• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What function(s) cause daydreaming?

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm going to talk about daydreaming. But I want to point out that there is no visual aspect in what I am describing. It is all audible. The people in my daydream talk back, but I never confuse their words for being audible. Many times I am talking out loud to myself (I do not make voices for other people in the daydream), other times I am having the conversation in my mind. Thoughts are always in conversational form.

It begins instinctually never consciously. Sometimes I don't even realize I am doing it until I'm half way through a daydream. I will continue even after I am consciously aware of what is going on.

I very rarely speak out loud when others are in the room, although I will go through the daydream internally in the presence of others. Sometimes my lips are moving, but if I notice I consciously stop them from moving and continue on my daydream.

I want to describe how and when this occurs.

When I'm learning something I consume information. I think about the information I'm reading and try to form an understanding of it. When I feel I have grasped the information I generally go into daydream mode. The daydream will generally consist of me having a conversation with someone, or a group of people. In the daydream I assume the role of an expert even though I just learned the information.

Changing …

Before certain events I do the same thing where I daydream an entire scenario before I encounter it. Say I'm going on a job interview. I will enter a daydream where I am interacting with the person having the interview. When I was younger I remember doing this before I would ask a girl. Often times unconsciously I feel this internal interaction is enough and I never actually follow through with the experience.

Changing …

When I am watching something like a movie, the news, or reading a fiction book. I may go into daydream mode and relive the scene. If it was something like the news I will daydream that I am in a position of power where I can actually make a change. Again it is conversational form, perhaps I'm giving a press conference or perhaps I'm sitting with other government officials and I am telling them what I want to happen.

I can continue but I think you have gotten the point by now. What function(s) are being used here? Or does this go far beyond function theory?

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
I want to add two more things. I do this very frequently throughout the day. Let's say 5 - 10 times per day. I have already done it with this thread. I have already talked to you all in my mind regarding this issue. Which is how I came to want to write the following.

One more example. After I have an interaction with someone I will often times relive that interaction saying and doing things differently (i.e. better).

R

Riva

In my experience IxxPs are the most likely to day dream.
Introverted judging functions make one has to make their own judgments of everything.
It cannot accept pre-existing standards. (Ti and Fi doms.)
It has to make its own judgments.
Therefore most of the time they appear to be day dreaming.
They are not actually day dreaming but putting the pieces together to come up with their own conclusions.
This is actually quite smart.
But also consumes time and a considerable amount of day dreaming.

Introverted perceivers would find it easy to accept pre-existing standards. (Mainly Si doms.)
Thus decisions come easier for them.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a major daydreamer- it's how I process things- but not like what you're saying. Mine are mostly visual. Learning causes it to a major degree. I just like to stare out the window and see a bunch of pictures in my head and doodle as I am supposed to be "focusing". After renewing my CPR recert for the next three days I picture everyone around me having these major catastrophes requiring my assistance. Bleeding from the aorta and bullet wounds and drowning etc. I actually sleep dream a lot too, and need a lot of sleep. Only downfall is that this thought process is very time consuming. It sounds NFP a bit to me, I think of those cartoon characters and TV characters that are always going off on mental tangents while things are happening (That Dorian guy from Scrubs, Peter Griffin, Snoopy, etc.)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not everything is function related

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not 100% confident of my type. Various online quizzes categorize me as an INTP.

I'm interested in the function aspect. A first glance I would say what I am doing is thinking, albeit in conversational form. But from my little understanding of the functions (I'm actively working towards increasing my understanding) Ti deals with judgement so wouldn't my daydreams stem from a perceiving function?

Intuition makes the most sense. I'm wondering whether or not this intuition would be introverted or extroverted. If INTP is correct then it would be Ne but since daydreaming is an introverted activity wouldn't it make more sense that I would be using Ni?

But since I am thinking in conversational form aren't I making decisions inside my daydream? So wouldn't that also indicate some sort of judging function is involved?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni daydreaming is focused, deep, imo.

Ti isn't daydreaming unless you are figuring out how to fix something. Or how to make a system or construct work.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was totally going to guess INTP for you. (but I've been keeping a lot of those to myself lately...)

