• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi/Fe Questionnaire

Silveresque

This is a questionnaire for feeling types that will hopefully uncover some patterns and differences in how the two feeling functions, Fi and Fe, work.

Please do NOT read other people's answers before you give your answers.

1) What is your type?
2) How does your feeling function help you in social situations? Does it make you more focused on other people's feelings? Does it make it easier to tell how someone is feeling?
3) Describe how you experience empathy/sympathy. When you see someone sad, how do you respond? What do you want to do for that person?
4) How does this video make you feel? You may choose a different video/song if this one doesn't do anything for you.
5) Take the holiday test. Where do you stand on this?
6) How do you feel about social norms and traditions? Should they be respected? Are there times when you think people should ignore them?
7) What do you think about this: (originally posted by curiousjane from INTJ Forum)
Fe is the lava that boils out.
Fi is the fire inside that started it all.

Fe sings.
Fi composes.

Fe asserts itself.
Fi just IS.

Fe is the bird.
Fi is the song.

Fe is contagious.
Fi is seductive.

Fe feels for others.
Fi feels for self.

Fe resounds.
Fi resonates.

Fe is the smile that leads to the kiss.
Fi is the butterfly in your chest that led to the smile.

Fe makes decisions based on values.
Fi makes decisions based on PERSONAL values.

Fe reaches out.
Fi pulls in.
8) What is your opinion on the idea that Fe is more shallow than Fi and Fi is more selfish than Fe? Is this a misconception, or do you think there's some truth to it?
9) What do you like best about your feeling function?
10) Is there anything you envy about the other feeling function?
11) (OPTIONAL) Is there anything else you'd like to add about your function?

G

Glycerine

1. ENFJ

2. It makes me self conscious because I am always watching how people are reacting to me and others and try to find the significance of the interaction. I get even more nervous if I make a social faux pas and then keep making more and more. Then just say "screw it" after awhile. I am so hyperaware of social situations (social norms, rules) that I mess up.... it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. In many ways, I can tell when people are just humoring me, are annoyed/sad/mad even before they are fully aware of it.

3. I am hypersensitive to how others are feeling but it typically makes me feel uncomfortable so I detach/ ignore/ act oblivious to it. However, when the occasion arises,I can be quite understanding and have excellent listening skills.

4. I dislike the music but like the imagery.

5. I found the test to be pointless. I have holidays in my mind a lot because I am usually aware of time, significance, and numbers.... (I know birthdays of people I don't like just because I am good with numbers). I use my brain as my calendar and alarm clock. lol

6. I find social norms exhausting because I am so preoccupied with them... I resent them. I never cared about tradition whatsoever and find them pointless.... the past is the past.... leave it there.

7.I thought the list was vague.

8. It's simplistic by far.

9. I like having it as a people barometer. I consider myself to have subpar social skills but at the same time, I am highly observant/aware of the social nuances around me.

10. I don't envy any function... it's just what it is.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) ENFP
2) i think it helps me connect with people. i'm interested in who they are as an individual. I never expect people to be a certain way so i get to just enjoy them as they are. if i don't know someone well...i'll likely put myself in their situation and imagine how i would feel...if i do know them well then i put myself into how i perceive them to be and imagine how they feel.
3)tricky question...i feel very empathetic...most of the time...but sometimes depending on why the person is sad and rather or not i had anything to do with it...i might not feel sad at all..like...if i feel very strongly about my position...so much so that it negates theirs..then it won't faze me. it might even make me sorta mad if i think what they're upset about is stupid. i'm much more likely to be overcome by sweetness and beauty...however...if it's someone very close to me i can feel the sadness as my own and want to do whatever i can to fix it.
4)it's cool...i like it. i like the lil trip hop-y beat...it's uplifting...easy breazy chill n relaxing...creates a nice cozy ambiance. :)
5) i think valentines day is stupid but i love most other holidays. i love finding the exact perfect gift...but if i don't i won't get anything because i can't get something just to get it...in a way i think that's even ruder...some thoughtless gift just because you ran out of time or ideas...just...why bother imo. i love decorating and i love doing christmasy stuff...i like going all out and being as extravagant as i can...not that the $ figure plays a role but i will go way out of my way to get the perfect thing.
6) social norms...that are just about treating others respectfully are good...but if it's pointless or adds no value to the people involved they should be discarded....i don't really know what you're referring to.)
7) mostly stupid...some of it works.
8)if by shallow you mean not genuine then yes...i find that can be true. people doing things they don't want to do just because they feel obligated even tho it's just themself making them feel that way...i don't get it...yes fi can be selfish...but in the sense of not wishing to do something non genuine...just as much as i wouldn't want someone to do something for me that they reaaaly did not want to do...if you don't want to come to my party...please don't. i wouldn't go to yours if i didn't want to either...
9) it is me...i can't really separate it and point to something i like.
10) no
11)no

