• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What MBTI type was Carl Jung

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Then we are all sensing types because we have senses.

Meaningless.

lol, again learn the basics:

"From a great number of existing or possible attitudes I have singled out four; those, namely, that are primarily oriented by the four basic psychological functions: thinking, feeling, sensation, intuition. When any of these attitudes is habitual, thus setting a definite stamp on the character of an individual, I speak of a psychological type.. A further division into two classes is permitted by the predominant trend of the movement of libido, namely introversion and extraversion."

People here are using some amazing theory only known to them by which they can magically determine psychological type merely from reading a couple paragraphs someone wrote.

I'm simply asking - WTF IS THIS THEORY? I really want to know how this magic works.

i just said that he seems like INTP based on how he writes, that doesent require some general theory about how to type based on writing style. there are so many examples that i could use, which doesent follow any strict theory, but those things work as a sort of hints about what going on in his mind and to me it seems like they point towards a mind of an INTP.

why do you keep replying to me with this sort of bullshit? i mean i understand that you are hurt and feel bad because of some health problems, but its not really a reason to try to annoy other people to make them feel bad too. so the underlying question is. why do you think that it would make you feel better if you try to make other people feel bad?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've not read the entire thread of course. But I've seen some saying that a Ni-Ti loop is not possible for Jung because that would mean that he developed his tertiary before his auxilary, which is imposible.

I disagree. You can see, for example, an ESTP who is very E and with a weak T preference developing his Fe more and with more precocity than his Ti. Same for an very introverted and with a weak F preference INFJ. I think there's many others very introverted INFJ whom their Fe's development has been inhibited by the high degree of their introversion.

It's even not sure that he truly developped Fe after Ti. It seems to me that both started to grow when he entered in university, a place where it was easyer for him to make socials contacts, and also where it was a place which favored the development of his Ti. But there's not actually big clue of Ti with Jung before this. The child/teenager Jung was extremely involved in abstract thinking (Ni), but not very much in logical thinking.(Ti) Of course, that made him say that he was "always characterised by thinking", but thinking=/=Ti, Ni is a form of thinking as well.

Also, he used Ti for sure, but more in the scrupulous, disciplined and holistic way INFJs use it, than the carefree, indolent and dispersed way INTPs use it.

And as it has ever been said on the thread. He has no Ne, or very few.

So INFJ rather than INTP totally makes sense for Jung.

Nicki

Retired
from what i said on post above:

"this ISTP argument comes from when jung said something along in the lines that "as a scientist i use thinking and sensation foremost". but thats pretty obvious because making scientific observations you kinda need to look at what is, make logical observations about it and not get carried away with intuitive ideas too much. INTPs are perfectly capable of using what jung called concrete thinking, it means thinking led by sensation, INTPs do this by abstracting from sensations via thinking. this is what any good scientist needs to be doing foremost."

I think he was talking about his type. He could be a Ti-Si looping INTP though.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've not read the entire thread of course. But I've seen some saying that a Ni-Ti loop is not possible for Jung because that would mean that he developed his tertiary before his auxilary, which is imposible.

Jung seems much more into the abstract world of archetypes than the rational world of theories. Ni>Ti.

I disagree. You can see, for example, an ESTP who is very E and with a weak T preference developing his Fe more and with more precocity than his Ti. Same for an very introverted and with a weak F preference INFJ. I think there's many others very introverted INFJ whom their Fe's development has been inhibited by the high degree of their introversion.

Jung was very introverted and in his head. He definately wasn't that expressive, but he still could use empathy (he was of course a psychological counselor), so Jung would be a feeler, as the thinking seemed to come kind of late, but the feeling and NF psychic connections seemed innate.

It's even not sure that he truly developped Fe after Ti. It seems to me that both started to grow when he entered in university, a place where it was easyer for him to make socials contacts, and also where it was a place which favored the development of his Ti. But there's not actually big clue of Ti with Jung before this. The child/teenager Jung was extremely involved in abstract thinking (Ni), but not very much in logical thinking.(Ti) Of course, that made him say that he was "always characterised by thinking", but thinking=/=Ti, Ni is a form of thinking as well.

This sums up my 1st and 2nd points.

Also, he used Ti for sure, but more in the scrupulous, disciplined and holistic way INFJs use it, than the carefree, indolent and dispersed way INTPs use it.

Jung doesn't seem goofy and impulsive with the ideas like an INTP. He seems much more focused and concentrated with the ideological developments.

And as it has ever been said on the thread. He has no Ne, or very few.

Jung clearly dug deep Ni holes in the psyche and did little if any Ne exploration of the spectrum.

So INFJ rather than INTP totally makes sense for Jung.

