• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So was Carl Jung ISTP, INTP, INTJ, or INFJ?
The only clear thing is that he was good at Ti and/or Ni.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Considering you're the one who is decidedly stuck on him being an INTP, and you greatly revere him, and would probably want him to be the same type as you (whether you would admit it or not)

For these exact reasons that you scolded [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] for, I'm going to be a funny kid and say that Jung was an ISTP in a TiNi loop. What better figure than the very architect behind the Typological system design to have on my side than Carl Jung, who was also adept in various areas concerning the arcane and the mystical. He probably, like me, was also a 5w4 Sx/Sp with Schizotypal personality disorder!

Yes, I know my type-me box says otherwise, but who cares; what matters is that I revealed the real thing - Who thinks I'am an ISTP? Vote for this if you believe it!

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
So was Carl Jung ISTP, INTP, INTJ, or INFJ?
The only clear thing is that he was good at Ti and/or Ni.

You can work it out from your statement.

More likely "I" because ISTP, INTP, INTJ, or INFJ are all "I"
More likely "STP" and "NFJ" are both Ti/Ni, the other two are not.
3 of the 4 predictions are N and one S. So more likely N.

So.. INFJ is the most likely just using that alone and probabilistic reasoning.

As a matter of interest, many have typed him INFJ professionally too.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can work it out from your statement.

More likely "I" because ISTP, INTP, INTJ, or INFJ are all "I"
More likely "STP" and "NFJ" are both Ti/Ni, the other two are not.
3 of the 4 predictions are N and one S. So more likely N.

So.. INFJ is the most likely just using that alone and probabilistic reasoning.

As a matter of interest, many have typed him INFJ professionally too.

You failed to also mention how 3 of the 4 predictions are T types, so an equally valid case could be made for ISTP, at least based on the line of logic you used.

five

MBTI Type
ZZZZ
Enneagram
5w6
You failed to also mention how 3 of the 4 predictions are T types, so an equally valid case could be made for ISTP, at least based on the line of logic you used.

True, ISTP in that context is equal. Stepping back ISTP is a pretty decent guess, but overall I feel INFJ fits better.

The additional prior that I'm working off is, by and large, INFJ tend to be more interested with people and systems that govern them than ISTP's.

ISTP's tend to enjoy mechanistic or technical challenges. That is also not to say people can't represent technical challenges. Maybe in the future as we develop closer neuroscientific models, it becomes more of a Ti thing and hence the providence of the ISTP.

Later on in life as the ISTP's Ni develops, I could see them relying more on their intuition, but Jung from an early age clearly had a highly developed Ni.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True, ISTP in that context is equal. Stepping back ISTP is a pretty decent guess, but overall I feel INFJ fits better.

The additional prior that I'm working off is, by and large, INFJ tend to be more interested with people and systems that govern them than ISTP's.

ISTP's tend to enjoy mechanistic or technical challenges. That is also not to say people can't represent technical challenges. Maybe in the future as we develop closer neuroscientific models, it becomes more of a Ti thing and hence the providence of the ISTP.

Later on in life as the ISTP's Ni develops, I could see them relying more on their intuition, but Jung from an early age clearly had a highly developed Ni.

You're right I think. I never actually saw him as an ISTP. I just presented a case for it out of open-mindedness that I've seen in other places, that's all.
In my opinion Jung is an INFJ 9w1 Sx/Sp, but of course, as we can see in this thread, many disagree, so it's up for debate.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're right I think. I never actually saw him as an ISTP. I just presented a case for it out of open-mindedness that I've seen in other places, that's all.
In my opinion Jung is an INFJ 9w1 Sx/Sp, but of course, as we can see in this thread, many disagree, so it's up for debate.

INFJ would say that he has been strongest on T from early on. jung told in the interview that his T > N > S > F and that he is an introvert, it doesent take a genius to figure out his type..

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INFJ would say that he has been strongest on T from early on. jung told in the interview that his T > N > S > F and that he is an introvert, it doesent take a genius to figure out his type..

He could very well be an INTP. It wouldn't be my first guess, but it could certainly be a number 2 on this list. I just have a different opinion than you do.
That's one reason empiricism is so important, because that way we can have a universal system of agreement which we can all look to as a reference point.
Our own opinions will stand, but we also investigate and present the opinions of everyone else as well. If you among many others think Jung is INTP, then I have to allow for the possibility.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
He could very well be an INTP. It wouldn't be my first guess, but it could certainly be a number 2 on this list. I just have a different opinion than you do.
That's one reason empiricism is so important, because that way we can have a universal system of agreement which we can all look to as a reference point.
Our own opinions will stand, but we also investigate and present the opinions of everyone else as well. If you among many others think Jung is INTP, then I have to allow for the possibility.

jung said when asked about his type that he doesent want to give a straight answer, but will tell you this and that everyone who is capable of understanding the system will get his type; was always characterized by thinking, had a great deal of intuition too, had definite difficulties with feeling and wasnt that brilliant with sensing. and something about him being an introvert.

this is pretty much about as clear as just saying INTP, so i dont really think its correct to say that its just my opinion..

