• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jungian Function Webpage

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://player2000gi.host-ed.net/jungian_functions.htm

This is pretty good for an older page. But this part does concern me a bit:
"Introverted Thinker - Enjoy coming to new understandings, problem-solving and logic. Independent, skeptical and critical. Appear self-absorbed while they use step-by-step logic to discover the principles and connections that underlie the overall picture."

Skeptical, maybe. Just like I (an Intuitive) am skeptical about this quote. But this idea, which I've seen before, doesn't tell the whole story. Because in my vast experience, when it comes to real life situations, Intuitives tend to be more gullible and Sensors more skeptical.

A Sensor I've known for a few years (he scored 100% on the MBTI Sensing scale) is a notorious skeptic. But he enjoys pulling the wool over the eyes of our Intuitive friend. I've done that myself. I told the Sensor how gullible our friend is for believing whatever it was I said to him, and he replied, "So what else is new?"

I realize these are only two examples, but I could go on to bring in more and more examples of Sensor skepticism and Intuitive gullibility involving various people I've known. Intuitionist skepticism only involves the intellectual realm, and probably just the introverted thinking type as these pages state.

These skeptical Sensors would no doubt score high on the Sentinel ANSIR scale, and the statistics hint that Sentinel is the most common type, just as MBTI Sensing is far more common than Intuition.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Both S and T are often said to deal iin "facts". So that might be what would make either seem more "skeptical" than their opposites. (Also why S and T together are always "directive").

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some good stuff on the page, but also some weird claims.

Also its not jungian, its MBTI.

Being sceptical isnt a type or function thing. introverted T just easily leads to person being sceptical, other types are able to be sceptical in this general way this refers to. but this Ti sceptisism isnt about being sceptical so much as people usually uses the word(mistrusting og others), but it comes from taking irrelevant out of the external world using with principle of logic and reason, in other words introverting with T. so when a time comes when you notice that the external world doesent match logic, you ask yourself why. now when it comes to INTP and ISTP, these two types try to find the answer differently.

ISTP tries to see 'what is' in the external world and introvert with N, taking out the(what seems to be) impossible 'what if's. now when you see some of these 'what if's possible, it means that you also see why the logic didnt match before. now ofc because we as humans arent some all knowing creatures, there might be some mistakes in the process and might see some 'what if' as possible and possibly the truth. but then again ISTP shouldnt trust too much of his intuitions, so he will be sceptical towards these 'what if's. now when someone sees ISTP being hesitant over his intuitions that match the truth, the ISTP seems sceptical to him. but its not sceptism as distrust on others, it simply that it does not compute and ISTP is sceptical of his own thoughts over the object, not sceptical of the object itself.

INTPs on the other hand put the what if's to the external world and is sceptical of whether the inner object of 'what is' is true or false. has he done the introverting according to 'what is' correctly or missed out something that could explain the error in reasoning, would be the area of hesitation, especially when you intuit what might be to the external world.

This cycle for Ti doms are; from inside to outside(Fe Pe) to inside(Ti Pi).

Being sceptical as distrusting is not something type related imo, its just about lack of trust in others not trying to deceive you

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both S and T are often said to deal iin "facts". So that might be what would make either seem more "skeptical" than their opposites. (Also why S and T together are always "directive").

And in my experience, S and F together create people who are too nice to call out someone's bullshit. But that doesn't mean they aren't thinking it. I don't know what you mean by 'directive' S and T.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
but it comes from taking irrelevant out of the external world using with principle of logic and reason, in other words introverting with T.

I can't make heads or tails out of that, and some other stuff, but I'll take your word for it that you don't believe the type of skepticism involving trust issues is type related.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Imo the most simplest way you can think of functions and how they work is

E functions put meaning onto external object, naturally this comes from inside, so its from inside to outside. extraversion builds a external object out of what it seems to be.

I functions take in what makes sense, so its taking in from outside, naturally not all is taking in, the irrelevant is left out. introverted functions take irrelevant out of this external object and internalize it

This putting meaning onto external object and taking out of it is done according to 4 functions.

