• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eye Direction and Cognitive Function

heart

heart on fire
Earth, Intelligence, maturation and disorders

Okay, you'll have to scroll down the article passed all the New Agey stuff, almost to the bottom and there is an interesting bit about the direction a person's eyes move and what cognitive function they might be using.

Please discuss your thoughts.

Could something like this be true?:huh:

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who takes the time to experiment and can be a little lighthearted about things! :)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I predominantly look to the left, up and down
i also find it unnatural to do otherwise

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a bit confused
by my post above this one,
its NF ?

heart

heart on fire
According to the article:

That is for Thinking they would peer upper left, for iNtuition they would look upper right, Sensing lower left and Feeling lower right.

But who knows if this is true or not? Just wondering what other people's results would be in experimentation.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
According to the article:

That is for Thinking they would peer upper left, for iNtuition they would look upper right, Sensing lower left and Feeling lower right.

But who knows if this is true or not? Just wondering what other people's results would be in experimentation.

well
the first myers-briggs test i took,
without any knoweledge of it,
I tested ISTJ, then INTJ
obvious mistakes
although i am a borderline S and T

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have such a bad sense of direction and poor ability to interpret these images in context of the position of my own eyes that I have no idea what they are trying to convey. :huh:

But here's what I personally notice:

If I look up and to my right, I find it easier to add/subtract numbers.

If I look down and to my left, my mind seems to become clear/calm, and I hear sound more clearly.

If I look up and to my left, I begin thinking of random words or phrases together in unusual ways, most of which make absolutely no sense.

If I look down and to my right, I start thinking that I must terribly suggestable for even contemplating such a silly idea, and that I should quit messing with my eyes before I go cross-eyed.

Could someone map these to what the author of the page wrote, and see if it's similar, inverted, or even slightly related to what was written?

heart

heart on fire

If I look down and to my right, I start thinking that I must terribly suggestable for even contemplating such a silly idea, and that I should quit messing with my eyes before I go cross-eyed.

Could someone map these to what the author of the page wrote, and see if it's similar, inverted, or even slightly related to what was written?

"That is for Thinking they would peer upper left, for iNtuition they would look upper right, Sensing lower left and Feeling lower right."

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
"That is for Thinking they would peer upper left, for iNtuition they would look upper right, Sensing lower left and Feeling lower right."

Well, yes, I saw that. But the thing is, I think it tells you what another person's eyes would be doing if you looked at them. I'm looking out from my own eyes, so I don't know how to apply this map, or which directions should be reversed. Just up and down? Just left and right? Both? I know it wouldn't be exactly the same if you do this with yourself rather than looking at another person's eyes, and I don't know how to "convert" the direction indications. :doh:

Usehername

On a mission
My grandpa, a retired police officer, told me a loong time ago that people look to the bottom left when they're recalling something (i.e. telling the truth) and to the top right when lying.

That completely correlates, but it also means I have spent years training my eyes to always go to the lower left, thinking that I want to be perceived as a truthful human. :dry:

When I'm consciously "thinking" about anything I look to the lower left out of habit now... I very seriously drilled that into myself when I was young. When I'm daydreaming I do find myself looking to the upper right.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so lets say some one has one eye looking the lower left and the other to upper right, does that mean they're using both feeling and thinking? I actually don't know anyone who can do that (look two ways at once).

or when we roll our eyes, is it like expereincing each function for a split nano second?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is interesting heart!

I almost always look to the top right...or at least in the right direction, up or down, when I'm contemplating. I think my eyes naturally move to the right. But when I'm really inward, I honestly don't think I'm looking in any direction - just straight ahead, but obviously not focusing on anything. Lost in thought.

And when I realized just now that I need to get groceries, and I started thinking about what I want to cook tonight, my eyes moved to the left, more down than up.

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
I look to the upper right when I'm frustrated, and the lower right when... I don't know. Unconsciously. Otherwise I just look straight. I also look to the upper left at times.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, this rings a strong NLP-bell to me, but then it has to do with your mental activity at that very moment. A link with MBTI seems absurd to me...

