• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does MBTI hurt your sensibilities?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
But the thing is, how much can MBTI really aid in self-discovery? Sure, it might give you a couple insights into who you are, but at the end of the day, it's a caricature, and if you're seeking self-actualization or even just some insight into who you are as a human being, I don't think that canned profiles are the best thing to take to heart.

Don't get me wrong, I think it can point people in the right direction to self-improvement or perhaps understanding the behavior of other people. But taking too seriously is more likely to confuse someone in search of their identity than help them.

I didnt get you wrong, I myself am a critique of mbti so I am completly on your side.

The question regarding a hurt in your sensibilities and mbti I have is, how much of the wisdom we (you and me) have today, do teenagers who deal with mbti for the first time have. I am convinced the intelligence quotient of teenage generations grows exponentionally from generation to generation but in the end they all share the same feeling in which they want to belong somewhere in society or want to find someone to belong to. Its always the same story and I am wondering how well mbti can answer that for future generations. So far mbti has a convincing logic which is for example especially appealing to young americans who show a strong sense for rationalism and lack of self assurance.

Life is complex, humans doubly so

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I didnt get you wrong, I myself am a critique of mbti so I am completly on your side.

The question regarding a hurt in your sensibilities and mbti I have is, how much of the wisdom we (you and me) have today, do teenagers who deal with mbti for the first time have. I am convinced the intelligence quotient of teenage generations grows exponentionally from generation to generation but in the end they all share the same feeling in which they want to belong somewhere in society or want to find someone to belong to. Its always the same story and I am wondering how well mbti can answer that for future generations. So far mbti has a convincing logic which is for example especially appealing to young americans who show a strong sense for rationalism and lack of self assurance.

Life is complex, humans doubly so

I realize it's not a good idea to use personal anecdote as an argument...but the thing is, I AM a teenager dealing with MBTI for the first time, so I really don't find that to be an excuse. But I suppose that you do have a point. For those looking for self-assurance, it might be a powerful thing.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I realize it's not a good idea to use personal anecdote as an argument...but the thing is, I AM a teenager dealing with MBTI for the first time, so I really don't find that to be an excuse. But I suppose that you do have a point. For those looking for self-assurance, it might be a powerful thing.

Thats maybe some life experience I can share with you. In Germany where I come from people's individuality is alwaqys overrated. We debate and care a lot for the weakest members of our society, who are most often children and totally overdo the caring for them. In America on the other hand individuality and personal development is hold highly in the society, yet they lack identification, orientation and often seek life meaning in the wrong symbols ( religion, sects, bombing iraque ). You'll find in all these cultures a very strong concentration on the individual, its not like in China where the boss takes the responsibility for his team. Actually tho thats often the problem that the society as such, the community of people is ignored and over-achievers are promoted by the media to be the best of the country. Over-achievers who did a lot for themselves but nothing for the society.

I think especially you as a chinese guy would know a lot about the importance of keeping every element of your team in shape and that brings me back to my original inquiry: the wisdom we have, we have. But not everybody does as well. But I think you got that already.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It hurts my sensibilities.

It does not need to. We do not need to play orthodoxy all the time. If I remember correctly, Xander said we have 64 types. He said something of the number for sure, and it was not 16. Let us see .. you are INXP .. then your dearest and nearest types would be INTP, XNXP, INFP, and IXXP? What about INXX? We should need multiple maps..

There is the problem of accomodation. If you remove one letter vertical and horizontal, you remove two letters crosswise. Flat surface, you see. Maps are always tricky. And they are always an accomodation, no more.

Of course, this problem is removed if we have only 16 .. but we should not let accomodation rule our thinking.

Do we have 16 types then? Of course not; it only fits the flat surface. We have more than two dimensions here.

The 16 is a 4-letter system and does not allow variables. Neat, but incorrect.
The 64 allows more variables. Like 16, it is still a cut. Less incorrect.

