• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What types are offended by the MBTI?

G

Ginkgo

Those who look at MBTI and find it offensive tend to have a lack of understanding in dichotomies though it really is quite simple.

INtuition and Sensing is a false dichotomy. Abstract faculties require sensory information in order to process abstract information. They're virtually inseparable.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I first found weird people answer INFPs, since they are very represented in typology forums. Imo, the explanation is that an unhealthy Fi-dominant is the most prone to feel offended by pretty much anything - which incidentally would involve mbti.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Yeah anytime I've gotten frustrated with it, it has been because, first of all, I didn't understand introversion and extroversion, and well I didn't understand a lot of it at first...I was quite lost...and the whole process of learning it and the cognitive dissonance alone can probably cause some people to reject it.

Then I got mad at Keirsey because I sound like a cross between NFP and SFP, and furthermore, now by one of the Jungian systems I look like an ES(F) Cultural Realist...and in Beebe's theory I could easily be ESFP while in Lenore's I fit ENFP just fine.

If I wasn't happy thinking "oh well I can be ExFP" I might freak out. But I'm not gonna do that.

I accept that it's just a theory, and the theory isn't going to quite fit real life, even though it may be very close.

On the other hand, I think the theory is valid enough to be approximately correct in most cases, and is a valuable tool for self-understanding, as well as understanding others.

Sounds much too confusing. I guess I'm lucky that I have yet to read any theory in which I'm not an INTP.

Too many damn I's in that sentence. He, She, That, What, Red.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sounds much too confusing. I guess I'm lucky that I have yet to read any theory in which I'm not an INTP.

Too many damn I's in that sentence. He, She, That, What, Red.

Hey I know a guy who was convinced he was an ISFJ for nearly a year, and once he learned function theory, and saw how Te and Fi applied to him more than Fe and Ti, it opened his mind enough to actually read ISTJ descriptions and he said "OMG THIS IS ME." Yeah...

So it's worth it to push yourself to the cognitive dissonance if you're really interested in personality theory, to get past all of the fucking stereotypes and bullshit about the dichotomies. I think one of the hardest concepts for people to understand is Sensing and Intuition.

Don't get me wrong, there are people who clearly are their type, they just are. But then there are people who have a hard time seeing their own personality traits, or just don't understand the theory enough to see how they fit into it, and just pick the type they think sounds best, or is what they "should" be.

But congratulations on knowing you've been one type for your entire life. Usually you see that most frequently in INTJs.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INtuition and Sensing is a false dichotomy. Abstract faculties require sensory information in order to process abstract information. They're virtually inseparable.
You are correct to the degree of life for the simple impossibility to go through life without one or the other. A baby without any senses would have the inability to experience and therefore never mentally grow, however,
They are separable because at a given moment in time it is impossible to use both. You are right that we need to initially sense in order gain some form of information to intuit through life however that is only limited to the particular minimal matrices of information received over time. Which by such a point in your life, your database would be so very vast, you would last closer to infinite with the amount you are able to conjure up. You'd be able to remove all your senses 'sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste' and live a fully imagined life in your mind building upon what existing data you already have. Perceiving with lack of intuition is sensing. Perceiving with lack of sensing, is intuition. This is how we fall to inclinations upon dichotomies.

We may perhaps say that senses are often disregarded through 1/3 of life simply by the sleeping process. Usually excessive sensing stimuli is required for the body to 'start up' again. Concrete data in itself is not gained in sleep. We live.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There is a difference between being offended by it and thinking it is a bad theory.

Also, if there's anything offensive about it, it's misinformed people using it in really contrived ways.