• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Personality Page Crap?

Sunny Ghost

I think ISFP's, since they do lead via Fi can definitely be somewhere in the middle of, agreeing with consensus, holding back opinions when it's not of dire concern, in order to get along with others and being fierce about their ideals. I don't think they contradict one another. When it matters, we stand up for what we believe in. When it doesn't matter, there's not any real reason to worry about trivial things, especially since everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Think... Harry Potter. My favorite ISFP. :D He stood up for things that were important. We're not the type to go around jumping into debates with people.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's nothing minor about the difference between an EKG and an EEG. No Marm, people aren't trolls for merely stating facts. However, calling people trolls as often as you do, is considered flaming. Knock it off.

I don't like you. You're always nasty to me for no reason.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is the same basic thing I have been explaining to INTP's, regarding the blended temperaments in each type tempering each other. Especially when you pair an introverted Interaction Style with a pragmatic Keirsey group (which is basically another kind of "extroversion" in the temperament sense).

So this is why INTP's don't usually recognize the Choleric side of their personality when looking at the Galen temperaments, and also why ISFP would have a similar issue in being an introvert, yet seeming like an extrovert in some ways. In addition to the likeliness of SP corresponding to what is called a Sanguine in Control, which is known to "swing" between action and passivity at times. (And Phlegmatic Sanguine in Control is the same way).

Plus, Fi being normally peaceful and acquiescent to others' needs, but then standing up for its values when really violated. This plus the Se, again, will describe some of what you're saying.

And different sites and descriptions will focus on one side of this stuff or another. And yes, some will be off base, though Personality Page's stuff seems to be OK.

Still, I would agree with Huxley, and you do still seem more on the E side to me at this point.

I'm like the bolded IRL, totally.

What's funny is that people who actually KNOW me...like people who have been my Live Journal friends for ten years, and JTG1984, have a very hard time buying me being an extrovert.

I'm also introverted compared to my mom and at least one of my sisters (ESFP and ENFJ, respectively) and when my ENFJ best friend met me in high school she called me "a big loner" and said that she was intrigued by me because "everyone knows who you are, everyone talks about you, but it doesn't seem like anyone really knows you."

People in the house I lived in with bunch of roommates called me "quiet" "almost like she's not here sometimes" "sweet"..."but don't fuck with her."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh my ESFJ ex also used to call me "introvert."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I agree with the parts of that which I understood. I don't go into that much depth with personality theory because to me it's like digging deeper into the cotton candy fluff. It's the kind of theory that just dissolves itself, and the deeper I go the faster it dissolves as it becomes more abstract, more divorced from reality.

If Marmie is an ISFP, then it's not that she is more E but that she is more S. Or one could say she expresses more SE than usual while still being an ISFP. This phenomenon was predicted by John Fudjack based on the MBTI's circular reasoning fallacy. There is nothing in theory to prevent this type from being iSfp versus isFp except the MBTI assumption that the ISFP must have P-non-closure Fi dominant. The iSfp creates a slightly different type, and the new theory contains 32 types rather than the usual 16. (The Fudjack type theory also omits the P and J.) So if Marmie personally disagrees with the ISFP description, it's only because there is no single type-description in the MBTI that matches her preference order.

The MBTI predicts that Marmie, as an isFp, should have a function preference order of F-S-N-T (or what this forum calls Fi-Se-Ni-Te). But S-F-T-N is also a possibility, which will give iSfp (non-closure Si which is usually considered a j-closure function like the classic iSfj).

This, however, is how she scored on the Fudjack-Dinkelaker Functional Preferences Instrument on 4-24-2011 -
N = 20
S = 1
F = 7
T = 8

In other words, the preference order is N-T-F-S. Intuition was the leading and by far most outstanding score on Marmie's test result.

Marmie agreed with this for the most part, stating only that the F-T difference was off by one letter, hinting that she really prefers F over T, and implying that N belongs at the top in the order of preference.

Let's assume that she does prefer F over T. This gives a preference order of N-F-T-S. So if she is an introvert, that gives NiFe, or iNfj (Ni with j-closure), as one possibility, but it also allows iNfp as another possibility. The latter is an Ni with p-non-closure, which is not allowed for by the MBTI naming convention for determining type.

So yes, Personality Page is crap insofar as the MBTI is a crappy theory based on circular reasoning and fallacy-riddled assumptions.

This is a good post, really mal. Thanks.

The best single description I have ever read is the Exuberant personality one, as I already said, but it would definitely point to a more ambiverted ISFP, someone who leans more toward extrovert.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh but that Fudjack-Dillrinker test is crap...it totally mistypes people. If I'm an ENTP, then the sky is falling.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a test can be off with some types and handle other types just fine, so that doesn't make the test uniformly "crap." It's just obvious the questions/scaling for some types was properly implemented, but other types were not.

