• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why cant I tap into my intuition at will?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My n shrivels up just at the sight of the opening credits.
My offensive tactics suck ass. I can only ride the offensive wave or plan a hard ass defense.

Light Yagami is a freak, even for an INTJ. the world would be a much more volatile, dangerous place if every INTJ had that kind of destructive mental capacity

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
huh? what do you mean by this? what about people who use Ni aka NJ?

What do you mean what do I mean by this?

It's basic MBTI.

Perceiving functions - N and S.
Judging functions - T and F.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
but they have to do with being an NF :newwink:

Not really. Sensing feelers often report a sense of telepathic connection with their children, best friend, husband, whatever, like just knowing something's wrong or someone needs them, like women's intuition.

That kind of intuition isn't the same thing. Sensing vibes? No, I don't think it's the same thing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you mean what do I mean by this?

It's basic MBTI.

Perceiving functions - N and S.
Judging functions - T and F.

She means the Jungian function Ni, which is called Introverted Intuition, and NJs have Ni as one of their top two functions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
huh? what do you mean by this? what about people who use Ni aka NJ?

He means that all of the sensing and intuition functions are related to Jungian perceiving. Se, Si, Ne, and Ni are all Perceiving functions.

Even though Ni dom/aux are Js.

It is the Judging functions Fi, Ti, Fe, Te that determine P or J. P means you lead with introverted Judging function, and J means you lead with extroverted Judging function.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not really. Sensing feelers often report a sense of telepathic connection with their children, best friend, husband, whatever, like just knowing something's wrong or someone needs them, like women's intuition.

That kind of intuition isn't the same thing. Sensing vibes? No, I don't think it's the same thing.

NFs do all of this with people they don't even know though. people are creeped out by me because I have talked to them for 3 minutes and revealed intimate secrets about there past and underlying motivations that only their closest friends knew about. when I was younger, I would just go around doing this to everyone I met, but I stopped because it would literally lead to grown adults screaming at me.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My n shrivels up just at the sight of the opening credits.

Lol. Yeah, not my favorite thing either. I usually just skipped it.

My offensive tactics suck ass. I can only ride the offensive wave or plan a hard ass defense.

Understood. That Te-Se loop can be a motherfucker. It's like Te says "OH SHIT! THIS IS IT!!!" and the Se part goes, "FUCK YEAH, BRAH! LETS DO IT!" and then you're like mid-action when Fi pricks up like, "Guys, somethings not right here..." and then it's like the very second you've completed the action that little nagging Ni-voice at the back of your mind finally comes in clear enough for you to hear "Yeah, you've managed to fuck yourself in like five moves. Nice job, jackass." Creative backtracking ensues.

What I've just described is a bad thing. It happens to me a lot, and I sympathize with you. Your OP is completely on point as to the solution: develop Introverted Intuition so that you have a more mature application of the dominant Extraverted Thinking. As with anything, the best way to learn is to find a good teacher and study, study, study.

In this instance, of course, you're gonna be learning from Ni-doms. You're paying attention to understand how they think about things so you can replicated it on your own later. Your understanding should work on a couple of levels.

First, there's the kinda "external" component. You're looking for how INJs talk about things. What kinds of things seem to stand out to them? How are they prioritizing this information? What you're looking for is a pattern in an Ni-guided assessment, getting a sense for the feel and rhythm of that kind of conclusion, and figuring out where, how and why their deliberations differ from your own. Or just ask them. Death Note is neat for this cause Light is highly sophisticated in his Ni usage, and you get to hear how he reasons out every action he takes. The "Ask an INTJ" thread is another trove of examples of Ni at work. Study. Look for trends. Ask questions. Draw conclusions. Get feedback. Repeat.

Second, is the more "internal" component. How do you feel when you use Ni, so you know you're on the right track. I'm not 100% why the subjective component is important, but it seems necessary. If your NTJ typing is correct, Introverted Intuition should already be there working for you. My experience is that its easiest for me to utilize Ni when I don't force myself to take the most immediate and direct path to a goal. Sun Tzu's notion of "taking the whole" is the quintessence of the Ni approach. You know you'll have a conclusion well-supported by Ni if it's not totally comfortable for you. Discomfort is overcome with more regular use.