Noon

1) What is your type?
ISFP

2) How does your feeling function help you in social situations? Does it make you more focused on other people's feelings? Does it make it easier to tell how someone is feeling?
My feeling function is a bit moot in social situations. Maybe a better word is understated. This is not to say that it's useless, but rather that immediate social situations seem like a very different sphere to its primary focus and energy. But, I'm fascinated by the experience of life at (1) the internal level and (2) from the individual's standing, so I do enjoy social situations where I can focus on this. I don't know if it makes it easier to accurately identify a feeling in someone else on an objective level, but it certainly does make it easier to personally identify with a feeling-state perceived in another or expressed by another.

3) Describe how you experience empathy/sympathy. When you see someone sad, how do you respond? What do you want to do for that person?
I identify with them based on how I've felt in the past. Depending on how much they remind me of myself and how I may have wanted an outside word at the time, I'll want to reach out to them. Depending on how similar we are in the present moment, I'll want to share our experiences: how we got here, what it's like to be here, what we think the significance of both are, other things that are important or meaningful to us because of these experiences.

4) How does this video make you feel?
I didn't listen to all of it. I think I might have felt something more if it had been something I was very fond of or could relate to.

I think Vicky Jo takes Feeling a little too literally.

6) How do you feel about social norms and traditions? Should they be respected? Are there times when you think people should ignore them?
I don't like most social norms because a lot of what I value and identify with is literally at odds with them, but because they are necessary for a smooth-running society on some levels, I will do what I want in my personal life and remain indifferently observing of them in what extends beyond that. If someone is being made to feel oppressed because they don't have the luxury of doing this, I will support, encourage, and defend them. If I had the ability, I could see myself actively campaigning for either expansion or reform of what is accepted as "normal". Usually though, I just focus on my personal life.

7) What do you think about this: (originally posted by curiousjane from INTJ Forum)
I can relate to the following:
Fi resonates.
Fi pulls in.

I actively disagree with this distinction although it may only be an issue of semantics:
Fe feels for others.
Fi feels for self.
I think I feel very deeply for others in terms of feeling for their sense of self. It may be a more abstract and universal sense of caring, though.

8) What is your opinion on the idea that Fe is more shallow than Fi and Fi is more selfish than Fe? Is this a misconception, or do you think there's some truth to it?
I think it's a crude way to describe the distinction characteristic of all functions in their extroverted and introverted forms: inter & breadth and intra & depth.

That I am generally very understanding and non-judgmental, that I experience things strongly and vividly, that I can relate to things universally, the feeling of inspiration, the feeling of being very acquainted with my inner world and interested in exploring those of others, the glowy feeling of finding someone with an inner world that is similar to mine, identifying with the entire range of human nature, being very idealistic, and caring deeply for others on the basis that we are essentially the same in different ways.

I'm not sure. I personally think they are a difference in primary focus rather than skill or action. There shouldn't be any skill or action that one mode of Feeling would be absolutely incapable of compared to the other, so there shouldn't be a need on either side to envy so much as appreciate complementarily.

