• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which FP?

Which do you think I am?

• ENFP

Votes: 23 46.9%
  • INFP

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • ESFP

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • ISFP

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Good info. Interesting. I didn't know these types were so commonly confused.

I was skeptical at first, but I'm actually beginning to lean ESFP (especially with Marm's explanation that it was primarily the 'introverted extroverts' thing that made her think N, not anything about Ne in particular).

Yeah I very much relate to the freedom-loving/pragmatic thing...not so much the thing with language necessary. Same problem with Keirsey. I was like "wait...it gives me self-esteem to prove my audacity/boldness...I do not avoid confrontation...but wouldn't I say I'm enthusiastic rather than excited?"

I think that ESFP description is very good, though, and here's what I relate to out of it:

I love the simple things in life, and I’m also interested in people and a lot of different things. I look at life’s possibilities: the excitement of what might come out of a situation and what I might learn about a person and how I can help.

Freedom is the most important thing. If I don’t have freedom, then what do I have?

I love talking to people. Making and having friends is gratifying, and I value my friendships. People see me as someone they can tell something to and not just as boring or average. Somehow I charm people, and I am very genuine in my interest. I observe the game of life, and a lot of times it’s about being open and observant on my part. Whenever I find things getting heavy, I say something light to make everyone laugh again. I am offended when things are impersonal and harsh. Some people are so serious and many people feel guilty about having fun. Fun is important because I can get more work done in a few hours than most people do in a whole day. My biggest contribution is in just listening to what people are trying to do, probing and pushing and mirroring back to them what I hear they’re saying.

I love not having to practice and still being good at something. I don’t like having to do a lot of planning. I want to accomplish something and move on to the next thing. I am really good at pulling things off, especially if there is a last-minute crisis. It’s just a matter of trying to keep things together, doing what you have to do in the moment.

When the moment that I am living in becomes difficult, then I close up physically. I just move through life and react as things come up. I can get worried about the future and go down this long road of awful possibilities or thinking about the past, especially if others will be affected.

I am an individual. I can’t imagine following others, and it’s a waste of time if someone’s not going to do their best. I want freedom for being able to do what I want to do when I want to do it. Don’t tell me I can’t do something. Rules and regulations infuriate me. Doing something by the book isn’t always logical or reasonable. What makes a difference is if you do a good job or not. Do a good job and I respect you. I want to do my best.

So I relate to about 75-80% of the ESFP description, but the ENFP description makes sense too...until it starts talking about seeing through people into their soul and all that...see there is always this focus on "developing people" with NFs...and it makes me think of my ENFJ sister, BIG TIME. I want to help people, yes. I give people advice, and I will teach them things...sometimes I confront people with the motive of teaching them something.

But if I were to say "what is my life's purpose? what work would make me the happiest?" it would not be developing people. I decided against teaching for that reason, and I definitely have no business being a counselor. I'd rather write or make fancy artistic cakes or cook for people or arrange flowers.

I don't think I'm diplomatic enough...and aren't NFs supposed to be Diplomatic above all else? Yeah...about that...

As I say, though, I avoided ESFP because I don't think I'm all that wildly social, though I was when I was younger, though I do like to talk to people and meet new people and am interested in all different kinds of people. Haha...okay..yeah I just realize what I said. But seriously I do spend a lot of time on my own, and I choose that, it's not imposed upon me.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes I can tell you why I changed my mind. Because I tend to always refer to experiences I have had and people I know instead of speaking in abstracts. Although I like theory, I tend to illustrate theoretical concepts in a way that applies directly to people. In fact, when I was a teenager I realized I hated any subject that I couldn't direct relately back to life and people. I'm not terribly abstract, I'm just theoretical. I also don't imagine alternative endings when I read books, my favorite type of novels to read are things I can "experience" with good atmosphere, characters, and sensory imagery.

Interesting... I think this, along with what I've picked up from you at other times, makes you seem more of an Se than an Ne type.

I can be VERY talkative, very straight-forward, very experimental, but I need plenty of time to myself and I'm perfectly fine on my own. I'm quite independent and I think I love my freedom above all else. But then apparently the people-crazy ultra-extrovert ESFP is a stereotype, and I could still be an Se dom without fitting that stereotype? I don't know.

It is a stereotype. You do seem to be more of an E, and among the forums I've come across some ESFPs who seem more relaxed and independent like you do.

Inner visualization can actually be Se. I read an article on another personality site that people with Se tend to visualize what they're reading very clearly in their head. It also explains why there's so many SP visual artists.

I've found that a lot of fiction writers are actually Sensors. Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald were both SP fiction writers who are considered literary giants.