Using Ni well takes a lot of discipline, I think, and Te can be a ruthlessly impatient hag sometime. Just take in all you can, and go easy on yourself. It's always fun to learn new things.

Especially when they can be later employed for the obliteration of one's foes and stuff.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jesus christ. Two walls of text in one day? I'm becoming one of those fucking people.

emot-suicide.gif

T

ThatGirl

Understood. That Te-Se loop can be a motherfucker. It's like Te says "OH SHIT! THIS IS IT!!!" and the Se part goes, "FUCK YEAH, BRAH! LETS DO IT!" and then you're like mid-action when Fi pricks up like, "Guys, somethings not right here..." and then it's like the very second you've completed the action that little nagging Ni-voice at the back of your mind finally comes in clear enough for you to hear "Yeah, you've managed to fuck yourself in like five moves. Nice job, jackass." Creative backtracking ensues.

Lol couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think Light is a freak. As a matter of fact I completely understand his reasoning. Where our train of thought is different and where my Ni gets left behind is this. I have the same exact defensive tactics as him, which is to shroud and move. So if someone comes at you, you bring the situation back to neutral, and while the person is still trying to regain sight of you, you move. When they come to their senses you aren't standing in front of them anymore. While they try to recoup and start on their direction, they are walking away from you.

Now here is where Light and I differ. As people start moving in the wrong direction, I just walk away in the opposite. Let them chase their wrong shit, and go back to doing my own thing. Light is different. He brings the strategy through to completion. When the person is led astray, they are walking in the wrong direction, he maneuvers to right in front of them. So they run into him like a brick wall.

Like Alexander I think it was, who used the strategy of attacking the rear, then slamming people from the front (or something I haven't read about that in a while). It finishes the act.

....Did that make any sense?

Edit: Emo shit removed.

Little_Sticks

If you want to use Ni, you have to passively assess the situation and make connections about how it's unraveling. If you're engaged with asserting yourself onto the world, you can't be using Ni. It passively reflects, Se directly asserts. Kind of like Si passively taking in the external world, Ne indirectly asserts.

pretty sure anyway. nothing else really makes any sense.

whatever. anyway.

T

ThatGirl

Hm, that could be why the more I try to apply it, the more people think I am a sensor.

I really need to unlock my creativity too.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lol couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think Light is a freak. As a matter of fact I completely understand his reasoning. Where our train of thought is different and where my Ni gets left behind is this. I have the same exact defensive tactics as him, which is to shroud and move. So if someone comes at you, you bring the situation back to neutral, and while the person is still trying to regain sight of you, you move. When they come to their senses you aren't standing in front of them anymore. While they try to recoup and start on their direction, they are walking away from you.

As you acknowledged, the difference here is that you're thinking tactically and Light is thinking strategically. Without going into all the components of strategy, he has devised a plan of action that takes into consideration every movement (within his reckoning) his opposition can take against his objective up until the point of victory. He's deliberately shaping the reality of his situation with each action he takes, not merely responding cleverly in context.

Theoretically, an ENTJs strength lies in the ability to grasp the pertinent details of the situation before them (Te), project the interaction of those variables to some point in the future (Ni), and recognize the best action to reap maximum benefit from that understanding (Se-Fi). We skip step 2 sometime, which is why we come off looking like ESTPs. INTJs otoh get the twinge in the force first (Ni), determine the right shit to start moving around to actualize it (Te-Fi), and wait it out till they have exactly what they want (Se-last). They're kinda like spiders with lasers mounted on their heads.

Strategy is easy because the models are finite and people are stupid.

A while ago I went head to head with someone who was a lot stronger than myself. I had to go on the defense, so I learned the whole shroud, maneuver, then run. At the same time I was becoming increasingly more introverted, and more introverted. So I just defaulted into the same strategy. I think I have used this so much, I let my offensive components dissipate. I don't turn to lead someone into finale of the act.