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
jung said when asked about his type that he doesent want to give a straight answer, but will tell you this and that everyone who is capable of understanding the system will get his type; was always characterized by thinking, had a great deal of intuition too, had definite difficulties with feeling and wasnt that brilliant with sensing. and something about him being an introvert.

this is pretty much about as clear as just saying INTP, so i dont really think its correct to say that its just my opinion..

This is actually a very good piece of information in favor of Jung being an INTP. However, there's a few contingencies that could point the other way:
1. We don't actually know if Carl Jung knew his own type (and he founded the theory so you would think he should, but it's not a fact).
2. He may have been playing a game with us. Just because someone says one thing doesn't mean that they aren't really thinking something else.
3. Maybe under his own set of definitions in his context he really did fit the category of an INTP, but perhaps the system he was using was incomplete and lacked proper classifications.
4. He has not only claimed to be an INTP, but he's also claimed to be an ISTP, as you can see in the Jung identified himself as both INTP and ISTP link.

Ultimately, you can choose to see Jung from what you perceive to be a factual standpoint as an INTP, but it doesn't change the reality of what type he really was, except in your own ideology.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is actually a very good piece of information in favor of Jung being an INTP. However, there's a few contingencies that could point the other way:
1. We don't actually know if Carl Jung knew his own type (and he founded the theory so you would think he should, but it's not a fact).
2. He may have been playing a game with us. Just because someone says one thing doesn't mean that they aren't really thinking something else.
3. Maybe under his own set of definitions in his context he really did fit the category of an INTP, but perhaps the system he was using was incomplete and lacked proper classifications.
4. He has not only claimed to be an INTP, but he's also claimed to be an ISTP, as you can see in the Jung identified himself as both INTP and ISTP link.

Ultimately, you can choose to see Jung from what you perceive to be a factual standpoint as an INTP, but it doesn't change the reality of what type he really was, except in your own ideology.

His Ni-dom is too obvious. And Jung didn't type himself as an ISTP.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
His Ni-dom is too obvious. And Jung didn't type himself as an ISTP.

It looks like there's more than one person and not just me who's denying the "obvious fact" of [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] being Jung's type. We're all morons, because it certainly doesn't take a genius to figure out what type the founder of the whole typology theory is!

Well, I don't even know what my own type is, so I guess my opinion doesn't weigh as much, but whatever, it was fun to post my idiot comments!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It looks like there's more than one person and not just me who's denying the "obvious fact" of [MENTION=7595]INTP[/MENTION] being Jung's type. We're all morons, because it certainly doesn't take a genius to figure out what type the founder of the whole typology theory is!

Well, I don't even know what my own type is, so I guess my opinion doesn't weigh as much, but whatever, it was fun to post my idiot comments!

Life's not easy
Sometimes the heart aches
I will sing a song for you
Don't be so hard on yourself
Don't be so hard on yourself

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Consider this from PSYCHOLOGICAL TYPES, p 454:

" Just as Darwin might possibly represent the normal extraverted thinking type, so we might point to Kant as a counter-example of the normal introverted thinking type. The former speaks with facts; the latter appeals to the subjective factor. Darwin ranges over the wide fields of objective facts, while Kant restricts himself to a critique of knowledge in general. But suppose a Cuvier be contrasted with a Nietzsche: the antithesis becomes even sharper.
The introverted thinking type is characterized by a priority of the thinking I have just described."

Jung obviously appealed to the subjective factor. But did his analyses range over the wide spectrum of thinking in general? Or did he focus deeper than that?

W

WALMART

He self-identified ISTP. If he did ever postulate INTP, he was musing his own imperfections as a scientist.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He self-identified ISTP. If he did ever postulate INTP, he was musing his own imperfections as a scientist.

No he didn't. Jung used the MBTI to type himself? Really, dog...

W

WALMART

No he didn't. Jung used the MBTI to type himself? Really, dog...

So what say you? INTP?

I can't find any of the passages I read when I first got into typology, but he pretty heavily alludes to identifying with sensing and thinking, from what I recall.

Edit: read up, you say Ni-dom. I find it funny I am not alone in my perception of him self-identifying as ISTP. Coincidence, or is there supporting evidence somewhere?