• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Worst You = The Real You?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Neurosis can make you hate WHAT YOU ARE and make you want to be THE INFERIOR. Or...conversely, instead of conscious admiration, it can just make you subconsciously act out the issues of that inferior function. Or both.
I always find this subject rather disconcerting. It adds whole new layers of complexity to the constant conflicts my ESTJ sister and I have had. :bitchfest: Its crazy to think, we're each the embodiment of the other's failings :shock:

I sometimes wonder if she has a INFP in the back of her mind berating her for everything she does wrong, like I have a ESTJ. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I always find this subject rather disconcerting. It adds whole new layers of complexity to the constant conflicts my ESTJ sister and I have had. :bitchfest: Its crazy to think, we're each the embodiment of the other's failings :shock:

I sometimes wonder if she has a INFP in the back of her mind berating her for everything she does wrong, like I have a ESTJ. :D

Yeah it's supposed to be disconcerting and make you uncomfortable. It can be extraordinarily painful if you have serious issues.

:cry:

It's good to face them though. To me there's nothing more wonderful than FINALLY SEEING IT or FINALLY FACING IT or FINALLY BEING TOLD or whatever. It's a new beginning to face...whatever it is.

Repression is so bad for you.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't agree. The worst me isn't something that I'm always trying to keep in check. It's something that comes out when I'm terribly pissed off, which is rare.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
How ENTJ of you to always be in control.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You just contradicted yourself. What a control move.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What you are is what you live as. Your dominant function is the function you automatically use and likely you do not realise you use it. When you read a book read in first person, the person has a general pattern he adheres to speaking about his experiences. You determine the person's dominant function based on those patterns. So how do you live life within your mind?

T

ThatGirl

At the OP.

You're saying that your worst self is your true self because it locks into the most basic instincts to act as such. But, this goes into the survive or thrive debate on whether it is natural for humans to only instinctively survive, or to live and thrive.

As for myself, my worst self is exactly who I am under my worst conditions, and my best, when I am in my best. There is no disconnect of identity.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I didn't contradict myself...

yes you did. you're very "relaxed" yet always trying to keep what you see as your weaknesses consciously in check.

If you were really relaxed you'd accept your weaknesses and not necessarily flaunt them (I don't think that's healthy either) but consciously working to keep the shadow self in check is very control-freaky and definitely indicates repression or rejection of part of your human self (and it probably affects how you view other humans and their weaknesses as well).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
yes you did. you're very "relaxed" yet always trying to keep what you see as your weaknesses consciously in check.

If you were really relaxed you'd accept your weaknesses and not necessarily flaunt them (I don't think that's healthy either) but consciously working to keep the shadow self in check is very control-freaky and definitely indicates repression or rejection of part of your human self (and it probably affects how you view other humans and their weaknesses as well).

Hey, I said I didn't have to keep myself in check, re-read my post..

The worst me isn't something that I'm always trying to keep in check.

so...IDK if we're talking about the same thing.

Jaguar

:shock:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yes, that's something I believe. I think people who cannot accept their own worst self or their own flaws tend to be more judgmental of the weaknesses of others, and it stresses them out to show weakness.

It's just my theory. You can disagree if you like, but I find it to be the case in my observation.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Er, I never said that your worst self isn't something that should be accepted...only that I don't agree with the fact that it's necessarily the core of our personality. It's the core of our personality in our "negative" moments, as much as our best is the core in our positive moments. Ofc, that's also my own personal opinion, but if I say that I'm not always trying to keep my "negative" self in check, doesn't really mean I'm repressing it, just that there's nothing ATM which causes its appearance.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well ENFP is the same as ENTP: EN...and ENFJ is the same as ESFJ...EF...(Ne dom and Fe dom, respectively)

Extraverted Feeling - EF(S) and EF(N)

Self-critical, self-blaming, pessimistic, overly susceptible to feeling guilty or remorse, constantly takes blames for others, judgemental to oneself and others, derogatory attitude, negativistic

Extreme Neurosis:
Depressive Personality Disorder
Histrionic Personality Disorder

Extraverted Intuition - EN(T) and EN(F)

addictions, impulsive, hypochondriacal, anxiety, addicted to drinking/sex/drugs/cigarettes/and other forms of bodily-induced sensations, dissociated from inner thoughts and feelings, workaholic, overly obsessed with a single object or idea

Extreme Neurosis:
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Anxiety Disorder

Thank you.
If I were going by stress reactions (and function theory) then ENFP is a better fit. I'm one hellva screwed up ENFP though.

Jaguar

Yes, that's something I believe. I think people who cannot accept their own worst self or their own flaws tend to be more judgmental of the weaknesses of others, and it stresses them out to show weakness.

It's just my theory. You can disagree if you like, but I find it to be the case in my observation.

You're shoving words in his mouth that he never said, and jumping to irrational conclusions.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hmmmm.... I don't know about that one. Seems like people can have any number of random reactions under stress, especially as they get older, that seems a little too murky to hold up. Especially if someone has a relatively relaxed and predictable lifestyle, and 95 percent of the time they are happy.... Only 5 percent of the time they are revealing their true selves? I'm inclined to think that you're true type is the one that offers the most comfort for your growing needs, so it attempts to cover your processes for the highest percentage of time, (so you can improve and learn and grow with the basic model.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Er, I never said that your worst self isn't something that should be accepted...only that I don't agree with the fact that it's necessarily the core of our personality. It's the core of our personality in our "negative" moments, as much as our best is the core in our positive moments. Ofc, that's also my own personal opinion, but if I say that I'm not always trying to keep my "negative" self in check, doesn't really mean I'm repressing it, just that there's nothing ATM which causes its appearance.

Okay I apologize for the misinterpretation.

My theory still stands for people who live in fear of their shadow, or who repress. My "you" was the general you who does this activity, so I hope you did not take it personally. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You're shoving words in his mouth that he never said, and jumping to irrational conclusions.

LOL you're one to talk. It's like you wait to jump on people to make mistakes.

I misunderstood him and those "irrational conclusions" are actually theories held up by many psychologists, it's just that I read his "isn't" as "is" and I apologized to him.

So settle down.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't agree. The worst me isn't something that I'm always trying to keep in check. It's something that comes out when I'm terribly pissed off, which is rare.

Not really trying to keep in check, but just something you'd never willingly want to show. My worst side is usually hidden away beyond my knowledge.