:yes: I think there is a mixup with the whole visualization thing and S/N. Like, when I picture things, I don't get details at all. I barely even get a picture. It's very... conceptual. It makes visual art difficult for me because I can't remember the details of how things look at all, and even when something is sitting right in front of me it takes a whole lot of focus to draw the thing how it looks in front of me at that moment. I do not get these kinds of literal visualizations from books either, and the constant describing of exactly how everything looks in a lot of fiction bugs me :tongue:

The easiest functions for me to understand are the judging functions: Fi, Fe, Ti, Te. I can tell those apart so easily in anyone, and describe to you exactly what they are.

As far as the perceiving functions go, I can grasp Si better than the other three. I have a hard time telling Ne and Se apart, and it took me forever to grasp the meaning of Ni. I've seen supposed Ni users running around who can't even explain Ni. :dry:

This is a pretty common thing with not being able to see your dominant function clearly, and not understanding it very well at first, but being able to define your other conscious processes well. That could explain why Ne and Se in your case blur together for you. I suspect this is why I pretty quickly had a grasp on what Ti is about, but looking back at my really old posts discussing Ne, I really sucked at describing it :tongue: I suck a lot less now, through the power of obsession, but it's still sort of in my perceptual blindspot, which I guess leaves both of us in the same confused boat still :laugh:

Ni is probably just generally tricky to explain, and for those who are Ni users I suspect they have some sort of understanding of what it is even if they can't explain it.

I still don't quite get why you seem to understand Si really well :tongue: I wonder if it's really some combination of Se and Ni that you are using...

In another thread last night I posted a little bit about this huge existentialist crisis I had in my early twenties. I was actually about 23 or 24, but my entire perception of the world shifted, and because of the perception shift I suddenly became very anxious and even developed agoraphobia for a while. Of course, I've long adjusted to that now, and I'd never thought of it in these terms, but that traumatic perception shift and my exaggerated reaction to it could easily have been emerging Ni...because up until that point I was quite adventurous and engaged in risky behavior, I'm talking about crashing cars and physically hitting people...and suddenly in the realization that A) there potentially is no god and B) I'm mortal, I totally freaked out...I also had an experience in my mid-twenties (more like 25, 26) where I began to realize that things weren't going to go the way I thought they were "supposed" to go, is the only way I can explain it. It does sound a bit like suddenly realizing the world isn't at all what you thought it was and getting freaked out by it. Fortunately, I've gone through all of that now and am better for it, not just past it, but I think I matured because of it.

The bolded does seem a lot like Ni, at least how I understand it.

I also went through a phase when I was an adolescent of believing I was psychic or having special knowledge, which apparently can be a manifestation of inferior Ni, by ascribing mystical meaning to gut feelings and thinking you see things that other people don't.

This, maybe. But then I also went through a phase in early adolescence where I thought I could be psychic. I read a book about it and then tried to guess cards from a deck and move pencils with my mind, but I got over that pretty fast. And as far back as four years old I remember just sort of knowing that I knew things that others could not... maybe that could be blamed on being N-dominant in general. I guess it depends on what kind of form this phase took and the reasons for it. Also, I have a close friend who is very into studying psychic abilities, but I've recently discovered that he's just about as ENxP as it gets.

Either I am conscious of my Si, or I am an Se type.

I'm guesstimating the latter.... but not quite sure enough on it yet to vote :)

gromit

likes this
I can relate. I feel like I'm a lot stronger on the F and P and more neutral on the first 2 letters. Probably most P of any of the letters actually haha. I have never met you in person though, so I can only go by online and a video or two I've seen that you have posted. :shrug: you do seem more E than I but who knows?

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
But seriously I do spend a lot of time on my own, and I choose that, it's not imposed upon me.

I think that's your Fi in action. My ExFP friend (she tested ENFP, I think she's ESFP) is the same way. She's hyper around people, but really values her alone time, and says if she ever gets married, she'd want separate beds so that she can have some alone time.

I guess one way you can figure out if you're Ne or Se dominant... imagine being dropped into a room full of ENxPs with Ne going at full tilt... would you survive, and for how long?

Also, it's likely you've seen this before, but here it is anyway: http://www.bestfittype.com/esfp_enfp.html D'oh! Offog beat me to it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I guess one way you can figure out if you're Ne or Se dominant... imagine being dropped into a room full of ENxPs with Ne going at full tilt... would you survive, and for how long?

It depends on if there were Disney princess movies involved, and then the question would be how long would they survive?

Ha ha. Just kidding.

I'd leave before I got violent.

That's the issue I take with the NF thing, honestly. I'm like, really? REALLY?

For a time I wondered if it were a class issue, if it was about being a working class NF vs. an NF from an upper-middle class background.

But I don't know, dude. I used to make fun of my friend in high school because she always watched cartoons (like kiddie cartoons, not witty ones geared toward adults), Disney movies, and read the kind of "horror" that is made for teenagers. Even when I was living at home and underage I was kind of about seeing the real world, and the friend I speak of, she and I were from the same town, same socio-economic background. In fact, my family probably had more money than hers.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It depends on if there were Disney princess movies involved, and then the question would be how long would they survive?

