• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Voice Typing?

ygolo

My termites win
I am wondering if tone-of-voice (and other body language) can be better used to identify type than photos alone. I rejected the idea of photo-typing.

But video-typing maybe more accurate.

I think we will usually be right on any dichotomy that is an extreme for some person.

I vs E, I think comes across fairly well in a voice (as well as in frequency of speech).

Some people have a real "airy" manner of speech that seems to reveal being an iNtuitor.

No offense, but had I heard particular people talk earlier, I would have had a hard time believing they were a Sensing type, if they told me so.

I probably still would have (since they individually determined their type), but it would have made me more skeptical.

littlemissgiggles

MBTI Type
entj
Enneagram
Video-typing is an interesting idea. Mannerisms would probably be really helpful in identifying a person's type.

To do it properly though, you would need to film someone without his or her knowledge. People act differently when they know a camera is on them.

Voice-typing is interesting too. You'd have to look at speech patterns, though, not necessarily the sound or quality of the voice. What do you mean by an "airy manner of speech"?

As far as frequency of speech, it seems obvious that it would point to an E/I difference, but it might depend on what the person was talking about. Someone who is comfortable with a topic might tend to speak more quickly about it, regardless of preference.

Aren't there videos on youtube with different types?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't really think you can accurately guess someone's type without examining their acumen and hobbies etc. and then figuring which functions they prefer. You can make a guess, sure, and a lot of the time, you can get it right. I'm usually right on. Even still, I don't put any stock in my ability 'cause usually isn't always, so there's obviously no constant, and if that's the case, I might just be lucky/unconsciously in tune with type statistics. I'm not convinced it's my ability to actually type these people.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It might be useful for introverts and extraverts, but I can't see how for anything else.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Agree with littlemissgiggles' thought about filming the person without their knowledge. People tend to be more "pretentious" when placed in front of a camera. Although discomfort with being filmed might be an indication of a shy introvert...

I think it'll be best to do cross-section sampling across time so that you pick up on behavior of the person across different situations. That will be more accurate.... segments doesn't need to be long... like 30 sec per clip for say 3-4 clips will work fine.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: are you refering to my tendancy to say irrelevant things or trail off in the middle of sentences ygolo?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:blush: those things are frequently complained about when I chat with people- I was just wondering

:)doh: I need to be less self centered!)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
So airy as in sporadically jumping off on a tangent? :thinking: You got me curious Ygolo...

MerkW

So airy as in sporadically jumping off on a tangent? :thinking: You got me curious Ygolo...

If I understood Ygolo correctly, I think by "airy" he meant having a distant or dreamy quality to one's voice.

ygolo

My termites win
Not sure how to describe it. But some people devinitely have an abstract way of speaking.

I don't just mean using metaphors or colorful speech. In-fact, depending on the metaphors chosen, that not "airy" at all.

In High School, we had a day when the parents would go to all the classes that their child had, and meet all the teachers.

Junior year, my parents used the same word to describe both my physics teacher (whom I would now type as ENTP) and my art/photography teacher (whom I would now type as INFP), "abstract." I am pretty sure my parents weren't familiar with MBTI. But they actually had a convorsation that resembled:

Dad:"Pretty descent teachers overall. That art techer was pretty abstract, though."
Mom:"Talk about abstract. The one who was really abstract was that physics teacher. I had no clue what he was talking about."

I can only give examples from my own life, since I don't watch enough TV/movies to give a common-reference for "Airy."

But abstract language is on part of it. But there is also a voice tonality component.

Anyone listen to "Talk of the Nation"? The host of that show is slightly "airy."
I haven't watched enough, but I think Aaron Brown and Aderson Cooper are both slightly "airy."

Think of someone more extreme.

No offense again, and I haven't heard you talk for that long, but whatever, I would have been fairly skeptical if you told me you were an S.

(Please don't consider it an insult, I find I am somewhat "airy" myself)

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, I believe voice-typing has some validity. I also believe photo-typing does. :)

Example: Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter movies definitely sounds INFP.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd be curious to know what you think about my type now that you've heard me speak, ygolo. :)

Edit: I understand this isn't a "type people based on their voice!" thread but a thread about the legitimacy of voice typing as a concept, but I can't help it, I'm still curious. If it derails your thread badly I'll split it out.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I wonder what I sound like. Maybe I'll actually talk more if I get on ventrillo again.

I always get soft spoken, sweet, I sound nice. I even had friends tell me that they were too tired/drunk/stressed to decode my speech, I don't think I talk in riddles but apparently I do.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think that different types have different laughing styles, too. The INTs that I know laugh with a high pitch in the backs of their throats. I thought that the similarity between them was interesting, since none of them know each other.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can only speak for myself and relate what others have told me about how they perceive my speech. I've heard the same thing often enough to think their pov is valid and could possibly be a marker:

My speech seems to lack the "usual" cadence. I hesitate where others don't noticeably. IE: stop and think/evaluate even in mid sentence.

My voice seems to be monotone or less than "usually" animated to many.

The rest of what I've been told has more to do with actual content so I'll leave that out but I've gotten pretty much the same comments from others irl on that. I've recently started trying to type people I meet and, recently, ran into a sales person (computer store) I noticed had the speech pattern I've been told I do... I asked and.. yes, another INTP.

littlemissgiggles

MBTI Type
entj
Enneagram
Duke of York: I didn't listen to the whole thing but your tone sounds not unlike an ISTJ friend of mine.

I wonder if Introversion and Thinking preferences would lead someone to have something of a monotone quality (especially if nervous) and if Judging would cause someone to be very straightforward and direct. S and N might be more related to the content of speech, so if an ISTJ and INTJ were to read a scripted piece, they might be indistinguishable.

Maybe the INF combination would lead to the "airy" quality? Less animated than E/F combination, more animated than I/T combination, and if speaking in abstract terms, it would be an interesting middle ground between the two.

Just theorizing out loud...

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Here is mine:

YouTube - INTJ Introduction

Does my voice sound like an introvert?

There are quite a few other videos, too. Just search on YouTube for a certain type, and often there will be videos. A few I know of: INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ, INTP, ENFP, ISTJ, and others.

Well, yes, you do sound INTJ. Precise, with pauses, structured and a little "flat". Nice video, BTW. I enjoyed it.
But in general, voice typing seems nonsense to me, since we constantly adapt to audience and surroundings. I can imagine sounding quite E to people. And when speeching, people often see me as ESFJ, the exact opposite of what I am :)

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I feel caught now that I took the effort of watching some INTP video's on You Tube. There is this one video where an INTP points out similarities in speech. And yes, he has a point, in private I speak in the same start-stop-at-any-time-speech :)
YouTube - INTP