• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality types that tend to become alcoholics or drug abusers?

curiousel

Is there a group of personality types that appears to be dominant in rehab clinics?
What are the types that end up drinking too much, too often?
What personality types are to be found in drug abuser therapies?

What about the opposite, statistically, what types aren´t self-indulgent with this kind of stuff, and why?

Do ENFP and ESTP have this tendency?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard INTJs have a high rate of alcoholism.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI: SPs, INJs.... really any type
Enneagram: unhealthy 5, 6, 7, 8w7, 4
Instinct Variant: Sx, So

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alcoholism is a DISEASE and will afflict people of EVERY TYPE, period.
To think otherwise is delusional.
Does influenza only affect Guardians and Rationals?
Hell no.
This is silly.
Death and Disease DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.
This is a fundamental principle of the law of NATURE.

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think that the types that crave more pleasure would be more likely to indulge in those type of things, like an ESFP, maybe? Just an observation.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here is a study of it:

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/34/3/370.full

It does seem to correlate with type to some degree.

"Total patient group–normative group comparisons
As shown in Table 1⇔, individuals with Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, and Perceiving single-factor MBTI preferences respectively were significantly over-represented among the overall group of 90 alcohol/substance-use disorder patients, when compared to the normative population data. Individuals with Extroverted preferences were significantly under-represented, as were those with Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging preferences. As shown in Table 2⇔, the overall patient group significantly more often consisted of Introverted/ Perceiving, Sensing/Feeling, Sensitive/Perceiving, Feeling/Perceiving, Introverted/Sensing, and Introverted/Feeling two-factor types, relative to the normative population. Also, as shown in Table 2⇔, Sensing/Thinking, Intuitive/Thinking, Intuitive/ Judging, Thinking/Judging, Extroverted/Introverted, Extroverted/Thinking, and Introverted/ Thinking two-factor types in the overall patient group were significantly under-represented, when compared to the normative population. With respect to four-factor MBTI types as shown in Table 3⇔, a significantly greater percentage of the overall patient group was over-represented as being Introverted/Sensing/Feeling/Perceiving and Introverted/ Intuitive/Feeling/Perceiving types, when compared to the normative population."

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that the types that crave more pleasure would be more likely to indulge in those type of things, like an ESFP, maybe? Just an observation.

Respectfully disagreed.
Those inclined to wish to escape pain are just as likely to drink excessively as "pleasure seeking."
Also, what if the pleasure seeker values sex and not being drunk?
Having an urge to seek pleasure is one thing, what "poison" such a person has an affinity for is another part of the equation.

Spaceskye

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Respectfully disagreed.
Those inclined to wish to escape pain are just as likely to drink excessively as "pleasure seeking."
Also, what if the pleasure seeker values sex and not being drunk?
Having an urge to seek pleasure is one thing, what "poison" such a person has an affinity for is another part of the equation.

I agree.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

We all bleed the same color.
There is much we all have in common because of this.
Studies and statistics are great, but ultimately they are conducted on a finite group of people in less than real circumstances and then statistically grommed to appear to apply to the population as a whole.
I managed the actuarial services contract at the Florida Medicaid Program for three years recently.
I've seen statistics prove and disprove anything management wanted them to.
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics, believe it.
Sometimes a little common sense and humility go a lot farther than empirical experimentation and statistical evaluation of the experiment's results.
Just my .02.

Have a nice evening!

-Alex

KDude

Just admit it Halla.. you're an ESTP alky. I'm here if you need me.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eating Disorders & Addictions of the Types

