• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Followers of Astrology: Why are you a believer?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am not a follower of astrology, but it seems a lot of people are. To those who put stock in the merits of astrological typing, on what grounds do you stand by its application and accuracy?

Many thanks in advance!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Why do i always bite ..

Why do i believe? i don't follow it with a fine tooth comb but i use it as a tool, just as people for forever have used the moon to guide them. I don't pay much attention to the daily horoscopes but with more indepth detail i am curious and as i have a thirsty appetite for more knowledge i am not quick to discredit it.

I like metaphysics, so this subject along with others will hopefully give me some answers. Or maybe more questions, lol.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I used to be a hard core atrology buff. I'm not talking sun and moon signs, I mean full birth chart interpretation, etc. I got alot of it from my hippy mother that was reading birthcarts, ruins, and tea leaves the entire time I grew up. I was asking people their signs when I was like, 9 yrs old lol. Anyhow, in my early twenties I decided to really research it.. scientific studies on it. I came across this study, (I can't remember the name and don't ask me to dig it up - I say do your own research) but this guy did a study over a 30 year timeframe. He tracked a bunch of people all born on the same date, time, in the same area.. so this would mean their entire birth chart would be the exact same, right down to the rising sign.. and he followed these people for about 30 years. He studied their personalitys, physiological traits, life choices, careers, blah blah blah. He came back with less than a 3% consistency on any of it. Prior to his study, he had been an astrologer (I wanna say he was in Germany) and had written multiple books on it. He had decided to do the study to prove astrology was infact valueable when interpreted correctly, and he found out it was a steaming pile of shit. After I read this study, (and many others that just couldn't pull any evidence) I stopped asking anyone their sign and don't think I have since.

It's the same for being an x-smoker, or x-religious fanatic, or x-straight edge hahaha as you actually seem to be even more intolerable of it, because you were so deluded yourself at one time. I fucking cringe when I see people bringing it up now.. and feel that this Doug Stanhope Clip does my feelings justice:

(forward to about 6:25, especially if your sensitive to anti-semitism)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAVyiJ1SINE"]feeding me chili dogs[/YOUTUBE]

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i know a decent amount about astrology, and am interested in it, but i don't know that i'd call myself a 'follower.' i don't 100% believe in it, but i have noticed a lot of coincidences and patterns between people i know of the same sign. and sometimes daily horoscopes are weirdly accurate, but i don't plan my day around them or decide who to date based on their sign or anything. it's harmless fun for me.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm not a believer, but if you're looking for an intellectually defensible position on astrology, Richard Tarnas is the best I've found.

Richard Tarnas, 'Cosmos and Psyche'

Richard Tarnas was born in 1950 in Geneva, Switzerland, of American parents. He grew up in Michigan, where he studied Greek, Latin, and the classics under the Jesuits. In 1968 he entered Harvard, where he studied Western intellectual and cultural history and depth psychology, graduating with an A.B. cum laude in 1972. For ten years he lived and worked at Esalen Institute in Big Sur, California, studying with Joseph Campbell, Gregory Bateson, Huston Smith, James Hillman, and Stanislav Grof, and later served as director of programs and education. He received his Ph.D. from Saybrook Institute in 1976. From 1980 to 1990, he wrote 'The Passion of the Western Mind', a narrative history of Western thought which became a best seller and continues to be a widely used text in universities throughout the world. He is the founding director of the graduate program in Philosophy, Cosmology, and Consciousness at the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, where he currently teaches. He gives many public lectures and workshops in the U.S. and abroad.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y3lxD0MxqY"].[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDCYd2n1B8&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u26UIR7QMyI&feature=related"].[/YOUTUBE]
You can also download an interview he did with the CBC here. The link to the CBC website is broken, but the link to download the file still works (the file downloads quickly). This is the best interview I've seen him give on the matter.

Last edited:

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Astrology is like chocolate... don"t overdue it, and it's a pleasant distraction.

sceadugenga

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I read a great deal about astrology in high school, and the only real purpose I could find in it was to use the symbols and concepts as anchors while exploring my own mind, thoughts, and perceptions. "Anchors" is half-right, anyway, the other half being as life-lines so that I could inquire in the deep, shifting realms of consciousness and pull myself back intact afterwards.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I am not a follower of astrology, but it seems a lot of people are. To those who put stock in the merits of astrological typing, on what grounds do you stand by its application and accuracy?

Many thanks in advance!
All religious - including my own - thrives of fear of death and afterlife. But no religion can prove its accuracy in this life.

Astrology on the other hand can read your life, your personality, your past and future quite accurately. It doesn't care whether you believe it, give a good astrologer your accurate birth details and he will prove its accuracy to you.

I've been learning and practicing astrology since 2020.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I've picked up on qualities associated with the sun sign when looking through dating profiles.

I don't believe in the whole planets stuff.

It surprises me that this stuff hasn't been scientifically verified. It seems pretty clear to me.