Just my two cents.

I don't like you....

I don't care.

Goodness.... people will say you're in love.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think a test can be off with some types and handle other types just fine, so that doesn't make the test uniformly "crap." It's just obvious the questions/scaling for some types was properly implemented, but other types were not.

Just my two cents.

It's just that SOOOO many people were mistyped on that test, not just myself. That is my observation. That thread became almost like a joke at one point.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My personal experience with ISFPs is that they do hold back a lot. I haven't met too many who I'd call strong verbal communicators, especially when it comes to their feelings. Most I know in person will reach a point where it comes out in a passive-aggressive manner, via snarky comments or destructive behavior.

Like any Fi-dom, they may be more open with those they trust in their inner-circle. The theoretical descriptions of Fi describe this reservedness as typical also. Jung describes a person who does not venture to express much of themselves unless it's a BIG DEAL to them, and a big part of this is due to an acute awareness that you feel differently from others & will not be understood. There's also little desire to affect other people with their feelings, whereas with Fe types, they very much want to influence others in order to create consensus and unity.

Some of the most quiet, reserved, withdrawn people I've known have been ISFPs. I think extroversion/introversion levels in terms of demeanor is an individual matter.

I think enneagram may play a huge part here too. Many ISFPs are enneagram 9 and they will withdraw & shutdown to cope, avoiding conflict & communicating with others. Profiles tend to be based partly on theory, partly on the writer's own observations. I often see many INFP profiles, for example, read like 9 types, and as a 4 I don't relate as well.

When it comes to INFP profiles, personalitypage is one of the better ones, IMO. That's the one which made me first consider I may be INFP, since I usually test INTP.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's just that SOOOO many people were mistyped on that test, not just myself. That is my observation. That thread became almost like a joke at one point.

My experience was that he got Fives and some other types right, but others were botched somehow.

I talked to him at length online a number of years ago (Fudjack)... very smart man, that was obvious, but not sure how much I trusted his conclusions, he seemed kind of lost in his data.

I was already going to buy some pink and blue cigars just to be ready.

I've got the birdseed!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My personal experience with ISFPs is that they do hold back a lot. I haven't met too many who I'd call strong verbal communicators, especially when it comes to their feelings. Most I know in person will reach a point where it comes out in a passive-aggressive manner, via snarky comments or destructive behavior.

Like any Fi-dom, they may be more open with those they trust in their inner-circle. The theoretical descriptions of Fi describe this reservedness as typical also. Jung describes a person who does not venture to express much of themselves unless it's a BIG DEAL to them, and a big part of this is due to an acute awareness that you feel differently from others & will not be understood. There's also little desire to affect other people with their feelings, whereas with Fe types, they very much want to influence others in order to create consensus and unity.

Some of the most quiet, reserved, withdrawn people I've known have been ISFPs. I think extroversion/introversion levels in terms of demeanor is an individual matter.

I think enneagram may play a huge part here too. Many ISFPs are enneagram 9 and they will withdraw & shutdown to cope, avoiding conflict & communicating with others. Profiles tend to be based partly on theory, partly on the writer's own observations. I often see many INFP profiles, for example, read like 9 types, and as a 4 I don't relate as well.

When it comes to INFP profiles, personalitypage is one of the better ones, IMO. That's the one which made me first consider I may be INFP, since I usually test INTP.

Yes someone else also mentioned that this may be much more indicative of enneagram 9 ISFPs and that makes total sense...because enneagram 9 INFJs and INFPs also seem to be less confrontational as well.

I also agree that levels of introversion and extroversion are an individual manner.

I just don't know that me "extroverting" in writing = extrovert, because everything else IRL points to me being an introvert, other than the fact that I'm not afraid to stand up for myself and/or my loved ones.

I generally do not invite conflict IRL, at least not openly, and I am highly likely to withdraw and be quiet and reclusive like ...50 to 75 percent of the time IRL, but I express myself A GREAT DEAL in writing, and on-line.

I didn't always do that, though. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, up until high school I would hide what I was writing and was even hesitant to let people read my stories. Even when I first got on Live Journal it was this whole nerve wracking, anxious process to open up and let people read my thoughts, even if it was "friends only."

