• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP is like INTP?

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
Yeah, INTJ's and ISTJ's look alike really superficially, but it's when types have the same dominant function that it's hard to tell, especially when Se and Ne look a lot alike.

How is that possible if you live in SE Michigan? Detroit (and the metropolitan area) has shit for public transportation.

I travel a lot, including visiting my cousin who lived in Manhattan, having been to Paris, visiting Chicago multiple times, etc. In Michigan, Ann Arbor and Royal Oak's infrastructure are spaced closely together enough for traveling by foot to be feasible. My point was more that I didn't like being isolated in a car, soooo...

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I always test as INTP, but seriously wanted to be a mechanic, fighter pilot (or SR-71 pilot actually :devil:), and special forces officer/instructor at various times in my life--not just a passing interest either. I have a garage full of tools, do 98% of my own vehicle repairs and maintenance, and have been within 30 feet of many different fighter jets, all while in-flight. When that starts to get boring, I switch over to things like psychology, computer applications design, science, astronomy, and astrophysics.

MBTI just measures general preferences. As a model, it's often taught as more concrete than it is just for the sake of understanding and effective communication of the theories. People tend to hold onto those black and white definitions too tenaciously.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION], you ISTP, you. :p

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We're both enneagram SP last, which has a lot to do with not coming off as a "typical" introvert, if that makes any sense; I like parties, pep rallies, talking to strangers when traveling, major thrill rides, pushing reactions out of people, etc. I'm a performer as well, and it boggles some people how I could type myself an introvert. It makes perfect sense to me, though.

The guy I was talking about earlier is SO last and he considers himself VERY hedonistic, but really... uh, apathetic and low-energy. Sooooo I just wanted to add the part about the stacking.

I actually had a hard time to identify me as an ISTP because of all these ISTPs who are Self-pres first and So last, like Clint Eastwood for example, eer, not me at all. Sx/So ISTP like Paris Hilton, Megan Fox, Katharine Hepburn, Iggy Pop or GG Allin fits better though.:biggrin:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.
When I used to do the shopping every payday, at this huge supermarket, I liked the place so much; I drew a map of it, and remembering the general location of everything; I would copy the list my wife wrote onto the map (in pencil, to erase and reuse), and then zigzag my way from one end to the other picking up everything.
I also think ISTP's might more easily prefer public transport over self transport while INTP's would prefer self transport over public transport. Because INTP's would rather be in control of their direction themselves instead of their destination, whilest an ISTP is less concerned about the control of their direction but more concerned about reaching their destination.
I'm always used public transit, but do prefer controlling my direction. when others are driving, I would often direct them, and when taking interstate buses, would go a particular way depending on what I want to see.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Clearly chalk and cheese... oh wait, not at all. Pretty damn similar. Amusingly ISTPs frequently mistype INTJ but then again so do INTPs.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=88]ptgatsby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] are great examples of these ISTPs.

I think kendoiwan is a good example as well, but he doesn't really post any more.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think INTps get really excited with theory and such, while an ISTP would only get excited if that theory was put to practical use. I'm pretty sure I know a couple INTP's and they are much different than me, they hardly live in the moment and they are constantly conceptualizing things as oppose to looking things at face value. Another thing I notice about myself is I'm a performance junky I like to get competitive with just about anything whether it's sports or video games. I'm pretty sure INTPs are less concerned with anything Se related.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty sure INTPs are less concerned with anything Se related.

I don't think competativeness is Se. Even INTP's enjoy excelling in what they do. I've played soccer for quite some years and was very competative doing that, but there's a funny story of me when I was a 5 year old judoka, I was participating in some kind of event with prices and all, can't remember what kind of even it was, but anyways, there was this one weaker kid and he had already lost two matches, and when he was against me the third match I let him win because I felt sorry for him. What's up with that!? I would never do something like that now though.

If I'm in it, I'm in it to win it. And a big stress on the if part.:p

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you know the INTP and ISTP type well enough, you won't think of them as being that similar. No, I'm not talking about their descriptions, I'm talking theoretical definitions. Ne is very distant from Ni. Communicative difference between the two is so obvious. Ni is referential whereas Ne is innovative.

