• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types are offended by the MBTI?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know, like, they think, "what's the point of that thingamajig again? Whatever, there are more pressing matters at hand... :run:"

Jung himself was probably an ISTP. There are Sensors on here who are quite knowledgeable of MBTI. I said INFPs, specifically, not all Intuitives.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
those who are looking for an exacting fit and a perfect solution for an imperfect set of parameters, will be the ones who reject MBTI. .

Yes, it's what makes me tempted to reject it some time.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yeah anytime I've gotten frustrated with it, it has been because, first of all, I didn't understand introversion and extroversion, and well I didn't understand a lot of it at first...I was quite lost...and the whole process of learning it and the cognitive dissonance alone can probably cause some people to reject it.

Then I got mad at Keirsey because I sound like a cross between NFP and SFP, and furthermore, now by one of the Jungian systems I look like an ES(F) Cultural Realist...and in Beebe's theory I could easily be ESFP while in Lenore's I fit ENFP just fine.

If I wasn't happy thinking "oh well I can be ExFP" I might freak out. But I'm not gonna do that.

I accept that it's just a theory, and the theory isn't going to quite fit real life, even though it may be very close.

On the other hand, I think the theory is valid enough to be approximately correct in most cases, and is a valuable tool for self-understanding, as well as understanding others.

rav3n

I've yet to see any psychological or sociological theory be perfect or even close to it. And this is from a very small sampling of such, since I'm not a psych major.

'Tis all physics envy!

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Jung himself was probably an ISTP. There are Sensors on here who are quite knowledgeable of MBTI. I said INFPs, specifically, not all Intuitives.

I was just sharing my experience... I realize I don't know a lot of people, S or N, IRL. :blush: My ISFx mom is always asking, "why are you researching this, again?". :laugh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was just sharing my experience... I realize I don't know a lot of people, S or N, IRL. :blush: My ISFx mom is always asking, "why are you researching this, again?". :laugh:

The philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau was an ISFP. William Wordsworth was ISFJ, and Sylvia Plath may have been too. Sensors by their very nature do not reject theory, this is a lie of pop-culture typology. A lie that I even fell for in the beginning.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
The philosopher Rene Rousseau was an ISFP. William Wordsworth was ISFJ, and Sylvia Plath may have been too. Sensors by their very nature do not reject theory, this is a lie of pop-culture typology. A lie that I even fell for in the beginning.

I'm sorry! I apologize! I apologize! I genuflect! Mis apologías! :eeep:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This wins a prize: Rene Russo and Jean-Jacques Rousseau became one.

HAHAHA!

That's funny. I wasn't even paying attention to what I was doing.

I meant Jean-Jacques Rousseau.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
So the inventor could not even properly use his own invention?

In the man's own words:

As a natural scientist, thinking and sensation were uppermost in me and intuition and feeling were in the unconscious and contaminated by the collective unconscious. You cannot get directly to the inferior function from the superior, it must always be via the auxiliary function.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFPs, in my observation, balk at the entire concept of MBTI more than anyone else I've seen. They tend to find the Te nature of putting people in boxes highly offensive to their Fi individuality.

In fact, I think I may know an INFP dude IRL because he started FREAKING OUT last night when I had barely even explained Jungian types to him. My ESFJ guy friend was sitting there with me like "OMGZ LULZ WTF" because the possible-INFP started getting butthurt before he even understood what we were trying to tell him. It was very strange. I thought he might be INTP up until that point, but now I don't think so at all.

Other than that, it varies. I think Feelers may be more likely to get offended when someone else tells them they've misyped themselves.

I agree with all of this.

Probably the denial types - 7,8, & 9.
Anyone who views themselves one way, and doesn't want to admit the truth, in general.

Aren't the denial types 7, 9 and 3?

I didn't know the ennegram had a denial triad. Is this just something you made up or is there stuff out there written about it?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I didn't know the ennegram had a denial triad. Is this just something you made up or is there stuff out there written about it?

I based it off an online quick-'n'-dirty test by Don Riso. The one where you combine A/B/C with X/Y/Z.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have nothing against the MBTI itself... I DO have something against the way that some idiots abuse it and come up with amazingly inane stereotypes based on it :coffee:

similar to having nothing against knives themselves but having issues with people who go around stabbing people with them :)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps because a lot of S types are more "apathetic" than "reluctant" towards the MBTI?

I agree....to resist it that stubbornly, you have to be taking it seriously. I think S types are less likely to take it seriously enough to be offended.

I still don't agree that INFPs are the loudest about this either & have yet to see one shred of solid evidence to support that.... I myself seen many other types loudly proclaim that MBTI is offensive or a load of crap. Before the myth that this is an "INFP thing" was propagated, I was under the impression that INTPs were most prone to this attitude. That just goes to show that personal impressions are faulty, because they are limited to your experience & don't show the whole picture.

The INFP who is offended by MBTI is the exception, not the rule.

A

A window to the soul

Some people I know love the MBTI and some act offended, like we are not supposed to know that much about them. So which types are likely to be offended by the MBTI?

I am not offended by MBTI theory or by stereotypes. I can't think of any greater worldy high than facing a challenge like someone telling me that I can't do something and then proving them wrong.

Examples: You say an ENTP is incapable of mushy, I show you mushy. You say I'm shallow, I show you deep. You say I don't like people, I show you Mother Theresa. Do you see how that works??

:gleam:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people I know love the MBTI and some act offended, like we are not supposed to know that much about them. So which types are likely to be offended by the MBTI?

The types that don't fall into a type/ feel constrained by types.