• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types better equipped to go through physical and psychological torture?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]
Self Preservation deals with safety, comfort, avoidance of self detriment and tending to one's overall well being. thus, they will probably be must more devastated by torture than a self preservation last person who don't notice pain as much (classic example being the athlete who accrues a serious injury, doesn't notice and still wants to play after their coach insists they sit down)

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are the types that will be able to deal better under a situation of high stress such as:
-physical torture or physical abuse?
-psychological torture or psychological abuse?

What are the types that will be able to get over it faster and without suffering much from post-traumatic disorders or anxieties, and deal remarkably well while being tortured?
What types would be the most vulnerable and suffer the most during and after the torture?

-physical torture or physical abuse?

I imagine INT's for the detachment and reasoning

-psychological torture or psychological abuse?

This one is more tricky, but i think possibly ENF's, the reaspn being that they (when mature) are a lot more able to deal with emotions and move on. I know a shed load of them who have come through the other side by dealing with it.

What are the types that will be able to get over it faster and without suffering much from post-traumatic disorders or anxieties, and deal remarkably well while being tortured?

Two very different types for this. Under torture would be the detached types but i think they would more likely have ongoing difficulties as a result.

But, you know, everyone is different. Some types are more able to forgive, prehaps they would cope with the long term effects better.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ i think gem's got a good point about torture in the moment vs torture aftereffects. just because someone doesn't break in the moment doesn't mean they won't hurt for a long, long time.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Self Preservation deals with safety, comfort, avoidance of self detriment and tending to one's overall well being. thus, they will probably be must more devastated by torture than a self preservation last person who don't notice pain as much (classic example being the athlete who accrues a serious injury, doesn't notice and still wants to play after their coach insists they sit down)

Mightn't you say that their drive for self-preservation will lead them to get over it the best?

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
The O.P. poses a very interesting and difficult question.

There are just too many variables to consider, so I really don't know right now.

I know that I can't handle much physical pain, but I can endure (and have endured) all kinds of psychological torture.

Elfboy and Zara make some really good points.

I'll be watching this thread. :popc1:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty good at taking psychological torture, not so good at physical torture.

redacted

Am I the only one who doesn't think T would be an advantage? I don't see why it would be.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Am I the only one who doesn't think T would be an advantage? I don't see why it would be.

Ability to more easily separate from one's emotions.

I certainly don't think Fs would have the advantage.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty good at taking psychological torture, not so good at physical torture.

same here. I'd say psychologically torturing me is almost impossible actually, but physical torture makes me want to kill myself lol

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mightn't you say that their drive for self-preservation will lead them to get over it the best?

physical torture: no
psychological torture: yes

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i have no qualms in finding somebody else to take my torturee seat.
i think i could even strike a deal, i'll send three replacements.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would break almost immediately. The after-effects and deformities after the torture, even if survived, are too horrifying to think about. I wouldn't want to live with the damage done for life.

That's for physical torture. Psychological torture....that's pretty hard to do for me. Playing Taylor Swift songs on heavy repeat might do it, but then I'd be the one inflicting the physical torture.

redacted

Ability to more easily separate from one's emotions.

I certainly don't think Fs would have the advantage.

Three things:
1) I don't agree that Ts are more able (an MBTI faux pas, no?) to separate from their emotions. They are just less consciously oriented towards them, which makes their personal narrative include less about them. They are no less present, though, and they have no less effect on cognition.
2) Being focused less on emotion most of the time actually makes T types less good at processing them (on average), not more. An F type is cognitively specialized towards thinking about emotion.
3) An F type with a strong value against breaking is likely to be more determined than a T type.

I'm not trying to claim that F types would be better; I'm just saying it's not at all clear they'd be worse.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
1) I don't agree that Ts are more able (an MBTI faux pas, no?) to separate from their emotions. They are just less consciously oriented towards them, which makes their personal narrative include less about them. They are no less present, though, and they have no less effect on cognition.

I don't think this is true.

2) Being focused less on emotion most of the time actually makes T types less good at processing them (on average), not more. An F type is cognitively specialized towards thinking about emotion.

While I think this is partially true, I don't think it tells the fully story.

Fs are also far more consumed by their emotions.

3) An F type with a strong value against breaking is likely to be more determined than a T type.

