• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverted extroverts? Extroverted introverts?

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Introverted extroverts having sweet tarts never hurts when extroverted introverts are at a loss for words like songless birds - say it three times REALLY FAST!! ;D

In all seriousness though...since in actuality the intraversion/extraversion dichotomy is more about whether a person derives their energy internally or externally, theoretically a great many introverts could act very outgoing while many extroverts could be more on the reserved side.

My question is, are there certain subsets of personality types among extroverts that tend to be more reserved in a way resembling introversion, and vice-versa?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Introverted extroverts having sweet tarts never hurts when extroverted introverts are at a loss for words like songless birds - say it three times REALLY FAST!! ;D

In all seriousness though...since in actuality the intraversion/extraversion dichotomy is more about whether a person derives their energy internally or externally, theoretically a great many introverts could act very outgoing while many extroverts could be more on the reserved side.

My question is, are there certain subsets of personality types among extroverts that tend to be more reserved in a way resembling introversion, and vice-versa?

yes. ENFPs are the most introverted of the extroverts (we usually test as introverts actually) . ENTPs and ENTJs can also err on the side of reserved/introspective

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i've heard entps were the most introverted of the extraverts.

samvega had a link about it a long time ago.....

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And INFJs are 'supposed' to be the most extraverted of the introverts....fwiw

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
ENFPs and ENTPs often wonder if they're introverts; it's almost a cliche. There isn't anything quite equivalent as far as introverts who mistake themselves for extraverts, but ISxPs, especially ISFPs, often love being amidst action and noise (generally thought to be an extravert thing) and the FJ types tend to be quite people-oriented, even the introverts.

I remember when that book 'The Introvert Advantage' was being discussed; several posters pointed out that there isn't much you can say about introverts' traits or abilities that would apply to all types of introverts: most of what was said was far more true of some I types than others. The same would be true of extraverts.

In an earlier thread about this topic, I posted this:

Yes, the strength of the I/E preference varies from person to person, and any type can be slight to extreme in their preference. However, when you look at surface behaviours or traits (acting sociable, or wanting to be amidst activity, or being introspective), that's where you get the "introverted extroverts" or "extroverted introverts" stuff. For example, an ISFJ would likely behave more sociably than an INTP who is just as introverted. Or, an ENFP might be more into self-examination than an ESTJ who is just as extraverted.

So if you look at cognitive functions (do they strongly prefer introverted or extraverted ones, or do they use both almost equally?) that preference is not type related. But if you look at common ideas of introverts and extraverts and try to type based on those, it does seem some types are far more likely to be confused than others. ENxPs often identify with some introverted traits and wonder if they are introverts, for example, even if their self-descriptions sound very extraverted to me.

For someone deep in the throes of introversion, "most introverted extrovert" doesn't actually mean anything. Y'all are still flashing "EXTROVERT" in shiny neon letters to me. :alttongue:

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
For someone deep in the throes of introversion, "most introverted extrovert" doesn't actually mean anything. Y'all are still flashing "EXTROVERT" in shiny neon letters to me. :alttongue:

Lol. Yeah, me too. I read all these descriptions of behaviour and attitudes from posters that seems so obviously extraverted to me (and definitely far from my own tendencies), and these same posters are going...gosh, gee, I think I might be an introvert, 'cause I want to be alone sometimes and stuff......

I just go :doh:

G

Glycerine

The funny thing is all the ENFPs I have met seem to be big balls of energy where I get sucked into their vortex. the ENFPs I know seem to think I am an introvert while the INFPs tell me I am "deluded" in thinking I am anything but an extrovert. :laugh: I would guess the ENTPs (I can never tell if they are INTP or ENTP).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
spw563krj4tb.jpg

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say that ISFJs are the most extroverted introverts, Fe is very social-oriented, it has no context without having an emotional bond and responsibilities to a broader group of people. I think ENTJs can come off as very stoic and self-contained, their attention is less on casual social interaction and more on external application of accepted conceptual frameworks(Te) so sometimes they can be confused with their introverted counterparts INTJs. I think the ENxPs can be considered the most introverted extroverts because Ne is more head in the clouds plus the very individualistic nature of Ji, so I can see either ENTJ, ENTP, or ENFP as sharing some introverted traits(for various reasons of course).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The funny thing is all the ENFPs I have met seem to be big balls of energy where I get sucked into their vortex. the ENFPs I know seem to think I am an introvert while the INFPs tell me I am "deluded" in thinking I am anything but an extrovert. :laugh: I would guess the ENTPs (I can never tell if they are INTP or ENTP).

ENFPs seem a lot more extroverted than they really are. we need a lot of alone time and if you ever swing by an ENFPs house spontaneously, you're likely to see their much more introverted side.

Beargryllz

MBTI Type
INTP

You forgot the other letters that spell "most introverted"

Anybody who is most introverted must exemplify introverted qualities, above and beyond the norm

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And INFJs are 'supposed' to be the most extraverted of the introverts....fwiw

they only seem like it because they're directing and their second function is Fe, but truthfully they are anything but extroverted. I've only known 2-4 INFJs IRL, but all of them kinda start to freak out if they don't have enough time to themselves. an ISXX type could probably last a little longer

G

Glycerine

ENFPs seem a lot more extroverted than they really are. we need a lot of alone time and if you ever swing by an ENFPs house spontaneously, you're likely to see their much more introverted side.

But that's the irony right there. Many, i would even say most extroverts are less extroverted at their house because that's a place to relax (unless they are super extroverted). There's no rule saying that extroverts can't have alone time but it's the overall energy that makes the difference. I totally chuckled at the truth of what [MENTION=13147]senza_tema[/MENTION] said.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But that's the irony right there. Many, i would even say most extroverts are less extroverted at their house because that's a place to relax (unless they are super extroverted). There's no rule saying that extroverts can't have alone time but it's the overall energy that makes the difference.

yes, but ENFPs tend to need tremendous amounts of time alone, especially after a long party or something. most of the people who know me would probably say I'm introverted

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
they only seem like it because they're directing and their second function is Fe, but truthfully they are anything but extroverted. I've only known 2-4 INFJs IRL, but all of them kinda start to freak out if they don't have enough time to themselves. an ISXX type could probably last a little longer

That hasn't been my experience with isxx irl.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Thanks so much for the kind replies, everyone! There definitely are some very outgoing introverts, and very shy and introspective extroverts...and it makes sense that the intuitive-dominant extroverts (EN_Ps) would be the most introspective on the extraverted side, since their extraversion is first and foremost about gleaning ideas and seeing possibilities!

So, tell me this: do you think it would be easy for an ENFP and INFJ for example, which have the same order of functions only reversed in terms of which they extra rather than intravert, to confuse themselves for the other? That is, might a person whose dominant function is inward intuiting followed by extraverted thinking easily think they're an extraverted intuiter with an Fi auxiliary, and vice versa?

If so, do you suppose there's a fail-safe way to determine if somebody is an introvert or extrovert? One thought I had is perhaps that all introverts, no matter how outgoing, still like to keep a lot of their innermost thoughts and feelings to themselves...while even the shyest extroverts who like thinking alone a good bit of the time would STILL tend to be fairly open about their inner selves if asked, for example. What do you think?