• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni, Ne, and Creativity

Silveresque

First, state whether you use Ni or Ne (doesn't have to be dominant or auxiliary). How do you come up with ideas? What do you think of brainstorming?

I think I use Ni more than Ne, but I'm not sure about my type right now. When I come up with a creative solution or idea, I usually wouldn't be able to explain how I came up with it. I just think about it and an idea comes to me. If I like the idea, I might go with that, unless I think I can come up with something better, then I'll keep thinking. I'm not really trying to grasp at many different possibilities and then evaluate them later, it's more like I'm diving into a sea of ideas, searching for the one perfect idea, and when I find it I'll just know that's the one. Though it's not often that I actually find "the one". I usually end up settling for an idea that's good enough, though not really what I'd been searching for.

I've never really liked brainstorming. To me it just doesn't seem necessary, because if I focus on the kind of idea I'm looking for, I can come up with something creative. I don't really need to make a list of possible ideas, because all I need is one good one. I also don't like writing down every idea I come up with because I like to filter it out right away and only keep it in mind if it's one of the best ideas.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
First, state whether you use Ni or Ne (doesn't have to be dominant or auxiliary). How do you come up with ideas? What do you think of brainstorming?
I'm an Ni-dom. I hate brainstorming. It has never ever worked for me. In fact, if you try to get me to brainstorm, I will just sit there with a blank piece of paper and get annoyed at myself because I can't think of anything to write down :blush:

I think I use Ni more than Ne, but I'm not sure about my type right now. When I come up with a creative solution or idea, I usually wouldn't be able to explain how I came up with it. I just think about it and an idea comes to me. If I like the idea, I might go with that, unless I think I can come up with something better, then I'll keep thinking. I'm not really trying to grasp at many different possibilities and then evaluate them later, it's more like I'm diving into a sea of ideas, searching for the one perfect idea, and when I find it I'll just know that's the one. Though it's not often that I actually find "the one". I usually end up settling for an idea that's good enough, though not really what I'd been searching for.
The bolded part feels like Ne to me. I've never experienced anything like "a sea of ideas". :D

I've never really liked brainstorming. To me it just doesn't seem necessary, because if I focus on the kind of idea I'm looking for, I can come up with something creative. I don't really need to make a list of possible ideas, because all I need is one good one. I also don't like writing down every idea I come up with because I like to filter it out right away and only keep it in mind if it's one of the best ideas.
The bolded part kinda implies that you entertain "a lot of ideas" naturally -- which is something I don't do. If someone tries to get me to think about how to solve a problem, I usually find that I can't think about it right away. I don't immediately see the possibilities, so I can never go "Hmmm, I can do X, and I can do Y, but those two ways won't work because [reason], so I maybe I'll do Z".

For me, Ni doesn't seem to think about solutions -- it just focuses on defining the problem, with the belief that once the problem is understood correctly for what it is, the right solution will just emerge. Perhaps it's Ni+Ti in my case, but I'm usually focused on defining my thoughts -- then defining those sub-thoughts that are defining my main thoughts.

Hope that makes sense :blush:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, Ni doesn't seem to think about solutions -- it just focuses on defining the problem, with the belief that once the problem is understood correctly for what it is, the right solution will just emerge. Perhaps it's Ni+Ti in my case, but I'm usually focused on defining my thoughts -- then defining those sub-thoughts that are defining my main thoughts.

Interesting. You made me consider this a bit deeper. I see you do not brainstorm. It looks like you use a form of deduction to understand an issue/problem...Then you just wait for a solution to appear? That seems very Ni. But not so much Ti, as Ti is all about finding a solution, and making something work. But maybe as tert Ti, Ti is more just about deduction and understanding and not so much about finding a solution?

I do brainstorm. But I've also tested high on Ne before several times, and in contemplating functions and me. (there are really no good tests that I know of however) So I don't know how much is Ne/Ni.

So, you made me consider I really do use deductive methods (Ti?) to understand something/someone, but then I also use induction to put it all back together, which I think is Ni at work (with Fe/Te?). So it's like a V^ (mountain) of breaking down, putting back together. But mostly I lean toward inductive reasoning, which I perceive is due to my dom Ni.

