• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference between aspergers & INTJ

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I have a friend who is trying to figure out if her adult son is an INTJ or if he actually has aspergers. The diagnosis of aspergers was not as good when he was growing up as it is now. So how would you tell the difference?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not uncommon to see similarities between INTJ and people with aspergers; I know this personally, as I have aspergers and once though I was INTJ (kinda funny when I look back on it). Mainly those with aspergers are going to posses a certain set of traits that aren't exclusive to any one type; rigid behavior, intense interests in one or few subjects, not making eye contact with people, trouble understadning social gestures, etc. But those are only general traits, I would suggest looking up aspergers on wiki or buying a book that provides a detail ist into the certain behaviors and conditions that people with aspergers have, as well as remembering that INTJ's are simply people whom utilize the cognitive functions of Ni and Te, with some Fi and maybe Se in rare cases. Aside from their analytical nature INTJ's seem like normal people, those with aspergers, often are a little more eccentric.

Or maybe in some rare case, he's an INTJ with aspergers.

T

ThatGirl

Why would someone think an INTJ would appear to have aspergers?

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why would someone think an INTJ would appear to have aspergers?

There's certain similar behaviors that overlap between the two, although I think that it more so applies to INTP's in general.

T

ThatGirl

There's certain similar behaviors that overlap between the two, although I think that it more so applies to INTP's in general.

I actually disagree. Most normal functioning people look the same on the outside. It isn't until you get a closer look, you start to see different preferences in processing an interacting with the world. I think people assume INTs are similar to people with real disabilities only because people try to "show" their type, causing them to take an internal framework, to an external structure.

Point?

If you suspect someone has a mental disability, like aspergers, its probably NOT their personality type.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I actually disagree. Most normal functioning people look the same on the outside. It isn't until you get a closer look, you start to see different preferences in processing an interacting with the world. I think people assume INTs are similar to people with real disabilities only because people try to "show" their type, causing them to take an internal framework, to an external structure.

Point?

If you suspect someone has a mental disability, like aspergers, its probably NOT their personality type.

Good point. :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not uncommon to see similarities between INTJ and people with aspergers; I know this personally, as I have aspergers and once though I was INTJ (kinda funny when I look back on it). Mainly those with aspergers are going to posses a certain set of traits that aren't exclusive to any one type; rigid behavior, intense interests in one or few subjects, not making eye contact with people, trouble understadning social gestures, etc. But those are only general traits, I would suggest looking up aspergers on wiki or buying a book that provides a detail ist into the certain behaviors and conditions that people with aspergers have, as well as remembering that INTJ's are simply people whom utilize the cognitive functions of Ni and Te, with some Fi and maybe Se in rare cases. Aside from their analytical nature INTJ's seem like normal people, those with aspergers, often are a little more eccentric.

Or maybe in some rare case, he's an INTJ with aspergers.

I have to disagree. INTJs don't look in any way mentally disabled, but they're far from normal looking. if you're familiar with the INTJ temperament, they're usually easy to spot immediately

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find it silly that a type and a disorder are being compared as though they have similar grounds to begin with.

apples =/= oranges

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I have to disagree. INTJs don't look in any way mentally disabled, but they're far from normal looking. if you're familiar with the INTJ temperament, they're usually easy to spot immediately

In some cases (ex: E-Type Ones), they can look quite similar to ISTJs. Also, Asperger's is not a mental "disability", it's a different cognitive framework.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
My INTJ husband sometimes thinks he might have mild Aspergers. :rofl1:

I don't think he does, though. His expressionless face probably looks intimidating to people who don't know him because of the way he holds his mouth straight, but really he's just thinking. He's very serious and analytical when appropriate, but then he'll surprise you with the funniest wise cracks. Since I get to see his mushy and fun side, I mostly only see him smiling, joking around, and being a complete sweetie pie. In a small gathering of friends where he is comfortable, he is the life of the party, super witty and funny.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There seems to be a correlation. Which doesn't mean there can't aspie extroverts, but they seem to be rarer.
This data is from an austism subforum (asperger is an autism variation):

Most are INTJs. More than 60% INTs and only 2/91 ENFPs! Even though the sample isn't conclusive, this should be significant.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
My INTJ husband sometimes thinks he might have mild Aspergers. :rofl1:

I don't think he does, though. His expressionless face probably looks intimidating to people who don't know him because of the way he holds his mouth straight, but really he's just thinking. He's very serious and analytical when appropriate, but then he'll surprise you with the funniest wise cracks. Since I get to see his mushy and fun side, I mostly only see him smiling, joking around, and being a complete sweetie pie. In a small gathering of friends where he is comfortable, he is the life of the party, super witty and funny.

