• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

That's right everybody: it's ANOTHER fellow asking if he's ENTP or ENFP!! XD

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Ahh, so ENFPs can be correctors too, eh? What I generally read is that ENFPs tend to be stubborn in the sense that they have firmly held beliefs (Fi), but that they tend to try to bring other people to those beliefs through careful persuasion because of their sensitivity to other peoples' feelings.

Hmm, Keirsey's description posits that ENTPs are 'laid-back and non-judgmental'...a result of the inherent flexibility in their perceiving rather than judging function. So maybe while good debaters when it allows them to explore each side of an issue and increase their body of knowledge, they aren't necessarily adamant on insisting that others conform to those ideas - perhaps that's more ENTJ material?

While both perceiving rather than judging types, does their Te tertiary possibly imply that ENFPs might have a greater need than ENTPs to attempt to make the external world (and those in it) conform to a certain pattern that's seen as rational, while an ENTP with their auxillary Ti would be content so long as a pattern can be devised within their person?

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You absolutely OOZE Fe. Like a festering infected wound.

Try ENFJ/ESFJ on for size.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You absolutely OOZE Fe. Like a festering infected wound.

Try ENFJ/ESFJ on for size.

ENTP's have tertiary Fe. I'm not sure how you figured he might be a Judger.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sensitivity doesn't always have all that much to do with T or F. I can be very sentimental. I just hate it.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So...?

Not enjoying correcting people is not very ENTP.
Does this means it can't be ENFP? Absolutely not.

That was my point. I was being facetious. Sorry. Doesn't go over well on the internet.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENTP's have tertiary Fe. I'm not sure how you figured he might be a Judger.

It seems OTT Fe for an ENTP. Tertiary can be strong, but it seems to dominate him.

If he's got Ne after that ---> ESFJ.

ESFJ is not a 4-letter word (well...) nor is it a death sentence. ESFJs judge with Fe rather than Te, so they can be downright fun and sprightly. Their care for the group makes them seem socially P.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
It seems OTT Fe for an ENTP. Tertiary can be strong, but it seems to dominate him.

If he's got Ne after that ---> ESFJ.

ESFJ is not a 4-letter word (well...) nor is it a death sentence. ESFJs judge with Fe rather than Te, so they can be downright fun and sprightly. Their care for the group makes them seem socially P.

Dominate me? Why, my girlfriend takes care of that...(hehe, sorry, dirty mind XD)

AHEM - oh contrare, I tried the lovely EXFJs on for size and they sound wonderful! I must say I was quite flattered that you think I come across as someone who would be that good with people - I wish, haha! But, like that lovely dress shirt that's available in EVERY darn size except your own...as attractive as it looks, I'm just not sure it would quite fit. I genuinely care about others, but...I've never been very skilled at sensing what other people are feeling, remembering their names, etc.

The main issue would be with the N and J aspects of the equation. Concerning the former I'm a theoretician first and always: I work in the sciences, and for everything I see my first thought is invariably in the form of 'what COULD this be?'...to the extent that I have almost no sense of what's ACTUALLY going on in the herenow before my eyes! In other words, I'm the sort of fellow who will be so preoccupied on how shoelaces could be implemented to solve the world's energy crisis, that I'd walk to work forgetting to tie them XD Correct me if I'm wrong or if the implications of cognitive functions can render my assumptions oversimplistic, but that seems like intuition over sensing through-and-through to me!

Similar with the fourth letter in our four-letter words: it's a universally known (and much-maligned!) truism among my comrades that naturally live by improvisation, making up what I do with every turn live brings my way to the extent that I couldn't plan ahead if my life depended on it; routines are anathema XD I not only enjoy novelty: I REQUIRE it, like the air to wings or the water to fins (get it? They can get by without it, but they'd be useless!) - to the extent that if three days pass and something new hasn't happened I will literally go out of my way to change things around so that it will! I'd say that fairly solidly drops me in the perceiving over judging zone, am I right?

But indeed, the riddle to my inner psyche does seem to have reached a conundrum in that 'festering ooze of extraverted feeling' you cite! Hmm...if that seems unlikely to be quite so strong even as a developed tertiary in an ENTP, and you agree based on what I've said that the intuitive and perceiving functions are pretty firmly in place there...is it possible I'm an introvert who seems like an extrovert? Do some of the introverted analogs sport a more developed Fe? I do derive my energy from the experiences around me and dislike being alone, and do savor attracting attention and being in the center of crowds and action and have no reservations about sharing every detail of my life with people (privacy, personal space, what are those? XD) - which I took to imply extroversion...but then again, I was and to an extent still am known for a certain level of social awkwardness, even shyness in starting conversations as well. So perhaps I was wrong there?