Ti doms jump too quickly to solution's oriented thinking for me, have you noticed that as well? Not thorough enough. My Ti is definitely slave to my N.

Overall, I am a VERY slow thinker, but I'd say very thorough. (when it's a 'subject' I like).

Silveresque

I'm an Ni-dom. I hate brainstorming. It has never ever worked for me. In fact, if you try to get me to brainstorm, I will just sit there with a blank piece of paper and get annoyed at myself because I can't think of anything to write down :blush:

The bolded part feels like Ne to me. I've never experienced anything like "a sea of ideas". :D

The bolded part kinda implies that you entertain "a lot of ideas" naturally -- which is something I don't do. If someone tries to get me to think about how to solve a problem, I usually find that I can't think about it right away. I don't immediately see the possibilities, so I can never go "Hmmm, I can do X, and I can do Y, but those two ways won't work because [reason], so I maybe I'll do Z".

I didn't mean to imply that I come up with a lot of ideas. I'm actually kind of bad at that. When I say I dive into a sea of ideas, I'm not necessarily coming up with a lot of ideas, I'm just trying to focus and think of one good one. The sea metaphor was just to explain that I my thinking doesn't spread outward into many ideas, I'm diving forward and deep, looking for one good idea. It's hard to explain...:doh:

I kind of relate to the bolded part. In a way, I don't really need to sit down and try to come up with ideas, I think I focus more on the problem.

A

Anew Leaf

For me it's a combination of Fi + Ne working together to find ideas, sort through them, and explore them.

Ideas are never a problem for me. Follow through and focus are my problems.

If I do manage to cho-cho-choose (and there is a picture of a train! yeah, that's great ralph...) one idea, then I will allow it to expand outwards naturally.

Possibilities both fuel and block me with their tantalizing tapestry of delights.

pmj85

I think I'm a Ni dom, but I'm not entirely sure yet (possibly Fe dom). This is the way it works for me:

*Sit down to pen a succinct, eloquent letter of resignation with my mother, for my mother*

*Mother tries to throw some ideas at me, I get annoyed because I know full well that I have better ways of articulating her points within me... they're just out of reach right now*

*Leave it until the next day. Part way through work, open a new word document on my laptop and FLARGHALAHRAFGHALAGHR - one amazing resignation letter from fucking nowhere.*

Job done.

G

Glycerine

Fe dom: I analyze and try each option until something finally clicks. The solution comes from a mixture of the different trials. It's hard to reign in my brain until I get the right solution.

I actually soundboard (Fe) many of my ideas to other people and then consider their reactions to see if I'm missing anything (for verification or to revamp the idea but not for them to fix my problems).

pmj85

[MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION] - Interesting. As you may or may not have deduced from the above post (probably not, I could be ranting about anything) I'm currently trying to differentiate between INFJ and ENFJ as my type. It has become glaringly obvious that I use Fe and that I'm N rather than S. The order of my dominant / auxiliary functions is anyone's guess, though.

That said, I can identify with what you say above. In part, at least.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
How do you come up with ideas?

i use Ne

i don't think i necessarily come up with ideas.
but i think i'm good at spotting good ideas and
synthesizing them with other ideas to make
mutant idea babies.

if anything, i just really love consuming information,
and somehow in my head it stews and little haflings
and mutated ideas just pop out of my mouth.

What do you think of brainstorming?

this is one of the very few things that i like structured.
and i mean it in the sense of setup in regards of
multi-people brainstorming. i think it's important to
establish a framework so it doesn't spiral into some
form of circlejerk. i also like a strong facilitator that
knows how to handle the differences represented
in the group.

i'm very partial to the laddering ideas and use it
very often myself, because it allows every idea to
be considered, so even if someone gives a very
basic input, there are always ways to build off that.