Type 1 The Reformer
Excessive use of diets, vitamins, and cleansing techniques (fasts, diet pills, enemas). Under-eating for self-control: in extreme cases anorexia and bulimia. Alcohol to relieve tension.
Type 2 The Helper
Abusing food and over-the-counter medications. Bingeing, especially on sweets and carbohydrates. Over-eating from feeling "love-starved;" in extreme cases bulimia. Hypochondria to look for sympathy.
Type 3 The Achiever
Over-stressing the body for recognition. Working out to exhaustion. Starvation diets. Workaholism. Excessive intake of coffee, stimulants, amphetamines, cocaine, steroids or excessive surgery for cosmetic improvement.
Type 4 The Individualist
Over-indulgence in rich foods, sweets, alcohol to alter mood, to socialize, and for emotional consolation. Lack of physical activity. Bulimia. Depressants. Tobacco, prescription drugs, or heroin for social anxiety. Cosmetic surgery to erase rejected features.
Type 5 The Investigator
Poor eating and sleeping habits due to minimizing needs. Neglecting hygiene and nutrition. Lack of physical activity. Psychotropic drugs for mental stimulation and escape, narcotics for anxiety.
Type 6 The Loyalist
Rigidity in diet causes nutritional imbalances ("I don't like vegetables.") Working excessively. Caffeine and amphetamines for stamina, but also alcohol and depressants to deaden anxiety. Higher susceptibility to alcoholism than many types.
Type 7 The Enthusiast
The type most prone to addictions: stimulants (caffeine, cocaine, and amphetamines), Ecstasy, psychotropics, narcotics, and alcohol
but tend to avoid other depressants. Wear body out with effort to stay "up." Excessive cosmetic surgery, pain killers.
Type 8 The Challenger
Ignore physical needs and problems: avoid medical visits and check-ups. Indulging in rich foods, alcohol, tobacco while pushing self too hard leads to high stress, strokes, and heart conditions. Control issues central, although alcoholism and narcotic addictions are possible.
Type 9 The Peacemaker
Over-eating or under-eating due to lack of self-awareness and repressed anger. Lack of physical activity. Depressants and psychotropics, alcohol, marijuana, narcotics to deaden loneliness and anxiety.

For more information about all of the Enneagram addictive personality types and the self-defeating patterns they form with themselves and in their relationships, see the Enneagram type descriptions and the books Personality Types and The Wisdom of the Enneagram from with the above chart has been taken. For practices that can be helpful to the types to overcome their addictions and imbalances, see Understanding the Enneagram and Enneagram Transformations.

--------------------

My experiences: As a 6, I am an alcoholic, and I do use stimulants daily, to stay alert and awake. I don't seem to have any nutritional balances due to rigidity in diet, though. I generally like and enjoy a wide variety of foods. I would say that most of the description fits me.

As an 8, my S.O. also indulges in rich foods. He will eat a whole bag of candy I bought, and I have to watch what I buy. He does avoid medical visits and checkups. He doesn't really have a problem with alcohol today, but he had problems with alcohol and cocaine previously. He is addicted to cigarettes, and still has massive cravings even though he quit. I think the description fits him fairly well.

As a 7, my dad was DEFINITELY the most addictive person I have ever seen. He had to actively be addicted to something all the time, whether it be waffles, coffee, cigs, alcohol, pain-killers, etc. He hit rehab several times for alcohlism and was a MASSIVE alcoholic. He also did have cosmetic surgery. This description fits.

As a 9, my mom does alternate between over and under eating. She will gain a bunch of weight, and then eat like a bird and lose it all. She has been on anti-depressants and sleeping pills, but has never had issue with any other drugs or alcohol, mainly because she has never tried them too much.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
really? why would INTJs drink more than enough?

I think you can work backwards and if you see an alcoholic who is type XXXX you can break down their cognitive functions seeing what drove them to it. Of course, I guess you mean 'all things being equal'? Because people who are the children of alcoholics themselves or otherwise grew up with it are more likely to become alcoholics, as are those who have suffered trauma/instability in childhood, are constantly surrounded by alcohol and encouraged to drink, or basically currently suffer from depression/trauma/"hard times" etc.

As an ENFP I will say we probably have a reputation for doing things in excess but personally, I don't have the discipline to become : anorexic, alcoholic, addicted to gambling, etc. Though I have been told I am "a glutton for girls" :alttongue: I am more about short bursts of obsession about something then I'm over it and it plateaus to a very mild state. Actually, I'm much more likely to become addicted to shopping or food or sexy time than alcohol.