This was always my conclusion as well (and I'm not saying it's right, but the pieces seem to be coming together that way).

I always thought he was an INFJ..

:yes:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
The child/teenager Jung was extremely involved in abstract thinking (Ni), but not very much in logical thinking.(Ti)

abstract thinking is introverting thinking, it has nothing to do with Ni:

psychological types said:
Abstracting-thinking brings into relief a content that is distinguished from other irrelevant elements by its intellectual, logical qualities.

I visualize the abstracting process, therefore, as a withdrawal of libido from the object, or as a backflow of value from the object to a subjective, abstract content. Thus, for me, abstraction has the meaning of an energic depreciation of the object. In other words, abstraction can be expressed as an introverting libido-movement.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think he was talking about his type. He could be a Ti-Si looping INTP though.

i dont understand all this looping talk. i mean "dom/tert loop" is a defensive mechanism against what ever is frightening in what ever is the opposite of dominant functions I/E attitude. its just a temporary unhealthy state, not something that characterizes the whole person, unless ofc the person is mentally really unbalanced.

lets say for example that ENFP has some really big inner conflict and that she is afraid to face it, she may temporarily resort to going to E mode where she will focus solely on the external world, possibilities and reasons in it instead of facing her inner demons. same can happen to INTP, he may be scared something in the external world and sort of shut down from it and resorting to his inner TiSi world. i really doubt that jung would had done this since he was a kid, i mean jung did have some shitty stuff going on in his childhood, which might had made him "loop" at early ages and possibly developing his Si at reasonably early age.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol, again learn the basics:

"From a great number of existing or possible attitudes I have singled out four; those, namely, that are primarily oriented by the four basic psychological functions: thinking, feeling, sensation, intuition. When any of these attitudes is habitual, thus setting a definite stamp on the character of an individual, I speak of a psychological type.. A further division into two classes is permitted by the predominant trend of the movement of libido, namely introversion and extraversion."

Yes, and that's the EXACT point I've been making: thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuition, are functions in their own right, they don't require attitudes (or libido movements) to be functions. Yet everybody on this forum talks like functions require I and E.

All you're doing is proving the "basic lol" of what I've been saying for the last two years here.

i just said that he seems like INTP based on how he writes, that doesent require some general theory about how to type based on writing style.

Then it requires some method known only to you and a few others. Why not share this secret with the rest of us?

there are so many examples that i could use, which doesent follow any strict theory, but those things work as a sort of hints about what going on in his mind and to me it seems like they point towards a mind of an INTP.

Look at writing style, writing topics - then look at everything else about the person that you can discover. Why do you try to work from such limited data as writing style?

why do you keep replying to me with this sort of bullshit? i mean i understand that you are hurt and feel bad because of some health problems, but its not really a reason to try to annoy other people to make them feel bad too. so the underlying question is. why do you think that it would make you feel better if you try to make other people feel bad?

Why does it annoy you that I want to know your secret to typing someone solely by their writing style? It sounds a lot easier and would save a lot of researching.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, and that's the EXACT point I've been making: thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuition, are functions in their own right, they don't require attitudes (or libido movements) to be functions. Yet everybody on this forum talks like functions require I and E.

All you're doing is proving the "basic lol" of what I've been saying for the last two years here.

you said: "Then we are all sensing types because we have senses." , said lol learn the basics because this claim of yours is total nonsense and having sensing doesent make you sensing type, or thinking type or what ever. if someone has a thinking attitude instead of sensing attitude, that makes him thinking type, even tho he has sensing function. but i bet this is complete gibberish to you since you probably know only about how the word attitude refers to type in its reference to introversion and extraversion.

so ill just quote jung lexicon here a bit which might help you a bit with these basics:

Orientation
A term used to indicate the general principle governing a personal attitude or viewpoint.

One’s psychological orientation determines how one sees and interprets reality. In Jung’s model of typology, a thinking attitude is oriented by the principle of logic; a sensation attitude is oriented by the direct perception of concrete facts; intuition orients itself to future possibilities; and feeling is governed by subjective worth. Each of these attitudes may operate in an introverted or extraverted way.

also i dont really care to explain further, so think about it yourself and do some studying if you dont understand this.

Then it requires some method known only to you and a few others. Why not share this secret with the rest of us?

Look at writing style, writing topics - then look at everything else about the person that you can discover. Why do you try to work from such limited data as writing style?

Why does it annoy you that I want to know your secret to typing someone solely by their writing style? It sounds a lot easier and would save a lot of researching.

i never said i type solely on writing style, you know this if you read and understood what i said, if you didnt understand or read, then there is something seriously wrong with you, however if you did your only purpose is to write crap to me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you said: "Then we are all sensing types because we have senses."