What I think are disadvantages of my Feeling though
1. My feelings can be hard to express well enough (to my standards) in words. They often feel "too big" and "too nuanced" for words.
2. I am always aware of the disparity between reality and my ideal of it.
3. I typically feel at least somewhat distant from others in an immediate context, but I'm not sure if this is only a me thing.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) What is your type? INFP

2) -How does your feeling function help you in social situations?
I don't really think it helps me at all. At most, I empathize pretty easily with people in one-on-one conversations which deal with serious issues. In group settings & lighter conversations, I can actually find it extremely difficult to relate to anyone. I don't gel easily with people. Feedback from others is that I seem aloof & disinterested. Internally, I feel awkward & timid & disconnected.

At best, it helps me understand people more than interact with them.

-Does it make you more focused on other people's feelings?
I am more aware of how I feel emotionally, and I know what I would prefer, IF it's significant enough for me to have an opinion on it.

I do pick up when other people feel uncomfortable, embarrassed, or some other sign of their own internal disharmony. Interpersonal dynamics go over my head a lot though. My actions/attitude is little affected by people around me; I'm not focused on making people feel good or feel any way at all. I have little desire to affect people; it doesn't even occur to me. The exception here is that I sometimes feel drawn against my will to listen to someone who is emotionally distressed, IF they come to me.

-Does it make it easier to tell how someone is feeling?
Yes, in the sense that I have a grasp of nuances of emotions & the way people work. I'm also good at grasping "feeling lines of reasoning". I understand why someone holds a certain opinion without agreeing with it. I think T types have a harder time with this. I can accept that people feel differently & that it doesn't make their reasoning inferior to mine. There's an ability to see the person as a whole, so that the reasoning is not separate from the person & their other attributes. It allows you to be a lot more understanding. You take into account what is unsaid as much as what is said. I don't jump to conclusions about people though; I may suspect they feel a certain way for a certain reason, but I leave the door open for other possibilities until they clarify what it is.

I intellectually identify how they feel & why that is, even if I've never been there myself. I don't reach out to people though. Sometimes I feel bad about this. Most of the time I have no idea what to do/say. I'm not a nurturing type. I won't hug you, cry with you, tell you "everything will be okay". That is not my brand of comfort. I am also unlikely to be affected emotionally myself unless the situation directly involves me and a feeling I have myself already.

If someone comes to me, then I mostly just listen. I really, truly, listen to people when they talk. I don't think about myself. I don't think about what to say to them. I absorb all they say. Then, once I get a clear picture of their feelings & their situation, I often help them clarify their feelings & the issue. I'm very calm when I empathize with people. I think the fact that I don't "mirror" their emotions calms them down.

I guess I'm an emotional problem solver. I try to piece the puzzle together to make some sense of it, so the person can walk away feeling like they've taken a step closer to solving their problem, mainly by getting emotional clarity. I don't solve problems for people so much as help them sort out their feelings so they can solve them. I suggest different ways of seeing things, so the person might find an otherwise overlooked possible solution.

Oh, and I easily feel embarrassed for people, even if they are not embarrassed (especially if they are not...?). This is not in response to social gaffes, but public displays of feelings & emotions which seem very vulnerable or mushy gushy. It's like they are naked & internally I'm saying, "put some clothes on, put some clothes on!!!" and looking away in horror as they expose themselves. But in more private situations or subtle forms, the same vulnerability can be beautiful & courageous even. This is why I compare it to nudity, I guess....

4) How does this video make you feel? You may choose a different video/song if this one doesn't do anything for you.
It didn't do anything for me....I'm not sure what you're looking for here? Are you asking what music & images evoke a reaction from me?
It's hard to explain that in words... Stuff that is sappy or sentimental can actually annoy me though.

I'm not a fan of holidays. I do find them commercial, materialistic, and obligatory, but I'm not one to rain on other people's parades either. I don't look down on people who enjoy that stuff as long as they don't push it on me.

I admit I like some of the aesthetics. Xmas lights are nice. I don't see why we need special occasions for this stuff... I have string lights in my apartment year round. I turn them on when I feel like it.