Wait, too much sharing. :doh:

Were you talking specifically alcoholics or addicts in general?

Type 7 The Enthusiast
The type most prone to addictions:

I told you! Stereotyping us!

stimulants (caffeine, cocaine, and amphetamines), Ecstasy, psychotropics, narcotics, and alcohol

Oh hell no. Why would an extraverted 7 need stimulants? No, no, no. Stimulants are teh gross and will rewire me to a super depressive state. Upper + Upper = Downer. You obviously have never met me on a normal day. My introvert brother used to yell at me all the time growing up to stop being "so hyper and weird". I'm a party 24/7. Except for when I'm lazy and all I want to do is sleep on the couch watching Netflix and eating junk food. I told you - I don't have enough discipline to be an addict. Binger? Okay, that makes more sense. :alttongue:

Pyschotropics? Sounds like a jungle party.

Narcotics? Like cocaine? OMG, no, no, no. And that's a work drug, not a party drug, anyway. So many uppers are work drugs. They do nothing for naturally energetic extroverts, or so says I. If I need energy for a work out or whatnot I'll drink coffee, lots and lots of coffee.

Alcohol just tastes fucking disgusting. How can anyone enjoy the *taste* of it? Same for cigarettes. And marijuana? ALLEGEDLY and HYPOTHETICALLY speaking I have no idea what the big deal is. It makes me go :huh: If someone told me I had to be drunk every day for a week my sympathetic nervous system was induce vomiting now to get ready. Truthfully, I'm glad I've never found anything super 'bad' for me that is so enjoyable. Gambling is kinda fun but losing money is a major buzzkill and after I blew threw $120 in 15 minutes in Vegas years ago that was my first and last foray in grown up gambling. Other stuff is meh in itself. As a 7 I'm addicted to new experiences, which includes exploring new people and relationships. Getting on a plane to an unknown destination, getting lost in a club with thumping music, and finding cute people to date are much more visceral thrills for me.

I dunno, that's why I think it's similar for other ENFP 7's. I doubt we're the most likely or highly likely to become alkies or addicts. I truly enjoy life and wouldn't want to fuck up my ability to live it by becoming addicted to something or being constantly brain and sensory addled or chaining myself to debt. In my old age I've even cut down majorly on spending and decided when it comes to closets that less is more. Are ENFPs likely to be casual users of recreational drugs, binge drinkers, and a little loose with our sex lives? MMMAAAAAYYYYBE. But addicts? No.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are ENFPs likely to be casual users of recreational drugs, binge drinkers, and a little loose with our sex lives? MMMAAAAAYYYYBE. But addicts? No.

I think "binge drinking" is actually linked to alcoholism. It would still be considered "alcohol abuse", at the least. "Casual users of recreational drugs" may be abuse too, depending on how often, how much, and how you are using.

I don't drink excessively usually, but I am still an alcoholic. (I call myself that still, because I have a tendency to abuse alcohol, and cause negative effects to my relationships and life as a result). And you don't have to drink everyday to be an alcoholic.

--------------------

I would say from my experiences, that type 7 is the most likely to be addicted, as the book says. My S.O.'s best friend is also type 7, and he is an alcoholic, and has diabetes now as a result of poor diet, and has been forced to do massive changes to diet. He pretty-much fits the bill as well. I've known other 7's who fit the description. So while I think these are areas we tend to struggle with, I don't think it means that any of us will become addicts. It just means we may struggle with these areas, especially. It's obviously not a predictor of what-will-become, but what could become.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alcoholism is a DISEASE and will afflict people of EVERY TYPE, period.
To think otherwise is delusional.
Does influenza only affect Guardians and Rationals?
Hell no.
This is silly.
Death and Disease DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.
This is a fundamental principle of the law of NATURE.

+1000

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can think of heavy drug users and/or drinkers that i know of almost every type. i can see type maybe being linked to being more likely to experiment with drugs, but an addictive personality is something you're born with.