T does this according to principle of reason and logic.
F does this according to principle of worth.
S does this by principle of fact.
and N according to principle of possibility over time.

As jung explained the functions, S tells you what is, T tells you what it is, F tells you what it is worth and N tells you where did it come from and where is it going. and this it being the object being shaped by inteoverting and extraverting it using those principles i explained.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And in my experience, S and F together create people who are too nice to call out someone's bullshit. But that doesn't mean they aren't thinking it. I don't know what you mean by 'directive' S and T.
Directive is the other factor of the Interaction Styles besides I or E. (It is roughly defined as communicating in the form of direction rather than information, but it goes beyond that, in determining a person's responsiveness to others in general). Both ST and NJ are directive. When I was first figuring out all of this stuff, it figured why NJ (Ni preferrers) would be directive (Where Ne preferrers are naturally a bit "lighter" in approach), so I had to determine why S and T together would be. I figured it had to do with the "factual" nature of both S and T.

KDude

I thought ESFPs were some of the "sassiest", almost charmingly insulting people there are, at times. Like, they can be direct and rub your face in something, but be kind of smooth about it where it's not totally alienating. I believe Ann Richards, the old governor of Texas, is a good example of one. Not quite the charming abrasiveness of some ESTPs, but not pushovers either. Se in the dominant position would not be afraid of being put on the spot or calling out something that does need to be. They like it that way.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Directive is the other factor of the Interaction Styles besides I or E. (It is roughly defined as communicating in the form of direction rather than information, but it goes beyond that, in determining a person's responsiveness to others in general). Both ST and NJ are directive. When I was first figuring out all of this stuff, it figured why NJ (Ni preferrers) would be directive (Where Ne preferrers are naturally a bit "lighter" in approach), so I had to determine why S and T together would be. I figured it had to do with the "factual" nature of both S and T.

That just sounds like a way of distinguishing J and P.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just because sensors perhaps tend to be more skeptical doesn't mean that skeptical can't also be associated with introverted thinking. I wouldn't exactly associate intuition with gullibility, it's just that intuitors tend to not dismiss things so fast that have no immediate backing in reality (where sensing is more like "give me the straight-up proof now"), a suspension of disbelief rather than just believing anything.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just because sensors perhaps tend to be more skeptical doesn't mean that skeptical can't also be associated with introverted thinking. I wouldn't exactly associate intuition with gullibility, it's just that intuitors tend to not dismiss things so fast that have no immediate backing in reality (where sensing is more like "give me the straight-up proof now"), a suspension of disbelief rather than just believing anything.

You could say that too.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Imo the most simplest way you can think of functions and how they work is

E functions put meaning onto external object, naturally this comes from inside, so its from inside to outside. extraversion builds a external object out of what it seems to be.

I functions take in what makes sense, so its taking in from outside, naturally not all is taking in, the irrelevant is left out. introverted functions take irrelevant out of this external object and internalize it

This putting meaning onto external object and taking out of it is done according to 4 functions.

T does this according to principle of reason and logic.
F does this according to principle of worth.
S does this by principle of fact.
and N according to principle of possibility over time.

As jung explained the functions, S tells you what is, T tells you what it is, F tells you what it is worth and N tells you where did it come from and where is it going. and this it being the object being shaped by inteoverting and extraverting it using those principles i explained.

Which is all cognitive styles yet somehow influences and even shapes personality.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Which is all cognitive styles yet somehow influences and even shapes personality.

Yep, everyone uses all 4 functions T S N F, but INTJ and INTP for example use T in opposite orientation and lower functions are more unconscious, because they oppose the functions ego sees as being self. and by differentiating functions, you take these functions that ego tries to reject and make the ego see them as part of self.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
This stuff has nothing to do with Jung, it's the usual MBTI semi-nonsense that mixes up all the introverted functions.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought ESFPs were some of the "sassiest", almost charmingly insulting people there are, at times. Like, they can be direct and rub your face in something, but be kind of smooth about it where it's not totally alienating. I believe Ann Richards, the old governor of Texas, is a good example of one. Not quite the charming abrasiveness of some ESTPs, but not pushovers either. Se in the dominant position would not be afraid of being put on the spot or calling out something that does need to be. They like it that way.
I wouldn't say that SF's are [always] "too nice" to attack or call someone out. SFJ's definitely do it too.