....Did that make any sense?

I need vision. To complete the thought. I used to know how....

Oh! That's right. I remember when I killed that part of my thinking. The person I went up against, figured me out too easily. I was so logical, my moves were predictable. So after I would shroud, and maneuver, I forced myself to act without thought. Without logic. To just ride the wave from there. I turned off that portion of my thought process to appear more random. To not be predictable in where my stance existed after. I guess it is use it or lose it....

How crazy did this post just sound? Lol.

I think I relate to this. I'll explain it this way. The intuition that allows us to truly optimize our dominant function and be the kinda mofos that ENTJs are reputed to be takes a certain swagger. NTJs are about big calls and deliberate, transformative actions. When your confidence is shaken the magic can seem to go away. I think since you aware of your patterns and can recognize them as ineffective you have what you need to make a positive change for yourself. I hate losing. It can be hard for me to be objective about it. The best you can do is to take what you can from it, and try to avoid the same mistakes going forward. To borrow a line from my ESTJ father: it's not failure, but how one conducts themselves in the aftermath that defines your character.

I think a neat and kind of low-stakes way to both develop your Intuition and build your confidence would be to take up chess if you don't play already. I started learning recently. I feel like I've learned more about strategic thought in a couple of weeks than I had from years of just passively reading up on military history.

Anyway. My point, TG, is not to be intimidated by the dumb anime boys. Being a strategic genius is just not that fucking difficult, and nothing to be overly impressed about. Be yourself and just enjoy what comes from that.

Alright. I'm now exhausted from all the touching and feeling. I'm going to go somewhere to do....something. :sleeping:

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
He means that all of the sensing and intuition functions are related to Jungian perceiving. Se, Si, Ne, and Ni are all Perceiving functions.

Even though Ni dom/aux are Js.

It is the Judging functions Fi, Ti, Fe, Te that determine P or J. P means you lead with introverted Judging function, and J means you lead with extroverted Judging function.

Thanks for the explanations, Marmie :) I know I knew that at one point, back when I was first learning about it, but I've known about it for so long I now just always think using the Jungian functions.

[MENTION=3]MacGuffin[/MENTION]

T

ThatGirl

Yeah, I did try playing chess. Lol, I could hold my own in the same amount of moves against better players, then I would die (hard to kill). I could be with a queen and a bishop, and going after the other person's king, and it would take forever.

I really, have a deficit of offensive strategy. Not just a deficit. My mind is completely closed off to it. Even as a normal person, with little strategical skills, some offensive strategy is inherent. I am completely blank.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I found it incredibly helpful.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

No offense but you guys haven't really given great suggestions about how to MAKE it happen.

And marm, you can just answer as you interperate it. How does what I said go against jung?

Also if type is such a preferance as everyone keeps saying lately why do people insist you are born as you are, and that type doesn't change? That makes no sense.

It's a subconscious action... If you could will it it'd no longer be based off of intuition, but evidence because that is essentially what you are wanting when you will it. You see things that are connected and are saying 'hey, connect these two things." however since you see the connection intuition has no reason to act upon the event, there is a reason why it is described as obscure connections. It is something that isn't readily used, because obscure relationships don't always exist, however when it is finally used it is fundamental enough to move mountains sort of speak. Somehow I feel like this is wrong, but it's 3am and that's all I have right now.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It's a subconscious action... If you could will it it'd no longer be based off of intuition, but evidence because that is essentially what you are wanting when you will it. You see things that are connected and are saying 'hey, connect these two things." however since you see the connection intuition has no reason to act upon the event, there is a reason why it is described as obscure connections. It is something that isn't readily used, because obscure relationships don't always exist, however when it is finally used it is fundamental enough to move mountains sort of speak. Somehow I feel like this is wrong, but it's 3am and that's all I have right now.

Definitively.
Intuition is already.
Consciousness is late born.