Yes, because YOU keep contradicting your own explanation, pure and simple.

You wrote:

"sensing function is a function that takes in physiological stimuli, i.e. physiological sensations. naturally when the sensation is I or E, it has some differences, but the main point is that it is physiological sensation."

And then just below that, you quoted Jung saying:

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function"

It's just astounding that you can't see these direct contradictions even when they are standing right in front of your eyes with a huge neon sign with glaring letters flashing CONTRADICTION over and over again.

Are you blind, or are you assuming that I, an INTP, am too STUPID to spot all your OBVIOUS contradictions?

Now let's have yet another explanation of how I don't know the "lol basics." At least I know basic logic.

said lol learn the basics because this claim of yours is total nonsense and having sensing doesent make you sensing type, or thinking type or what ever. if someone has a thinking attitude instead of sensing attitude, that makes him thinking type, even tho he has sensing function. but i bet this is complete gibberish to you since you probably know only about how the word attitude refers to type in its reference to introversion and extraversion.

so ill just quote jung lexicon here a bit which might help you a bit with these basics:

also i dont really care to explain further, so think about it yourself and do some studying if you dont understand this.

i never said i type solely on writing style, you know this if you read and understood what i said, if you didnt understand or read, then there is something seriously wrong with you, however if you did your only purpose is to write crap to me.

"A sensation attitude is oriented by the direct perception of concrete facts." Jung Lexicon.

There's no such thing as a sensation attitude in Jung's theory.

Quit posting crap.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's no such thing as a sensation attitude in Jung's theory.

Quit posting crap.

"When a function habitually predominates, a typical attitude is produced. . . . There is thus a typical thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuitive attitude" -Jung 'psychological types'

nuff said. rest of your post(s) is similar shit i dont care to reply to.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"When a function habitually predominates, a typical attitude is produced. . . . There is thus a typical thinking, feeling, sensation, and intuitive attitude" -Jung 'psychological types'

nuff said. rest of your post(s) is similar shit i dont care to reply to.

You wrote:

"sensing function is a function that takes in physiological stimuli, i.e. physiological sensations. naturally when the sensation is I or E, it has some differences, but the main point is that it is physiological sensation."

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
You wrote:

its psychological function that takes in physiological sense stimuli: "Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

you are just using some partial quotes from jung to support your twisted views and have been doing it throughout the whole topic.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
its psychological function that takes in physiological sense stimuli: "Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

you are just using some partial quotes from jung to support your twisted views and have been doing it throughout the whole topic.

Since you feel the need to accuse me of some kind of pernicious eeeeevilll in your every reply, I'll go ahead and quote the entire Jung passage just to ease your anxieties.

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

If you still don't see the difference between the two quotes, which I helpfully pointed out to you using bold fonts, then I'm afraid there is no hope for you until you learn the "lol basics."

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Since you feel the need to accuse me of some kind of pernicious eeeeevilll in your every reply, I'll go ahead and quote the entire Jung passage just to ease your anxieties.

"Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception. It is, therefore, identical with perception."

If you still don't see the difference between the two quotes, which I helpfully pointed out to you using bold fonts, then I'm afraid there is no hope for you until you learn the "lol basics."

i dont know what universe you live in, but where i live psychological things are also physiological things. with perception there is an external physiological stimuli which triggers physiological reaction in a body, which when travels to the brains becomes a psychological thing. "sensing function is a function that takes in physiological stimuli, i.e. physiological sensations." "Sensation, or sensing, is that psychological function which transmits a physical stimulus to perception."

now you are just stuck on some mode where you refuse to understand what is said to you because you are trying to protect your ego about being wrong with all your crap on this(and other) topic. -> only cry cuz crappeur :-------DDDDDD

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i dont know what universe you live in, but where i live psychological things are also physiological things.

Then your universe is wrong.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so you think this is just pseudoscience https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropsychology ?

psychological: Of, affecting, or arising in the mind; related to the mental and emotional state of a person.

physiology: The branch of biology that deals with the normal functions of living organisms and their parts.

Physiological = body; psychological = mind.

"lol basics"

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Because sensation transmits physical changes to consciousness, it also represents the physiological impulse. But it is not identical with it, since it is merely a perceptive function." (Psychological Types, 586)

I suppose I have to explain this to you too.

Physiology IS NOT IDENTICAL with consciousness.

"lol basics."

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey guys I think Carl Jung is just like Yoda because he's a 9w1 who people can't freaking tell for the difference between INFJ and INTP!

It's funny how those 2 types look so dang similar to people, since I thought FJ and TP is suppost to be like the explorer Vs. the loyalist.