• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

again what you quoted talks about visions, not hallucinations. also inner voice isnt the same thing as hallucinating sounds. for example when im thinking im thinking with an inner voice, but i dont hear it as a sound coming somewhere outside of me. not to mention that if someone is really in psychosis or schizophrenic, he isnt able to doubt whether or not his thoughts or perceptions are based in reality. jung had some nasty visions, got scared and was thinking whether or not the visions and thoughts are psychotic. also what you quote is some book review in NY times, which i wouldnt take as a word of god.

what you quoted from psychological types doesent really convince either. for Ni types this "This image fascinates the intuitive activity; it is arrested by it, and seeks to explore every detail of it." is totally different from when someone is in a psychologically disturbed state and has nasty visions pouring to his mind from the unconscious. also it doesent say that other types dont have some form of visions and couldnt find some of the fascinating, it just says that this is more of a norm for Ni types..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
again what you quoted talks about visions, not hallucinations. also inner voice isnt the same thing as hallucinating sounds. for example when im thinking im thinking with an inner voice, but i dont hear it as a sound coming somewhere outside of me. not to mention that if someone is really in psychosis or schizophrenic, he isnt able to doubt whether or not his thoughts or perceptions are based in reality. jung had some nasty visions, got scared and was thinking whether or not the visions and thoughts are psychotic. also what you quote is some book review in NY times, which i wouldnt take as a word of god.

what you quoted from psychological types doesent really convince either. for Ni types this "This image fascinates the intuitive activity; it is arrested by it, and seeks to explore every detail of it." is totally different from when someone is in a psychologically disturbed state and has nasty visions pouring to his mind from the unconscious. also it doesent say that other types dont have some form of visions and couldnt find some of the fascinating, it just says that this is more of a norm for Ni types..

Jung did not call them hallucinations, but that's what they were.

I don't expect to convince you, even your favorite book doesn't convince you.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vicky Jo Varner says he is an INTJ

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jung did not call them hallucinations, but that's what they were.

I don't expect to convince you, even your favorite book doesn't convince you.

Why do you think that they were hallucinations, even tho no one says they were? Also what jung draw on the red book definitely werent hallucinations..

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In what universe is he an Ni type? Not his....

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is actually a very good piece of information in favor of Jung being an INTP. However, there's a few contingencies that could point the other way:
1. We don't actually know if Carl Jung knew his own type (and he founded the theory so you would think he should, but it's not a fact).
2. He may have been playing a game with us. Just because someone says one thing doesn't mean that they aren't really thinking something else.
3. Maybe under his own set of definitions in his context he really did fit the category of an INTP, but perhaps the system he was using was incomplete and lacked proper classifications.
4. He has not only claimed to be an INTP, but he's also claimed to be an ISTP, as you can see in the Jung identified himself as both INTP and ISTP link.

Ultimately, you can choose to see Jung from what you perceive to be a factual standpoint as an INTP, but it doesn't change the reality of what type he really was, except in your own ideology.
The whole problem is that his theory of typology was not really fully developed. (and he changed it a bit later on, to focus more on function-attitudes as whole packages, where before they were separate. And then, finally moved away from the theory).
Like, there was the whole dispute (On PerC, IIRC) about which of the other functions is really the "auxiliary", and he supposedly believed both of the functions we consider "aux. and tertiary were "two auxiliaries" (Which they can be seen as, to some extent).
This is where they whole ISTP/INTP dispute likely comes from. So if he said either S or N is his "auxiliary", that still doesn't tell you which really is according to MBTI type.

(Didn't he meet Myers or Briggs at some point? Perhaps any correspondence between them would shed some light on this).

He seems like a "directive" type (ST/NJ) to me, because his language is so "dry". And he seems N, so that's what makes him look like and INTJ. Could hypothetically be ISTP with inflated tertiary Ni, though. Could also explain why he never really completed the theory; he was going more by tangible (sensory) data, and putting together a concept around it, rather than a concept for concept's sake.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think Jung was way too "out there" to be a sensor. For reference, what kind of ISTP writes the Red Book!?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Then I'll ask [MENTION=14179]SolitaryWalker[/MENTION] what his unstated "reason" is. He stated that A does something for the same reason that B does something, i.e., INTP MBTI enthusiasts want to claim Einstein as one of their own FOR THE SAME REASON that theists do.

