• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ADD and its effects on personality type?

treycalkins87

I have been trying to figure out which personality type describes me best. I have taken multiple tests and tend to switch back and forth between two different types, ISTJ and ISTP. The thing I am trying to figure out is if the wavering between two similar types is because of my ADD/ADHD whichever you want to call it. I tend to identify with aspects of both personality types, however, I feel like I may really be an ISTJ but with the addition of my ADD I get pushed more towards the fluency of an ISTP type. Any thoughts?

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have ADD and I think it tends to push me to be more P dom. On adderall or rititlin (sp) I tend to be more xNTJish (and when I mix with alchole more ESTP)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think disorders are a part of *you*...so don't adjust for ADD. If it's making you a P, then you're a P - because ADD is incurable.

I've got ADD too (but the hyper kind). If I didn't have it, I'd probably be an ExTJ, believe it or not.

redacted

It seems like Js with ADD are more likely to have the inattentive type as opposed to the hyperactive type. Regardless, you should type yourself with functions instead of dichotomies; it makes determining P/J much easier.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
As a neurological developmental disorder, ADHD leads to diminished executive function. That presentation may seem to affect personality type, but I don’t think it does. Inasmuch as ADHD affects behavior, it may color the expression of one’s personality, but does not change it directly.

Do your results change if and when you are properly medicated (if that is an efficacious option for you)?

Consider too that MBTI types are normative and are not informed by disorders, neurological or otherwise.

cheers,
Ian

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a neurological developmental disorder, ADHD leads to diminished executive function. That presentation may seem to affect personality type, but I don’t think it does. Inasmuch as ADHD affects behavior, it may color the expression of one’s personality, but does not change it directly.

Do your results change if and when you are properly medicated (if that is an efficacious option for you)?

Consider too that MBTI types are normative and are not informed by disorders, neurological or otherwise.

cheers,
Ian

I'd think that any xxTJ would have strong executive function. Te is basically purely executive function.