A

A window to the soul

But, herein lies the dilemma: I'm also extremely sensitive, sentimental, and affectionate, my feelings are easily hurt, and I tend to be very clingy with people I care about (or have a crush on, hehe), not let go easily, and have a need to feel liked. My impression was that that's strictly ENFP territory. I also detest and tend to avoid arguments, another distinctly ENFP trait; as much as I relish intellectual discussions, I don't enjoy verbal sparring and correcting people; I just worry too much about hurting feelings, something ENTPs reputedly wouldn't devote quite as much thought to. But then again, as deeply as I care about people, when I try to help them my advice and support is invariably fact and logic-based, rarely citing feelings...and some HAVE seen that as a bit cold. The fact that ENTPs have extraverted feelings and that ENFPs are apparently known for exhibiting a more 'professorial' business side would further seem to complicate matters.
Well, whaddaya think? If all else fails, can you perhaps wager a guess from the nature of my lovely prose?? ;D Thanks everyone! :)

You write like you're under the influence of NF. I'm struggling to imagine a male ENTP admitting the following...

"my feelings are easily hurt, and I tend to be very clingy"

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dominate me? Why, my girlfriend takes care of that...(hehe, sorry, dirty mind XD)

AHEM - oh contrare, I tried the lovely EXFJs on for size and they sound wonderful! I must say I was quite flattered that you think I come across as someone who would be that good with people - I wish, haha! But, like that lovely dress shirt that's available in EVERY darn size except your own...as attractive as it looks, I'm just not sure it would quite fit. I genuinely care about others, but...I've never been very skilled at sensing what other people are feeling, remembering their names, etc.

The main issue would be with the N and J aspects of the equation. Concerning the former I'm a theoretician first and always: I work in the sciences, and for everything I see my first thought is invariably in the form of 'what COULD this be?'...to the extent that I have almost no sense of what's ACTUALLY going on in the herenow before my eyes! In other words, I'm the sort of fellow who will be so preoccupied on how shoelaces could be implemented to solve the world's energy crisis, that I'd walk to work forgetting to tie them XD Correct me if I'm wrong or if the implications of cognitive functions can render my assumptions oversimplistic, but that seems like intuition over sensing through-and-through to me!

Similar with the fourth letter in our four-letter words: it's a universally known (and much-maligned!) truism among my comrades that naturally live by improvisation, making up what I do with every turn live brings my way to the extent that I couldn't plan ahead if my life depended on it; routines are anathema XD I not only enjoy novelty: I REQUIRE it, like the air to wings or the water to fins (get it? They can get by without it, but they'd be useless!) - to the extent that if three days pass and something new hasn't happened I will literally go out of my way to change things around so that it will! I'd say that fairly solidly drops me in the perceiving over judging zone, am I right?

But indeed, the riddle to my inner psyche does seem to have reached a conundrum in that 'festering ooze of extraverted feeling' you cite! Hmm...if that seems unlikely to be quite so strong even as a developed tertiary in an ENTP, and you agree based on what I've said that the intuitive and perceiving functions are pretty firmly in place there...is it possible I'm an introvert who seems like an extrovert? Do some of the introverted analogs sport a more developed Fe? I do derive my energy from the experiences around me and dislike being alone, and do savor attracting attention and being in the center of crowds and action and have no reservations about sharing every detail of my life with people (privacy, personal space, what are those? XD) - which I took to imply extroversion...but then again, I was and to an extent still am known for a certain level of social awkwardness, even shyness in starting conversations as well. So perhaps I was wrong there?

Oh. My. Lawd.

ENFP.

*bangs mallet*

and yes, there are definitely outgoing introverts. But you've been caught red-handed - Ne'ing all over the place. CASE CLOSED, let's get some pizza!

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
My PROFOUNDEST apologies for the very protracted delay in responding!! I was off getting involved in and dropping assorted new interests...y'know, NP stuff ;D

PIZZAAAAAAA!!! I'm not too late am I? I want a slice of that personality-pie XD

When I read descriptions of ENFPs the personality qualms certainly sound remarkably on-target for me: the enthusiasm that wears people out, the habit of giving out unsolicited advice on peoples' personal matters, publicizing their deepest personal feelings rather than keeping them in, etc...

HOWEVER, on another forum (I always crosspost questions in multiple places to get as many assorted opinions as possible - that, and I love the multitasking XD), the allegory was made that Ti/Fe types (like ENTPs) have a characteristic habit of going from person to person in social settings to take in as much information as possible, then moving on almost like taking water from wells until they run dry. That's actually a startlingly apt description of my methodology in interaction. Fi/Te's like ENFPs, meanwhile, supposedly do the opposite, going from person to person as a source of EMOTIONAL support and self-affirmation to nurture their Fi.