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well for me when I'm remembering details, my eyes look down to the right. When I'm telling a story, they look to the left of whoever I'm talking to...and when I'm telling facts/figures, they look to the right. When I imagine something, my eyes AND head slowly rotate to the left. When I'm trying to sort out some mess in my head, I look off to the right.

But I think in my case it has to do more with brain halves and which one is dominating at the time.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
For me, feeling type reflection involves looking down... like down and centre. Inuitive thoughts are just kind of staring into space, or if I'm taling to someone, into their eyes (cause I always make eye contact).

I'm skeptical of this theory, personally... it probably has merit on an individual level but it seems like it would be different for everyone.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I asked my husband to describe his office without telling him why, and he looked down and to the right. He's left handed, so I wonder if brain hemisphere dominance has an influence.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hmmmm inward reflection for me is looking downwards (center or slightly to the right while attempting to recall), strategic thinking/planning is always upper right. I never look to the left... and I'm suppose to be an NF. :dry:

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Seems like a variation of the NLP Accessing Cues: The famous NLP Eye Accessing Cues in Neuro-Linguistic Programming

Clipped this part from it:
attachment.php

But here's what I personally notice:

If I look up and to my right, I find it easier to add/subtract numbers.

Do you do this by visually remembering previous mathematical operations? Or visually constructing them? Or neither?

In theory it should mean you're accessing visual memories. Unless you're not right handed.

If I look down and to my left, my mind seems to become clear/calm, and I hear sound more clearly.

Theoretically that should be directly left or right.

If I look up and to my left, I begin thinking of random words or phrases together in unusual ways, most of which make absolutely no sense.

If you're right handed it'd make much more sense to look right here, as that's where the creative accessing cues are located according to the theory.

Ok, according to the theory you're using kinesthetic then: Used to access feelings. This is actually a collection of rep systems and senses, including emotions, sensations of temperature, motion, pressure, pain and pleasure, body awareness, and gravity.
If it's switched in you, it would be Aud. dig., also often called auditory internal dialogue. "The little voice in your head".

Not sure how it relates to what the author of the page wrote, but it seems to fit somewhat with NLP Accessing Cues theory, especially if you're left handed. The L/R directions seem mostly switched, but up/down seems about right in my eyes. So I'm guessing you're left handed. If you're not, you've just proven how unreliable this thing is. :D

I asked my husband to describe his office without telling him why, and he looked down and to the right. He's left handed, so I wonder if brain hemisphere dominance has an influence.

It does in the NLP theory. Not sure if it's simply mirrored in left handed people, but the theory clearly says it only works like the table shows in RH people. Hm... he should have been looking up if it's simply mirrored though, and to your right to visually remember an image. Perhaps he was asking himself "why does she want to know? Is this some sort of trickery?" That'd explain the look down. :D

Edit: Found this one:
Most right-handed people move their eyes in the directions shown in these diagrams - up for visual, level for auditory, down for language and feelings, to their right for constructed data, and to their left for remembered. Some left-handed people's accessing cues are mirrored from left to right, and some people may have completely different layouts altogether.
From Calibration and Eye Accessing Cues

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Not sure how it relates to what the author of the page wrote, but it seems to fit somewhat with NLP Accessing Cues theory, especially if you're left handed. The L/R directions seem mostly switched, but up/down seems about right in my eyes. So I'm guessing you're left handed. If you're not, you've just proven how unreliable this thing is. :D

No, I'm right handed, and left-brained too. I also seem to have poorer than normal spatial skills.

I assumed the directions based on looking at my hands, assuming that when I was looking towards the hand that made a backwards "L" with my thumb extended, I was looking at my right hand (and hence my right side), and that when I was looking towards the hand with a normal "L," I was looking at my left. I'm not sure you got that I was mapping it as I looked out from my eyes, and didn't manage to represent it the way other people would see it when looking at my eyes. I can't figure out their intent in creating it, how to "convert" the map, or whether it needs conversion.