I considered this as well, and I think there's some truth to it.

I don't know if it outweighs the other factors, though.

Particularly in interesting cases like ITJs, who have PiFi dominant loops, and ISTPs, who are so detached from their feelings, in general.

(I don't include INTPs, cuz, let's be real, INTPs are generally a bunch of wimps.)

I'm not trying to claim that F types would be better; I'm just saying it's not at all clear they'd be worse.

I see the point, I just don't think it's right.

I think there's a reason why everyone's been going with T-types.

And I did, and still would, put IFPs as probably better than NTPs (and maybe even ESTPs).

One of the odder things is that I think ISPs would be reasonably good at taking the physical torture, despite the fact that they have Se high in their functional ordering, which, in other cases (like ESPs), would make me think the person would not be suited to physical torture. I think it might be because the ISPs could go into their dominant loop, totally blocking out/negating the fact that they have auxiliary Se, and might even be able to use it for temporary (!) moments of reprieve, whereby they expunge all that physical abuse in an instant of intensity, and then go back to their introverted dominant loop. I don't think the ESPs would be able to do this in the same way; they'd be too caught up in the physical sensations. Ok, enough thinking demented thoughts about torture for the night...

:offtobed:

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
My mothers boyfriend was somewhat of a ridiculous control freak. We didn't really have options at the time so we moved in with him. He was very self centered and demanding. So as a child I was always forced to stand in the corner and not speak or do anything or touch the walls or slouch and basically remain lifeless for hours on end. I would be punished because of something very trivial like 'slamming a door too firmly' or 'eating someplace besides the table(even outside)' or 'being loud in the house'._. I don't know if this counts as physical abuse, but it did make me more introverted and restrained to a degree. I didn't care that much since I really do enjoy my thoughts(even the malicious ones) I would think about how fucking ignorant and barbaric this person was that I had to suffer under. I would think about why I was even at that house in the first place. I would think about what I could do to make him suffer much more than I suffered when he suppressed my thoughts with his way. I would think of elaborate plots to murder him and hide the evidence. After all that(30seconds has gone by in the corner) I just think...'Well idgaf because in reality he has the maturity of a 5 yr old who doesn't want to go to bed' and then I would shrug it off because I know better. Besides, he gave me a chance to reflect and think of more possibilities to become a better person. :)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(I don't include INTPs, cuz, let's be real, INTPs are generally a bunch of wimps.)

But they don't have the Fi that would make them so firmly rooted in their ideals (which I'm presuming the torturer is trying to get them to go against). Nor do they have the Se that would get them caught up in the physical sensation and experience.

I'd actually say INTPs would fare the best. At least during the torture. I could see how their tertiary Si could dredge up bad memories long after.

I think there's a reason why everyone's been going with T-types.

I think it's for the reasons described above, but I also suspect that some people automatically jump to that answer because of the "T = tough" stereotype. Or they subscribe to the belief that T's are meaner than F's, and the assumption following is - if they can dish it, obviously they can take it.

To play the devil's advocate, I'd say that people who 'dish' it would be the worst at 'taking' it - because they purposefully dish out what they think of as painful and harmful, which may be their subjective opinion based on the reactions they've observed from others - but I think it's more likely that they're projecting what THEY themselves have been the most hurt by.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To play the devil's advocate, I'd say that people who 'dish' it would be the worst at 'taking' it - because they purposefully dish out what they think of as painful and harmful, which may be their subjective opinion based on the reactions they've observed from others - but I think it's more likely that they're projecting what THEY themselves have been the most hurt by.

Could be for some, but I think some people dish what seems to be popular to dish.... like "ignorant" or "stupid".
Also, I think some people work strategically to dish what they think the other person would be most hurt by.
And then, I think some people are just frustrated and venting.

I also think that some people who dish don't hurt as much as others, because of the fact that people who subject themselves to thrashings train themselves to care less; they become hardened to it. Or, they just enjoy dishing and receiving the dishings.....

I don't think it's that simple to determine.

I've noticed that I don't get hurt by things people say on the internet; what I do get angry at is if I feel I have been abused and/or that I have no control over the situation. I have real issues with feeling out-of-control of my situation or my life, which a lot of times, motivates me to overdo learning, working, etc.