G

Glycerine

[MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION] - Interesting. As you may or may not have deduced from the above post (probably not, I could be ranting about anything) I'm currently trying to differentiate between INFJ and ENFJ as my type. It has become glaringly obvious that I use Fe and that I'm N rather than S. The order of my dominant / auxiliary functions is anyone's guess, though.

That said, I can identify with what you say above. In part, at least.

I could deduce that you were either ENFJ or INFJ (Fe dom or Ni dom= NFJ). :) Do you get more energized by your thoughts or by other people?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't mean to imply that I come up with a lot of ideas. I'm actually kind of bad at that. When I say I dive into a sea of ideas, I'm not necessarily coming up with a lot of ideas, I'm just trying to focus and think of one good one. The sea metaphor was just to explain that I my thinking doesn't spread outward into many ideas, I'm diving forward and deep, looking for one good idea. It's hard to explain...:doh:
No, it makes sense. I relate. I definitely think it's Ne, though. I relate to the thought process of "The perfect idea is here somewhere... so where the hell is it?" and then hoping to god that it'll come to you in time. That is, if you're trying to be really creative. Otherwise, my brainstorming is like this example:

Say I need to get my friend a Christmas present. Here's how I brainstorm.
Have they mentioned in passing anything that they really wanted? Yes.
Were any of those things in my price range, and/or practical, and/or a good gift idea? Yes, one was practical, but it was very small, so they would want a supplemental gift. Okay, I'll keep that little gift in mind for later.
How about their interests? What do they like? Ok, they really like "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". Well, "My Little Pony" toys are all for little kids, and they wouldn't like that, and "My Little Pony" greeting cards suck too -- so maybe I should make them one instead, with a drawing on the front. Ok, that's perfect -- because that way I can mention Bronies, and Bronies are never mentioned in the official memorabilia. Awesome, one item down.
Oh crap -- turns out I have much less money to use to buy them a present, than I previously thought. Is there anything around the house I could regift? Yeah actually -- there's this thing I had lying around that I remembered that they commented on, that I don't want anymore. Maybe that plus the little gift, plus the homemade card? Yes, excellent!

/process. Although that ended up being really really Si/Te. So maybe this wasn't a useful post. :doh:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm an Ni dominant. When solving a problem, ideas just kind of come to me. I don't seek them out, but a single solution is just there. I don't really know how else to put it. When a lot of thought is required, it's more like working out solutions to a particular problem or perfecting a particular method than looking for other methods. Ni is deep, not wide. The way I see it, which I'm sure is influenced by being buddies with Te in my personality, is as a bit of a problem-solver. It doesn't come up with questions, but answers. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's the best way I can think of to define it, at least as I see it.

Silveresque

No, it makes sense. I relate. I definitely think it's Ne, though. I relate to the thought process of "The perfect idea is here somewhere... so where the hell is it?" and then hoping to god that it'll come to you in time. That is, if you're trying to be really creative. Otherwise, my brainstorming is like this example:

Say I need to get my friend a Christmas present. Here's how I brainstorm.
Have they mentioned in passing anything that they really wanted? Yes.
Were any of those things in my price range, and/or practical, and/or a good gift idea? Yes, one was practical, but it was very small, so they would want a supplemental gift. Okay, I'll keep that little gift in mind for later.
How about their interests? What do they like? Ok, they really like "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic". Well, "My Little Pony" toys are all for little kids, and they wouldn't like that, and "My Little Pony" greeting cards suck too -- so maybe I should make them one instead, with a drawing on the front. Ok, that's perfect -- because that way I can mention Bronies, and Bronies are never mentioned in the official memorabilia. Awesome, one item down.
Oh crap -- turns out I have much less money to use to buy them a present, than I previously thought. Is there anything around the house I could regift? Yeah actually -- there's this thing I had lying around that I remembered that they commented on, that I don't want anymore. Maybe that plus the little gift, plus the homemade card? Yes, excellent!