I DON'T dislike norms/traditions just because they are norms/traditions, nor do I think they should be respected just because they are norms/traditions. I don't tend to judge things in relation to that criteria.

There are times I think it's fine to ignore them, but I don't go out of my way to be rebellious (in a weird way, doesn't that give such things influence over you?). I'm so oblivious to some stuff that it doesn't even register enough to bother me. I mostly resent these things when I feel they prevent me from meeting a need of mine, keep me from expressing myself authentically, or when they repress other people unfairly. They often blindside me then; the repressiveness of these things dawns on me one day, and I feel this resentment towards something now I grasp it. Before, I was probably going along with my head in the sky, oblivious that my obliviousness was harming me.

I do respect them when I see they serve a useful function, mostly result in good, and mostly protect the needs of other people (including me). I think traditions which are about bonding can be nice, like family traditions of getting together certain times of year. I understand this is why people like holidays (regarding the above), but there's a line most have passed now where many are more repressive & demanding on people than anything.

7) What do you think about this
I enjoyed that the first time I read it. I think there is some truth in it, but it's mostly poetic & not a good way to type yourself or others. I don't think Fe/Fi are always dichotomous either. I think there's a lot of ground they both cover.

I think the wording shows bias; any truth to it is distorted by using language with heavily negative connotations. I wouldn't call Fe shallow, but I'd say it often has breadth where Fi has depth. I wouldn't call Fi selfish, but I'd say it's often more focused on intrapersonal dynamics than interpersonal, but that includes other people's intrapersonal dynamics.

I like that I am reasoning person. I heavily identify with being iNtuitive, but I am still primarily a rational person. I like that I have a high self-awareness, a strong understanding of how people work internally, and clear picture of what is good for me & necessary for happiness. I feel like I know how to make sense of stuff that is inconsistent. I also like that I am a creative person, which I associate with my Fi function. There's a drive to reach those ideals, to express them, to imbue others to strive for their ideal, and it's a motivating factor nothing external could replicate. I like that I have an inner passion, a kind with real principles behind it.

I envy the social ease of Fe. I envy that it's appreciated more by others. I envy that it's often more pragmatic & therefore productive. I envy that it, uh, is less vulnerable (I was going to say "deep" too...there's my bias showing ;) ). It seems way easier to express, more easily accepted by others as valid/normal, and generally less complicated. I realize not all Fe types are like this nor do all Fi types lack this, but these are associations I make with people who use Fe.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
1) What is your type?
brunettes

I am in social situations even when I am alone, there is no comparison I see.

Empathy is when I am drunk

Too lite bandwidth too watch

Too little time to read

With age some importances becomes clearer

Fe is the lava that boils out.
Fi is the fire inside that started it all.
~nah Fi aint that clever, Fi rather has the tree fallen on themselves they are bitin on

Fe sings.
Fi composes.
~ Would be kinda illogical if a real singer never wanted to compose, dunno hard to believe in reality

Fe asserts itself.
Fi just IS.
~ Fe is as well otherwise it wouldnt be

Fe is the bird.
Fi is the song.
~ if it must be

Fe is contagious.
Fi is seductive.
~ Fe is seductive, Fi is contagious

Fe feels for others.
Fi feels for self.
~ yes

Fe resounds.
Fi resonates.
~doesnt sound bad

Fe is the smile that leads to the kiss.
~ I like that

Fe makes decisions based on values.
~ dont see the difference

Fe reaches out.
Fi pulls in.
~ Fi can reach out as well

Well if you tell a person her or his feelings are shallow you are most often always wrong

nothing, I hate it. Can go to hell imo, I want to be a robot, F is stressing me out

Yea a lot

No

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Is it OK if I choose to not answer some? :)

1) What is your type?

INTP

I try not to offend people, and I do my best to be polite and not rude. Much credit goes to my upbringing. Even so, it doesn't mean I go out of my way to hang out and forge tight connections with people. It's just that when someone does something for me, I make sure to express my gratitude, "Thank you, _______. I really appreciate it." Or when someone is new to the workplace, I make an effort to help that person feel more relaxed. When I smile at someone, I'm usually NOT faking it, I'm just...bringing it out.

