• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey guys I think Carl Jung is just like Yoda because he's a 9w1 who people can't freaking tell for the difference between INFJ and INTP!

It's funny how those 2 types look so dang similar to people, since I thought FJ and TP is suppost to be like the explorer Vs. the loyalist.

I'm not sure if that's the difference exactly. But notice how some in this thread use tertiary theory to prove whatever type they want Carl Jung to be. I can do that too. Carl Jung was an INFJ with tertiary Ti, thus explaining his Ti writing style.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then it's not inter-subjective, not teachable, and not provable. Why should anybody believe someone's intuition?

I agree. It's good to generate new ideas, whether they come from the unconscious, observation, synthesis and so forth, but it's even better to refine them and really build them up. Otherwise, we're dealing with subjective notions that lack a proper structure or foundation. The best ideas should be supported by any possible improvement imaginable.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
"sensing function is a function that takes in physiological stimuli, i.e. physiological sensations. naturally when the sensation is I or E, it has some differences, but the main point is that it is physiological sensation."

And then just below that, you quoted Jung saying:
"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

psychological: Of, affecting, or arising in the mind; related to the mental and emotional state of a person.

physiology: The branch of biology that deals with the normal functions of living organisms and their parts.

Physiological = body; psychological = mind.

"lol basics"

haha u rage so hard that you cant even think straight :----DDDDDD

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
Then it's not inter-subjective, not teachable, and not provable. Why should anybody believe someone's intuition?

Indeed why should we? Suspicion of intuitive modalities is about as old as time itself. The same can be said of Ti's disdain for Te's imprecision. etc.

But I agree too, a priori we should not simply believe any random intuition, from any random person. For example my gf, could say she believes that the Vitamin C poisoned her, because she felt bad upon consuming it. She could even be convinced and yet that would not make necessarily make a compelling case. However depending on her rigor and track record in making previous claims, we may slightly adjust the probability of that intuition being true, despite being anecdotal evidence.

However perhaps consider a more challenging example.

Lets us assume a person* ("Miss Daisy") has an intuition that a neuroethical agnostic moral framework will rise in dominance within the population, and religious based morality system, (eg "the 10 commandments") will decrease over the next 500 years in popular use.

Is it potentially falsifiable? (ala Popper)
Well at least in theory it could be possible to setup metrics to measure the acceptance and use of a concept within a population. For example, Google Zeitgeist might be a primitive precursor.

Is it teachable?
I feel it could be ;) What do you think?

Is it inter-subjective?
Maybe, is it possible could come to similar conclusions via intuition or other methods?

*(I would normally say 'I have' but I'm trying hard to emulate the NTP communication style)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
That positive stuff I said about Mal a week or two ago...

I knew it wouldn't last long.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This attitude clearly devalues intuition as a perspective and also seems extroverted. As such, you are likely to never be able to fully appreciate intuition as a perspective or understand that intuition doesn't need to be provable or similar for it to be valid or reliable as a cognitive perspective.

Jung's entire theory is based on intuition so if you devalue intuition you also devalue all of his theories.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This attitude clearly devalues intuition as a perspective and also seems extroverted. As such, you are likely to never be able to fully appreciate intuition as a perspective or understand that intuition doesn't need to be provable or similar for it to be valid or reliable as a cognitive perspective.

Jung's entire theory is based on intuition so if you devalue intuition you also devalue all of his theories.

That's true, but the devaluation of Jung's theories is old news.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Carl Jung uses Psychic!
Carl_Jung_by_madbaumer37.jpg

W

WALMART

I suppose the thousands of interactions between his patients does nothing for objective credit.

docdi60

MBTI Type
INTP
This has been quite a read from a newcomer to the website, but not at all a newcomer to Jung. I do wonder what the devil he would make of all this. He, I believe was self-diagnosed as INTP and INTJ at different times of his life, which has also happened to me, with the same two types. I am wondering what, if anything, has been gained by the each of the you who have responded..Perhaps I am feeling too serious, but once we know our own type, know that they can be overlapping, and, respect that he, indeed, knew his, then we can move off the question. I myself decided to read again the original just to ground my self before I read much more here. Dr. Diane

P.S. Not having read all of these posts, does not The Red Book speak loudly to a particular type, and over, 30 years of writing it, does in not change?? I will be perusing all of that question as I go forward..the Book, in and of itself, it s testament to a highly introverted, hugely global mind. Not to mention his capacity to give "voice" to inner demons (feelings, sensations, thoughts, archetypes and the commonplace within him.

Last edited:

Sneakierthanthee

Enneagram
My guess would be INFJ 5w4, though more inclined to thinking over feeling with heavy Ti.

I've read abit of his works and while there's definitely Ti there, Ni has been pretty clear throughout, especially with him conducting psychoanalysis. Its not impossible that his functions aren't developed according to the stacking Ni Fe Ti Se. exceptions exist.

Besides, infjs and intps share the same judging functions, plus being an enneagram 5 might make him resemble an intp (since intxs dominate enneagram 5). He may not behave like a stereotypical Infj (with relatively weak Fe for one) but I've never noticed Ne in his writings, so there.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My guess would be INFJ 5w4, though more inclined to thinking over feeling with heavy Ti.

I've read abit of his works and while there's definitely Ti there, Ni has been pretty clear throughout, especially with him conducting psychoanalysis. Its not impossible that his functions aren't developed according to the stacking Ni Fe Ti Se. exceptions exist.

Besides, infjs and intps share the same judging functions, plus being an enneagram 5 might make him resemble an intp (since intxs dominate enneagram 5). He may not behave like a stereotypical Infj (with relatively weak Fe for one) but I've never noticed Ne in his writings, so there.

INFJ yes, but his focus on symbols puts Jung more in range of 9, particularly 1w9.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Jung was enfp. You need to consume a lot of drugs to come up with such bullshit