On reading into the matter, it seems that many attest to a dichotomy existing between two subtypes for each of the MBTI personalities, depending on whether the extraverted or intraverted functions tend to dominate. For example, ENTPs are alleged to comprise 'logical' and 'intuitive' subtypes - the former displaying a predominance of the intraverted thinking and sensing, which makes them seek to act and be seen as serious individuals, place more attention on facts with less interest in feelings involved, etc.; while the latter are supposedly the more 'dreamy, sentimental' Ne- and Fe-dominated ENTPs - outgoing nerd-poets, if you will XD And these are supposedly the ones who relish intellectual discussions - but to whom conflicts are anathema; who are known for being less grounded and practical, sillier and more whimsical in their ideas...and smiling at people even when they haven't a reason to. That sounds like me to the letter - even the alleged clumsy gait and shy-seeming presence!

If the subtypes bit rings true, could it be that Ne-subtype ENTPs ACT for all external purposes rather more like ENFPs, and are only known to be ENTP based on the Fe/Ti trade-off?

...Well I feel so bad talking on and on about me, me, me here! Does identification with only a select subtype of your personality seem to ring true for anyone else watching this thread?? :)

mollyowens

MBTI Type
ENTP
HOWEVER, on another forum (I always crosspost questions in multiple places to get as many assorted opinions as possible - that, and I love the multitasking XD), the allegory was made that Ti/Fe types (like ENTPs) have a characteristic habit of going from person to person in social settings to take in as much information as possible, then moving on almost like taking water from wells until they run dry. That's actually a startlingly apt description of my methodology in interaction. Fi/Te's like ENFPs, meanwhile, supposedly do the opposite, going from person to person as a source of EMOTIONAL support and self-affirmation to nurture their Fi.

On reading into the matter, it seems that many attest to a dichotomy existing between two subtypes for each of the MBTI personalities, depending on whether the extraverted or intraverted functions tend to dominate. For example, ENTPs are alleged to comprise 'logical' and 'intuitive' subtypes - the former displaying a predominance of the intraverted thinking and sensing, which makes them seek to act and be seen as serious individuals, place more attention on facts with less interest in feelings involved, etc.; while the latter are supposedly the more 'dreamy, sentimental' Ne- and Fe-dominated ENTPs - outgoing nerd-poets, if you will XD And these are supposedly the ones who relish intellectual discussions - but to whom conflicts are anathema; who are known for being less grounded and practical, sillier and more whimsical in their ideas...and smiling at people even when they haven't a reason to. That sounds like me to the letter - even the alleged clumsy gait and shy-seeming presence!

I've never heard of this subtype theory! Where did you find the info?

I can say that as a confirmed ENTP I identify with a lot of what you say. I do socialize to gather information and be stimulated, not really to connect emotionally. However I can also be very sensitive and I am extremely aware of the impression I make on people. To me, though, this is more a way to cement my place in a social group, rather than to gain some kind of fundamental affirmation.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Hi everyone! Sorreeeeee for the delay - I've been off being an easily-distracted workaholic, haha!

Okay, so after having tried the ENTP mantle on for size of late, I'm beginning to think your original ENFP designation may have been more spot-on-target after all! See, from perusing (don't you love that word, perusing? XD) the literature on the topic, it seems that even ENTP's with the most developed tertiary functions just don't seem to be known for gushy sentiment! Whereas people actually tell me that I lavish feeling and affection to the point of almost OOZING sentimentality!

Furthermore, the other things I hear people tell me about myself: so much enthusiasm it drives them up the wall; an almost dreamy, idealistic optimism and trust in people being good at heart verging on naivete; a preoccupation with avoiding (and difficulty moving past) hurt feelings, with a need to feel liked; finding debates anathema, and avoiding strongly worded exchanges even when I have strong beliefs about something, favoring gentle diplomacy instead; and a habit of putting my nose in people's business just a liiiiiitle too much, with the intention of helping out based on what I've read of them. this all seems hardly the stuff of ENTPs, who seem to invariably have a knack for remaining detached from and moving past such mushy stuff! I could NEVER let a loved one go at the drop of a hat, for example; by contrast I have trouble letting go of emotional attachments.

...Also, it's been implied I may be a TAD on the long-winded side - not that anyone HERE would think that of course! Wheras ENTPs are supposedly known for being more to the point. Why am I not to the point? After asking myself that, I came to the conclusion: it's because short directness seems too cold and unfeeling to me. And I DO love lavishing compliments too :) When

The main reason I thought I could hardly be an ENFP was because I make decisions based on logic rather than gut feelings about things, and because I DO tend to talk to people in the context of fascination with what I can learn about them - becoming bored if they don't stimulate me intellectually. But, to an ENFP their decisions probably seem grounded in logic too - because they're made in the context of their deeply-help values, i.e. extraverted intuition. And that logic IS always based on what I feel elicits the most positive outcome for people in the end as well. The ENFP's perceiving over judging might also account for boredom when interaction no longer seems to provide enough novelty. But at the same time, in my interactions I've realized that I AM constantly considering how I'm perceived as well, which would be seeking gratification of my intraverted feeling through external interactions in a sense.

