• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typology Central is free therapy

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don't know about you all, but after spending an hour on here I always feel very relaxed, like I just had a really good therapy session.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I felt that before I joined, reading a lot of the stuff in the NF forum... you're right it was a luxuriant feeling, since I was dealing with some stuff in my personal life, kind of deep little problems I was trying to work thru. Little, but also confusingly deep things, issues of personality-- not traumatic but lightweight, though still important. For some reason everyone here talking about their quirks & difficulties being their silly emotional, problem-ridden selves was inspirational. I ahven't done it in a while though.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Talk therapy, yeah. :yes: It's a safe place to open up.

But I'd argue that it's more like talking to a close friend, than going to therapy. That is, if you have a close friend that's very analytical, so you could psychoanalyze yourself, together, and it wouldn't be weird. (And I am blessed enough to have more than one friend like that. :wub:)

P

Phantonym

I don't know about others, but sometimes I come here relaxed and in a hour I'm ready to claw somebody's eyes out. Sometimes it only takes a minute.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is. I can talk about my ex and my family all day long and just dump it somewhere or analyze. I can release emotions and talk about anything with anybody.

There's also mutual support here with certain people that is like group therapy.

Plus beyond that it's a fun place to socialize and exchange ideas. Typology Central serves so many purposes, that's why I hang out here.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sorry HhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no really sorry bahahahahahahahahaha sorry i apolo hahaha gize honestly.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's disappointingly no form of anger release on forums, except for maybe telling members that they're fucking idiots, but that would be against the rules. I never realized how much I need that release. In fact, I just realized why I'm feeling bored and shity. I bet moderators get that release from banning the unsuspecting.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
If by free therapy you mean the court ordered group therapy sessions that's a requirement of your probation, filled with drunken domestic abusers, sex offenders, juvenile delinquent pre-teen moms, and where the only thing of value you really take away from the entire experience is some shady looking character asking you to meet you next to the water fountains during the 10 minute break so he teach you how to make methamphetamines using a skillet, baking powder, and a 6-pack of AA Duracell batteries, then sure, yeah, I could see that. Tis truly a cathartic experience in its own sick, misguided way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If by free therapy you mean the court ordered group therapy sessions that's a requirement of your probation, filled with drunken domestic abusers, sex offenders, juvenile delinquent pre-teen moms, and where the only thing of value you really take away from the entire experience is some shady looking character asking you to meet you next to the water fountains during the 10 minute break so he teach you how to make methamphetamines using a skillet, baking powder, and a 6-pack of AA Duracell batteries, then sure, yeah, I could see that. Tis truly a cathartic experience in its own sick, misguided way.

You can learn a great deal about human psychology and behavior from both observing and interacting with people on this forum.

Of course, you can also do that at a bus station, but it makes it more convenient that here it's a neat little microcosm where you can reflect, watch, and analyze as well as taking in communicative input.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can learn a great deal about human psychology and behavior from both observing and interacting with people on this forum.

Of course, you can also do that at a bus station, but it makes it more convenient that here it's a neat little microcosm where you can reflect, watch, and analyze as well as taking in communicative input.

I don't disagree with that at all, I was just being facetious.

*crawls back in hole*

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't disagree with that at all, I was just being facetious.

*crawls back in hole*

Haha...well, I actually think there's truth to what you say, of course...and some people benefit from group therapy with a plethora of "real people" more than others, who may require a more intensely private one-on-one style of therapy.

Now give me my baking powder back. :nono:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha...well, I actually think there's truth to what you say, of course...and some people benefit from group therapy with a plethora of "real people" more than others, who may require a more intensely private one-on-one style of therapy.

Now give me my baking powder back. :nono:

I think the main thing preventing me from genuinely recognizing that this forum houses any sort of therapeutic value the lack of actual resolutions and accountability. If anything, I see the sharing here as just constructive venting. Here, we're only just broaching the surface of the problem, which in most cases manifests itself only in very isolated incidents, yet never really exploring the psychological root of the problem, which is just providing a temporary solution to a problem that's still existent. I see more people just looking for that element of human connection, as opposed to any sort of really healing, not to say that can't be found within the human connection, but I think the problems generally extend beyond that. The exchanges are more "Hey, at the very least I identify with what you're saying and you aren't alone in these experiences." as opposed to going much further beyond the surface.

Also, I think most people here are able to allow themselves to be as open as they are because here they exist as merely an anonymous extension of their actual selves, thus there's always an element of detachment from whatever they're saying, but maybe that's something exclusive to the T's though. When you're analyzing yourself from a perspective outside of yourself, it's much easier to be open.

