• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs. Ne communication

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Doms or aux's. How do you experience these interactions?

Highly interesting. With Ni-type people at the best there is a sense of a mutual understanding on a great level and a gradual movement towards exchange. On the negative end, it can be like we're talking on two different and parallel dimensions. (Can you just tell me what it is that you're talking about? I need the springboard or else I'll be confused forever :mellow: ) In the middle somewhere I play kind of a student role listening to a wealth of esoteric mini-lectures and awesome vision-impressions things :)

With other Ne-type people, definitely more bounce-factor and general slingshoting-each-other-to-the-stars conversation dynamic. Sometimes get too quiet since we're both getting distracted with our own things....

I also have a question for both Ne and Ni people. Are you better at expanding on things, or summing things up?

To sum it up- I can't decide :tongue:

Usually if I wish to debate something in-depthly, I make sure I've done my homework or at least have some understanding under my shoulders. Ne-users in their hydra-state I described earlier can seem like they're just making things up as they go along, which can come across as rather unserious from my perspective. A whole random bundle of Ad Hoc arguments so to speak. This can add to the annoyance I mentioned above.

BTW, please don't take this as me Ne-bashing, I'm just trying to explain how Ne looks from my perspective. All in all I like you guys. :)

I knew it ;)

Yeah, I could see how that'd look annoying on the other end. I know what happens with me is that I totally intend on exploring the topic at length before trying a debate, but then of course when I 'intend' on doing something, I wait until the last minute. And then the debate is up upon me and of course instead of passing up the opportunity I use the occassion to see how far I can go with making it up as I go along until I have to admit that there is something factual in the way that I just don't know. So I guess it is less seriousness, but I just want the conversation to happen. It's not one of those "just to mess with you" things.

So if Ne is like a hydra, is Ni like Cartman's trapper keeper that keeps assmiliating everything to itself until it's unstoppable - well until it assimilates Rosie O'Donnell?

Something like that :yes:

Ne: Maybe this , maybe that , or maybe it is something completely different

Ni: This !

Generally yes, but sometimes intuition in general comes with the "I know this but I don't know why" moments. And even on the Ne side these statements can come out with a sureness to them. Until someone throws in new information and then there is a new "okay, NOW this is how it is" :laugh: That, and I learn to leave off the 'maybe' part a lot because it gets ridiculously repetitive.....(maybe).

I downloaded this one. The other was pure madness. :ninja:

LOL, the other one was madness, and I loved every second of it. I think it shows the INJ/ENP difference pretty well at least :yes:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Okay fine, Ni wins the Summarizing Award ;)

S

Sniffles

Yeah, I could see how that'd look annoying on the other end. I know what happens with me is that I totally intend on exploring the topic at length before trying a debate, but then of course when I 'intend' on doing something, I wait until the last minute. And then the debate is up upon me and of course instead of passing up the opportunity I use the occassion to see how far I can go with making it up as I go along until I have to admit that there is something factual in the way that I just don't know. So I guess it is less seriousness, but I just want the conversation to happen. It's not one of those "just to mess with you" things.
I've heard this before, where Ne types often are more interested in the conversation itself, wheras Ni types(or me at least) maybe more interested in the substance under discussion.

Unfortunately this can come across as a "just to mess with you" type thing when I can't tell if the Ne person is seriously arguing a certain position, or simply putting forth that position as a hypothetical, etc. Plus sometimes with ENTPs especially I can't tell if they're just teasing playfully or wanting to start some serious sh*t. So much confusion in my corner.

G

Ginkgo

I like the level of happy in this thread. It's perfect for smuggling killer whales.

Permabanned
AphroditeGoneAwry; said:
What is Ni good for anyway? :thinking:

Some people have claimed that while Ne is about breadth, Ni is about depth.

Ni is good for deep thought, and it comes with Fe or Te, which rule the fn world!!!

Ni = deep
Ne = wide

I like the level of happy in this thread. It's perfect for smuggling killer whales.
You treacherous Ne user, you. :sartre:

Oh look, it's a carrot.

I don't like to expand or summarize; I like to simplify, which can involve both expansion and summary depending on what the situation requires. Well, I guess I also like throwing a spanner in the works every now and then and complicating things so maybe that's not true either.

I don't even know anymore.

Anyway, I don't find Ni doms invariably difficult to communicate with. Sometimes we have fruitful and enlightening discussions but at others, it's like standing in front of Aladdin's cave and knowing that there's stuff inside but not being able to get to it because I don't know the password.

I find INFJs easier to understand initially because they're driven to make the effort to explain themselves, whereas many INTJs simply don't invest that effort in the beginning.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With other Ne-type people, definitely more bounce-factor and general slingshoting-each-other-to-the-stars conversation dynamic. Sometimes get too quiet since we're both getting distracted with our own things....

