• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality Types and Social Media

Outlaw No. 451

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
This past year, I've started spending more time on Tumblr as opposed to my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I have profiles on other social media sites, but those are more interest-specific so I'd rather not discuss them here.

Personally, I prefer Tumblr because of its simplicity. A user does not have to broadcast his or her location, age, education or occupation to make connection. While Twitter is set up in a similar way, there is a more visual element to Tumblr that is lacking due to Twitter's 140-character limit. I also appreciate that I can choose whether or not to interact on a more personal level with certain Tumblr users; the concept of being someone's "friend" online adds a personal aspect to virtual relationships that may or may not translate into real life. And that can be needlessly messy and altogether stressful.

I have been wondering if anyone feels that their personality type has influenced not only the way they interact on social media sites but which social media sites they prefer to participate in. Do some of you like the, in my opinion, intrusive business of Facebook? Do some of you hate the birthday reminders and the status updates? Do any of you have a preferred site?

KDude

I'm one of those freaks who doesn't have a facebook page.

Not even a Twitter. I'm not sure why that's popular actually. Seems like it's best for well known people to bless us with random day-to-day thoughts. And for the stalkers who follow them. But why would anyone follow the stalkers? Obviously some people do.. They must have friends themselves. I'm just wondering what they say that's worth following every day.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
~ I like facebook because MY ENTIRE FAMILY and my old high school friends/best friends after high school, are there, conveniently, in one glance. Do I go there every day? No. I don't play farmville or whatever, but I like being able to stay in touch with people I like, and to do it quickly and easily. I love facebook for that reason, though in some other ways it's annoying - like how I had to block people from being able to tag embarrassing pictures of me. Um, no way son...but I love love love the connection to my loved ones, since I've moved around so much.

~ I did MySpace back in the day, and it was for the same reason I am now on facebook. I used to play with some of the apps and decorate my page with lolcats and bands, but eventually got annoyed by the tackiness of it, and facebook is more streamlined. It's simply more efficient and less of an eye sore.

~ I've been on LiveJournal for ten years. Live Journal was my on-line social circle before Typology Central. It also helped me work on my creative writing as well as my journaling, plus I met interesting, like-minded people and learned about philosophy and politics. Live Journal kept my brain moving, along with books, between high school and college (because I waited several years and traveled and worked as a dancer and stuff in between). It gave me a place to focus my thoughts and writing, and an audience to present them to.

~ I love personality web sites for both the knowledge and the social interaction, just like Live Journal. It's less focused, but a quicker social pay-off and sometimes the arguments are more interesting.

However, I don't do Twitter. I can't be bothered, it seems like an invasive waste of my time, kind of like updating facebook status every five minutes (which I do not do).

I DO however LOVE Tumbler and WeHeartIt for the visual media...it's really great. We Heart It is kind of like visual, non-verbal journaling. :heart:

I also use AIM a lot to chat with certain people one on one and sometimes go into personality chatrooms like vent.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I agree with Marm about Facebook. :yes: And about Twitter.

I've been told by many people (including you, Outlaw!) that I would really enjoy tumblr, and I think I probably would, but I'm hesitant to give myself yet another time-sucking hobby. I waste enough time as it is, on Facebook and on the forum. <-- And I'll bet that's typical of SJs online, that they stick with the minimum amount of internet socializing so that they can spend more time Getting Things Done in Real Life.

Lark

Best site to spend time on social media sites is Instagram, at least i think so, i have more things to do there than on other. Now i am trying to add followers and gaining likes even found Instagram Auto Like | Safe Auto Instagram Likes that makes a little bit work for me. A friend of mine used it a while and now he has some fans when we walk on the street. I don't need fans, i would like to do money with instagram, at least some useful thing is gonna be from it.

I follow a few people on instagram and I get follow requests I keep deleting, I suspect there's a lot of bots on Instagram, but I only really have an account because FB was pushing it.

Social media as a whole is something I'm ambivalent about, I like it on the one hand and I also like the internet of things, connectivity, surveillance capitalism/consumerism in many respects, I'm even a fan of a lot of the biometric ID stuff and tailored medicine which could be the future (whether Trump is re-elected and there's cures for AIDS and cancer or not) but that TV show (and book) YOU made a hell of a lot of good points about the potential misuse of social media by stalker types who were willing to go full on exploit on that score.

I'm unsure that Bebo or Lycos (including Love@Lycos, one of the earliest dating apps/pages) still exist in some shape or form, I friend of mine vandalised his page on bebo with a "die, bebo, die" motif once and I think its still there (!) and I've no idea of the unsafe space that was MySpace still exists or not.

Its bound to be only one of the reasons but I remember FB's growth in part in the UK being because it was seen as the site for adults with less creepers, less children and less untoward bullshit than either MySpace or Bebo. Now those other sites are gone and FB is kind of the only one and less a single provider in a marketplace and more the single service, like Hoover used to be with vacuum cleaners until Dyson came along, I dont know how that all plays out today. That saying about the difference between people who adopt or who are "born into" something is apt in this respect.

I've always wondered if another service, possibly subscription, which guaranteed privacy and was closer to LinkedIn could work. There's probably no way that I'd use FB's full functionality in terms of CV, education and similar stuff, I do regular scrubs of it because of concerns I've had about other people misusing social media.

Even the recently browsed items on Amazon is something that I've known individuals to look up in full on snooper fashion believing it reveals something about people.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I joined FB, it was early days and it had been drilled into my head to never use your real info online, so I had a fake name lol.
I mostly use it to stay in touch with family and childhood friends. But even then, I mostly just lurk, or leave the occasional comment on posts.
Then I became addicted to Farmville and other games for a few years, so it became common to become "friends" with random people (other players).
I eventually updated FB to include my real name.
I don't really care about marketing, surveillance, or creepers. I'm not interesting enough for people to care about and I have no money to fall for consumerism lol.

Other than that, I've recently started browsing Twitter some. (I've been a member for years though, because I used to get free Smurfberries in my game for posting content rofl).
I've also started using Discord more*.

I LOVED Yahoo Answers back in the day, and now I use Quora some.
I used to write on my Xanga blog every day for a few years. I'm sad they closed down.

*I dislike anything that requires a real time component- like Messenger and Snapchat.
I almost always mark myself as "invisible".
I prefer forums where I can think about my answers and follow threads I'm most interested in. I'm not a conversationalist.