:laugh: I bet I could not only last the Disney princess movies, but that I would annoy you about them far more than they would harm me..... so I guess that means that I'd be the one hide from you :tongue:

Nononono..... we can't just drop her in with the ENxPs. We need to get her invovled in a verbal sparring match about the Disney Princess movies, once with a random confirmed ESFP and once with a random confirmed ENFP. And one of these debates will probably flow a lot better than the other...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
:laugh: I bet I could not only last the Disney princess movies, but that I would annoy you about them far more than they would harm me..... so I guess that means that I'd be the one hide from you :tongue:

Nononono..... we can't just drop her in with the ENxPs. We need to get her invovled in a verbal sparring match about the Disney Princess movies, once with a random confirmed ESFP and once with a random confirmed ENFP. And one of these debates will probably flow a lot better than the other...

Hahaha...I do like the original fairy tales, though. But they are much more hardcore, and based in history as well.

Disney is just so watered down and fanciful I couldn't even handle it in my teen years. I baby sat some kids who watched Alladin endlessly and I wanted to take it out back and break it.

I don't like anything like that. I find it boring, and an insult to my intelligence. Then again, I've never been a big fan of either fantasy or sci-fi. I've always been more into mystery, horror, and what is generally referred to as "modern fiction" which is without genre. And of course I read some classic literature. I think the only sci-fi novels I ever really loved were Jeff Noon's Vurt and Pollen which are set in a fictitious futuristic Manchester, England....but then again those also have a gritty, street vibe to them, and they're grounded in classic myths.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is interesting marm! a witnessing of self discovery. i like it...haha
i wish i could help you somehow...let's see...not into disney princess shit or cartoons...but do pretty much feel like i see into peoples souls as fucking egotistical as i realize that sounds...but really like sci fi...hmm....that's all i've got so far...and not that it matters anyway...well shit. :/

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hahaha...I do like the original fairy tales, though. But they are much more hardcore, and based in history as well.

Disney is just so watered down and fanciful I couldn't even handle it in my teen years. I baby sat some kids who watched Alladin endlessly and I wanted to take it out back and break it.

I don't like anything like that. I find it boring, and an insult to my intelligence. Then again, I've never been a big fan of either fantasy or sci-fi. I've always been more into mystery, horror, and what is generally referred to as "modern fiction" which is without genre. And of course I read some classic literature. I think the only sci-fi novels I ever really loved were Jeff Noon's Vurt and Pollen which are set in a fictitious futuristic Manchester, England....but then again those also have a gritty, street vibe to them, and they're grounded in classic myths.

An aside here.. If you ever want to try sci-fi again, I can make some recommendations. It covers a very wide spectrum.. and I haven't found even one actual sci-fi fan that likes the whole gamut. Miyazaki is the new Disney, there's actually danger. It's fun to see kids just a little scared because the story doesn't feel safe.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
So...
Positive reaction to Disney Princesses = ENFP
Negative reaction to Disney Princesses = ESFP
?

Shortest S/N test ever!! :D

Marmie, you come across as ESFP to me due to your pragmatism and the fact that you seem to have the very 'vital' aura that many people with Se have. Unless an ENFP is on the warpath, they come across in a much more fanciful and gentle way, though I suppose most of them could just be very young. Or else you could just be a more gritty and street-smart ENFP. But it seems simplest to conclude that you're ESFP.

And as you've noted, ESFP descriptions tend to be really flimsy and almost insulting to anybody with any depth, so it's no wonder you don't identify with ESFP descriptions. I pegged my friend as ESFP not because she matched the ESFP descriptions so well, but because she didn't seem to use much Ne at all while still clearly being Fi/Te.

However, because you are also Enneagram 6, that means you'll probably always somewhat doubt your type. And hopefully you'll be okay with that.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
An aside here.. If you ever want to try sci-fi again, I can make some recommendations. It covers a very wide spectrum.. and I haven't found even one actual sci-fi fan that likes the whole gamut. Miyazaki is the new Disney, there's actually danger. It's fun to see kids just a little scared because the story doesn't feel safe.

Nope. Sci-Fi, as a general rule, is very off-putting to me. I have tons of other books to read. I could read for the rest of my life probably and not read everything I wanted to read, and never touch science fiction, except to maybe re-read my favorite Jeff Noon novels. My friend tried to get me to read Terry Pratchett, blah blah blah. There's always stuff I want to read. I haven't even read all of Agatha Christie's or P.D. James' mysteries, or all of Gregory Maguire's adult re-tellings of classic fairy tales. I have plenty left to read.

I don't like kids movies at all, generally speaking. The closest thing to children's movies I watch are things like Little Red Riding Hood, which isn't a kids movie. If I watch cartoons I watch stuff like Family Guy or Bugs Bunny (which were originally made for adults).

