• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pictorial Guide to the Ne/Ni Distinction (the pics in no particular order this time)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
31.jpg

rube.jpg

invention37.jpg

bizarre_361_7.jpg

Copy%20of%20creation.jpg

wallpaper_creation_universe.jpg

introvert2.jpg

abstract-peacock.jpg

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just like your Se/Si thread, I feel like these pictures are far too abstract, and require too much elaboration. Upon first viewing I couldn't tell which was which, and even now I get the feeling that I would guess a lot of them wrong.

Two exceptions are the second from the top (with the machine), which seems clearly Ne, and the second from the bottom (with the man's face), which seems clearly Ni.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think those pictures make sense.

Chaos= Ne

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
1) Ni

2) Ne

3) Ne (also, eww gross wtf ugly ow looks heavy and painful)

4) Ni

5) Ne

6) Ni

7) Ne

How'd I do?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni
Ne
Ni
Ne
Ni
Ne
Ni
Ne

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just like your Se/Si thread, I feel like these pictures are far too abstract, and require too much elaboration. Upon first viewing I couldn't tell which was which, and even now I get the feeling that I would guess a lot of them wrong.

Two exceptions are the second from the top (with the machine), which seems clearly Ne, and the second from the bottom (with the man's face), which seems clearly Ni.

If they aren't kept abstract, then the whole point of the exercise will be missed. And if you're an S of any kind, the whole point will probably be missed anyway. But these iNtuitive pictures have to be kept even more abstract, since that which they describe is not easily contained in reality. It's one thing to imagine an invention, another thing to create it, or to create a new social structure. As for Ni, they often cannot be created at all, but leap far beyond the limits of reality -
images

I see N in general as describing a synthetical process of creation - a fusion of objects normally considered to be separate. The first picture is just a synthetic reproduction of reality that goes against the mainstream of thought regarding mermaids. A mermaid itself represents a fantastical fusion, but this one is even more so. I don't see it as Ne, however, because I see the Ne process as aimed more toward reality.

The third picture illustrates the absolute spontaneity of the synthetical thought process. Not only that, the character in it wields some kind of remote. He could be toying with some new invention.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
BullShit theres no particular order =D

NI
NE
NI
NE
NI
NE
NI
NE

I really dislike that third one down, btw. I'm not sure if that's a good example of Ni, but maybe someone else can explain later.

(I saw third one down as symbolic of a few things... 1) so many unrestrained ideas without meaning, value, or consequence that he gouges his eye out with a big smile (ne)? 2) perhaps a word play (IN-EYE- NI) which would actually be (Ne).. but it felt Ni for some reason.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Ni

2) Ne

3) Ne (also, eww gross wtf ugly ow looks heavy and painful)

4) Ni

5) Ne

6) Ni

7) Ne

How'd I do?

It looks like you missed one. I suppose I could have numbered the pics. But in this N type of example, I didn't want to constrain things by giving it any meaningful order. Because the post itself demonstrates an iNtuitive thought-expression that flies against mathematical order, time-sequence, and common-sense causality.

I'm guessing that number 3 to you is the facial rings. That style represents something so non-traditional, and the face is so withdrawn into itself, that I considered it good for Ni.

Number 7, which is number 8, has a flashy Se aspect to it. But it evolves from an unknown/unknowable center that vanishes beneath the chaotic expression, and explodes out into reality like the Ne process.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BullShit theres no particular order =D

NI
NE
NI
NE
NI
NE
NI
NE

I really dislike that third one down, btw. I'm not sure if that's a good example of Ni, but maybe someone else can explain later.

The third one is just some crazy ENXP playing with an invention. I like the spontaneous pure-joy expression of the activity there. Creative thinking should be playful, it should never be limited to this:

thinker.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, there's 7, I counted them again.

Yeah, expanding outward says Ne to me. The facial piercings said "too much going on, and not in an aesthetically pleasing way" so I thought it was Ne rather than Ni.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
OMGZ I just figured out how I missed it. I'm on a mac, using safari, and some pictures show up as these tiny little question mark boxes? Then I have to click on them to open the pic on the other page.

I missed the tiny question mark in the sea of the pics that were immediately visible until just now.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'll have pictorial guides for all of these functions soon enough, but for now here's a really rough guide for the Ni/Ne distinction.

Ni- Introverted iNtuition

Getting all symbolic and archetypal....

Kind of like a black hole, taking in all that surrounds it, taken as inwards as entirely possible, and then who knows what happens next...

galactic_black_hole.jpg

This one is like N in general, but it can be like Ni in the sense that it isn't things in the world that are changed, the change happens with oneself somehow.

1486487489696304513_jpeg___1_500_1_500_cb94de6a_.png

Things aren't as they seem. We could be wearing masks, or our masks could be wearing faces :shock:

tumblr_lnn1gfPKxN1qa5rnho1_500.jpg

Ne - Extraverted iNtuition

Symbolically/archetypically, more like fireworks. First one light emerges, then a few others emerge from that one and they all spread out and light up the sky.

fireworks.jpg

Not much for tradition...if tradition can be done more betta'

pikachu2.jpg

"Honey, you are 32 years old... why are you still playing with your food?" "Points to certain section in Psychological Types." "Okayyyyy, just make sure it doesn't go to waste."

untitledfry.jpg

"this isn't a waste..."

Also my current avatar is a lovely example of making something new by switching around the contexts ;)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's my brain on Ni high:
Banksian_Bliss_by_Charmed_Banksian_733.jpg

It's what I picture in my mind's eye when I find a deep insight.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If they aren't kept abstract, then the whole point of the exercise will be missed. And if you're an S of any kind, the whole point will probably be missed anyway.
Maybe I am missing the point, but I thought the point of a "guide" was to help people understand things. And if they're overly abstract, then their meaning is unclear to the majority of people. Guides are meant to be clear. So if it is abstract, it might as well be easy to read.

And if you meant it as an intellectual exercise to argue over which pictures are more Ne or Ni, then you ought to rename it, because that's confusing people and not guiding them. I will guarantee you that if this thread is like the other one, people won't come to it to find an easy-to-understand pictorial guide.

I like the idea of an abstract pictorial guide. But sometimes metaphors are simple, and sometimes they are only understood by the person choosing them. Consider the number of Intuitives who didn't "get" the pictures in your last thread. They required too much explanation.

Again, maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe you want them to be abstract enough that they aren't helpful to everyone. But from a Te perspective based on efficiency, I'm just saying that there could be clearer pictures.*

*Although to reiterate, I did like the two that I pointed out quite a lot, and they were very abstract, but still helpful, which is the point. It's not a pictorial guide if it requires a paragraph of accompanying text.