/process. Although that ended up being really really Si/Te. So maybe this wasn't a useful post. :doh:

It could be Ne, I still don't know. :shrug: Anyways, I don't really brainstorm like that. I prefer to just let things happen naturally, but if I have to come up with an idea and there's a deadline, that's about the only time I would actually brainstorm. If I were trying to come up with a present to get someone, it's different for every case, though here's one example:

She got me a colorful necklace for my birthday. People usually put some of their own personal preference into the gifts they choose for others, so that may imply that a necklace is something she would like to receive as a present. She does seem to be interested in fashion and wears necklaces often, so I think that's a good choice. :yes: I'll try to look for one in her style.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm pretty sure I'm Ni dom, because I'm the worst brainstormer the world has ever seen. Group projects with my ENTP buddy go something like this: she spitballs infinite crazy ideas. I shoot them down, one after another, until some little aspect of her plans just sets off the wheels of my brain, and the answer/plan comes together, all in an instant. Voila. It's magical, but not really, because the answer was waiting there all along. It just had to be found.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I generally don't brainstorm like "you're supposed to". I hate mind maps or anything of that ilk. I really, really hate mind maps, did I mention that? (Like why do I need to make a map of the connections I immediately perceive but cannot describe or define in words?)

Instead, I make lists of information. I don't make lists of ideas so much, it's more that I make lists of data and questions that pertain to the subject so I can guide my laser-beam thinking. Usually, a solution presents itself on its own once I've processed enough information.

Actually, a lot of my problem solving involves simply waiting. My unconscious tends to do a lot of assimilating behind my back, so I typically chuck as much stuff down into the chasm as I can and wait for the result. Because of this, I'm sometimes perceived as a little "slow". If you were to ask me to come up with an idea on the spot, my immediate answer is always "I can't, but I can if you give me a few minutes."

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is pretty interesting. I think "waiting for things to appear" is probably the closest I could come to articulating my process in this regard. Which is not very close.

I don't have a sea of self-generated ideas, that's for sure. I'm not very creative in that regard (lack of Ne?). However, I do feel like I have an ocean of all the thoughts, feelings, experiences, images, interactions with people, etc that have ever crossed my mind or heart. And when I need to solve a problem or come up with something...sometimes it can be pretty quick, sometimes it can take ages, but certain of those thoughts/feelings/images/etc will...swim to the surface and unite. And that will be the answer. And the connections will make sense to me, but they probably wouldn't to many people. In fact, sometimes they seem so obvious to me that I'd hardly even call them connections. They just ARE. I think that's how I write poetry too.

This doesn't make much sense. Sorry. :doh:

EDIT: The "ocean" metaphor might suggest that I can see all the different components swimming about. I can't really. It's more like darkness. And certain thoughts/images start to emerge out of the gloom and get sharper and stronger. And ultimately the ones which will come together and which I will use have a light shining on them in the darkness.

Last edited:

rav3n

Ni aux. Ideas come out of nowhere or they come from external stimuli. I hate brainstorming when it comes to work or important personal decisions (Te and Fi control-freakiness in action).

Brainstorming's a riot when it comes to something fun!

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, sometimes things take me a very long time to work out because it's like standing way too close to an Impressionist painting. I'm either in the middle of a situation or still too close to it. Everything is confused and blurred and there are a lot of different ways to see it and none of them really make sense. Then gradually...sometimes so frustratingly gradually...I stand farther and farther and farther back. And then I can see the picture properly and it makes sense. I was seeing it all along but not at an angle/distance for it to really make sense.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I use Ni. I tend to come up with ideas with a burst of inspiration, or a sudden realization of how things fit together. Once I have an idea of how a system operates, then I can use it to create whatever my vision is. The inspiration comes from just about any source, philosophical ideas, music, scientific discovery, you name it. I'm not a natural brainstormer per se, I tend to struggle to put down a flurry of ideas on paper, I'd rather think things over and just flow with my train of thought. I like thinking up of ideas in the brainstorming process, but often times it appears more like a netted mess that I have to detangle in order to make sense of it all. Usually my most creative work comes out of having a specific inner vision in mind and to use the resources I have in front of me to turn my vision to reality.

I tend to mull over my ideas over an extended period of time until I come out with something cohesive, and outline my plans to execute my goals.