• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well i've never proclaimed to be an expert at typing people, i just thought the type/info given was a little off IMO.

The site provides a single quote from the pictured celebrity as a kind of evidence maybe. For Spielberg, it's "We all have to be more active in our groups, communities, religions ... We have a duty ... to work to fix the world." And according to someone, this speaks more to the ESFJ call than any other type. There's the SJ Guardian, for one element that stands out in the quote.

deleted
Why don't we just poll the answers? That will solve the problem to who's more right :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vin Diesel interview, make of it what you will:

As for the poll, if you're talking about Carl Jung, he claimed in an interview to have changed his type over time. But how does a poll prove who is "more right"?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why don't we just poll the answers? That will solve the problem to who's more right :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

---

For the record, I believe Jung is INFJ for these reasons:

1. The functions-idea has no root aside from Jung's interpretation of unrelated data, which is an indication of NiSe.
2. Degree of Warm Facial Expressions shown in video indicates Fe.

deleted
The best way to learn types if from examples. Not everyone wants to force their opinion though, some people want the most common answer so they can try to understand Jung more as x type and get on the same page as everyone else. This won't mean they can't get more information or that their answer is thereby correct, obviously I was partly kidding, but it has some benefits.

Little_Sticks

Actually, what's wrong with giving him multiple types? I don't think Jung ever said type couldn't change. He developed his types as psychological tools for his analytical psychology that he wanted to develop. He seemed to hope they would represent innate cognitive features, but he was never certain on that. I think in the end he just saw something that didn't change very easily and felt that was good enough to use.

Arguing one type throughout his whole life is like trying to sum up someone's entire life with a statement. How is this a good idea?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

---

1. The functions-idea has no root aside from Jung's interpretation of unrelated data, which is an indication of NiSe.

He never gave any indications through writings or words that he thought he was INFJ, did he? Where is the evidence, given directly from the horse's mouth? That's what matters.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

---

You forgot that he said that he had definite problems with feeling = hes wasnt F aux or dom = not an INFJ.

Its funny that people dont even have any knowledge about the subject, still make assumptions of it and are certain they are right about it lol..

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
He never gave any indications through writings or words that he thought he was INFJ, did he? Where is the evidence, given directly from the horse's mouth? That's what matters.

If you read my original post, you'll see that there's evidence that he allegedly claimed that he was an introverted intuitive shortly after the BBC interview.

You forgot that he said that he had definite problems with feeling = hes wasnt F aux or dom = not an INFJ.

Since when does "having definite problems with feeling" equal "not Fe aux or dom"?

I know plenty of F dom's and aux's who have definite problems with feeling.

You're basing your interpretation on ungrounded assumptions that happen to support your desired interpretation.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Since when does "having definite problems with feeling" equal "not Fe aux or dom"?

I know plenty of F dom's and aux's who have definite problems with feeling.

You're basing your interpretation on ungrounded assumptions that happen to support your desired interpretation.

...like he said, he made the description of his type so that the description is all that you need to diagnose his type. this means that he choose his words very wisely, so that there cant be any misconceptions if you understand how type TENDS to manifest in people

Try paying more attention so that people dont have to explain every stupid detail for you. but knowing you, it propably wouldnt make any difference, because it looks like you have problems on combining these details unless it supports your own snap judgments about the subject.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
...like he said, he made the description of his type so that the description is all that you need to diagnose his type. this means that he choose his words very wisely, so that there cant be any misconceptions if you understand how type TENDS to manifest in people

Nothing you've said here (or anywhere in this thread) deals even with the critiques in my first post in this thread. Your argument is superseded.

Try paying more attention so that people dont have to explain every stupid detail for you. but knowing you, it propably wouldnt make any difference, because it looks like you have problems on combining these details unless it supports your own snap judgments about the subject.

:laugh:

Nice argument there.

Should I respond with "I'm rubber, you're glue", just to make it official?

Considering you're the one who is decidedly stuck on him being an INTP, and you greatly revere him, and would probably want him to be the same type as you (whether you would admit it or not), and I'm the one who has said I'm not sure what type he is, and have provided evidence pointing to at least three different potential types, and provided a far more detailed and nuanced analysis of the BBC interview in my first post than the extremely crude and simplistic "analysis" that you have provided, and given my personal order of likelihood for his type (with INTP coming in second), the basis of your entire argument is absurd.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nothing you've said here (or anywhere in this thread) deals even with the critiques in my first post in this thread. Your argument is superseded.

:laugh:

Nice argument there.

Should I respond with "I'm rubber, you're glue", just to make it official?

Considering you're the one who is decidedly stuck on him being an INTP, and you greatly revere him, and would probably want him to be the same type as you (whether you would admit it or not), and I'm the one who has said I'm not sure, and have provided evidence pointing to at least three different types, and given my personal order of likelihood for his type (with INTP coming in second), the basis of your entire argument is absurd.

UGALA BUGALA UGALA UGH

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting thread.

"Well, you see, the type is nothing static, it changes with the course of life. But I most certainly was characterized by thinking, I always thought, from early childhood on, and I had a great deal of intuition, too. And, I had a definite difficulty with feeling. And my relationship to reality was not particularly brilliant. I was often at variance with the reality of things. Now that gives you all the necessary data for the diagnosis."

Some thoughts:
1. Would the father of typology (relatively speaking) list off their top two functions in the wrong order of preference?
2. No Te user would ever write that way, so it rules out INTJ. Definite Ti user.
3. If he was an INFJ, would he say that he had a definite difficult with feeling? Would he emphasize thinking and intuition?

I mean, if I were a lawyer, I could argue anything. The simplest answer is usually the right one though. Seems INTP to me. Of course he could be wrong about his type and it could that others are correct. I interpreted his statements to mean INTP though.

Maybe he was just trying to screw with people too.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Maybe he was just trying to screw with people too.

That's a reasonably significant part of one of my possible takes on the video.

Why not just be completely clear about it? It's not like it would've been difficult to do.

"I'm an introverted thinker. My auxiliary is extroverted intuitition."

Done. Two short sentences. No room for interpretation.

Instead, every statement he makes is open for interpretation.

And I could very well see Jung not wanting people to know his type.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not just be completely clear about it? It's not like it would've been difficult to do.

"I'm an introverted thinker. My auxiliary is extroverted intuitition."

Done. Two short sentences. No room for interpretation.

That's Te. I think INTPs often talk in a more indirect and less definite manner.