• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Birth Order and Introversion/ Extroversion

What is your birth order and level of extroversion?

• Total voters

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wonder if there is a correlation between birth order and introverted or extroverted traits. Feel free to discuss if your birth order has influenced you as an extrovert or an introvert. :)

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think being younger than my ENFJ older brother has made me more introverted. He spoke for me when I was extremely little (or so I'm told), and would often get into loud arguments and discussions with my parents that I would be too scared to join, so I just listened. I don't think having a little sister really contributed though.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't buy this. Sorry :blush:

I am the oldest, brother in the middle and step sister youngest. As a child i was more extroverted than at present and my brother was quiet, now he is the life and soul of the party and hates spending time on his own (he needs company at all times, ESTP) and my sister (ESTJ) was a total introvert as a child and now is just as extroverted as my brother.

My oldest son has always been an introvert and my younger kid has moments of both introversion and extroversion depending on his mood.

T

ThatGirl

I am the youngest of four. I was an obnoxious little shit when I was younger but I had the right to be. In everyone's face. Now I am an introvert.

A

Anew Leaf

Wonder if there is a correlation between birth order and introverted or extroverted traits. Feel free to discuss if your birth order has influenced you as an extrovert or an introvert. :)

I don't think there necessarily is... because I think introversion and extraversion are traits we are simply born with having.

I do think that being an only child made me more introverted though. I was left to my own devices most of the time since both of my parents worked. Lots of time to learn how to entertain myself for many years, and to learn how to adapt to the hermit lifestyle I have come to appreciate so much. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm the youngest and always have been introverted according to my parents. so nothing in the enviroment made me that way, though my brother is very extroverted

Sinmara

Not Your Therapist
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know how accurate this poll is going to be. Most of the people on this forum are introverts, so all of the introverted options are naturally going to be higher.

For what it's worth, I'm the youngest of two children. My sister and I are both very much extroverts.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
This is yet another thread searching for ridiculous and likely bogus correlation.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius is a middle child and a introvert. All his sibling are probably introverts as well.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is yet another thread searching for ridiculous and likely bogus correlation.

If there is no correlation between the two variables, then the evidence presented in this thread will show it. Thus, proving the hypothesis null and void.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm the oldest of two and an introvert. My younger brother is an introvert as well.

gromit

likes this
Second of six, and pretty borderline introvert/extrovert.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I am the youngest. My brother is an ISTJ. I think to add a lil more onto this I would say he was forced to be a little more responsible which means in the USA creating stability and as such he developed an Introverted Sensing dom in order to combat that need.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was the youngest of my fathers and have two older sisters. was very much always treated as the baby...i also had a younger sister who had a different father from my mothers 2nd marriage but with the age difference...and i guess the fact that my father was very much in our lives...joint custody and all that...i never really felt like a middle child...tho i should've i think...because i do feel like an older sister....whatever...anyway...both youngest and middle child i guess and extroverted. my oldest sister is also extroverted and the other two are not....they're also the only s's in the family.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The oldest child here, and an introvert if there ever was one.

For what it's worth, my younger sister is even more introverted than me. She has difficulty being assertive.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If there is no correlation between the two variables, then the evidence presented in this thread will show it. Thus, proving the hypothesis null and void.

Not necessarily. There could appear to be a correlation just because of chance, especially if there are only a few dozen people who vote.

According to a psych prof I had in university, much of the birth order effect is only apparent when you are with your family. For example, the oldest child is often "the responsible one" around their family, but they don't necessarily act more responsible and dutiful around their peers, or after they grow up and move away. So it's basically people responding to their situation, not developing permanent traits.

Anyways, I'm my mother's oldest (1 half-sibling, 12 years younger) and my father's only.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not necessarily. There could appear to be a correlation just because of chance, especially if there are only a few dozen people who vote.

According to a psych prof I had in university, much of the birth order effect is only apparent when you are with your family. For example, the oldest child is often "the responsible one" around their family, but they don't necessarily act more responsible and dutiful around their peers, or after they grow up and move away. So it's basically people responding to their situation, not developing permanent traits.

This is related to what I was thinking of. I also was thinking that there may be a possibility that introverts growing up as only children or starting off and then becoming the older child, may have the chance of honing in their more introverted traits at home. They become quite focused on their goals or their own thoughts/feelings. There may be a possibility that introverts that are the youngest child in the family are likely to become more introverted due to either having a more extroverted family and they desire to have their own space, or if they grow up in an introverted setting with much older siblings, they will become self-reliant and more involved in their own inner worlds. Middle child introverts could exhibit moderate levels of introversion due to having either a sibling that encourages them to be more expressive, or the older sibling that helps take care of them.

Conversely, with extroverts, it may be possible that those that are the oldest children in the family feel a higher amount of responsibility to take care of their siblings, thus being a bit more outgoing and encouraging with their family. For middle child extroverts, they'd show moderate levels of extroversion because they may need to spread out the attention evenly between their two siblings and other family members. For youngest child extroverts, they would be perhaps even more extroverted because they would receive attention from other family members.

Not sure if this is really the case, though. It may be just by chance that these scenarios happen. Would need sufficient evidence to support this.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
anyone relate to this?

First Borns: Energetic, Logical, Ambitious, Enterprising, Scholarly. Famous first born children: Walter Conkrite, Dan Rather, Oprah Winfrey, Rush Limbaugh and Arsenio Hall.

Middle Children: Flexible, Diplomatic, Rebellious, Attention-seeking, Competitive, Peacemakers. Famous middle born children: Donald Trump, Ted Kennedy, Tim Allen, Julia Roberts, and Rosie O'Donnell.

Last Born Children: Risk takers, Idealists, Good sense of humor, Immature, Attention-seeking, Secretive, Sensitive. Famous last born children: Howard Stern, Jay Leno, Ralph Nadar, Bill Gates, and Danny DeVito.