In my natural state, I'm extremely hard to read, but with people, it's not hard to pull out my Fe and be considerate to others, whether it means smiling to make someone feel relaxed or giving full eye contact to show that I'm being attentive.

Empathy/sympathy...I've got a good recent example, but perhaps it reveals my Ti-dom more than any Feeling function. My brother was upset about missing a job interview opportunity. I'm glad my mum was there doing the comforting because I immediately focused on helping him come up with a strategy to arrange another one. After hearing my suggestions, he continued moping, blaming the circumstances and feeling sorry for himself which, I thought, was all now irrelevant and unimportant to the issue at hand. My mum said that at a moment like this, all he needs is consoling and for someone to empathize. I said, no, he should be using that energy to think of a plan and solution because there's still a chance.

The animation is awesome.

I agree with much of the Fi approach to holidays, but I can also relate to Fe there. I don't care for Valentine's Day. I also don't send out Christmas cards, wave flags, or do presents. Mother's Day is a different matter because I know my mum expects something and I'm happy to put aside my cynicism to make her feel special that day. Even so, it's very low-key and matter-of-fact.

I don't care for social norms such as hugs or kisses, sitting together with co-workers during the lunch break for the sake of it, or going out together after work. That's all irrelevant and unnecessary to me, though I can see the value in it. I understand the idea/intention/effects of it, but that doesn't make it necessary. During lunch, I do my own thing. But when it comes to manners such as saying thank you and sorry, and chivalry and basic politeness, I make sure I do all that...as mentioned in Question 2. I don't say "Bless you" ("Why?") when someone sneezes...but when I'm around someone who would probably expect and appreciate it...and the situation seems to call for it, I'll just go ahead and say it.

Maybe it's because I'm a Ti-dom and Fe-inferior that I don't especially resonate with either function in the poem. Rather than "Fe sings, Fi composes", it's more like "Ti checks whether the song is correct", and rather than "Fe is the lava that boils out, Fi is the fire inside that started it all", for me, it's "Ti is the volcano that tries its darndest to hold it all in!" Don't go analysing this. It's just a bit of fun.

I understand why some might say Fe seems fake. But in defense of my manifestation of it in everyday life, my Fe doesn't claim to be deep or profound anyway. I hope people don't think I'm showing them my innermost feelings because, a lot of the time, what I show is very on-the-surface and sometimes inaccurate. It's about efficiency for me, "Alright, I'll smile to show friendliness. Good - message delivered" or "I'll exaggerate my happiness a bit so people get the point that I'm pleased". It's all a conscious effort, though. In this sense, social interaction is almost like a job interview. Whatever the case, 'fake' is an inaccurate description.

I admire the way Fi-users seem to be able to accept their feelings...not in the "I acknowledge it" sense but, rather, "What I'm feeling is important and worthy". This probably gives them a higher chance to follow and go for what their heart desires. I didn't want to use the word 'envy' because I'm definitely not interested in wearing my heart on my sleeve. So no, I don't envy.

I introspect a lot, but that doesn't mean I understand myself as much as I'd like. Even when I do, I can easily reject my feelings as unreasonable, unimportant and irrelevant...which, of course, doesn't mean I can stop feeling them. "I shouldn't be feeling this. There's no reason for it. So why are the feelings stilll here?? Stop it!" It's that conflict that confuses the hell out of me. (I'd be interested in any advice you guys would like to offer.)
For example, if I have a crush on someone, my Ti bashes those feelings down, accusing them of being unreasonable and stupid. My Ne sits in the middle, playing around with both Ti and Fe by entertaining reasons and possibilities on each side, but Ti always has the last word, "Alright, guys, playtime's over. Stop this nonsense." And as a result, I'm a very repressed individual.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
This is a questionnaire for feeling types that will hopefully uncover some patterns and differences in how the two feeling functions, Fi and Fe, work.