Daww!! *awkward shuffle*

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
There seems to be a correlation. Which doesn't mean there can't aspie extroverts, but they seem to be rarer.
This data is from an austism subforum (asperger is an autism variation):

Most are INTJs. More than 60% INTs and only 2/91 ENFPs! Even though the sample isn't conclusive, this should be significant.

A few points:

1) This poll is hardly scientific. It's on a forum and relies on too small of a sample, as you can see from the total of 91 votes.
2) Most people are poorly acquainted with the MBTI, and most people probably really don't know their own type. Every time my friends bring up the MBTI they remember themselves being something they're not. My INTJ cousin has thrown out ENTJ and ESTJ, my ENTJ friend has thrown out ESTJ and INTJ. Most people just don't know/remember/care.
3) A little something called confirmation bias comes into play here. On forums like Something Awful and imageboards like 4chan you find a great number of socially retarded persons who claim to have asperger's syndrome just to be able to say "see! I'm normal!" and have never gotten a formal diagnosis. I'd assume a high number of these (25% or more) to be cases of people who believe themselves to be sufferers of asperger's syndrome.

I have asperger's syndrome, diagnosed independently on at least three occasions. I'm not socially retarded. I'm 'different', no doubt about it, and there is a significant intelligence increase over other INTs (mostly INTJs), and I do think asperger's comes into play. There is literally no time I'm awake that I'm not exploring everything possible or absorbing knowledge. That's most likely due to asperger's syndrome. I'm suggesting that because while INTPs I know seem to be constantly thinking, they're not hyper-obsessive about it like I am and don't get totally immersed in explorations of large ideas for months and months at a time.

The exception being a couple of INTPs I know with asperger's syndrome.

Also, I hate INTJs. That doesn't really relate to anything, but I'm smarter than all of you. :bye:

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Double post caused by lag.

Last edited:

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

Point?

I don't think normal functioning people appear to be the same at all. Everyone I meet is so completely different from everyone else, and those differences are usually quite noticible.

Aspergers and INTJ appear to be very similar in many ways - the focused intellectual pursuit, the rigid behavior, the disintrest or lack of awareness of social innuendos. They are clearly not the same thing, though, which is why I am trying to see what particular differences can be noted.

T

ThatGirl

I don't think normal functioning people appear to be the same at all. Everyone I meet is so completely different from everyone else, and those differences are usually quite noticible.

Aspergers and INTJ appear to be very similar in many ways - the focused intellectual pursuit, the rigid behavior, the disintrest or lack of awareness of social innuendos. They are clearly not the same thing, though, which is why I am trying to see what particular differences can be noted.

Have you ever met an intj? They do not appear similar.

Here is what I have seen a laid back interest in intelectual pursits. They could find other things boring but there is no compulsion to their interest. They simply prefer to have something to tnink about.

Incredibly aware of social inuendo. These are ni dominant people, nothing gets past the intj. Incredibly perceptive of others meaninng and intention. Impressive awareness, not someone you would suspect of having any difficulties relating to their enviornment or the people in it. Though picky about who they get close to.

Stong, but not rigid at all. Confident and secure in their position, intjs have been the most open and understanding type I have met, unless you're trying to pull one over or are full of shit.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

True. :yes:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Have you ever met an intj? They do not appear similar.

Incredibly aware of social inuendo. These are ni dominant people, nothing gets past the intj. Incredibly perceptive of others meaninng and intention. Impressive awareness, not someone you would suspect of having any difficulties relating to their enviornment or the people in it. Though picky about who they get close to.

Stong, but not rigid at all. Confident and secure in their position, intjs have been the most open and understanding type I have met, unless you're trying to pull one over or are full of shit.

I have to disagree. I've seen other INTJs on the board complain of being socially retarded, and I have as well. I also have social anxiety and I know this is not the same thing as being introverted. But since many INTJs report it, I'm not going to simply chalk it up to social anxiety. I often miss even the most basic of social cues, and I've hurt people because it's difficult for me to feel empathy and to show I care in a manner that other people recognize, or in a manner that they need me to. I've often had to learn social behavior by watching and emulating, not by actually feeling it. I know there have been similar stories shared on the board by other INTJs.

You are right that INTJs are confident and secure in their position, but this is limited to their areas of expertise. You say they don't have difficulties relating to their environment, but I think that depends on what environment they're in. I may pick up subtleties in a written document, an argument, or a film that hardly anyone else can. But I'm lost picking up subtleties in social discourse.