Starry

So...
Positive reaction to Disney Princesses = ENFP
?

Shortest S/N test ever!! :D

Believes they are a Disney Princess = ENFP

FTFY

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope. Sci-Fi, as a general rule, is very off-putting to me. I have tons of other books to read. I could read for the rest of my life probably and not read everything I wanted to read, and never touch science fiction, except to maybe re-read my favorite Jeff Noon novels. My friend tried to get me to read Terry Pratchett, blah blah blah. There's always stuff I want to read. I haven't even read all of Agatha Christie's or P.D. James' mysteries, or all of Gregory Maguire's adult re-tellings of classic fairy tales. I have plenty left to read.

I don't like kids movies at all, generally speaking. The closest thing to children's movies I watch are things like Little Red Riding Hood, which isn't a kids movie. If I watch cartoons I watch stuff like Family Guy or Bugs Bunny (which were originally made for adults).

Yep, that's the truth. Anyway, I'll just pitch something and then leave you alone. The only reason I'm mentioning it is because, it's one of those things that I read and wondered if Marm would like it, who knows, maybe you'll be stuck somewhere for an extended period and you'll see it. ;) Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. A lot of older sci-fi authors had Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan) as a major influence, this guy was a William Burroughs guy.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Believes they are a Disney Princess = ENFP

FTFY

*lightbulb goes on*

Haha, now I'm wondering if my sister is ENFP... whenever we played as kids, she was always the princessy character, my cousin would be her lady-in-waiting, and I would be the villain or the male role. :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yep, that's the truth. Anyway, I'll just pitch something and then leave you alone. The only reason I'm mentioning it is because, it's one of those things that I read and wondered if Marm would like it, who knows, maybe you'll be stuck somewhere for an extended period and you'll see it. ;) Pattern Recognition, by William Gibson. A lot of older sci-fi authors had Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan) as a major influence, this guy was a William Burroughs guy.

Oh, okay this is a cyber punk novel...Jeff Noon is also considered cyber punk. I can take a look at it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
*lightbulb goes on*

Thanks! Haha, now I'm wondering if my sister is ENFP... whenever we played as kids, she was always the princessy character, my cousin would be her lady-in-waiting, and I would be the villain or the male role. :D

I think the difference from other little girls and NFs may be that they still think they're Disney princesses long past the age where that might be considered sane.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I might like more cyber punk (though not all) since it's not set in far away galaxies, bizarre fantasy worlds, but is either present-based or near future, and has a post-industrial cultural element.

I'm not at all interested in stuff like The Matrix, though. Bores me to tears. I also only watched Blade Runner because a film professor forced me to do so in class, and those are also considered cyberpunk and I'm not a fan.

So ...anyway...yeah...at least look at this one book. I also see here that there's a cyberpunk novelist with a similar style to Raymond Chandler who wrote the mystery classic The Big Sleep. Stuff like that I might be able to get into.

Starry

*lightbulb goes on*

Haha, now I'm wondering if my sister is ENFP... whenever we played as kids, she was always the princessy character, my cousin would be her lady-in-waiting, and I would be the villain or the male role. :D

LOL!!!!!!!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
this is interesting marm! a witnessing of self discovery. i like it...haha
i wish i could help you somehow...let's see...not into disney princess shit or cartoons...but do pretty much feel like i see into peoples souls as fucking egotistical as i realize that sounds...but really like sci fi...hmm....that's all i've got so far...and not that it matters anyway...well shit. :/

I don't know if liking sci-fi has anything to do with S/N I was just telling Qlip that I don't like sci-fi much, and my reasoning is because it tends to be very unrealistic and set in these strange fictional worlds that don't at all resemble earth, or if they do resemble earth, it's something hellish and ugly like post-nuclear-meltdown. I don't like fantasy for the same reason. I look at it and think "this is shit, this is dumb." My friend says to me, "but these fantasies and sci-fi books/movies tell great stories which are very intellectual and often have ethical lessons." And I'm just like "that's nice, I can get that elsewhere."

Maybe I should have realized I was a sensor all along for that reason. I like mysteries because they're about normal people in plausible situations, horror isn't always totally realistic of course, but usually it's something fantastic super-imposed upon real life and regular people, it's still something grounded in the here and now.

The reason I might not be N isn't because I don't like sci-fi, but because of my reasoning for not liking it, and my reasoning for liking some cyber punk is that it more closely resembles earth cities in the present day, and has elements related to punk or "alternative" or hipster culture, which are recent real-life things.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
funny...i was never a princess. i was a strange being from another planet or sometimes a mermaid or a fairy with magical powers haha but i don't remember ever sharing that game with anyone...i remember just being lost in my own lil world of pretend..who wants to be a boring ol princess who lives in some sterile big castle...pshaw