But then over time I realized it was exactly what I wanted to do - communicate with others and reveal myself more in writing. I would not enjoy doing this IRL, though. I don't think performing on stage equals extrovert, either. Growing up I was more comfortable dancing or singing on stage than I was talking to strangers or acquaintances face to face. And as a dancer I preferred being on stage to the part of having to talk to the guys a lot, it took me a while to get the hang of that. I also totally suck at any kind of sales for a similar reason. Don't want to talk to people, don't want to pressure them, and also don't want to be bothered...don't like expending the energy, and am bothered by the negativity of rejection.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a test can be off with some types and handle other types just fine, so that doesn't make the test uniformly "crap." It's just obvious the questions/scaling for some types was properly implemented, but other types were not.Just my two cents.

Thanks, now I don't have to read her post which I blocked.

Some people demand agreement, and that's type related. So is black-and-white thinking, as when something is either "all crap" or all white or something. For some reason it's necessary for everybody to be "on the same page" with THEM, and no disagreement is allowed. I like to use the term "Nazi," maybe "typology Nazi" would be best in this case.

I've also noticed Marmie and Jaguar following each other around the forum like two dogs sniffing behind each other's tails. They are just 'on patrol' for posts to be disagreeable about. That's a type 6 trait.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION]
I wouldn't be too concerned over one line in a profile you largely don't relate to. There is more than one line in nearly every INFP profile I would strike out, because the writer is just making generalizations to give an overview of how a type often appears.

Plus, I wouldn't view it as the ISFP not expressing opinions in order to please. People have this misconception about INFPs also. More often, with both Fi-doms, feelings are held back to protect them from being devalued by others or "contaminated" by their influence. It can be less about conflict avoidance than simply not having any desire to share, which is what the description of your younger self sounds like. It's true of myself also, and I'm not entirely sure why. I just know am hesitant to share my artwork or bad poetry or whatever with people. It simply exists for ME.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

My son is an ISFP and this is him. I have to agree with them being mysterious and very difficult to know. He is friendly, loves to be around people, and is seldom in a "bad" mood. He's extremely witty...very, very fun to be with. And so very private. You have to spend a huge amount of time watching him out of the corner of your eye to really get a true sense of who he is. I think most people would find him impenetrable if they look behind his friendly veneer.

And he will seldom express his opinion on things. If you ask, his answer is most likely a shrug. Most stuff simply isn't a big deal to him. There are some things that he will express his feelings on: invading someone's privacy, being disloyal, using/manipulating people...those are some of the few things I've seen him react strongly to. Even then, it's not expressed strongly, but he will become uncharacteristically serious and talk in great length on the matter.

Much of his feeling toward those he cares for is through acts of service or simply being close by them. His own feelings are carried in the vehicle of music, being outside, and doing things...wandering, looking. It's kind of hard to explain but he is very engaged when he is doing these things.

Marm, you remind me of a toned-down and smarter version of my ESFP sister.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Originally, you only disagreed with your result on the T/F scales. Now that you've changed your type AGAIN, you disagree with that N result from before whereas it wasn't an issue with you back in your ENFP days.

Look how many times you've changed your type around. How can you criticize the test when you can't even discover your own type?

YOU and one or two of your friends purposely made that thread into a joke. And you've done this to many other threads. It's a result of your unadulterated biases and fear of disagreement, nothing more. The point is that the MBTI is false to the reality of human personality. Fudjack's logic in the theory page is irrefutable. But if you're not open to logic (and you're not), then there's no point in continuing.

But what I offered you above (which you won't care about) is the answer to the riddle of your type. The fact is, whether or not you like the little test, the MBTI is flawed. Your type confusion, and disagreement with the ISFP description, may be due to the fact that you're the other kind of ISFP (assuming you are that). There is nothing in Jungian theory that says you can't favor Si and still have a non-closure preference. It's only the MBTI that assumes this.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Plus, I wouldn't view it as the ISFP not expressing opinions in order to please. People have this misconception about INFPs also. More often, with both Fi-doms, feelings are held back to protect them from being devalued by others or "contaminated" by their influence. It can be less about conflict avoidance than simply not having any desire to share, which is what the description of your younger self sounds like. It's true of myself also, and I'm not entirely sure why. I just know am hesitant to share my artwork or bad poetry or whatever with people. It simply exists for ME.

Hmm...this is very interesting. Sounds very much like a parallel of Ti. There's no desire to share and it's hard to even put into terms to share with anyone.

Jaguar

I've also noticed Marmie and Jaguar following each other around the forum like two dogs sniffing behind each other's tails. They are just 'on patrol' for posts to be disagreeable about. That's a type 6 trait.

I'm not even close to a 6. What you don't like, mal, is some of us question things that you just buy into - hook, line, and sinker. Sloppy thinking.

You got your panties in a wad ever since I told people to right-click on the code to look at the Fudjack test questions. Many of them were ridiculous, being assigned to certain letters. That's why several people were getting strange results. While you accept results at face value, others do not.