• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Activism and MBTI type.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Activists are often stereotyped as being NF, or at least ExFx types, but I don't think this is valid. There are many possible causes and many ways in which one can be an activist.

I must admit I was disappointed recently when I was having a conversation with someone familiar with MBTI and they basically said that they were not/could not be an activist because they were an INTP (and not social enough). I must admit I was taken aback, but at the time I let it slide.

What are your thoughts on the relationship between activism and MBTI type?

KDude

Umm. Yeah, anyone could be an activist. I think the difference is in the details and how they'd go about it. Not that someone does it at all. And even then, it's iffy, I think. If I were still to rely on some stereotypes, then an INFP activist might enjoy getting a lot done even without direct involvement.. Some might spend a lot of time writing, for example. Lenore Thomson used an example of an ISFP activist type in her book - he was the type of guy who was working for homeless shelters, and took it upon himself to be out and about in the city, inviting people, helping them, and being on his feet a lot, so to speak. Her book in particular makes a big contrast in this type of mobility that Se types tend to have. That he wanted to help at all isn't necessarily type related. He just happened to be a good person. That's not something you get from Personality, I think.. but one's morals or experience.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The ExFx types I know sometimes don't even have the attention span to really push a single cause.

That being said, I have a pretty close INTP friend who's busy with a political activism organization at the moment. And she's just one of many. Being an NT =/= being unable to advocate a cause. It's all so subjective.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Oh! And what about Noam Chomsky? He's an INTP activist, isn't he? :thinking:

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Ok, what about the relationship between different activist styles and type?

(when they get out of their ivory towers! :biggrin:)

Hey, publishing in peer reviewed journals and writing letters to the editor can sometimes be a form of activism! ;)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Activists are often stereotyped as being NF, or at least ExFx types, but I don't think this is valid. There are many possible causes and many ways in which one can be an activist.

I must admit I was disappointed recently when I was having a conversation with someone familiar with MBTI and they basically said that they were not/could not be an activist because they were an INTP (and not social enough). I must admit I was taken aback, but at the time I let it slide.

What are your thoughts on the relationship between activism and MBTI type?

Activity: TJ.
Activism: FP.

The dichotomy of energy and control.

Sunny Ghost

I think mostly NF's.

NT's, though may feel passionate towards an ideal, may ultimately find fighting for a cause... hopeless from the start. Though not always the case. Instead, they become cynical.

With idealistic SP's, I think the focus is more towards how hey lead their lifestyle. For example, I know a few ISTP hippies that are hardcore bicyclists in order to cut down on their carbon footprint. They're also likely to join your good cause if they believe in it.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
When I worked for Greenpeace for a few months, I mostly met INFPs and INTJs there. It was the biggest INFP concentration though. I know many of the ENFP I know are active in some organisation/s, as well. It makes sense with Fi, maybe. I did some volunteering work too but in no way was I as immersed in it as the INFPs were, to whom it may be a total lifestyle choice. To me it is more like "a job done" that matches my values, just one area of my life.

Blanchard

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
Every people NF people may be activist. But i think that the more activist are ENF Ppeople, although the ENTP type also it seem activist.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Any new thoughts?

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I worked for Greenpeace for a few months, I mostly met INFPs and INTJs there. It was the biggest INFP concentration though. I know many of the ENFP I know are active in some organisation/s, as well. It makes sense with Fi, maybe. I did some volunteering work too but in no way was I as immersed in it as the INFPs were, to whom it may be a total lifestyle choice. To me it is more like "a job done" that matches my values, just one area of my life.
I think it is easily Fi related. I'm working for Greenpeace as a fundraiser. I don't get paid nearly as much as I used to but my heart is in it and I truly believe how necessary Greenpeace is to the environment. With that in mind, it's not an easy job and I'm still freshly exposed to the material. I don't know if my enthusiasm will last but I will say I'm so comfortable talking to so many people that regardless where I go from here, I've gained heaps of confidence with myself and with the organisation.

My dream as an artist is to create campaigns for Greenpeace and other causes I believe in. I do think it's an NF quality to feel interconnected with the big picture and press others to relate to this too.
Most of the workers are definitely Fi though; it's very different working at a place that's socially conscious and supports so many communities outside of your country.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any type. I would say enneagram would have more to do with it.

It is very easy for me to imagine a Type 1 ISTJ being an activist.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh! And what about Noam Chomsky? He's an INTP activist, isn't he? :thinking:

INFJ 1w9 So/Sp.

I think he most agressives activists are the NJs + ExTPs.

SJs and FPs have a strong potential too.

I have hard time to imagine a Ti-dom activist, especially INTP.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I doubt any of this is type related, but I imagine that ESFJs are overrepresented across the range of causes.