• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

intuition and dissociation

Little_Sticks

From our Great Depository of Armchair Psychology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociation said:
Dissociation is an altered state of consciousness characterized by partial or complete disruption of the normal integration of a person’s normal conscious or psychological functioning.[1] Dissociation is most commonly experienced as a subjective perception of one's consciousness being detached from one's emotions, body and/or immediate surroundings.[2] Van der Kolk et al.[3] describe dissociation as a "compartmentalization of experience." Under normal conditions, consciousness, memory, emotions, sensory awareness, affect, etc., are integrated; with dissociation, in contrast, these traits are discretely compartmentalized to greater or lesser degrees.

I'm wondering what you all think about this. Do you think it relates to intuition? I would especially like to hear from those that strongly believe themselves to be Ni-dominant.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't dissociate well at all, but I am very strong in the N department. Sometimes I am thinking so hard that I don't notice what is going on around me, but I think that is being distracted more than dissociating.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dissociate like a madman.

Jack427

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have depersonalization disorder, I haven't experienced the symptoms in some time though.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
My INTJ friend is in disassociated state nearly all the time. He works in a supermarket and is able to work in disassociated state for quite long periods of time and he works as the cashier(or what ever its called), then snaps out when someone asks something and gets baffled, but is able to review what happened after he snaps out, but it takes few seconds.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When confronted with an experience that is entirely alien to me, my brain will separate itself almost completely from my body in order to suck in as much information as possible. Once the experience is over or a pattern has been recognized, all the information I gathered is then processed over the next few hours (days). The next time I encounter that experience, that happens less. It usually takes a couple of times before I stop doing that and am able to fully engage myself as a whole.

I have been described as "clinical" when I get into that mode, and I would say that's fairly apt. In all other cases, I'm like most other people as far as integration goes. Though my head is often in the clouds, but that's a different matter. What I described here is completely different from that.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
When confronted with an experience that is entirely alien to me, my brain will separate itself almost completely from my body in order to suck in as much information as possible. Once the experience is over or a pattern has been recognized, all the information I gathered is then processed over the next few hours (days). The next time I encounter that experience, that happens less. It usually takes a couple of times before I stop doing that and am able to fully engage myself as a whole.

I have been described as "clinical" when I get into that mode, and I would say that's fairly apt. In all other cases, I'm like most other people as far as integration goes. Though my head is often in the clouds, but that's a different matter. What I described here is completely different from that.

You sound like an INTJ in this quote.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just really don't see what that would have to do with type. People of any type who undergo trauma, for example, can be prone to disassociation. Compartmentalization of thought and experience is another way that people deny experiences that they do not want to deal with, and that is not something confined to a particular type.... although some types are more prone to being "rigid" in mindset and not wanting to update and integrate one's experience consciously.

Lark

I think that a good part of my childhood and adolescence involved lessons in dissocation, not in my own household or family but in my school and dealing with peers, the whole of later primary school and secondary school a great emphasis was put upon being "hard", ie unfeeling, hidding or simply not having feelings.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You sound like an INTJ in this quote.

I know, but I'm not. Thinking and Feeling are fairly close ranked with me, but I'm not an INTJ. I don't have what it takes to reach their level of awesomeness. ;)

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't think this should necessarily have so much to do with type as much as life experience.

That being said, I ocasionally find times where I pass beyond "having my head into the clouds" and straight into my brain being its own separate entity, neither aware nor concerned that anything else is in existence. I only realise that I've gone that far when I'm forcibly snapped out of it.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been thinking over what instances in my life I've had dissociation. I am uncertain if these apply, but they might:

This is kind of dangerous, but on occasion, whenever I am doing something that is automatic such as driving, I have these 10 second moments where I feel as if I become mentally disconnected from the present moment. It feels as if I am being drawn into my mind and what's there, and then I get drawn back to what's going on in front of me. It feels almost like I am blacking out, but not quite. It's just a mental disconnect from the present moment.

I recall back when I was in kindergarten my teacher wrote in a report card that I frequently lost track of time spent on an activity because I would get engrossed in it, or I would end up becoming "inattentive to task at hand" because I would get so zoned out into my mind.

Sometimes my brain can be like quicksand, it sucks me into its inner worlds and it can be difficult to escape it! :laugh:

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not completely sure what dissociation is, but I very frequently lose track of my surroundings without noticing. It is especially annoying when I'm in class. I completely miss about ten to twenty minutes of lecture in every single class because my mind is somewhere else. It happens when driving too, especially on long road trips (which I take frequently because I live 4 hours away from my parents). I rarely remember anything that happened during that time. I don't really have a lot of traumatic things happen to me but I think it may have happened the last time something terrible happened. I usually write it off as a short attention span.

Little_Sticks

I just really don't see what that would have to do with type. People of any type who undergo trauma, for example, can be prone to disassociation. Compartmentalization of thought and experience is another way that people deny experiences that they do not want to deal with, and that is not something confined to a particular type.... although some types are more prone to being "rigid" in mindset and not wanting to update and integrate one's experience consciously.

Yeah, that's a good point. I didn't mean to suggest that this was only due to trauma though. I just kind of realized if intuition is a distinctive thought process from sensing that it would probably involve this to some degree. So I thought I would ask. Compartmentalization of experience seemed like it was another way of saying how one comes to perceive the momentum of the events in their lives.

Momentum seems like a better word to me instead of intelligence or truth because then it's more about how a person is impacted in relative to perception and would allow inclusion of all philosophy, which is independent of confining to relative ideas of intelligence and truth.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think i dissociate regularly, usually in very short (minutes-long) spurts. i used to be quite aware of it when i was very young (like 5, 6) because i remember thinking about the "observer" feeling, as if i carry a second person along with me that can separate from my usual self and just watch things and contemplate them from afar. i thought it was just something everyone does, though.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a panic disorder- (has been severe in the past), so yeah. Wouldn't associate that with intuition though. I associated it with detaching from things that shouldn't be detached. (Mind and body, emotions and mind, body and environment, whatever.) It's always awkward and few RL people have any idea what I'm talking about when I mention it.