• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is mbti an "NTP thing"?

Barlwooh

I was just wondering? Because basically the "whole idea" of mbti is a vague broad explanation of human behaviour with these things called functions. Like? Terms so broad that they really encompass "everything" people do, in twisted way. And? Vague broad explanations are an NTP specialty. When you see for example an ENFJ engaging in small talk, you can just say "thats Fe", which really doesnt explain anything, but you still sort know what Fe "is capable of", and you kind of get what the situation is about mbti-wise. A really really broad explanation for behaviour, that still sort of does its job? At least i think so? Mbti tells so much but at the same time nothing, which i find exciting.

So. In my mind, mbti is just pure Ti and Ne. You have a complete system with functions and letters and all that (Ti likes systems) and then an absolutely horrible mess of human interaction and motives and crap (Ne likes options) to fit the theory in. Ti-Ne ideas are generally broad descriptions of things that explain ALOT of stuff in a sort of vague way. You have to explain something in a dumb way to encompass all the outcomes. NTP:s dont mind chaos, and human interaction is a lovely example of chaos that doesnt make sense, and if you have a system like mbti, thats sorting crap out with Ti from a Ne mess, pure candy for NTP brain.

In my experience, NTJ:s generally dont like mbti, well they never seem to give it that much credit even if they did. Their minds dont work in the Ti way of "something happens after another thing". The way i use it is like? Occasionally i explain something with it and on other times you cant explain anything with it, which to me is completely okay. My trust in the system varies depending on the situation, but i still trust it, but the NTJ's i know just dont trust it the same way, cos the theory has "holes". To me, if a description is broad enough to cover all sorts of crap, it "covers the holes", and that doesnt really work for boring NTJ:s with no Ne nor ability to trust vague ideas with little evidence.

AND Then? Ive seen alot of INFP threads where they say they dont trust in the theory anymore? INFP's have no Ti, so maybe thats the reason? Then again INFJ's have Ti as a tertiary function? And to me it seems that they sort of "accept" the theory with a lot more ease than INFP's.

So i think mbti is really a Ti-Ne theory. I at least think it works in a way Ti and Ne work when applied to real world.

Not sure if any of that made sense, i might be completely off too.

Your thoughts please.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say it's written in a Ti-way...translated using Ti really, but the content itself isn't Ti.

Kinda like Ti is used to scientifically examine and describe natural phenomena, but the actual phenomena is far from just being Ti. In fact, I often find the scientific research of said phenomena severely lacking in info as it focuses only on one part of it (my Fi for ya). It's kinda like taking a bad photocopy of it. Granted, you get some of the information and you can sorta see how it works, but it's missing a loooot of what made the phenomena complete and so complex in the first place.

The same is true for MBTI, which is why it shouldn't be used as the Holy Bible of human interaction. There's so much more to it...MBTI just provides kinda like a reference map with some guidelines for you to not get too lost and have some kind of framework to add your own research to.

And for that reason, I do adore scientific research, MBTI or Ti. It give us a beginning (kinda like putting the frame of a puzzle together first by sifting out all the border pieces first, so the rest of the puzzle can be more easily fall into place and make sense.)

R

Riva

Ah the OP makes sense when it comes to my understanding of MBTI. For me MBTI is more enjoyable since it breaks a personality down as much as possible. Ti likes to break things down. But if one looks at it, Enneagram makes more sense than MBTI, but enneagrams doesn't break things down. So it's less enjoyable for me.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If MBTI is an NTP thing, then what is the Enneagram? Fi? lol. Gotta say, I like the enneagram better, but MBTI has a certain swagger that's pretty cool.

It doesn't seem like Te mixes well with MBTI, but then again, Te doesn't mix well with many things.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Err..yeah. As is Yoga for that matter :D (again, it's translated/related throuhg Fi)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite an interesting theory you have there. Let me put a stop to this nonsense though!

Obviously, MBTI is for every type!

Seriously, shhh, you're not allowed to divulge this information to the public. The plan is not yet in place!

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Big 5 is more useful. Theory of Positive Disintigration is more accurate. MBTI is popular because it's popular.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NTP will focus more on the structure of MBTI (functions, etc). That's why it might seem to be more their "domain".
NTJ will focus more on either critiquing it or putting it to use.
For NF's of both stripes, it seems to be more about using it for self-growth.
For S's, it seems more of a utility they might discuss or use for self-understanding, but otherwise not focus on the theory of it as much.

Barlwooh

Ah the OP makes sense when it comes to my understanding of MBTI. For me MBTI is more enjoyable since it breaks a personality down as much as possible. Ti likes to break things down. But if one looks at it, Enneagram makes more sense than MBTI, but enneagrams doesn't break things down. So it's less enjoyable for me.

Oh i really enjoy that breaking personality down thing. That might too be the reason for the fact that i never liked enneagram. Or maybe im still bitter for being a 9 instead of a 5, not sure why that even bothered me.

And for some reason, enneagram gives me Ni vibes. I have nothing to back that up with then, just a feeling. To me it just seems like a Ni idea. But then? If id make a poll? Wonder if Ni users would prefer enneagram over mbti, and Ti users vice versa? Propably no difference, the idea seems weird, think ill go back to lurking again.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that MBTI from that perspective is very Ti, but not everyone who loves the MBTI loves it for that reason. My reasoning is more Te/Ne: it puts people into pattern-related categories (which my Ne loves), and gives me enough information to actively change the way I act towards certain people (Te) and towards my inner self (Fi).
It doesn't seem like Te mixes well with MBTI, but then again, Te doesn't mix well with many things.
:dont: It doesn't mix well with your Ti-bias, that's for sure.

I'm just sayin'.

Silveresque

I think the MBTI goes well with Ti, especially since Ti likes to have structures and systems. I feel the need to give everything a name and a place in some kind of structure in order to understand it better, and I think that explains my fascination with the MBTI. On the other hand, Fi seems to be involved as well, at least for me. I want to understand this structure in order to better understand myself and my place in it.

Anyways, my hypothesis is that the MBTI is a Ti structure, maybe with a little Ne mixed in, and Fi seems to be drawn to it.