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :laugh:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Question for Ni: How do you approach brainstorming?

Do you enjoy it? Leave it up to the Ne-ers? Be the one to eliminate the ideas you think won't work and focus on the good ones?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ni depth = being close minded about whats on the outside and going deeper into own delusions
Ne width = seeing how things are related and making sense of stuff

;)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni depth = being close minded about whats on the outside and going deeper into own delusions
Ne width = seeing how things are related and making sense of stuff

;)

So you're an INTJ now? :troll:

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
I tend to talk past Ni folks when I get excited about a topic or have a sudden insight. They usually need a bit more help following the tenuous connections I'm making as I try to pull out the essence of a discussion. When beginning a discussion I generally "cut to the heart" with a broad declarative statement that I probably don't entirely believe but see as illuminating a central facet of the topic at hand. When Ni folks take center stage my internal monologue tends to shift towards thinking "yes, but get to the fucking point already" even as ideas I hadn't considered in detail are presented.

As for the question of expanding on things or summing things up, I think I'm fairly balanced on both provided expanding is outward rather than inward. I tend to understand a lot of things I don't know anything about if prompted.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ok, so one synthesizes, the other one expands. thank you, i just thought about all my functions and i guess it makes sense :)

Ne(and other E functions) add to object, sort of like animate it with whats inside the self and Ni(and other I functions) remove what seems unneccesary.

Easy way to think of all functions is to think them as principles of adding and removing to/from object. This object can be anything from single thought to group of people. For N the principle would be possibility over time. S would be principle of fact. T would be principle of logic. And F principle of worth.
So Si for example would remove what seems unrelated or unneccesary to the object according to principle of fact. Ne would add to some object according to principle of possibility over time. And naturally Si and Ne work together in NP and SJ types, its just that other one of these ways of perceiving is more unconscious unless you have developed it.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've heard this before, where Ne types often are more interested in the conversation itself, wheras Ni types(or me at least) maybe more interested in the substance under discussion.

As a general trend, I think so.... but it's more than we're interested in a ton of things and can't afford to give them all full attention.

Unfortunately this can come across as a "just to mess with you" type thing when I can't tell if the Ne person is seriously arguing a certain position, or simply putting forth that position as a hypothetical, etc.

I don't know, that line is pretty blurry for me. I sort of think of the whole world hypothetically... and all positions as potentially possible so that even when I have apparently stuck to a certain position, on another level I'm like "yeah, of course it's very possible that I'm wrong, I just haven't found why I'm wrong yet."

Plus sometimes with ENTPs especially I can't tell if they're just teasing playfully or wanting to start some serious sh*t. So much confusion in my corner.

I can't speak for all ENTPs but it's probably safe to assume that it's playful teasing 99% of the time. Nearly always I want to keep debating in the playful realm... not to say I'll get lazy and dismiss anything that requires deeper analytical thinking but that my deeper thinking works best when supplimented with a dash of humor.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? :laugh:

It's all very familiar. Not only with you and a lot of the members here but a few of my close friends are xNFP. It's really pronounced with an ENFP that I know who was the first person I could tumble out of control in conversations with for over an hour. And then we would disappear for a while and then run into each other again, and then disappear again, each with our own schemes. Getting two ENPs to stick to one thing for more than a few hours= dividing by zero :laugh:

Thus far:

# of posts by Ne users: 38
# of posts by Ni users: 18

Guys, we talk too much. :cry:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thus far:

# of posts by Ne users: 38
# of posts by Ni users: 18

Guys, we talk too much. :cry:

Maybe Ne users talk too much compared to most-
Or maybe Ni users just don't talk enough compared to the general population.
Or there happens to be more Ne than Ni users active today!
Or more Ne users in general, since there are more Ne users in the general public-
Or maybe some Ne users are mistyped and should really be Ni,
And visa versa-
Or maybe this type of topic is more appealing to an Ne user!
Or!- (wanders off rambling)

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll help you: or maybe a meteor came down from the sky today and killed most of the Ni population. Could be...!

Or more Ne users in general, since there are more Ne users in the general public-
And visa versa-

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And visa versa-

Or... Ne types pretty much rule this forum ;)

Wait, I don't talk too much. Option 5 is looking more plausible! And that would invalidate everything I've said so far on this thread! But then again I talked a good deal on this topic so far...

How dare you give us options :cry:

S

Sniffles

I can't speak for all ENTPs but it's probably safe to assume that it's playful teasing 99% of the time. Nearly always I want to keep debating in the playful realm... not to say I'll get lazy and dismiss anything that requires deeper analytical thinking but that my deeper thinking works best when supplimented with a dash of humor.
That's overall been my impression of most ENTPs, they're just being playful.

Thanks for the reply - I'm just trying to better understand where Ne-users are coming from.