In a pure temperament(nature) manner, ENTP is the closest to INTP.

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
My younger sister is an ISTP.

She assumes me to be a nerd, whereas I can't quite think of something to classify her as. ISTPs are different but similar... I think she would be more of the 'cool girl' type, where I would be the 'rebellious girl' one. I noticed that as far as music goes, I'm drawn to playing death metal guitar (which I've done all night) and she's drawn to singing country music.

That acts as a type of contrast in itself.

INTP enjoys the technicality of death metal and the instrumental proficiency it takes to play it; ISTP enjoys the simplicity of country music and how easy it is to just jump right in and sing it.

Of course that's not to suggest ISTPs are simple (that would be a bad generalization), but merely to suggest that the immediacy of country's lyrics and vocals resonates well with her doit-doit-doit nature (which can be generalized as being common to ISTPs). The contrast being that I didn't care to dream and dream and dream until I can do.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
well I meant competitive in an Se sort of way like physical sports and such. Saying that though I really don't think many ISTPs are all that competitive they are just more in tune with the world physically with other things.

dimane

I think the differences is just the temperaments
ISTPs want to make an impact so they use ti to underrstand how to do stuff better and make a bigger impact while INTPs use ti to understand universal laws better so they can get one answer that will give them everything they want. science= magic knowledge is power. no literal situation answer the ISTP vs INTP because both could do the same thing for different reasons. ex playing sports one does it to have fun and impress the other does it to explore their physical limitations and how they could go beyond that

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP - This is the reality.
INTP - What is the reality?

ISTP - I make it work.
INTP - How does it work?

ISTP - This is the actuality.
INTP - What are the possibilities?

ISTP - I am very smart.
INTP - How ignorant am I?

ISTP - I solved the puzzle.
INTP - Can I create puzzles?

ISTP - I completed the game.
INTP - Can I program games?

zelo1954

ISFJophile
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
ISTP I am sure
INTP Jeez have I forgotten something?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think the differences is just the temperaments
ISTPs want to make an impact so they use ti to underrstand how to do stuff better and make a bigger impact while INTPs use ti to understand universal laws better so they can get one answer that will give them everything they want. science= magic knowledge is power. no literal situation answer the ISTP vs INTP because both could do the same thing for different reasons. ex playing sports one does it to have fun and impress the other does it to explore their physical limitations and how they could go beyond that

ah, so true. so stupidly, stupidly true.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you know the INTP and ISTP type well enough, you won't think of them as being that similar. No, I'm not talking about their descriptions, I'm talking theoretical definitions. Ne is very distant from Ni. Communicative difference between the two is so obvious. Ni is referential whereas Ne is innovative.

In a pure temperament(nature) manner, ENTP is the closest to INTP.

I don't think I agree. ENTPs seem much more aggressive/confrontational than INTPs. They and ENFPs come on very strong.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think I agree. ENTPs seem much more aggressive/confrontational than INTPs. They and ENFPs come on very strong.

yeah, it depends on the individuals: The INTP and the ISTP/ENTP you're comparing with. I personally relate more to the ENTPs(or at least the ones I know), and I have INTP friends who are more ISTP. I've also recently met different sorts of ISTPs.

Then again, I explicitly stated "theoretical definition" and "pure temperament manner." Function wise, Ne Ti is closer to Ti Ne than Ti Se. E/I arrangement is the most flexible of JCF as oppose to having different functions entirely, which can be seen in the frequent mentions of "function loops" and the vagueness of "introversion."

KDude

I identify with ENTPs a little more, because they're kind of "in" the world, but subversive. Or you could say they're on a similar spectrum of E and I (still more "E" than me though). INTPs are less in. ESTPs are totally in.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I was 8 years old my parents said I was INTP, but when I was 10 they changed their call to ISTP, and now I am 18 and they once again think INTP. The way to tell the difference is the ideas of the ISTP actually work in the real world and the ideas of the INTP are purely to understand the world and all the possible states it could transform and evolve into, though both may mold the material world by the mastery of mind over matter, ISTPs making things tick and INTPs magically manifesting dreams wrought into realization by focused willpower. ISTPs and INTPs alike are both deep thinkers but ISTPs are more realistic and INTPs more creative.