• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Few Observations on Fundamental Differences between Types

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's difficult for me to imagine what an Fe often goes through when broaching a math problem. But from what I understand, the Fe tries to humanize everything. Imagine if you would a rising sun emanating happy little rays of light and with a smiley face drawn on it, and myriad other examples.

But this is far easier to do with nature, and far more difficult to do with dry, unemotional math problems. The Fe urge here is to see the numbers as having an almost human-like character. The Fe is going to try drawing each number with style. Now in my mind, this solving method is not conducive to getting the right answer.

Somehow I don't think this is an Fe approach to solving math problems :laugh: (If you have to make it function related, it looks more like an Ne/Se repsonse to getting bored with having to stick to math ;) ) I think we all solve math problems in a similar impersonal way. The way Fe would come into play would be more of giving more importance to a math problem that is somehow helpful to someone else. But that doesn't mean that an Fe type cannot do a math problem that lacks a personal connection.

Now for you Sensors. I'm not engaging in Sensor hatred here. But one thing I have noticed is how grounded you people are. I'm not talking about those who use a high amount of Intuition. I'm talking about those high-use Sensors who don't understand the concept of "outer space," or "galaxy," or "satellite," where this is not due to having a low IQ. These are extremes, of course. But extremes are helpful in understanding a mindset. And I'm not talking from theory, as I said, but from personal experiences I've had with people throughout the years. And my personal experience is utterly astonished by the variety of perspectives, for example, the SF young adult who doesn't know her alphabet yet.

So you've come across sensors who do not understand the concept of outer space? Well, I'm sure you'll be able to find intuitives who can't understand it either, you'll just have to look a little harder since they are only about a quarter of the population. How does not knowing the alphabet relate to this young adult being SF? I'd first suspect some unusual living circumstances, or a learning disability.... why relate it to type of all things?

But then, at the same extreme of the Intuitive, there is on the contrary no interest in the immediate present surroundings, and that's also a problem. This person is very disorganized and disoriented in the real world. Possibilities are not realities, and for this person, never will be. This person's style of dress will be totally off-key, for example, a heterosexual male with long, straight, green hair, and wearing earrings. This is just a sign to the external world that something is not right. I'm not, however, saying that it's wrong. But extremes are rarely if ever healthy. This person likely thinks there is something wrong; however, the problem is with you and not with him. An Intuitive who is more socially functional will dress with an individual flair, and only go the "crazy" route during times of extreme stress.

If being an extreme intuitive means no interest in surroundings, why would an extreme intuitive bother to color their hair and pierce their ears? ;) If possibilities are not realities, then an extreme intuitive would be more likely to just think about coloring their hair and never bother to actually do it because the reality of their hair color is irrelevant, right?

Also, how is this style extreme?

P.S. Your title for this thread is perfect :D

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm.. I don't really get what this thread is about. Anyway, ENFP computer programmer here!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Somehow I don't think this is an Fe approach to solving math problems :laugh: (If you have to make it function related, it looks more like an Ne/Se repsonse to getting bored with having to stick to math ;) ) I think we all solve math problems in a similar impersonal way. The way Fe would come into play would be more of giving more importance to a math problem that is somehow helpful to someone else. But that doesn't mean that an Fe type cannot do a math problem that lacks a personal connection.

Great minds thinking together again, Luna. (taps my noggin.)

I was just thinking of this thread when I was watching a documentary about a guy who is doing stem cell research. He appears very much a feeler- perhaps of the Fe-Ni variety. A doctor and scientist, his daughter got a spinal cord injury. In the video, he's making great strides towards finding a cure for these things. He's very smart and does a lot of mythbusting regarding the ethics on the issue. Anyway, I'm guessing he (and his hired lab people) are fine at solving math and making deductions. But that's not where the cognitive function relates here... It relates to the motivation- which is very people oriented and very personal.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Retarded" discussion moved to feedback :)cheese:).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm.. I don't really get what this thread is about. Anyway, ENFP computer programmer here!

This thread isn't about stereotyping. But I have met some interesting people who behave according to stereotypes. Some knew their MBTI results and some didn't know anything about it.