Please do NOT read other people's answers before you give your answers.

1) What is your type?

ENTP.

I'm not sure; I usually have a pretty good idea of what other people are feeling, but I'm not blind to what I'm feeling, either. I just distance my emotions from whatever my goal is; the only emotional investment I tend to have in a topic is curiosity.

I have almost no problem empathizing with someone else; sympathy is a lot harder for me to express, though. If I see someone who's sad, I usually do something to cheer them up, depending on the person, and what I do will depend entirely on how I think they will respond.

The art was incredibly well done. It didn't spark any emotions beyond that, though; usually I need to see a plot of some kind, or be able to identify with any characters for that to happen.

I don't really put in much of an effort for holidays; I don't mind them, but they aren't really a big deal for me.

I have a disdain for any sort of conventionality, so my answer is no. Respect them if you agree with them, or if it's prudent to do so. If neither of those conditions are met, then there is no reason to.

Fi biased. :dry:

Not exactly. Fe changes to meet the situation, while Fi remains constant. To an Fe user, being focused on one's own emotional experience above anyone else's could seem selfish, and to an Fi user, changing your emotional expression based on the situation could seem fake. It's a matter of perspective; I don't think either is the absolute truth.

I like that it helps me modify my responses to fit the situation, and that it makes it very easy to move within different groups of people.

It makes it much easier to express genuine emotion, from my understanding.

Fe ftw. :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1) What is your type?

infj

Yes

Upon reflection, I would say that I prefer and use empathy more than sympathy, meaning that I can easily identify intellectually with the feelings, thoughts, attitudes, and behaviors of another, so much so that I can see and understand exactly how they got to where they did, and why.

I usually feel sympathy when my physical body is close to someone for a long period of time and they are experiencing intense pain, either emotionally or physically; for example, feeling labor pains in myself if I'm with a woman in labor. Otherwise, I am fairly immune to sympathies and prefer to hold myself a bit back from other's pain, seeing it as weak to a certain degree. :huh:

If someone is sad, I respond immediately and genuinely. It isn't fake, even if I don't know them.

didn't watch. sorry.

K. I'm going to step out here and say I've never been into card buying or the pomp and circumstance surrounding many 'holidays,' even though that is commonly known as an Fe trait. I think maybe my T side overshadows this as being inefficient and superficial? behavior, whereas I'd rather expend my energies focusing on high-quality deep interactions, or alone, rather than in Target picking out a Hallmark card.

That being said, I'm very ritualistic about my holidays, doing the same thing from year to year, and looking forward to those family traditions, especially regarding Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

It's cute, but a bit too vague for my tastes.

For me Fe IS NOT SHALLOW, but genuine, and I'm tired of seeing this referred to. I guess it comes from bad Fe definitions floating around.

But, yes, I have been coming into my Fi more lately (around the age of 40) and I feel it to be a bit selfish, but perhaps that is because it is 'primitive' in me and hasn't been utilized much. And, yes, I do perceive it as 'selfish' especially in sf types, more so (maybe because i have some selfish sf friends).

I feel like it's easy to fit in. I never really feel awkward socially though I am not really into socializing. I like how it enables me to connect with people, because being sx dom I'm driven to forge connections with other people I find intriguing.

Not really. I get enough Fi in my friends.

:wink:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to the holiday test I would be Fe orientated, Snort. There are some clever tests on Vicki-jo's but that ain't one of them. It just means I'm a romantic, and cheap (hand made crafts). P.s. What's more authentic than poring your heart and soul into a hand made gift?

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
According to the holiday test I would be Fe orientated, Snort. There are some clever tests on Vicki-jo's but that ain't one of them. It just means I'm a romantic, and cheap (hand made crafts). P.s. What's more authentic than poring your heart and soul into a hand made gift?
Agreed. I'm a handmade-presents person too..and, yes, being cheap is one of my reasons for it as well. ;) Anyway, people really love that sort of stuff, especially if the gift is really personalised.
You save money, it's a fun hobby, you learn something, and there's the "Aww! You made this just for me???" factor - 4 birds with one stone.

