• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types are offended by the MBTI?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Some people I know love the MBTI and some act offended, like we are not supposed to know that much about them. So which types are likely to be offended by the MBTI?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INFPs, in my observation, balk at the entire concept of MBTI more than anyone else I've seen. They tend to find the Te nature of putting people in boxes highly offensive to their Fi individuality.

In fact, I think I may know an INFP dude IRL because he started FREAKING OUT last night when I had barely even explained Jungian types to him. My ESFJ guy friend was sitting there with me like "OMGZ LULZ WTF" because the possible-INFP started getting butthurt before he even understood what we were trying to tell him. It was very strange. I thought he might be INTP up until that point, but now I don't think so at all.

Other than that, it varies. I think Feelers may be more likely to get offended when someone else tells them they've misyped themselves.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably the denial types - 7,8, & 9.
Anyone who views themselves one way, and doesn't want to admit the truth, in general.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Probably the denial types - 7,8, & 9.
Anyone who views themselves one way, and doesn't want to admit the truth, in general.

Aren't the denial types 7, 9 and 3?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Some people I know love the MBTI and some act offended, like we are not supposed to know that much about them. So which types are likely to be offended by the MBTI?

With all the different theories, endless count of types.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aren't the denial types 7, 9 and 3?

I just found this:

The Instinctive Triad: Types eight, nine, and one are concerned with maintaining resistance to reality (creating boundaries for the self that are based on physical tensions). These types tend to have problems with aggression and repression.

I know I read this somewhere, but I can't find it now. :(

I think perhaps that 7 could be seen as a denial type because they are denying their problems at times, and wouldn't want to admit the negatives about themselves.

3's I can also see as a denial type....

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The two people that I've introduced to the MBTI, that were the most resistant to it, were ISFP (suspected) and ISFJ (confirmed).

The ISFJ read some descriptions and everything went in one ear and out the other except for a brief usage of the word "secretary", as a possible career choice, which must have touched a nerve with her because she absolutely flipped out at me, talking about how stupid the test was and how could anyone take it seriously.

The ISFP said, and I quote: "I already know myself. I don't need someone else to tell me who I am."

I agree about INFPs, though -- especially from my experience on this forum. :yes:

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I was at that MBTI workshop once and there was that girl who scored as ESTP or ESTJ I think. She was quite ruffled about the T, because it sounded to her as if she would be like a robot without emotions (most people at that workshop didn't know about MBTI before so they didn't quite understand it yet). I thought she might start crying soon.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

An INFP I know thinks this is ridiculous, or at least I suspect he does. So chalk it up to Fi-users, at least they're in the lead.

G

Ginkgo

Uh... or maybe they don't want to be pigeonholed for something they're not. I hope you considered this.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs, in my observation, balk at the entire concept of MBTI more than anyone else I've seen. They tend to find the Te nature of putting people in boxes highly offensive to their Fi individuality.

I see this propaganda repeated frequently, with little foundations in reality, and it makes no sense when you look at the facts.

If INFPs balk at the idea of MBTI, then why they are over-represented in MBTI communities, often one of the most populous types & likely to be among the most active members?

If they resisted identifying with a type, then this would not be so.

Plus, several of the most well known MBTI authors are INFPs, including Isabel Myers herself. INFPs, along with the other INxx types, seem most likely to explore the theory deeply.

I see INFPs as being very interested in typology & eager to type themselves because we're generally big on
1) self-growth & self-understanding
2) searching for identity to ease our sense of alienation (many INFPs express great relief upon discovering their type, not a feeling of being pigeon-holed)
3) theories, especially ones that are connected to people, such as psychological theories

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Maybe healthy INFP's like the MBTI and unhealthy ones feel threatened by it. The only friendship I ever had that ended very poorly involved an INFP and ENFP who totally freaked out when I shared the concept of typology with them, accused me of trying to read their minds and completely dumped me from their lives. In retrospect, they were very unhealthy psychologically, but I have been afraid to talk to people about typology ever since.

G

Ginkgo

Maybe healthy INFP's like the MBTI and unhealthy ones feel threatened by it. The only friendship I ever had that ended very poorly involved an INFP and ENFP who totally freaked out when I shared the concept of typology with them, accused me of trying to read their minds and completely dumped me from their lives. In retrospect, they were very unhealthy psychologically, but I have been afraid to talk to people about typology ever since.

Romantic interests?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

In fact, I think I may know an INFP dude IRL because he started FREAKING OUT last night when I had barely even explained Jungian types to him. My ESFJ guy friend was sitting there with me like "OMGZ LULZ WTF" because the possible-INFP started getting butthurt before he even understood what we were trying to tell him. It was very strange. I thought he might be INTP up until that point, but now I don't think so at all.

Other than that, it varies. I think Feelers may be more likely to get offended when someone else tells them they've misyped themselves.

Pretty much what I wanted to say.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Those who look at MBTI and find it offensive tend to have a lack of understanding in dichotomies though it really is quite simple.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see this propaganda repeated frequently, with little foundations in reality, and it makes no sense when you look at the facts.

If INFPs balk at the idea of MBTI, then why they are over-represented in MBTI communities, often one of the most populous types & likely to be among the most active members?

If they resisted identifying with a type, then this would not be so.

Plus, several of the most well known MBTI authors are INFPs, including Isabel Myers herself. INFPs, along with the other INxx types, seem most likely to explore the theory deeply.

I see INFPs as being very interested in typology & eager to type themselves because we're generally big on
1) self-growth & self-understanding
2) searching for identity to ease our sense of alienation (many INFPs express great relief upon discovering their type, not a feeling of being pigeon-holed)
3) theories, especially ones that are connected to people, such as psychological theories

It's because generally the loudest town cryers against MBTI on-line seem to always be INFPs.

So maybe they aren't the most likely to resist it, but when they do, they're very adamant about it?

rav3n

The opening post sets up the false premise of either/or, where there's a third or more option(s). Individuals who don't like their type, as well as those who are looking for an exacting fit and a perfect solution for an imperfect set of parameters, will be the ones who reject MBTI. There's also the odd attention whore who rejects MBTI just to get a reaction.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
It's because generally the loudest town cryers against MBTI on-line seem to always be INFPs.

So maybe they aren't the most likely to resist it, but when they do, they're very adamant about it?

Perhaps because a lot of S types are more "apathetic" than "reluctant" towards the MBTI?