• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

For which types does E/I make the biggest difference?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJ and ESTJ seem pretty similar and so do ENFP and INFP
but ISFP and ESFP seem completely different and so do ENTP and INTP.
thoughts?

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Aren't Fe types usually somewhat outgoing even if they are introverted? Makes it harder to distinguish their preference.

I can see enneagram playing a role here too. An INTJ 5 can be very different from an ENTJ 8, but if they are both type 8 they might look very similar.

Sunny Ghost

I don't know about that. I generally think ENFP's have a completely different vibe from INFP's.

And I have one friend that blurs the E/I lines, but is a definite xNTP. I just can't decide which!

If the E/I is more balanced, the xSFP's can look somewhat alike. There are also the definite ISFP's and the definite ESFP's. But there are quite a number that fall somewhere in the middle.

ENTJ and INTJ. They're completely different. The ENTJ's I know are just as talkative as ESFP's. (No offense to anyone, but these are the two most talkative types, at least from my pool of friends.) The INTJ's I know blend into the wood work, in comparison. They're literally the types of guys that can get around and not ever be noticed, living almost invisibly. ENTJ's make their presence known and will talk at anyone and everyone.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
depends on if you're comparing energy level or vibe or what i think...i think people might mistype me as an infp if they were looking for classic extraversion but there's a pretty noticeable difference imo.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
thoughts?

I think they all make a big difference I and E are very noticeable, It's easy to sense when someone is an I or an E right off the bat but figuring out whether they are a J or P takes a bit more in getting to know the person. That's just from my experience anyways. ENFP and INFP are still very different it just depends on the angle your viewing it from. I've seen ISFPs act very "ESPish" and ISTJs and ESTJ are a world apart, again it all depends on how you look at it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aren't Fe types usually somewhat outgoing even if they are introverted? Makes it harder to distinguish their preference.

I can see enneagram playing a role here too. An INTJ 5 can be very different from an ENTJ 8, but if they are both type 8 they might look very similar.

what about an INTJ 8w7 and an ENTJ 5w6? my INTJ 8 friend frequently looks like an extrovert due to his 8w7 drive, overt assertiveness and tendency toward excess and intensity.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think they all make a big difference I and E are very noticeable, It's easy to sense when someone is an I or an E right off the bat but figuring out whether they are a J or P takes a bit more in getting to know the person. That's just from my experience anyways. ENFP and INFP are still very different it just depends on the angle your viewing it from. I've seen ISFPs act very "ESPish" and ISTJs and ESTJ are a world apart, again it all depends on how you look at it.

in a very developed person, I and E can (but not always) be very hard to tell apart. this is especially true if the person is older. if you look at a 50 year old ISTJ and a 50 year old ESTJ, usually there is hardly a difference. extroversion level is best observed during childhood and teen years, but even then, it's not always so easy, especially in the case of ENFP, a type which is always in their head, prone to daydreaming and often more energized by ideas than people. I would even go so far as to say that your average ISFJ is more extroverted than your average ENFP

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends on the setting. My son is ISFP and one of my sisters is ESFP. They are very, very different people. However when my son is in his "extroverting" mode, he reminds me a great deal of my sister. The rapid-fire wit, cleverness, and 'performance' thing that they both do. When my sister is an introverted mode, she behaves in a fashion that I think my son probably would (if he were unhealthy...).

Most of the time ENTPs and INTPs come across as different but again in certain settings, some INTPs can give off ENTPish vibes. I often do but it's only because I've learned the hard way that I need to push my NeFe forward in social settings. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect system and I can get out of control. :doh: Or at the very least, give an entirely different impression of myself than what really exists.

ENFPs and INFPs seem very different to me. So do INTJs and ENTJs.

ISTP and ESTP similar but not enough to me to be confused about the E/I.

Not sure about the rest of the E/I.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
what about an INTJ 8w7 and an ENTJ 5w6? my INTJ 8 friend frequently looks like an extrovert due to his 8w7 drive, overt assertiveness and tendency toward excess and intensity.
I don't know, first of all I have a hard time imagining an ENTJ 5w6. (Real life examples?) Depends on how heavy their preference for extraversion or introversion is, if the INTJ 8w7 resources are quickly depleted but the ENTJ 5w6 are recharged though a bit more contained in social sitautions. But ENTJ's, especially with prominent Se, are usually easy to distinguish from INTJ's because Te/Se makes them really grounded and pragmatic, while INTJ's can be too preoccupied with their own visions and reject their inferior Se.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting question.

I think as an INFJ I can come across quite ENFJ sometimes, which to me is about the strong Fe, and the fact that it's the most "useful" function in my life in a lot of ways... I relate so much to what a lot of the ENFJs say/do that I really feel sometimes that the biggest difference is just that ENFJs are a lot more dramatic about how they put their feelings across (but the feelings are very similar to INFJ feelings).

Major differences... Off the top of my head, I'd say that ESFP/ISFP, ENTJ/INTJ, ESFJ/ISFJ and ENTP/INTP all seem very different.

I think ESTJ/ISTJ and ESTP/ISTP seem more similar.