About the Sensor who doesn't know what a satellite is, or what is meant by something being in orbit - that's an extreme, and these pure extremes are more illuminating of type than the mixtures.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
About the Sensor who doesn't know what a satellite is, or what is meant by something being in orbit - that's an extreme, and these pure extremes are more illuminating of type than the mixtures.

Stating something doesn't make it so. Care to explain why an extreme example that would be difficult/impossible to find in real life is a better illumination than a representative example?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So you've come across sensors who do not understand the concept of outer space? Well, I'm sure you'll be able to find intuitives who can't understand it either, you'll just have to look a little harder since they are only about a quarter of the population.

I'm not talking about a strong Sensor's ability to understand these concepts. I eliminated IQ as a factor right up front. So what else could it be? Hmmm. How about - interest? Perhaps the same mental orientation that makes Star Trek look stupid to him drives this person to ignore the entire topic? It might have something to do with the lack of utility in science fiction concepts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stating something doesn't make it so. Care to explain why an extreme example that would be difficult/impossible to find in real life is a better illumination than a representative example?

Because I can understand the color white better when it's not all mixed up with other colors.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It depends on the person. But I'm not saying an Fe can't solve a math problem. I'm saying it is more difficult when feeling issues are always on the forefront of consciousness. Those are psychological needs of more pressing importance. Then you may say that a Ti-dom may also have such needs. Yes, but not all the time as with the extreme Fe. And it depends on the amount of control I have, or the significance the problem has for me. For example, if my wife suddenly walked in here crying and asking for a divorce, it would be much more difficult for me to concentrate on this because some other function is trying to come to the surface of my consciousness in an effort to deal with this new issue.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've become a fan of the show "Kitchen Nightmares" starring Chef Gordon Ramsay. In the last episode, this Italian restaurant owner, whom I identified as an ESFJ, was more concerned with defending the quality of the food they serve than listening to Ramsay's judgment on it. And she was just Fe'ing all over the place, with the Sensor side processing the response toward aggression: mostly, in calling him a jerk. These functions interfere with the learning process, especially the side of Feeling which confuses the external world with "self." So a judgment of the food becomes a judgment of and reflection upon one's self.

Defense Mechanism = Incorporation: "The assimilation of the object into one's own ego and/or superego. This is one of the earliest mechanisms utilized."

Later on in the episode, after Ramsay softened up her defenses with a remodeling job, the anger turned into tears (although sometimes they were tears of frustration).

G

Glycerine

So how does that exactly relate to one's math abilities?
I am not the best at math but I think I am above average at it. Even through a chain of events where I was sent back two years in Math, I still managed to get above average on the math section of the practice ACT with no studying.

Also, I am taking "Intro to Logic" for fun..... I don't need the credits and even with minimal effort, I have an A-.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've become a fan of the show "Kitchen Nightmares" starring Chef Gordon Ramsay. In the last episode, this Italian restaurant owner, whom I identified as an ESFJ, was more concerned with defending the quality of the food they serve than listening to Ramsay's judgment on it. And she was just Fe'ing all over the place, with the Sensor side processing the response toward aggression: mostly, in calling him a jerk. These functions interfere with the learning process, especially the side of Feeling which confuses the external world with "self." So a judgment of the food becomes a judgment of and reflection upon one's self.

Defense Mechanism = Incorporation: "The assimilation of the object into one's own ego and/or superego. This is one of the earliest mechanisms utilized."

Later on in the episode, after Ramsay softened up her defenses with a remodeling job, the anger turned into tears (although sometimes they were tears of frustration).

The person you're talking about sounds like a retard, (hopefully she's not a poster on this forum or I will be you-know-what)- but it's funny anyway. :laugh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

dont know what is the worser thing, having pride or domineering the world with ones ego

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So how does that exactly relate to one's math abilities?
I am not the best at math but I think I am above average at it. Even through a chain of events where I was sent back two years in Math, I still managed to get above average on the math section of the practice ACT with no studying.

Also, I am taking "Intro to Logic" for fun..... I don't need the credits and even with minimal effort, I have an A-.

I don't know why everybody has to take this personally.