What's that reason? Self-congratulations, or ascribing superlative characteristics of boundless praise to the people they identify with. INTP MBTI enthusiasts think they're quite bright, so they'll claim that Einstein was an INTP to reinforce that assertion. Theists who claim Einstein was one of their own see Einstein as a deeply spiritual man and regard his "theism" as an affirmation of their own spirituality. Similarly, atheists see Einstein as someone who was far too bright to be a theist, and use his alleged "atheism" as yet another reaffirmation of their supposed intelligence.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's that reason? Self-congratulations, or ascribing superlative characteristics of boundless praise to the people they identify with. INTP MBTI enthusiasts think they're quite bright, so they'll claim that Einstein was an INTP to reinforce that assertion. Theists who claim Einstein was one of their own see Einstein as a deeply spiritual man and regard his "theism" as an affirmation of their own spirituality. Similarly, atheists see Einstein as someone who was far too bright to be a theist, and use his alleged "atheism" as yet another reaffirmation of their supposed intelligence.

Einstein was an INTP.

*Pats self on back*

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP

I do love that Einstein appears to get "diagnosed" with every learning disability/mental disorder imaginable.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Jung was way too "out there" to be a sensor. For reference, what kind of ISTP writes the Red Book!?

What kind of ISTP doesn't write the Red Book?

Well, since there's only one author, I guess all of them except Jung....

W

WALMART

EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP EINSTEIN INTP

I do love that Einstein appears to get "diagnosed" with every learning disability/mental disorder imaginable.

*checks INTP off the list*

:p

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, based on his writings he is most likely an INFJ. Too lazy to explain why more than everything he wrote always had such an Ni perspective and focus.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What kind of ISTP doesn't write the Red Book?

Well, since there's only one author, I guess all of them except Jung....

Well if Carl Jung was an ISTP, he's different than any other one I have ever seen (with the possible exception of me also being a "weird" ISTP).

I guess a good question to ask on this would be, "Is it possible for ISTPs to develop Schizotypal Personality Disorder?"

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Why does it take 24 pages to type the guy who invented typology?
Oh yeah: it's a weak theory and essentially meaningless to what most humans do, most of the time.
Yer welcome!:)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Reading between the lines can be more interesting :D. Reading Jung's descriptions of the types shows such a bias against Fe & a Te that I have hard time seeing him as Je-aux. His description of Fe is the worst of the 8 & filled with the most bias. He compares Te & Ti in a way that sounds like he's got a chip on his shoulder concerning Ti being just as valid as Te (which is how he describes Ti-dom too - with an inferiority complex).

I think Jung is a Ti-dom, then. His theory focuses less on the auxiliary than "play" between the dominant & inferior though. While most people think the tertiary is the same orientation as the dominant, this was never stated by Jung. Some have suggested the aux & tert are both of the same orientation, which would make distinctions between many types very minor (ie. an IxTP would be very possible). It's possible Jung didn't even think the functions besides the dom & inferior have orientations at all (although that the aux is opposite is implicated pretty clearly to most). In which case, I could see him as simply identifying as a Ti-dom with a preference for iNtuition, without needing to define more than that because perhaps he thought it's not defined that way in a person's psychology. He DID state he had a stronger preference for thinking & intuition than sensing or feeling. That came straight from the man's mouth. Sure, he could get his own type wrong or believe it changes, but that's even less founded speculation than thinking he is Ti-N.

I just don't see him as INFJ, not interviews or in his writing. He writes with a kind of heavy-handedness that sounds more like a Ti-dom than a Ni-dom. I don't see his as an ISTP either, certainly not in MBTI. His outward expression sounds like he extroverts iNtuition to me, not Sensing. So yes, I type him as INTP, or closest to that.

I don't pretend to know what type Jung was, but I think OrangeAppled presents the strongest case for INTP I've ever seen.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't pretend to know what type Jung was, but I think OrangeAppled presents the strongest case for INTP I've ever seen.

It's just the usual "argument from writing style."