• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What causes us to prefer Thinking or Feeling?

rav3n

[MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] - can you explain the footnote "Correlations are collapsed across sex except for conscientiousness...etc".

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uncertain of the exact mechanics but testosterone injections are used to treat women with low to nonexistent libidos. The last that I recall, the effectiveness and impacts of treatment was still controversial.

Interesting. :)
Now to figure out how higher testosterone levels in women influences NT traits, and how higher estrogen levels in males may influence NF traits, or to see if there really is a correlation between the two. Something to study I think. :)

Get some willing test subjects. :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] - can you explain the footnote "Correlations are collapsed across sex except for conscientiousness...etc".

There isnt difference in results between sexes on other stuff that conscientiousness, so results are merged

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What comes to testosterone:

RQKyA.jpg

Conscientiousness roughly translates to J. Agreeablesness to F. Openness to experience to N.

So what this tells is that with women, a larger amount of testosterone correlates with P, but for men it doesent do that.

Now when it comes to testosterone and E, dominance(which testosterone correlates to) is one aspect of extraversion, but its such a small aspect that it doesent really show with the actual extraversion correlation. So you could say that it has an effect on extraversion, but only on the dominance part, not things like putting more meaning onto external objects, being more outgoing, tendency to think outloud etc etc.

For other things(like T) it doesent seem to have effect on

So there is insufficient evidence to suggest that testosterone influences higher levels of thinking in either gender, then? But I notice that there is a negative number for agreeableness, which may suggest a decrease of F traits.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So there is insufficient evidence to suggest that testosterone influences higher levels of thinking in either gender, then? But I notice that there is a negative number for agreeableness, which may suggest a decrease of F traits.

The difference is so little statistically (2.4%), that it cant be seen as an indicator of correlation

rav3n

There isnt difference in results between sexes on other stuff that conscientiousness, so results are merged
Sorry, should have expanded on my question. Did they give any reasons why the differences within the body of the study?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The difference is so little statistically (2.4%), that it cant be seen as an indicator of correlation

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sorry, should have expanded on my question. Did they give any reasons why the differences within the body of the study?

Nope. Studies like this doesent really work like that, they just measured testosterone levels from saliva for some period of time(since testosterone levels vary quite alot) and compared the testosterone levels to results from the questionaires.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do believe there's some connection with hormones. Someone already made these associations, which seems accurate imo.
mbtihormones.jpg

The list does not cover functions, but groups. When dealing with SPs and SJs, the T and F factors are pretty much ignored.
I'm a mere amateur, but I bet it works more or less like this:
Si/Ni=serotonin
Se/Ne=dopamine
Fi/Fe=estrogen dominance
Te/Ti=testosterone dominance

I would not completely discount it, but I'm not certain because I actually get my hormones tested on a regular basis, and I have way too much androgen/testosterone (I think she said some ridiculous number like 7 times what I should have).

rav3n

Nope. Studies like this doesent really work like that, they just measured testosterone levels from saliva for some period of time(since testosterone levels vary quite alot) and compared the testosterone levels to results from the questionaires.
Disagree that they don't provide some form of hypothesis since many do within the body, conclusions or other areas, but that's too bad that this one didn't. Thanks for checking.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Conscientiousness roughly translates to J. Agreeablesness to F. Openness to experience to N.

And what about S? No effect on S?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Disagree that they don't provide some form of hypothesis since many do within the body, conclusions or other areas, but that's too bad that this one didn't. Thanks for checking.

Yea well hypothesis is a whole another thing than reason for something.

Anyways, in this study they mainly review older studies on testosterone correlating with dominance and other stuff, also explaining the study procedures and explain why they measure testosterone at certain time of the day, validity etc

rav3n

Yea well hypothesis is a whole another thing than reason for something.

Anyways, in this study they mainly review older studies on testosterone correlating with dominance and other stuff, also explaining the study procedures and explain why they measure testosterone at certain time of the day, validity etc
Ha..touche!

Would you mind linking the study?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Alright so far most people in the thread think T or F preference is caused by genetics and some think hormones. Could environment, culture, social influence, life experiences etc. be factors too?

It's very much genetic imho.

Do you mean like you're born that way and it's fixed for life?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
And what about S? No effect on S?

Apparently not, naturally this correlation between N and openness isnt 100%, but since there doesent seem to be correlation between lack of openness and testosterone, its highly unlikely that there would be a correlation between S and testosterone.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have insufficient knowledge about the negative impacts of synthesized testosterone injected into the human body.

Yes, one question that came to my mind was, putting aside sex drive and aggression, assuming T or F preference is caused by hormones, shouldn't those who receive synthesized injections of estrogen become F and those who receive injections of testosterone become T, afterwards?

rav3n

Yes, one question that came to my mind was, putting aside sex drive and aggression, assuming T or F preference is caused by hormones, shouldn't those who receive synthesized injections of estrogen become F and those who receive injections of testosterone become T, afterwards?
Good question and one I don't have an answer for. To be honest, I'm not even completely convinced of the correlation between hormones and dichotomies. But I was willing to discuss the concept purely for entertainment sakes.

Bear in mind that trans-individuals get estrogen and testosterone shots/pills. There are several on TypeC. Perhaps if they're willing, they can discuss the impacts of their hormone shots/pills.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what if someone is Fi/Fe = Estrogen dominance but his/her ring finger is longer than their index finger then where do they stand?
(Some scientists believe that the ratio of index finger length to ring finger length indicates how much testosterone we were exposed to in our mother's womb. Higher testosterone exposure is thought to lead to a longer ring finger. This is determined as early as 14 weeks into a pregnancy)
Great question. Also hard one heh. Well, I guess T/F preference is not defined within this 14-week period then. May have a fair share of influence, but I'm conjecturing.
Since estrogen (female hormone) is shown as the main neurotransmitter for NFs, and testosterone (male hormone) for NTs, I wonder how this works for the case of opposite genders (NF males and NT females). I know that males can have a small amount of estrogen, and females have a small amount of testosterone, but how can those neurotransmitters have a significant enough effect on the brain of males and females? Was there any information revealed about this?
Unfortunately they didn't focus on why, this information was brought to show how something else worked. I think males are more sensitive to estrogen, while females are more sensitive to testosterone, which in turn would mean that it would take much less testosterone levels to affect females and much less estrogen to affect males F/T preferences. So in the end F males still have higher testosterone levels than T females, and vice versa.
Perhaps you can produce the study. I'd be interested to read it.
I can't find it anywhere. I'm not sure where I read this info. Perhaps on the book ''Why him, why her?''. This book brings a lot of data involving the mentioned hormone levels. Give me some days and I will post here what they talk about testosterone there. P's Scout's honor. :D