• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introversion=Extraversion?

G

Ginkgo

Okay, so I've been inspired by a few sources to juggle some ideas around bout the nature of introversion and extraversion. Imagine if, through introversion, you dug deep enough into your own subjectivity and "inner world" that you say the "outer-world" as clear as possible. I'm going to guess that doing so would require full acknowledgement that your inner-world is just that and nothing else.

Bear with me.

bear-with-me.jpg

If this is true, would recognition of one's inner-world be possible by turning one's eye entirely into the outer-world?

If you don't quite grasp what my meaning is, please ask.

I'm namely starting this thread because I would be interested to see if any extraverts resonate with the idea that if they lended everything they had into extraversion, then they would find their introverted side in full light.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I introvert more, it gets ...... weirder and not more 'real'.

This is touching on my old schtick about the tert function being naturally opposite the dominant. And when it's not opposite the dominant, and it combines into the same attitude as the dominant, and is used predominantly for long periods of time and the aux ignored, you get either extreme introversion or extraversion, which can result in neuroses. But I know most people don't buy that Jungian position because they've learned mbti, and other more current function theories.

You are suggesting your functions suddenly juxtapose and become the opposite attitude, i.e. if you introvert more, you will suddenly extravert and see the light?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
External world is just a mental image built inside your head. extraversion is putting a meaning to this mental image from inside of your head. introversion is removing irrelevant and making deductions of this mental image.

G

Ginkgo

When I introvert more, it gets ...... weirder and not more 'real'.

So that's how you work.

You are suggesting your functions suddenly juxtapose and become the opposite attitude, i.e. if you introvert more, you will suddenly extravert and see the light?

It's not necessarily that you "extravert". What I'm suggesting is that, through introversion, you acknowledge your introversion in much the same way enneagram practitioners suggest that you may escape the trappings of your primary enneagram type by noticing patterns in your faulty thinking processes. If you know the thesis, then it follows that you know the antithesis, even if you are still occupied by the thesis. It's basically differentiating between the rest of the world and you.

deleted
Either way I introvert or extrovert I'm not anywhere near reality so idk. Reality is boring.

G

Ginkgo

Don't listen to her sir. She's a bit evil. She tried to get me to type myself an INFP because of a stereotype when I didn't have knowledge.

Well, in the spirit of this thread, if she is evil, then knowing her will give you some insight into good. ;)

wolfy

awsm
I read somewhere you can understand the universe sitting at the kitchen table so I reckon either way is true.

G

Glycerine

As an extrovert, when I introspect more, I go into weird trancelike state where I start to question my perceptions of what I got through my senses. I start to engage in a lot of metacognition and my perceptions have more clarity up to a certain point. Is that what you are getting at?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Does this fall along the trail of conjuring certain epiphanies of the given understanding of what we perceive to be the universe?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't listen to her sir. She's a bit evil. She tried to get me to type myself an INFP because of a stereotype when I didn't have knowledge.

cat.jpg

I think INFPs can be brilliantly creative. :wubbie:

It's not necessarily that you "extravert". What I'm suggesting is that, through introversion, you acknowledge your introversion in much the same way enneagram practitioners suggest that you may escape the trappings of your primary enneagram type by noticing patterns in your faulty thinking processes. If you know the thesis, then it follows that you know the antithesis, even if you are still occupied by the thesis. It's basically differentiating between the rest of the world and you.

I think that introverting a function does just that; goes inward. For an introvert, going inward is one's specialty and would be the way one would understand and make sense of the whole world.

I sort of disagree with your premise, even though I don't know much about enneagram. I don't think of one's thought processes as faulty. I think how we think is always right for us at the time. Our brains are extremely efficient and, well, smart. We find the best way we can to process and deal with the stuff happening to us. How can that ever be wrong. I think the only way to 'fix' that is to ascend through life and have enough experiences to flesh out our undifferentiated functions, making them comfortable as well. But I do not believe we could, or should, force this process.

Other than that. It would take some sort of entheogen for my mind to let go and get sucked into the introverted vortex out onto the other side. :fairy:

G

Ginkgo

cat.jpg

I think INFPs can be brilliantly creative. :wubbie:

I think that introverting a function does just that; goes inward. For an introvert, going inward is one's specialty and would be the way one would understand and make sense of the whole world.

I sort of disagree with your premise, even though I don't know much about enneagram. I don't think of one's thought processes as faulty. I think how we think is always right for us at the time. Our brains are extremely efficient and, well, smart. We find the best way we can to process and deal with the stuff happening to us. How can that ever be wrong. I think the only way to 'fix' that is to ascend through life and have enough experiences to flesh out our undifferentiated functions, making them comfortable as well. But I do not believe we could, or should, force this process.

Other than that. It would take some sort of entheogen for my mind to let go and get sucked into the introverted vortex out onto the other side. :fairy:

I may have overstepped my bounds when I used the word faulty or imply that our tendencies are inherently dysfunctional. That's not what I was trying to give the impression of. If one's natural tendencies and instincts prevent them from either exploring themselves or exploring something else until they dig up better solutions, then I cannot honestly say that those tendencies act beneficially. To get a bit paradoxical, they may act beneficially when the person who is apprehended by them moves beyond them, maybe with some creativity to boot. Our prejudices and those judgments we make that are nearly unconscious to us do frequently serve to keep us alive, to help us avoid pain, and to maintain a level of common sense. However, at what point are they completely moot in a new time and a new day? More importantly, at what point do you let them guide you when you ought to be the one behind the wheel?

Sure, our brains are smart. But we might be dumb enough not to exploit their potential.

No, "force", is not what I'm trying to suggest. If anything, I am suggesting that we ought to try our hand at letting go.