2 X 4 = 8

we have 9 X 9

h & v: one removed; cross-over: two removed, etc

IXTP INTP XNTP
IXXP INXP XNXP
IXFP INFP XNFP

81; 81 - 17

INXP XNXP ENXP EXXP ESXP XSXP ISXP IXXP INXP
INFP XNFP ENFP EXFP ESFP XSFP ISFP IXFP INFP
INFX XNFX ENFX EXFX ESFX XFXF ISFX IXFX INFX
INFJ XNFJ ENFJ EXFJ ESFJ XSFJ ISFJ IXFJ INFJ
INXJ XNXJ ENXJ EXXJ ESXJ XSXJ ISXJ IXXJ INXJ
INTJ XNTJ ENTJ EXTJ ESTJ XSTJ ISTJ IXTJ INTJ
INTX XNTX ENTX EXTX ESTX XSTX ISTX IXTX INTX
INTP XNTP ENTP EXTP ESTP XSTP ISTP IXTP INTP

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
It does not need to. We do not need to play orthodoxy all the time. If I remember correctly, Xander said we have 64 types. He said something of the number for sure, and it was not 16. Let us see .. you are INXP .. then your dearest and nearest types would be INTP, XNXP, INFP, and IXXP? What about INXX? We should need multiple maps..

There is the problem of accomodation. I you remove one letter vertical and horizontal, you remove two letters crosswise. Flat surface, you see. Maps are always tricky. And they are always an accomodation, no more.

Of course, this problem is removed if we have only 16 .. but we should not let accomodation rule our thinking.

Do we have 16 types then? Of course not; it only fits the flat surface. We have more than two dimensions here.

The 16 is a 4-letter system and does not allow variables. Neat, but incorrect.
The 64 allows more variables. Like 16, it is still a cut. Less incorrect.

2 X 4 = 8

we have 9 X 9

h & v: one removed; cross-over: two removed, etc

IXTP INTP XNTP
IXXP INXP XNXP
IXFP INFP XNFP

81; 81 - 17

INFP XNFP ENFP EXFP ESFP XSFP ISFP IXFP INFP
INFX XNFX ENFX EXFX ESFX XFXF ISFX IXFX INFX
INFJ XNFJ ENFJ EXFJ ESFJ XSFJ ISFJ IXFJ INFJ
INXJ XNXJ ENXJ EXXJ ESXJ XSXJ ISXJ IXXJ INXJ
INTJ XNTJ ENTJ EXTJ ESTJ XSTJ ISTJ IXTJ INTJ
INTX XNTX ENTX EXTX ESTX XSTX ISTX IXTX INTX
INTP XNTP ENTP EXTP ESTP XSTP ISTP IXTP INTP
Then with all those variations how many function orders could be used for every one of those variations.

But then this sounds like a devils work. There are 351 letters in there. 5+1=6. 3 sets of 6s is 666.
you cant manipulate me so easily devil person.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

The flaw is thinking you aren't already manipulated.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

what if I manipulated you to think that I think I wasnt being manipulated?

I've already come to the realization that the only way to avoid it is to accept it. /one of us.

You can only fight something that doesn't exist for so long before you become it.... Hahaha... That makes no sense, but I enjoy it.

Oh, and I'd imagine if you are already able to pretend to be manipulated by the system perfectly then the tactic worked.

Mr. Cat

MBTI Type
INXP
I've already come to the realization that the only way to avoid it is to accept it. /one of us.

You can only fight something that doesn't exist for so long before you become it.... Hahaha... That makes no sense, but I enjoy it.

Oh, and I'd imagine if you are already able to pretend to be manipulated by the system perfectly then the tactic worked.
Sounds like something out of a cheesy wise old man type movie.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Then with all those variations how many function orders could be used for every one of those variations.

But then this sounds like a devils work. There are 351 letters in there. 5+1=6. 3 sets of 6s is 666.
you cant manipulate me so easily devil person.

64/2 = 32 function orders. One for two variations. :)

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's cute.
You are in control of mbti, it is not in control of you. Remember that. :)

G

Ginkgo

Ok its all about the idea that an mbti profile is what someone feels they have to look up to. Like I can see that my mbti type is difficult to find out with the descriptions of the INTP and the INFP because I think I have a lot of the traits of both. But if I do pinpoint the mbti I am and accept it I think I will always try to live up to it. So that might change me and it hurts my sensibilities a little bit.

It sounds like you're hurting your own sensibilities by thinking that way so you've got some serious 'splainin' to do. :>

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
serious. . . section. . .

serious internet forum. . .

business. . . serious. . . internet. . . .

*slowly backs away from thread*

HE!:D yeah MBTI is so serious and accurate! (See thread about Carl Jung for details)