Any functions can relate to daydreaming, but your sort of creating hypothetical models for further refinement of knowledge says TiNe to me. I'm tempted to call daydreaming as an effect of any introverted function meeting intuiton, but I'm not so sure the functions work that way.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Ne for sure - extroverted intuition. I don't know about the others.

I would be surprised if Ni daydreams for long because it is attached to Fe or Te, and my impression was that those functions get impatient with daydreaming.

I had the impression S types don't tend to daydream, but I could be wrong.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ne for sure - extroverted intuition. I don't know about the others.

I would be surprised if Ni daydreams for long because it is attached to Fe or Te, and my impression was that those functions get impatient with daydreaming.

I had the impression S types don't tend to daydream, but I could be wrong.

I think Ni unchecked would go into deep and focused daydreams.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not everything is function related

Okay mister "intuitives with their theta waves" What do you think dreaming/daydreaming is all about? (I think it was you who showed that study, excuse me if I was wrong. )
(Oh and sorry for derail. It was a mandatory comment in my mind./purpley)

DonCoryon

MBTI Type
INTP
The main focus of my thread is that I think in conversational form. It may or may not be fair to say I learn through dialog. The part that is interesting to me is that no one in my life thinks this way. In this respect I think I'm unique, although I do assume that I am not, although thinking in conversational form must be rare. No one in this thread has said, "Me too".

I'm a major daydreamer- it's how I process things- but not like what you're saying. Mine are mostly visual. Learning causes it to a major degree. I just like to stare out the window and see a bunch of pictures in my head and doodle as I am supposed to be "focusing".

This was very interesting. You ENFP so Ne-Fi. Ne to my understanding pulls information from the external environment. Since my dialog are never truly fanciful, but instead grounded in reality, Ne makes some sense. But instead of being coupled with Fi, which in your case which places images in your mind, Ti brings about words (sounds). Although I think I jumping ahead of myself.

Are your images also based in reality or do they get fanciful?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The main focus of my thread is that I think in conversational form. It may or may not be fair to say I learn through dialog. The part that is interesting to me is that no one in my life thinks this way. In this respect I think I'm unique, although I do assume that I am not, although thinking in conversational form must be rare. No one in this thread has said, "Me too".

This was very interesting. You ENFP so Ne-Fi. Ne to my understanding pulls information from the external environment. Since my dialog are never truly fanciful, but instead grounded in reality, Ne makes some sense. But instead of being coupled with Fi, which in your case which places images in your mind, Ti brings about words (sounds). Although I think I jumping ahead of myself.

I don't know if it's Fi for me, the images, I think it's just brain-area, I think of right brained stuff vs. left brained. I would think someone focused more on the left brained side would have more of a verbal thing going on in their head than one full of imagery. They always start with reality or something that is going on right in front of me. As far as I've seen from Ni's on the forum, they are the ones who can have a daydream that is unrelated completely.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Why can't Fi be words? Fi can be all about words.

And I daydream in conversations, out loud actually, but they are focused and purposeful, not just occurring as randomly as I thought your described yours as doing.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

That doesn't mean it's rare. I didn't say "me too" because I figured everyone/ a lot of people do that to some extent.

I daydream in different forms, and yes, imagining conversations is one of them.

D

Dali

Ni daydreaming is focused, deep, imo.

So true.

Add Fi to the mix and it's basically a Guillermo del Toro-helmed movie up in there. :doh:

I go into daydream sequences so real, I can feel my body (breathing, heart-rate, goosebumps, emotions...etc) react as though I was living the sequence.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So true.

Add Fi to the mix and it's basically a Guillermo del Toro-helmed movie up in there. :doh:

I go into daydream sequences so real, I can feel my body (breathing, heart-rate, goosebumps, emotions...etc) react as though I was living the sequence.

I think Ni + Fi = Victor-esque

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay mister "intuitives with their theta waves" What do you think dreaming/daydreaming is all about? (I think it was you who showed that study, excuse me if I was wrong. )
(Oh and sorry for derail. It was a mandatory comment in my mind./purpley)

Well, answer to your question would be defining what daydreaming is and i dont think defining daydreaming is relevant to this.

The thing with typology is that its only a very small aspect of our psychology and it doesent explain much, its not even meant to.