• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cognitive Function Quotes

Silveresque

I though of an idea to find quotes that fit each of the cognitive functions. Here's what I came up with:

Se
“I live a day at a time. Each day I look for a kernel of excitement. In the morning I say: "What is my exciting thing for today?" Then, I do the day. Don't ask me about tomorrow.” – Barbara Jordan

Si
“A smile happens in a flash, but its memory can last a lifetime.”

Ne
“Creativity is the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.” – William Polmer

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” – Albert Einstein

Ni
“There is no logical way to the discovery of these elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance.” – Albert Einstein

Te
“Science, at bottom, is really anti-intellectual. It always distrusts pure reason, and demands the production of objective fact.” – Henry Louis Menckin

Ti
“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.” – Albert Einstein

“A finely tempered nature longs to escape from the personal life into the world of objective perception and thought.” – Albert Einstein

Fe
“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” – Morrie Schwartz

Fi
“Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” – John Jakes

“More important than innate disposition, objective experience, and environment is the subjective evaluation of these. Furthermore, this evaluation stands in a certain, often strange, relation to reality.” – Alfred Adler

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Cool idea :yes:

Ni
"Ordinary people fancy they see something rigid, complete and permanent; in truth, however, light and dark, bitter and sweet are attached to each other and interlocked at any given moment like wrestlers of whom sometimes the one, sometimes the other is on top."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Silveresque

Actually, I wonder if this could be more Ne, looking at things in different ways. Maybe it's a combination of Ne and Ti. I thought it might fit Ti because Ti users like things to fit into a system or theory, and in contrast to Te users, they may not necessarily discard their theory immediately if they find some facts that don't fit. Ti tends to leave plenty of room for various possibilities and prefers to have all the facts before making a final decision. Thus if you have a theory, and then a few new facts are introduced that don't fit the theory, the Ti user would prefer to wait until more facts are introduced in order to get the whole picture before abandoning the old theory completely. It's not really "change the facts", it's more like "reinterpret the facts" or "look for new facts". That's just my interpretation, anyway.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Se: "I want to live and I want to love; I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of." - Morrissey ;)

Ni: "The future enters into us, in order to transform itself in us, long before it happens." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Fi: "I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul." - Pablo Neruda

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Cool idea :yes:

Ni
"Ordinary people fancy they see something rigid, complete and permanent; in truth, however, light and dark, bitter and sweet are attached to each other and interlocked at any given moment like wrestlers of whom sometimes the one, sometimes the other is on top."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Jung typed him as introverted thinking type later, in some earlier writings he mistyped him as introverted intuitive.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fe: We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders. -Maya Angelou

Ni: As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. -Carl Jung

Fi: Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. -J. K. Rowling

Ti: The unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates

Ne: You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Jung typed him as introverted thinking type later, in some earlier writings he mistyped him as introverted intuitive.

Well the specific quote itself is Ni for the most part; also I've read Nietzsche before and he seems to me to be an INTJ.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Fe:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature." - Abraham Lincoln, First Inaugural Address

Ti:

"All of science is nothing more than the refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein, "Physics and Reality"

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ni: As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being. -Carl Jung

Jung was INTP, and INTPs dont use Ni..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well the specific quote itself is Ni for the most part; also I've read Nietzsche before and he seems to me to be an INTJ.

I just know what jung said, but yea the quote does seem bit Ni'ish

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper

"For, as in the former case the purely empirical accumulation of concrete facts paralyzes thought and smothers their meaning, so in the latter case introverted thinking shows a dangerous tendency to force the facts into the shape of its image..." - Hot Carl.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fe
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with inherent and inalienable Rights; that among these, are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness; that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

-Thomas Jefferson

I just know what jung said, but yea the quote does seem bit Ni'ish

Indeed.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"For, as in the former case the purely empirical accumulation of concrete facts paralyzes thought and smothers their meaning, so in the latter case introverted thinking shows a dangerous tendency to force the facts into the shape of its image..." - Hot Carl.

I've never heard of this as a Ti tendency (apart from the general human tendency to do so). How very...unscientific.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Unless he was ISTP by current typology (that's another story though...) the quote itself kind of seems like a combinantion of Ti and Ni, and how it is about lighting mere being (perceiving meaning from the flow of experiences) rather than an a more active figuring it out seems more Ni-ish to me. I don't know... it would be interesting (and awkward) if Jung himself explained the type of his quote.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

"You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something."
- Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

Both are Ti, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And a good one for everyone to keep in mind:

"If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. The free mind is not a barking dog, to be tethered on a ten-foot chain."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr. (1900 - 1965)

G

Ginkgo

Even if they don't use Ni, they can still say something that encapsulates a function they do not prefer. That particular quote isn't just an elegant statement, it symbolizes a great deal. Whether he was INTP or not is irrelevant from the gist of the thread.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Te
“Science, at bottom, is really anti-intellectual. It always distrusts pure reason, and demands the production of objective fact.” – Henry Louis Menckin

Ti

This is why I like Te better than Ti.

Ti scares me.