• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introducing the Counter Perceptive P

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer: I am completely making this up. so don't go all jung on my ass

Basically, the Counter Perceptive P is the MBTI equivalent to the counter phobic 6. a counter perceptive P is a Perceiver who exhibits Js tendencies to fit it, appear more respectable, achieve a certain result or to be meet there own ideals of behavior. common traits of a Counter Perceptive P include
- deliberate seriousness
- punctuality
- excessively orderly
- desire to remain formal and detached from people
- an emphasis on being professional, even when not at work
- strong emphasis on responsibility and hard work
- abstinence from certain pleasurable activities
PS: it should be noted that in the Counter Perceptive P. these traits are forced/deliberate. it is not the same thing as a P who has developed his Teritary and Inferior functions naturally

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Disclaimer: I am completely making this up. so don't go all jung on my ass

Basically, the Counter Perceptive P is the MBTI equivalent to the counter phobic 6. a counter perceptive P is a Perceiver who exhibits Js tendencies to fit it, appear more respectable, achieve a certain result or to be meet there own ideals of behavior. common traits of a Counter Perceptive P include
- deliberate seriousness
- punctuality
- excessively orderly
PS: it should be noted that in the Counter Perceptive P. these traits are forced/deliberate. it is not the same thing as a P who has developed his Teritary and Inferior functions naturally

Why do they do this? Under what circumstances?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do they do this? Under what circumstances?

several reasons
- respect
- they think that they "should" be more like a J
- it makes them look more prestigious
- their doing a very J-ish job and need to go into Je/Pi mode
- their lifestlye is disadvantageous to their cognitive preferences, for instance, an ENFP farmer is likely to go Counter Perceptive P, an ISFP taking 22 credit hours in college is also likely to turn Counter Perceptive P

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
most frequently, they're in an ordered, regimented work environment that demands excessive professional behavior

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
most frequently, they're in an ordered, regimented work environment that demands excessive professional behavior

If it's caused by environment, how is it a personality trait? May as well invent a "sad P" - only applicable to Ps who've recently had a family member die.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it's caused by environment, how is it a personality trait? May as well invent a "sad P" - only applicable to Ps who've recently had a family member die.

it's not a personality trait, it's a response to an inherent personality trait, much as phobic and counter phobic 6 are responses to the 6's inherent anxiety. all 6s display both counter phobic and phobic tendencies, but over time they usually develop the habit of being one or the other.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let me rephrase. It's like saying that counterphobic sixes are counterphobic rather than phobic because they work as a skydiving instructor (i.e. rather than the opposite). To my knowledge (?) that's not how it works. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. I'm hearing you say essentially "Ps behave like Js in jobs that expect J behaviour", which to me seems like a situation where giving the P fancy labels is unnecessary.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been wanting to say that for some time.
Elfboy, you are just as special as anyone else. Deal with it. :gleam:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let me rephrase. It's like saying that counterphobic sixes are counterphobic rather than phobic because they work as a skydiving instructor (i.e. rather than the opposite). To my knowledge (?) that's not how it works. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. I'm hearing you say essentially "Ps behave like Js in jobs that expect J behaviour", which to me seems like a situation where giving the P fancy labels is unnecessary.

that's not quite what I'm saying. I'll think about how better to explain this and get back to you :yes:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
hm. i think the idea is on enough, but i'm not sure i understand why it would deserve a "special" recognition. the thing about 6, is that the type is personified in part by swinging to extremes. it's an amplification of the basic fight-flight stress response pattern. so when we talk about phobic or cp 6s, that's because 6s in particular tend to swing strongly. with J and P, it's essentially a sliding scale, and a P who isn't far from the J boundary won't have much trouble adapting to J conditions. in other words, there's no reason why Ps in particular would exhibit this pattern, beyond natural consequence. it's nothing inherent to P that would make this be a significant pattern. whereas with 6, it is.

the thoughts that come to my mind -

randomnity mentioned "sad P". i think a P behaving like you've described is probably pretty likely to be sad, or at least unfulfilled!

- deliberate seriousness
- punctuality
- excessively orderly

some of these traits can be accounted for by other things. an IxxP is, after all, Judging dominant, and is likely to be more focused, more serious, more formal and detached, and more deliberate than their ExxP Perceiving-dominant cousins. whereas on the opposite end, an ExFP will have tertiary Te, which may be "turned on".

i assume most people would guess me for a J at my current stint. i'm punctual, focused, do tasks in a linear fashion, am forever organizing and cleaning after my messy coworkers, and delegate when and where i can. and you know what? i kind of hate it. because i'm a P! i mean, i like having things clean and orderly, but having to be linear and detail-focused saps my energy. but when a 6 is counterphobic, it's not acting against their "natural" mechanisms.

i think that's the main difference i see, and why i probably wouldn't seek to make this classification. you could also have the "counter-judging J", a la J at a spa, but i think essentially what we're seeing here is a person with an external Perceiving preference who is leaning on external Judging - and this is looking very much like Te in particular, which is another thing that makes me hesitate - to compensate for environment. why would that merit mention beyond any other situation in which a person of a certain type leans on another of their functions to meet the adaptive demands of their environment?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why limit this to P's? Why not have counter judging J's? Counter introverted Is? Etc. People of all types can display traits associated with the opposite type preference for various reasons.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess you could also ask why Enneagram doesn't have counter-aggressive 8's, since this idea seems to stem from extending an enneagram type concept to MBTI.

I believe the 6's counterphobia would surface in some ISF's, INP's or NF's (where they would be less inhibited), rather than just being P in general.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is just a sad, stressed out, or oppressed P who feels bad about who they are and is trying to adhere to J standards, or may be living in their shadow for neurotic reasons.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why limit this to P's? Why not have counter judging J's? Counter introverted Is? Etc. People of all types can display traits associated with the opposite type preference for various reasons.
Meet Elfboy, a Counter Extrovert E + Counter Feeling F + Counter Perceptive P, he is the most interesting man in the world! :laugh: