• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's Your Temperament?

Silveresque

I recently discovered this site here, which gives lots of cool information on the 5 temperaments: melancholy, sanguine, choleric, phlegmatic, and supine. I think most of you have probably already seen this, but I'm going to post it anyways.

5TemperamentsChart.png

Based on this chart, my temperament order is phlegmatic-melancholy-supine.
inclusion: phlegmatic - :mellow:
control: melancholy - :(
affection: supine - I can't find one for this...:shrug:

Inverness

MBTI Type
INFJ
Based off that chart...I'd be inclined to go with:

Inclusion - Supine
Control - Phlegmatic
Affection - Supine

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's my page, and I had created a topic on it here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...-temperament-inclusion-control-affection.html

I had directed people to actual temperament reports (so one had to go through three links and select the temperament for each area), and it did cross my mind to point to that table more as it's a much quicker reference.

Anyway, For Supine you could use :blush:
There used to be another shy looking one, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Then, of course, Sanguine :happy2:
Choleric: :ranting:

I always thought smilies for the temperaments would be nice, and never thought to select from the ones already there.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmmm
inclusion: phlegmatic, supine
control: melancholy, phlegmatic
affection: supine

i've always found it hard to relate to any single temperament, i can see parts of myself in all but choleric.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I always thought smilies for the temperaments would be nice, and never thought to select from the ones already there.

There needs to be a smiley for phlegmatic.

-.- or -_-

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In all the cases I'm choleric/melancholy.

Order is prone to switching depending on state of mind and general happiness level.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm a Sang-Phleg or Phleg-Sang

I'm Sanguine in Affection

I'm Phlegmatic in Inclusion

I'm Sang-Phleg in Control

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That face looks less like Phlegmatic and more like Frightened.
That face looked perfect to me. The Phlegmatic is just plain in description. They eyes are just drawn as vertical rectangles.

Of course, all five faces are represented in my avatar.

Also, your temperament for the most part matches the type you're going with now, But still, you always seemed more N (and E) to me.

Also, should point out that even with this table, INTP's are apparently going to tend to identify with Melancholy in Control ("I don't control you, so don't control me") more. I probably would if I had seen a table like this first.

But again, this is subject to the influence of the Inclusion temperament, which tempers the Control. I believe NT's are really Choleric in Control, which fits their characteristic need for "mastery". However, INT's likely won't start out approaching others saying "I'm the boss!" Because their expressed Inclusion is low, (represented by the I), and this is what determines how they approach others. If they're also a P, they introvert their judgment, and tend to be more open in the external world, so this will further temper the "bossiness".

It's once they're in a relationship, that the "I'm the boss" tendencies will surface more. That's how this table is to be read. The first column tells you who's in the relationship, and once in the reationship the second one then tells you who makes the decisions, and this can manifest as simply how much one needs to have one's own way, even if it means choosing not to make decisions is they can't do it their way.
(Which is what happens with me a lot).

So, Phlegmatic in Inclusion means you can take people or leave them. So you (@OP) will tend to not approach many people, and be passive or noncomittal with them, so you won't appear to have an "I'm the boss" attitude a lot.
Then, Affection tells you how you are when the relationship becomes deeper, or at least how deep you want it to be. So Supine is going to be even more passive and agreeable than Phlegmatic. So this even further tempers the Control. (And it's the deepest level of the person?s temperament, and according to the FIRO theorists, the thus most important).

So this is why these methods aren't the most accurate (the actual test is), and can only give an approximation (though they seem to be close for most!)

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
I always thought of myself as phlegmatic-choleric (yes, seriously).

But from this:
Inclusion - Sanguine
Control - Choleric
Affection - Sanguine

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Interesting stuff.

Inclusion: Phlegmatic

Control: Choleric

Affection: Melancholy

Within

Permabanned
Following this chart I would type myself accordingly;

Inclusion: Supine
Control: Melancholy
Affection: Melancholy

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, that last one would be way off (though I allow that Affection could represent the Interaction Style as well; and this would make it fit perfectly for muji as well), but it's funny that you have "Melancholy-Choleric" in your signature. Which test did you get that from? One of the four temperament tests we've done here? (Trying to figure why you would identify with Choleric there, but the totally opposite Supine, here).

Silveresque

That face looked perfect to me. The Phlegmatic is just plain in description. They eyes are just drawn as vertical rectangles.

