• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs. Ne communication

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doms or aux's. How do you experience these interactions? (Others can weigh in external observations as well- or even include tertiary if it makes sense.)

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
To me, it seeeeems like Ne is more easily articulate than Ni, but I've also seen some very articulate Ni explanations. It may just be that I understand Ne better (and therefore it seems more articulate to me) because it's my own thought process.

And as was mentioned in the Ne vs Ni thread a few months ago, Ne seems more likely to sum things up, while Ni seems more likely to write walls of text.

I'd be interested to learn about how Ni people experience Ne communication.

I also have a question for both Ne and Ni people. Are you better at expanding on things, or summing things up?

It might not be related to Ne vs Ni, though. I'm definitely better at summing things up or summarizing things than I am at expanding on things, while I know a couple of ENFPs who are better at expanding on things and have trouble editing things down.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I also have a question for both Ne and Ni people. Are you better at expanding on things, or summing things up?

It might not be related to Ne vs Ni, though. I'm definitely better at summing things up or summarizing things than I am at expanding on things, while I know a couple of ENFPs who are better at expanding on things and have trouble editing things down.
I can go in both directions. I can see so much intricate complexity that it makes it difficult to encapsulate it with any brevity, and at other times I'm brilliant at cutting through the mess and getting to the essence of things.

But I would think Ni would be better at summarising, seeing as it's about convergence. :shrug:

[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] could you provide some more specific questions. I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities of such a broad topic ;)

G

Glycerine

To me, it seeeeems like Ne is more easily articulate than Ni, but I've also seen some very articulate Ni explanations. It may just be that I understand Ne better (and therefore it seems more articulate to me) because it's my own thought process.

And as was mentioned in the Ne vs Ni thread a few months ago, Ne seems more likely to sum things up, while Ni seems more likely to write walls of text.

So much better at summing things up. On the other hand, I see a lot of walls of text from Ni users, mostly. :laugh:
I try to be as brief as possible and hope that people can read between the lines.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can go in both directions. I can see so much intricate complexity that it makes it difficult to encapsulate it with any brevity, and at other times I'm brilliant at cutting through the mess and getting to the essence of things.

But I would think Ni would be better at summarising, seeing as it's about convergence. :shrug:

[MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION] could you provide some more specific questions. I'm overwhelmed by the possibilities of such a broad topic ;)

Ni and Ne people interacting together :)- what do the conversations look like? (Don't mind the other way to respond either.)

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9

Hmmmm, that's a good point. Maybe it is weird that I'm better at summarizing!

I was about to say that maybe I do it with Ti, but [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] beat me to it in a rep comment! :ranting:

:biggrin:

Last edited:

Silveresque

I'm definitely much better at summarizing things. I have a harder time adding fluff or making long explanations, unless I'm tired and unfocused and start drifting off topic. :laugh:

S

Sniffles

I'd be interested to learn about how Ni people experience Ne communication.
Well I notice that Ne users tend to be quick thinkers who can respond to points on the fly; wheras as a Ni-user I'm more of a "slowcoach" who needs to ponders things through for a while. I noticed that Ne can seem rather hyrda-like in debate; if I respond to one point, all of a sudden I have to answer five more; and if I answer those five points, I now have ten more to respond to - and so on. Wheras as a Ni-user, I usually like bringing things together in one large whole, not breaking them down or apart so to speak("divergence vs convergence as somebody here touched upon I think).

I find it best to focus on one major theme at a time, wheras Ne-user seem to have little difficulty bouncing around from topic to topic. Some people have claimed that while Ne is about breadth, Ni is about depth. I could see how could argue that, since I'm often interested in expanding(to use your term) or exploring more in-depth, wheras Ne-users seem to struggle with this.

I hope this helps give you an idea, hopefully other Ni-doms can offer their observations.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Well I notice that Ne users tend to be quick thinkers who can respond to points on the fly; wheras as a Ni-user I'm more of a "slowcoach" who needs to ponders things through for a while. I noticed that Ne can seem rather hyrda-like in debate; if I respond to one point, all of a sudden I have to answer five more; and if I answer those five points, I now have ten more to respond to - and so on. Wheras as a Ni-user, I usually like bringing things together in one large whole, not breaking them down or apart so to speak("divergence vs convergence as somebody here touched upon I think).

I find it best to focus on one major theme at a time, wheras Ne-user seem to have little difficulty bouncing around from topic to topic. Some people have claimed that while Ne is about breadth, Ni is about depth. I could see how could argue that, since I'm often interested in expanding(to use your term) or exploring more in-depth, wheras Ne-users seem to struggle with this.

