• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introverts and change

gromit

likes this
I don't know that I necessarily seek out change for the sake of change, maybe if things are suuuuper borrrrring, but what I do find I enjoy is when things around me change, I kind of love to react to it, that challenge of how to respond, how to make things work given the new conditions/constraints.

Is this an introvert thing?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's ISFP specifically more than I in general

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ironically, being extremely flexible leaves one in a stale unchanging environment.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
LULZ. My ESFJ ex is much more resistent to change than I am, and I'm the one closer to being an introvert.

Maybe this is an Se/Ne thing?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
that's ISFP specifically more than I in general

Yeah probably. They say INFPs can be more resistent to change than ENFPs because of tertiary Si.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
I would think this has a lot more to do with P/J than anything else.

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
There are 2 ways in which one can be resistant to change - active or passive. The passive type generally accepts the status quo. Si dom/aux actively (and aggressively) preserves traditional patterns.

ENxP/INxP would be examples of passive resistance. The introverted types might be might more stubborn in holding onto familiar people, places, and things. Suspect that tertiary Si would manifest as a sentimental attachment to the past (especially childhood memories).

ESxJ/ISxJ - these people do not change. They do not change clothing style. They do not change hairstyle. They do not change jobs. They do not change political affiliation. I am not saying that they are all polyester wearing, Republicans but they cling to the dominant traditions in which they were raised. The introverted Si-dominants will be more aggressive in preserving historically mapped symbols.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESxJ/ISxJ - these people do not change. They do not change clothing style. They do not change hairstyle. They do not change jobs. They do not change political affiliation.

Lol, my I have to get to know my ESFJ sister all over again every week, and she's been quite the jobhopper as well. Wrong on all points when it comes to her. :p

As for tertiary Si in INTP's, I do have a soft spot for memories. But I have never held on to them without good reason and if change was required because I have a different persective now, there is nothing that makes me want to hold on to those memories. I would not let memories irrationaly stand in the way of future change, ever.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you sure your sister is ESFJ? Sounds like ESFP.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you sure your sister is ESFJ? Sounds like ESFP.

Yeah, she works two jobs and dresses peoples hair on the side in the evenings, always busy for someone else and taking care of people, has like 50 close friends, is extremely bossy and dominant but not in a bad way and gets things done. She is extremely ESFJ. :p

The main reason she keeps jobhopping is that she just doesn't seem to have found a job she really loves, that and she has an issue with bad management lol.

Also, I am quite proud of her.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Bossy and dominant =/= ESFJ

Anyway, she could be in an Fe/Ne loop which would explain her attraction to change.

My ESFJ ex doesn't even like to sleep at other people's houses. He's lived in the same place for most of his adult life (I mean literally the same house) and he's in his mid-thirties.

Si types are typically VERY resistent to change, especially sudden or random change, because it is the nature of Si to carefully examine information before bringing it into their linear world view, so they know where to fit it in properly.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Change is good when I get to decide on the change. When it is decided for me, it is like getting hit in the head with a shovel.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Change is good when I get to decide on the change. When it is decided for me, it is like getting hit in the head with a shovel.

LOL. I hear you. I like it when change is voluntary, or left up to me to decide on it. I don't like being forced into a type of change that might have dire consequences for me in the future. I need to know what benefits the change will have. If the change is for the better, then I accept it. If it makes things worse, then I don't accept it.

gromit

likes this

LOL. I hear you. I like it when change is voluntary, or left up to me to decide on it. I don't like being forced into a type of change that might have dire consequences for me in the future. I need to know what benefits the change will have. If the change is for the better, then I accept it. If it makes things worse, then I don't accept it.

Are you guys talking about other people forcing you to change or just things happening, life happening, and causing things to change?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm talking about people forcing change... not sure if Lilyflower is talking about the same thing.

For instance, some salesman comes up to you and tells you that there's a new type of computer coming out that you should buy. He claims that there's all these bells and whistles on it that are great and innovative, but the problem is, the specs on the thing will not support other tech devices you have back at home (does not support your iPod, music software, etc.) I wouldn't want to be forced to change all the devices I own and waste money on something that doesn't work for me. I'd rather have a computer that I can customize for my own needs, rather than something gimmicky that you have to throw away within a week or two. LOL

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like change & seek it out. The worst thing is feeling static. I become restless & bored. Routine gets stale so fast.

The only aspects of change I struggle with is
1) New people, because I am shy. I only like to meet new people in small settings where people I am close to & familiar with are present also. I fear being judged because I don't know how to act & get easily confused when overstimulated.
2) New physical environments which require alertness. I love a new environment, a new atmosphere to absorb, but driving somewhere new or navigating a huge office for a job interview is stressful. Somehow, I never see signs... I suspect this is crappy Se? :D

Basically, I like change when there is no expectation to impress others or possibility of being judged in a way that will affect my life.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know that I necessarily seek out change for the sake of change, maybe if things are suuuuper borrrrring, but what I do find I enjoy is when things around me change, I kind of love to react to it, that challenge of how to respond, how to make things work given the new conditions/constraints.

Is this an introvert thing?

I'm like that. Maybe it really is an isfp thing, does say that in a lot of descriptions.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My oldest is an ISFP. He's always wanted to "go". He's not so much interested in new things as he is in new places. He just embraces that kind of thing. I can very much see him just "wandering" just for the experience of it.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Are you guys talking about other people forcing you to change or just things happening, life happening, and causing things to change?

I was talking about life happening, changes I can't avoid. People rarely force me to change anything about myself, but my life has definitely had its share of sudden change. It's almost always stuff I can't control and didn't cause. I just hate stuff like that.