Of course, all five faces are represented in my avatar.

Also, your temperament for the most part matches the type you're going with now, But still, you always seemed more N (and E) to me.

Also, should point out that even with this table, INTP's are apparently going to tend to identify with Melancholy in Control ("I don't control you, so don't control me") more. I probably would if I had seen a table like this first.

But again, this is subject to the influence of the Inclusion temperament, which tempers the Control. I believe NT's are really Choleric in Control, which fits their characteristic need for "mastery". However, INT's likely won't start out approaching others saying "I'm the boss!" Because their expressed Inclusion is low, (represented by the I), and this is what determines how they approach others. If they're also a P, they introvert their judgment, and tend to be more open in the external world, so this will further temper the "bossiness".

It's once they're in a relationship, that the "I'm the boss" tendencies will surface more. That's how this table is to be read. The first column tells you who's in the relationship, and once in the reationship the second one then tells you who makes the decisions, and this can manifest as simply how much one needs to have one's own way, even if it means choosing not to make decisions is they can't do it their way.
(Which is what happens with me a lot).

So, Phlegmatic in Inclusion means you can take people or leave them. So you (@OP) will tend to not approach many people, and be passive or noncomittal with them, so you won't appear to have an "I'm the boss" attitude a lot.
Then, Affection tells you how you are when the relationship becomes deeper, or at least how deep you want it to be. So Supine is going to be even more passive and agreeable than Phlegmatic. So this even further tempers the Control. (And it's the deepest level of the person?s temperament, and according to the FIRO theorists, the thus most important).

So this is why these methods aren't the most accurate (the actual test is), and can only give an approximation (though they seem to be close for most!)

Interesting. I've never actually been in a relationship (if a romantic relationship is what you were implying), so I can't say what sort of tendencies will emerge, but I just can't see myself as choleric in any way. I don't act like the boss even when I am the boss. When I'm in a leadership position, I act more phlegmatic in Control. I don't like to be in charge or make decisions for a group, so I would rather get other people to offer their ideas, like a democracy. But otherwise, I'm melancholy in that I don't like people telling me what to do because I never tell other people what to do.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't have to be a romantic relationship. Any close relationship.

Perhaps even "I'm the boss" is misleading, because again, this is affected by one's social temperament. I'm hardly ever in leadership positions. One time when I was, was in boot camp (Air Force), when I was randomly appointed in charge of the cleanup of the chow hall (including the Instructors tables). Here was the perfect opportunity to be barking orders at others, yet my Inclusion still made me too nervous and passive. I did like the sense of authority, but just wasn't used to it, or confident enough. I have to be really a master at something before I can be confident like that.
In my current job, I've hit a basic glass ceiling because to move up, even to the lowest levels of supervision, requires better ability to "play the game" with people, with a lot of dirty dealing I often hear of. I wouldn't know how hard or lenient to be with people, or how much to take or resit from higher ups (don't want people getting over or runnig over me, but then don't want them all hating me either. You can also look at this in terms of inferior Fe. My plans here were to move up to something not supervisory, but it seems supervision is all else there is this agency).

So overall, I too seem more like a Phlegmatic in Control, who moves others to action and tries to be a diplomat between them (and thus also make me seem NFish); or Melancholy in Control, when I resist control by others. My wife even comments on that sometimes when I'm not being decisive, sometimes even going as far as to say "and you're supposed to be Choleric!" (And she's the one who tested me as one!)

This again is from having such a diametrically opposite Inclusion pulling you the other way. And with the Phlegmatic, it's not as opposite, but nevertheless lacks the energy
So again, it will instead come out more in the form of wanting your own way more than others, and pushing for it in more passive ways, and in competitiveness and oneupmanship in conflict or debate. (Which will be more visible in our E counterparts, but we're certainly that way too, just slower and quieter about it).

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I tend towards the same pattern as Within mine I think is more Sanguine however.

Supine - Sanguine - Supine

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you're an INTP too?
I notice that some NTP's do come out as Sanguine. Like ol' Xander, who had taken the actual FIRO-B and was the first ever person online I could compare the temperaments to type, scored as something that amounted to a Sanguine-Phlegmatic blend.

Where Melancholy shares with Choleric the low wanted Control (which amounts to structure-focus), the Sanguine shares the high expressed Control (pragmatism). So I look at that as a close match as well.