• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If somebody is reclusive, but open...

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Say somebody tends to be a recluse - prefers their own company, doesn't really enjoy socializing outside the immediate family, and gets exhausted by crowds or mingling within a few hours...BUT, when the person IS with people tends to be very open about things, willingly sharing even their deepest feelings and thoughts about things without reservation.

Do you think a person like this would moire likely be one of the more outgoing introverts, or one of the more secluded extroverts?

What about in the reverse case: somebody who is VERY outgoing and social, talkative and open...but likes to keep their deepest self and feelings and personal issues very private and guarded?

xisnotx

Permabanned
Sounds like Fi vs Fe...in which case extroversion/introversion doesn't come into it.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Ahhhh, good point! If feelings are intraverted, one might have a tendency to internalize their true emotions regardless of extroversion.

...But if that's the case, why are ENFPs for example known for sharing their innermost emotions with everybody fairly openly...despite the fact that their emotional function is Fi rather than Fe?

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Ahhhh, good point! If feelings are intraverted, one might have a tendency to internalize their true emotions regardless of extroversion.

...But if that's the case, why are ENFPs for example known for sharing their innermost emotions with everybody fairly openly...despite the fact that their emotional function is Fi rather than Fe?

I think you missed the point. Fi values authenticity while Fe values harmony and social correctness. This leads FPs to bring out their inner feelings in situations where FJs will tend to stay behind a pleasant facade.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds like an outgoing introvert if you ask me. Although I should note, that congnitive functions (Lenore's, not Jung's) are so much about old school introversion/extroversion, but rather precision/applicability, or external/internal views of thw world.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first person strikes me as an introvert because even in the company of others their focus is on their inner world of thoughts/feelings.

The second person strikes me as an extrovert because they don't focus on their inner world.

Being guarded emotionally can be separate from MBTI type. You might look to enneagram for that.

This is not a Fi/Fe thing either. It's false that Fi types don't value harmony with others. Values are an individual's conclusion about what is important, but feeling is a way of reasoning. Fe & Fi types can form the same conclusion using different reasoning processes; they often do.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you missed the point. Fi values authenticity while Fe values harmony and social correctness. This leads FPs to bring out their inner feelings in situations where FJs will tend to stay behind a pleasant facade.

Fe does NOT value social correctness necessarily. People who use Fe OFTEN do mirror people, but that doesnt mean we follow the rules. Fe is simply aware of the values/roles/and emotional states of it's surroundings and we may or may not react as we so choose.

The first person strikes me as an introvert because even in the company of others their focus is on their inner world of thoughts/feelings.

This is not a Fi/Fe thing either. It's false that Fi types don't value harmony with others. Values are an individual's conclusion about what is important, but feeling is a way of reasoning. Fe & Fi types can form the same conclusion using different reasoning processes; they often do.

I like how we each addressed the Fe Fi from a different angle and yet have the same conclusion of sorts!

And if this sort of person would be an introvert... Then :gasp: that's me! I'll explain it this way. I prefer my own company most of the time, but when people are around I tend to get a feel for the mood and observe (i enjoy people watching). If i get the right vibe I'll jump in. The only times I really "seem extravert" is when I set the tone/vibe from the start (if there was none to begin with), like in hosting a party or public speaking. Then it's more like being an actor in a play and creating real time people watching. If I'm forced to join into a conversation with a vibe I can't read, or a vibe I don't want to mirror, then it's draining.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's a perfect description of a Supine, the fifth temperament. In the APS, this would be the "introverted extrovert". They "express" as an introvert, but respond as an extrovert.

This would fall into the Behind the Scenes Interaction Style category (ISF/INP), so the functions will depend on the whole type since there are four different BtS's (Phlegmatic can also be BtS, and they would be more take-it-or-leave-it with people).