• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where does the introverted/extraverted function difference show up?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
We talk a lot about someone having strong Ti and weak Te, weak Ne and strong Ni, etc. There's the theory that says it all; when do we actually see it?

I've tried to identify the occasions. I've got a vague feeling that a 30-40-ish person's strongest functions are strong in both the I and the E version, whereas the weakest functions weak in both, the middle functions following the theoretical model to some extent.

I remember that MBTI type is decided as a best fit according to various data.

This is just something I've found from observing your posted results from cognitivefunctions test and the general discussion.

Thoughts?

My greatest intro/extraverted function disparity is probably with Fi/Fe, and I'm an ENTP in my 30's.

PsychoticPuggle

MBTI Type
INfP
I don't follow that pattern; I'm a 33-year-old INFP and my Fi and Fe are at opposite extremes. I think my function order is a bit unusual, though.

ETA: On second look, it looks like all my other functions fit the pattern. Interesting.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
After a few years of taking "their" word for it, followed by a few years of skepticism, I'm really starting to think the modern, common analysis of functions is bunk. It's perverted way beyond what Jung wrote. I'm going to do some Ti on this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've tried to identify the occasions. I've got a vague feeling that a 30-40-ish person's strongest functions are strong in both the I and the E version, whereas the weakest functions weak in both, the middle functions following the theoretical model to some extent.

What?

This is a little vague, but my Ti is really strong and my Te is abysmal. I'm learning to Te more just out of necessity, but I really really hate it. (Can I say I hate it?) Even with the little thrill that comes with completing a task and getting it done... I still hate it. That hasn't really changed with age.

The closest I can come to this in personal experience is with S, my worst pair overall. But my Si is still middle-of-road, even if my Se is weak.

The most that can be said is that as people get older, they (1) realize they need to develop things they didn't care as much about before, partly because they need to try something new and also might find the skills helpful in order to succeed in life and (2) they have grown more comfortable with themselves and feel capable of handling a challenge even if it's not in their area of obvious strength and also can hopefully handle more failure/criticism before reaching success.

That seems to apply to everyone, regardless of type. Not sure it is type related at all.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am a "30-40ish" person.

My primary is Ni, but I don't feel like my Ne is very strong. My N is very introverted in that I only share a small portion of it with others, the rest feel far too private and personal. Ne is supposed to be good at people reading and helping understand people, two areas I am week in.

My secondary is Te and I think my Ti is fairly strong. Both the Te and Ti descriptions seem to fit fairly well, though Te does fit best.

My third is Fi and I still struggle sometimes with understanding my emotions, but I think I do okay with knowing my values which are also counted as part of F. I think this is because Ni helps me to define my values. In terms of Fe, I am not good with displaying emotions in public or correctly guessing other people's feelings. And I am not that comfortable with talking about my feelings. I am a little more comfortable talking about values, but I have to feel like I am in a supportive environment.

I think I am reasonably strong in Se something that has become noticably stronger in recent years. Having a clean environment that is nicely decorated is important to me. I care quite a bit about the quality of food I eat. I stop to look at flowers and trees and architecture. However the Si aspects are a weakness for me. I am not good at memorizing/remembering specific details of things.

Ilah

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
My intuition said the theory was a sound idea but I referenced my test results to see if my own results backed it up. Unfortunately they neither back it up nor bunk it.

Ne=Ni
Se<Si by 2
Te<Ti by 24
Fe<Fi by 6

It's all posted on my bog if you want the numbers.

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I just took the cognitive process test at cognativeprocesses.com and it disagrees with what I just wrote.

It lists both Ni and Ne to be "excellent use." My top two function are NiNe according to this.
Te is excellent and Ti is average.
Fi is excellent and Fe is unused.
Se is unused and Si is good. Following MBTI, I would expect to see that reversed, good Se and unused Si.

Congnitive test: Ni, Ne, Te, Fi, Si, Ti, Fe, Se
MBTI order: Ni, Te, Fi, Se, Ne, Ti, Fe, Si

Ilah