I hope this helps give you an idea, hopefully other Ni-doms can offer their observations.

Aha! Astute observations, sir. And very well articulated, thanks.

I like your hydra metaphor. It's true, we are like that! :laugh:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

So aptly put, and my experience too. I really admire Ne in action; that quick humor that bounces all over the place, as on le forum. ;)

I feel sooo slow in comparison. What is Ni good for anyway? :thinking:

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
So aptly put, and my experience too. I really admire Ne in action; that quick humor that bounces all over the place, as on le forum. ;)

Wow, I never realized people saw us that way, interesting....

Ni is good for deep thought, and it comes with Fe or Te, which rule the fn world!!!

For all our NeTi abilities, we don't get as far in the workplace as we'd like to because we have messy desks and tend to do most of our work at the last minute! :/

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I never would have thought of it this way. Ni seems like they just know everything to me. They can't just make things up, they know it, and they know the next right thing- they are all knowing. So they can progress more accurately, where as, I always figure, what's Ne good for? It doesn't always seem to have the right answer at all- it just has many possible questions with many possible answers.

sculpting

The description above is quite apt, but I suspect it seems like we are hoppinf from topic to topic, as Ni doms cannot see our underlying Si framework in our minds-the thoughts are connected like a web, but much of the web is hidden away.

:)

Peguy-once you said the funniest thing about enfps...something about being serious, then saying wierd crazy things....I always recall that and giggle.

S

Sniffles

Yeah I have to admit I feel the same way at times too. I just can't keep up with Ne, which can lead to a certain sense of annoyance at it(hence my "I hate Ne" rants, which is my form of sarcasm) - more about this below.

I never would have thought of it this way. Ni seems like they just know everything to me. They can't just make things up, they know it, and they know the next right thing- they are all knowing. So they can progress more accurately, where as, I always figure, what's Ne good for? It doesn't always seem to have the right answer at all- it just has many possible questions with many possible answers.
Yes I've heard Ne-users say similar things to me, one even saying they outright aspired to be more like me. But like AphroditeGoneAwry, I scratch my head wondering what's so special about Ni really, you think deeply about stuff nobody cares about and hardly anybody can understand you. Also you come across as just too darn serious(I do at least).

I did find the bolded part interesting. Usually if I wish to debate something in-depthly, I make sure I've done my homework or at least have some understanding under my shoulders. Ne-users in their hydra-state I described earlier can seem like they're just making things up as they go along, which can come across as rather unserious from my perspective. A whole random bundle of Ad Hoc arguments so to speak. This can add to the annoyance I mentioned above.

BTW, please don't take this as me Ne-bashing, I'm just trying to explain how Ne looks from my perspective. All in all I like you guys. :)

S

Sniffles

The description above is quite apt, but I suspect it seems like we are hoppinf from topic to topic, as Ni doms cannot see our underlying Si framework in our minds-the thoughts are connected like a web, but much of the web is hidden away.
Interesting - kinda parallels the hiddern unity of Ni. :)
:)

Peguy-once you said the funniest thing about enfps...something about being serious, then saying wierd crazy things....I always recall that and giggle.

Oh was it this remark? :newwink:

sculpting

Interesting - kinda parallels the hiddern unity of Ni. :)

Oh was it this remark? :newwink:

YES!!

LOL, that is exactly what it feels like too!! It's almost like my serious self is sharing my brain with a total crazy person. But it thinks it is all rather funny. :)

S

Sniffles

YES!!

LOL, that is exactly what it feels like too!! It's almost like my serious self is sharing my brain with a total crazy person. But it thinks it is all rather funny. :)

Is it actually funny, and the bantering Ne engages in at times is just pure gold. Problem is that for me at least(maybe other Ni-doms share this), too much of it can be overwhelming. Ni silliness OTOH, seems less aggressive by nature(best way I can describe it atm).

G

Glycerine

Ni= really slow and Ne= constantly moving, from my POV. I can never quite catch up and that is exhausting. EDIT: Very similar to what peguy was getting at. On the other hand, I bet the depth that Ni goes into can seem overwhelming and alien to many Ne users. It can seem like beating a dead horse because of so many tiny nuances.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've always seen it as Ni draws in, Ne breaks out.

My experience is that the ne user will focus on external associations. They aren't typically concerned with the details of 1 thing. They are concerned with how that one thing relates to another thing, and yet another, expanding each thing into a bigger, and biggest picture. The ni user otoh, focuses on the 1 thing. They look at every detail of that one thing, every angle, its past, its pattern, its future. They must tear it apart to understand it. The ne user must connect it to understand it.

I've always found nening nothing short of spectacular, but there are disagreements.. and they usually boil down to different focus.