What really seems to have hit the nail on the head for me though, is the fact that while few ENTPs would seem to match the above criteria which I express, I've read that ENFPs ARE known for having what's called a 'silly switch' - enabling them to transition between seemingly dual personalities of serious and professional on the one hand, zany and goofballish on the other. It was intriguing to read this description for this personality type alone, as people have actually used the same 'silly switch' metaphor to describe my own dispositon!

It almost seems as though ENFPs can appear to act like ENTPs at times, while the reverse is less true. Is that anyone else's impression?

Has anyone known of any other ENFPs in the sciences? They seem to be thought of as more the artistic or humanities types...

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi everyone! Sorreeeeee for the delay - I've been off being an easily-distracted workaholic, haha!

Okay, so after having tried the ENTP mantle on for size of late, I'm beginning to think your original ENFP designation may have been more spot-on-target after all! See, from perusing (don't you love that word, perusing? XD) the literature on the topic, it seems that even ENTP's with the most developed tertiary functions just don't seem to be known for gushy sentiment! Whereas people actually tell me that I lavish feeling and affection to the point of almost OOZING sentimentality!

Furthermore, the other things I hear people tell me about myself: so much enthusiasm it drives them up the wall; an almost dreamy, idealistic optimism and trust in people being good at heart verging on naivete; a preoccupation with avoiding (and difficulty moving past) hurt feelings, with a need to feel liked; finding debates anathema, and avoiding strongly worded exchanges even when I have strong beliefs about something, favoring gentle diplomacy instead; and a habit of putting my nose in people's business just a liiiiiitle too much, with the intention of helping out based on what I've read of them. this all seems hardly the stuff of ENTPs, who seem to invariably have a knack for remaining detached from and moving past such mushy stuff! I could NEVER let a loved one go at the drop of a hat, for example; by contrast I have trouble letting go of emotional attachments.

...Also, it's been implied I may be a TAD on the long-winded side - not that anyone HERE would think that of course! Wheras ENTPs are supposedly known for being more to the point. Why am I not to the point? After asking myself that, I came to the conclusion: it's because short directness seems too cold and unfeeling to me. And I DO love lavishing compliments too :) When

The main reason I thought I could hardly be an ENFP was because I make decisions based on logic rather than gut feelings about things, and because I DO tend to talk to people in the context of fascination with what I can learn about them - becoming bored if they don't stimulate me intellectually. But, to an ENFP their decisions probably seem grounded in logic too - because they're made in the context of their deeply-help values, i.e. extraverted intuition. And that logic IS always based on what I feel elicits the most positive outcome for people in the end as well. The ENFP's perceiving over judging might also account for boredom when interaction no longer seems to provide enough novelty. But at the same time, in my interactions I've realized that I AM constantly considering how I'm perceived as well, which would be seeking gratification of my intraverted feeling through external interactions in a sense.

What really seems to have hit the nail on the head for me though, is the fact that while few ENTPs would seem to match the above criteria which I express, I've read that ENFPs ARE known for having what's called a 'silly switch' - enabling them to transition between seemingly dual personalities of serious and professional on the one hand, zany and goofballish on the other. It was intriguing to read this description for this personality type alone, as people have actually used the same 'silly switch' metaphor to describe my own dispositon!

It almost seems as though ENFPs can appear to act like ENTPs at times, while the reverse is less true. Is that anyone else's impression?

Has anyone known of any other ENFPs in the sciences? They seem to be thought of as more the artistic or humanities types...

I'll respond after the Excedrin kicks in.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
HAAA! Try vicodin, it's more enjoyable. Or how about psylocibin? XD

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
*Rolls over laughing* Whaaaaaat, can't ENTPs love wolves too?

...Not that ANYONE couldn't love rabbits of course ;D (It's interesting btw, I have a very good friend who I'm CONVINCED is an INFP, and she's also very much a fan of the long-eared critters!)

A

Anew Leaf

*Rolls over laughing* Whaaaaaat, can't ENTPs love wolves too?

...Not that ANYONE couldn't love rabbits of course ;D (It's interesting btw, I have a very good friend who I'm CONVINCED is an INFP, and she's also very much a fan of the long-eared critters!)
:D ENTP enthusiasm is different than ENFP enthusiasm. I read yours as ENFP.

ENTP enthusiasm usually looks like a bat shit crazy man jumping out of a plane without a parachute... Because... Why wouldnt it work?

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
...Well, WHY wouldn't it work? It's only air between the plane and the ground, air never hurt anybody! Besides, riding gravitational anomalies can be great fun... (That reminds me of an episode of house in which the famously-ENTP eponymous character jumps out of a hotel window into a swimming pool XD)

So, what's an ENFP's enthusiasm like? :)