SF is simply informative or more "responsive", meaning that they will tend to try to be nicer with people, but there are always situations that can make them critical. ESFP's might even behave as you mention, to go along with a crowd. Then, when the crowd is not around, they will be their naturally friendlier selves.
I think of Amanda on Ugly Betty, who was mean to Betty, mainly because of her following Wilhemina. When relating to her in other contexts, whe was much nicer. Responsiveness is also about how much one holds onto emotions, such as anger. So you can get angry and critical, but the informative will be less likely to hold onto it.
This would also correspond to the other side of the Se "in the moment" approach, especially when working with Feeling rather than Thinking. (ESTP is on the "directive" side).

That just sounds like a way of distinguishing J and P.
Yes, for N's, directive/informative is connected with J/P. J/P pretty much do parallel T/F in "responsiveness". For S's, J/P is connected with something called "structure vs motive", which is another kind of reponsiveness or people/task focus.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep, everyone uses all 4 functions T S N F, but INTJ and INTP for example use T in opposite orientation and lower functions are more unconscious, because they oppose the functions ego sees as being self. and by differentiating functions, you take these functions that ego tries to reject and make the ego see them as part of self.

In theory, the intellect may recognize the lower, more unconscious functions as part of the self. But the ego may have something very different to say about this.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, for N's, directive/informative is connected with J/P. J/P pretty much do parallel T/F in "responsiveness". For S's, J/P is connected with something called "structure vs motive", which is another kind of reponsiveness or people/task focus.

Do you have a webpage that discusses this?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
In theory, the intellect may recognize the lower, more unconscious functions as part of the self. But the ego may have something very different to say about this.

Yep, recognition is the first part, but before the ego sees the functions as self also, you dont have conscious control over them and they may be guiding your focus by projections. naturally you can suspect something being a projection etc rationalization even if ego doesent see the function as part of self, but that a whole another thing than using the lower functions consciously like you normally use dom or aux functions

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep, recognition is the first part, but before the ego sees the functions as self also, you dont have conscious control over them and they may be guiding your focus by projections. naturally you can suspect something being a projection etc rationalization even if ego doesent see the function as part of self, but that a whole another thing than using the lower functions consciously like you normally use dom or aux functions

Which repressed function is the source of, let's say, the displacement defense mechanism?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Which repressed function is the source of, let's say, the displacement defense mechanism?

Ego sees them as opposites, F is opposite of T, S is opposite of N and I is opposite of E. for example INTP would be able to easily see T and N in the ego even tho they are I/E opposites, because they arent opposite judgments, but J and P, so ego doesent try to repress these, instead it represses opposite judgment, Fe. the reason third is not as repressed by ego than fourth, is that aux doesent have so big of a role in ego(ego sees it less of self than dom), so ego doesent try to repress third as much. and because dom(Ti) is so much of ego 'self' it represses its opposite judgment(Fe) to much greater degree.

Bit naturally this isnt all this simple. because third also works as filter for fourth(like dom to aux), you need to also come conscious of fourth in order to filter it properly. if you dont know what you are filtering, you wont be able to filter it properly. this is why one jungian analyst wrote an essay about third being in the shadow of fourth to journal of analytical psychology.

This sort of mechanisms on the mind(according to jung) extend even out of typology. for example this reconciling third that emerges the union of the opposites(in typology of dom/inferior) can be seen as transference(sort of projection of patients unconscious towards analyst) in therapy sessions, where the opposites would be the patient and analyst. by analyzing this transference will tell about the patients unconscious and this can help the patient to realize more about the self(which is the goal in analytical psychology)