• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Do You Measure Your Type?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hear different reasonings as to why people choose (or not choose) their types.

Real-Life versus Online interactions
How people perceive the person in real-life and how people perceive the person online.
How the person perceives himself or how other people should type the person instead (because other people are a better indicator of who you are.)
How a person acted as a child versus how the person acts now.
Whether the person was stressed when taking the test or not (after all, an INFP and ESTJ are dramatically different... and an INFP is extremely different from an ISTP.)
How the person wouldn't mind acting versus how the person truly acts (which ties in with real life and online experiences.)
Whether the person is suffering from a "condition" or not.

------------------------------------------------------------

Example?

Real life? I'm told in real life that I can't be an IXFP. I just can't be. No way, no how, that is the end of the story.
"What is this deal with being a 9w1?"
"How can you be peaceful?
"You? Flexible? :rofl1:"
"You like a robot. Show your emotions some more." <---- high school, was funny hearing someone say that. It was one of those.... "What?!" moments.

Online? I'm told I use an awful amount of Fi with a backdrop of Te. The Te is there, it is just that it isn't overbearing. The Fi can, at times, be VERY overbearing especially when I add more Te to the mix.
"Back off!"
"You're taking things too seriously."
"Who are you to say how I should act?"

G

Glycerine

Maybe online we show more of our true colors because we don't have to "impress" others? At least to an extent on these types of forums.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe online we show more of our true colors because we don't have to "impress" others? At least to an extent on these types of forums.

Well there is a common thread in the way I act in real life and the way I act online. That fact is, I don't show my "true colors." I just show what I believe to not be too personal. And no, I don't try to impress people on forums like these.

Which brings me to another point.

What if some of us come on here to relieve stress or to vent that stress? Some people on this forum have recently called this forum "like therapy." Could the person's type be the opposite of what the person initially thought?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I usually go with what feels right, or my most true actions. Sometimes it is difficult to find your motivations in your actions, but I do believe that when you find how you think it will feel comfortable. What you feel the most comfortable with should be where you begin, but not where you stay.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I measure my type both on my internal knowledge of myself and the observations of other people, as well as comparing my real life behavior (for my whole life, not just right now, I think people make a mistake if they aren't examining patterns of behavior over their entire life) to my on-line behavior, and knowledge of Jungian function theory.

The worst way to type someone is to type them by the way they think is the "right" way to act, the way they "should" act, or the type they think is "best" or "cool."

I actually thought I was an INFJ once upon a time. Now I think that is the most hilarious shit ever.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well there is a common thread in the way I act in real life and the way I act online. That fact is, I don't show my "true colors." I just show what I believe to not be too personal. And no, I don't try to impress people on forums like these.

Which brings me to another point.

What if some of us come on here to relieve stress or to vent that stress? Some people on this forum have recently called this forum "like therapy." Could the person's type be the opposite of what the person initially thought?

What are your motives? What do you primarily concern yourself with? What are your priorities? Your values?

Type is actually more about motive and attitude than behavior, though you will see *some* trends in behavior because of those attitudes.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I tend to think of it as there are some roles we fall into naturally, they just happen and we almost cant help ourselves and then there are other roles that we assume to try and achieve some end, maybe it's to be a better employee or to meet the expectations of those important to you. I type based on the former and try and breakdown and remove the later. We are all heavily socially conditioned as we grow up, this benefits society because we're behaving in a way that best suits others. MBTI was created for finding fulfilling careers though, and if we're trying to find what's truly comfortable and fulfilling for us we have to try and seperate the social conditioning from the natural inclinations.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I measured my type by inches of penis. Nine inches means INTP.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Slight hiatus. I am back, at least, for now.

What are your motives? What do you primarily concern yourself with? What are your priorities? Your values?

Type is actually more about motive and attitude than behavior, though you will see *some* trends in behavior because of those attitudes.

It seems I am habitually concerned about ideas, concepts, images, their relationships, and etc.

Of the many things I have pondered to get as a college degree involved
1. An element of helping others (whether physically, mentally, or something in my personal way.)
2. One in which I can travel somewhere overseas to work if I wanted to.
3. A "stable" enough income. An income where I can make slightly more than enough to get by while overseas.

I tend to think of it as there are some roles we fall into naturally, they just happen and we almost cant help ourselves and then there are other roles that we assume to try and achieve some end, maybe it's to be a better employee or to meet the expectations of those important to you. I type based on the former and try and breakdown and remove the later. We are all heavily socially conditioned as we grow up, this benefits society because we're behaving in a way that best suits others. MBTI was created for finding fulfilling careers though, and if we're trying to find what's truly comfortable and fulfilling for us we have to try and seperate the social conditioning from the natural inclinations.

I see where you are going Quilan. :D

So, a social construct is still a social construct... even if it is online. Natural inclinations, both in real life and online, "should" be sought for to choose an mbti type. What about social constructs that have become "natural" inclinations like something that we may not like, but we find a use for it?