Jubilee

MBTI Type
sfj
Fe perspective

1. What is your type?
Esfj (slight chance of introvert but default extrovert until proven otherwise)

2. How does your feeling function help you in social situations? Does it make you more focused on other people's feelings? Does it make it easier to tell how someone is feeling?
Yes, I definitely have a knack for interpreting how someone is feeling or the groups collective "feel" and I usually know how to handle the situation in terms of appropriateness. People's feelings can also affect mine though if I feel threatened, insulted or responsible.

3. Describe how you experience empathy/sympathy. When you see someone sad, how do you respond? What do you want to do for that person?
For an Esfj I am unusually awkward/uncomfortable in handling negative feelings. I ashamedly try avoid, defer or distract with humour/inappropriateness. I would say I feel sympathy for those closest to me and I would try make them feel better by doing something for them that I know makes happy or takes their mind off the problem.

4. How does this video make you feel? You may choose a different video/song if this one doesn't do anything for you.
It doesn't really spur on much feelings to be honest. Songs with lyrics that are either relevant to a current situation or tied with a memory are usually ones that bring on any kind of emotion.

5. Take the holiday test. Where do you stand on this?
I'd have to admit to being more on the generalized Fe side. I wouldn't say quite as extravagant but I do like to make an effort on "special" days - for a very small select amount if people, if ever more than my boyfriend. I like "special" days as it is convenient, dated, expected and much easier to go with the flow than try to wade against the tide and get all moody about it. Even in a tiny way, I would say I embrace rather than restrain.

6. How do you feel about social norms and traditions? Should they be respected? Are there times when you think people should ignore them?
I think they should be respected under the correct circumstances, some social norms are irrelevant amongst certain groups of friends, while others expect it. Although admittedly sometimes tedious or draining, I much prefer the effort to respect social norms than to deal with the discomfort or emotional negativity that may come from going against it. Fe does not think its acceptable to ignore them while Fi does: this is because Fe is more concerned with harmony of the group while Fi would be more concerned with personal strain.

7. What do you think about this: (originally posted by curiousjane from INTJ Forum)
Pretty cool abstract painting of the differences. It basically says Fe is external and more tangible while Fi is internal and less visible - but still there.

8. What is your opinion on the idea that Fe is more shallow than Fi and Fi is more selfish than Fe? Is this a misconception, or do you think there's some truth to it?
I think it is a gross overstatement of the core drives for these functions. So correct in meaning but incorrect in negative connotation. Fe is concerned with outwardly appearance and Fi is more concerned with inwardly values. This does not make either shallow or selfish, shallowness and selfishness is contextual, but it is true that others can perceive these functions this way because of the misunderstanding of core values between the two.

9. What do you like best about your feeling function?
The ability to read people and determine the feel of situations and what people want. And I must mention the worst being the conflict I experience when thinking I am doing someone good, or at least the intention being there, but meanwhile doing the exact opposite (a problem experienced with Fi people) and coming out by doing harm instead of the anticipated good.

10. Is there anything you envy about the other feeling function?
I envy Fi's conservatism as well as the ability to think about oneself first, despite circumstances.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
1) What is your type?
INTJ, presumably.
It softens out my hard edges, so to speak. It won't help me focus on other people's feelings, but it'll help me focus on my feelings, and if I'm feeling a certain way then I can infer that a certain person might be feeling a similar way, and I'll be more kindly to them. However, no, it doesn't make it easier to tell.
Empathy is a gut punch, like I see a person and I just know what they're going through. Sympathy is a little more difficult, it seems kind of condescending at times. How I respond to a sad person depends on the person. Some people need their space, and I get that. Some people want a pat on the back or advice, and I'll do that. Some people just want someone to vent to. I have a great deal more trouble doing that, but I will if I care about the person.
It was super pretty and had a nice message...but I didn't feel anything.
I definitely fit the "reject the norm" pattern. This is probably more out of laziness than anything, though.
I think that if social norms and traditions work for you, then go ahead and respect them by all means, but don't expect others to feel the same. People can ignore them any time they want if it doesn't harm anyone beyond a superficial judgemental level.
7) What do you think about this
Vague, makes Fe sound trite and Fi sound selfish.
It's a misconception and there's some truth. It depends on the situation and the perspective.
When I feel things, I really feel them. Like the knowledge is right there, in my gut, and it's up to me to respect it.
Perhaps the sensitivity to other people's feelings.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1) What is your type?
ENFP

yes, it makes it easy to “feel out” another person and get on the same level as them. it is easy for me to get an idea of how to interact with another person in a way that is comfortable for them. i don't mean to say i necessarily know how they're feeling, but i have a good understanding of how to engage with them in a “mode” similar to the vibe they are sending out. i do think Ne also plays into this.

i feel sad also and want to help, which i think is really astoundingly common, and has little to do with function, at least amongst feelers. what may be different is that i feel a desire to sit them down, speak with them, and help them overcome things from the inside. i do not feel such a strong push to actively -do- something about it as i believe many Fe users feel.

4) How does this*video*make you feel? You may choose a different video/song if this one doesn't do anything for you.*
that's beautiful!! very inspiring. i don't really like the song – it's kind of a downer to me - but i love the artwork.

5) Take the*holiday test. Where do you stand on this?
total fail. i love holidays and i am a keeper of holiday tradition.

i think they should always be open to questioning and reconsideration, but if they are harmless and/or if they have purpose, i do think they should be respected. i additionally think there should be no pressure for people to follow them if they do not choose to. i believe that tradition is less about what is done and more about why it is done. the “heart” of tradition should always be what's most important. to me, tradition is a way to reach across time and space, and to create focus on the heart of things. it draws and binds people together.

7) What do you think about this: [Fe is the lava...]
it seems a little Fi-biased.

i think they are both true and valid ideas. Fe is necessarily more shallow because it cannot waste the energy required to plumb every inch of a soul if it is going to reach out to the hearts of millions. Fi is necessarily more selfish because it cannot reach out to the hearts of millions if it is going to plumb the depths of individual souls.

it makes me like people and interacting with people. it lights up the world.

of course – most of all, the awareness of others. i do not have a good ability to concentrate on more than a couple people at once.

iris.moon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
1) What is your type? INFP
2) How does your feeling function help you in social situations? Does it make you more focused on other people's feelings? Does it make it easier to tell how someone is feeling? I can understand others comparing their feeling to my experience. I'm pretty tactful and supportive but I have to say I can be blind sometimes, because I'm focused on myself. I try to understand others' feeling just to know how to behave. Basically, I understand only the feelings of people I care about because I pay a lot of attention to them.
Really, I'd love to run away because I'm scared of saying something wrong. But I always stay, trying to make the person see the "bright side" and telling him/her I also felt that way.
I put myself in their place. The problem is not everybody is like me, so I may not be helpful for everyone. I don't like seeing sad people because it makes me feel sad too and I don't want to.
4) How does this video make you feel? You may choose a different video/song if this one doesn't do anything for you. It makes me feel anxious.
5) Take the holiday test. Where do you stand on this? I don't like Valentine's Day, I prefer Christmas or birthdays. It's not because I have to, but because I really like giving presents. It's a nice tradition, so I follow it.
6) How do you feel about social norms and traditions? Should they be respected? Are there times when you think people should ignore them? They should be respected only if they are good.
7) Too poetic and not always true? But I somehow like it.
8) What is your opinion on the idea that Fe is more shallow than Fi and Fi is more selfish than Fe? Is this a misconception, or do you think there's some truth to it? Fi isn't selfish, it's self-centred. Fe is awesome but bad Fe may become fake (they do something only because they want to appear in a certain way).
9) What do you like best about your feeling function? Personal values.
10) Is there anything you envy about the other feeling function? Fe users are socially confortable, while I'm not.