Some of those are definitely based on personal IRL experience, some more on what I've observed on this forum and my knowledge of the types generally.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know, first of all I have a hard time imagining an ENTJ 5w6. (Real life examples?) Depends on how heavy their preference for extraversion or introversion is, if the INTJ 8w7 resources are quickly depleted but the ENTJ 5w6 are recharged though a bit more contained in social sitautions. But ENTJ's, especially with prominent Se, are usually easy to distinguish from INTJ's because Te/Se makes them really grounded and pragmatic, while INTJ's can be too preoccupied with their own visions and reject their inferior Se.

Bill Gates is an ENTJ 5w6

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems like a given IxxJ type looks more like its ExxJ counterpart than an IxxP type looks like its ExxP counterpart. In other words:

More similar looking:
ISTJ--ESTJ
ISFJ--ESFJ
INFJ--ENFJ
INTJ--ENTJ

Less similar looking:
ISTP--ESTP
ISFP--ESFP
INTP--ENTP
INFP--ENFP

That's just based on my personal observations and I don't have a very big sample size so take with a grain of salt.

It seems to me that the ISFJs and ESFJs can look alot alike and I can easily confuse one for another. Maybe I just happen to know more xSFJ types. I think ISFJs can appear rather extraverted due to auxilary Fe. They like to do the socially acceptable thing, often are gracious hosts, much like the ESFJ counterparts.

On the other hand ISFP and ESFP seem quite different to me but again this is based on who I happen to know.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
in a very developed person, I and E can (but not always) be very hard to tell apart. this is especially true if the person is older. if you look at a 50 year old ISTJ and a 50 year old ESTJ, usually there is hardly a difference. extroversion level is best observed during childhood and teen years, but even then, it's not always so easy, especially in the case of ENFP, a type which is always in their head, prone to daydreaming and often more energized by ideas than people. I would even go so far as to say that your average ISFJ is more extroverted than your average ENFP

ISFJ isn't more extroverted than ENFP they may just appear that way because of how they interact with people around them. Maybe they can relate to other "SJs" more than ENFPs so they appear more extroverted. ISFJ are still introverts and ENFPs are still extroverts. I can tell the difference between a 60 year old ISTJ and a 60 year old ESTJ which I have and I can tell you there is a big difference. However depending on the person it could be hard to tell.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It depends on the setting. My son is ISFP and one of my sisters is ESFP. They are very, very different people. However when my son is in his "extroverting" mode, he reminds me a great deal of my sister. The rapid-fire wit, cleverness, and 'performance' thing that they both do. When my sister is an introverted mode, she behaves in a fashion that I think my son probably would (if he were unhealthy...).

This is one of the reasons why I think I could be ISFP...my mother is ESFP and was a VERY RAMBUNCTIOUS CHILD ...she was kind of a trouble-maker, but in a light-hearted way, not in a mean way...except her stories about laughing at her sister in high school...my mother is definitely more extroverted than I am in the traditional sense of extroversion, but when I extrovert I AM SO MUCH LIKE HER. I can be all singing, all dancing, and have her sense of humor and histrionics. My sisters see our similiarities in build and some underlying facets of our personality. But I can get a lot more reclusive and bookish than her, I am quieter than her, and she's almost always doing...she only gets introverted when she's tired, sick, or someone hurt her feelings or something...you can see her Fi fragility then, she seems more like an Fi dom if someone is mean to her and makes her cry, she seems more IxFP...but that's really the only time.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
she's almost always doing...she only gets introverted when she's tired, sick, or someone hurt her feelings or something...you can see her Fi fragility then, she seems more like an Fi dom if someone is mean to her and makes her cry, she seems more IxFP...but that's really the only time.

Wow...that is my sister--right there!

The E in my sister causes her to become frantically busy to keep her out of her head when distressed. If that fails, then she does what you described above. Unfortunately, this happens quite frequently because she's spent years in abusive relationships.

The I in my son causes him to ponder and then work his Fi out in the physical realm...usually music.

It's kind of funny because they get along really well. It's especially fun to be around them both at the same time--they almost seem to switch personalities when interacting. Beyond that, I think you'd have to spend time to really see my son is not extroverted. He reminds me of Johnny Carson in his behavior. The split between his public and private personas are huge. Very, very much less so in my sister.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
thoughts?

Short answer: the bolded is just an illusion :tongue: The E/I should make about an equal amount of difference regardless of the three letters that follow. I am curious though about why you see more of a difference in ISFP/ESFP and ENTP/INTP.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thoughts?

The bolded part is kind of counter-intuitive, aren't ENTPs one of the most introverted extroverts?
Why would NFPs be so similar to each other and not NTPs? :huh:

nharkey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Off the top of my head I would say that judging always adds a certain amount of forcefulness, as does E, so when both J and E are gone the lack of forcefulness, directionality may be greater.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

my istj ex is so social and outgoing i think someone would have to know him well to know that he was an introvert.

i just think it's going to vary based on how strong of an e or i you are...but idk...even tho i'm not a strong e i think it's obvious that i'm externally focused.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
my istj ex is so social and outgoing i think someone would have to know him well to know that he was an introvert.

i just think it's going to vary based on how strong of an e or i you are...but idk...even tho i'm not a strong e i think it's obvious that i'm externally focused.

Usually introverts are very focused or distracted. Extroverts are more scattered I find jumping from one place to another you sure you're an Extrovert?