But again, I could be totally wrong on this one as this is all my interpretation of all, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who do actually view this as a therapeutic experience.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think the main thing preventing me from genuinely recognizing that this forum houses any sort of therapeutic value the lack of actual resolutions and accountability. If anything, I see the sharing here as just constructive venting. Here, we're only just broaching the surface of the problem, which in most cases manifests itself only in very isolated incidents, yet never really exploring the psychological root of the problem, which is just providing a temporary solution to a problem that's still existent. I see more people just looking for that element of human connection, as opposed to any sort of really healing, not to say that can't be found within the human connection, but I think the problems generally extend beyond that. The exchanges are more "Hey, at the very least I identify with what you're saying and you aren't alone in these experiences." as opposed to going much further beyond the surface.

Also, I think most people here are able to allow themselves to be as open as they are because here they exist as merely an anonymous extension of their actual selves, thus there's always an element of detachment from whatever they're saying, but maybe that's something exclusive to the T's though. When you're analyzing yourself from a perspective outside of yourself, it's much easier to be open.

But again, I could be totally wrong on this one as this is all my interpretation of all, and I'm sure there's plenty of people who do actually view this as a therapeutic experience.

Everyone is their own best therapist, and you only get out of therapy what you invest into it, and that includes more traditonal individual counseling. That's why there are people who stay on their meds, and people who don't, and people who don't seem to get much out of therapy, and others who heal tremendously.

I've also been through experential group encounters with confrontational therapy, and it's a similar concept. You get out what you put in. It will all change you a little, but the people who are changed a lot are the people who put more into it.

This forum helps me to reflect and get feedback and reflect some more, so I would say that it's definitely helped me to grow, though I mostly use it for socializing and also debating ideas, I've learned a great deal about myself and other people and relationships by being here.

Typology Central isn't a subsitute for a real therapist (btw, I have a real therapist myself, so...) but it's better than nothing.

The people who don't change are the people who don't invest anything into it, or else have such deep problems that they actually need one-on-one therapy and possibly medication.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I guess it seems like therapy because it makes me feel like I am OK. I read about other people who are thinking or feeling the same things as me, and it makes me feel better. I also read about other people with other points of view and it makes me understand other people better as well. I also love the semi-autonimity, because I can talk about things that I normally couldn't with other people.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha sorry HhAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no really sorry bahahahahahahahahaha sorry i apolo hahaha gize honestly.

I wasn't sure how I was going to respond, but I guess this was the closest......

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

True.

However, to people like myself, who have never tried any counseling nor can afford to have one--has a infinite therapeutic value. I can't describe how much benefit I've been receiving from posting and interacting with a few members. More specifically, Marmie, Starryknights, and Silkroad has offered me many emotional uplifting moments when life hits me with a brick. I know it's probably my Fe working up again, but I truly appreciate those few posters who have shared their insights with me and helped me going through some of the darkest moments I've ever experienced.

That's what I liked the most about this site. It's not only because of the anonymonity but also I'm quite surprised to see many posters here are actually serious about answering each others' questions or discussions. I've always felt disconnected when it comes to sharing my deep, inner-voice with people in real life as most of the time I felt they just didn't get it. Though in here, since we're quite familiar of each other's preceiving functions, it certainly helps to communicate more effectively.

The best part is that not only I've learned about my actual flaws are basically just part of integration of my true self, but learn how to overcome it by reading what others have to share their inner-struggles.

I think for most introverts or extrovert-introverts, this site does provide many helpful resources across the board. :)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, essentially I find this place very therapeutic. To me it's kind of a little interpersonal holodeck where I can see and be a part of all kinds of interactions that are more varied and concentrated here than irl. You have to take into account that people behave differently online, but that just ends up increasing the range of things to experience. People open up easier, reach out easier and flame easier.

I always end up learning more about myself. That's pretty therapeutic.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I guess it seems like therapy because it makes me feel like I am OK. I read about other people who are thinking or feeling the same things as me, and it makes me feel better. I also read about other people with other points of view and it makes me understand other people better as well. I also love the semi-autonimity, because I can talk about things that I normally couldn't with other people.

me too.

True.

However, to people like myself, who have never tried any counseling nor can afford to have one--has a infinite therapeutic value. I can't describe how much benefit I've been receiving from posting and interacting with a few members. More specifically, Marmie, Starryknights, and Silkroad has offered me many emotional uplifting moments when life hits me with a brick. I know it's probably my Fe working up again, but I truly appreciate those few posters who have shared their insights with me and helped me going through some of the darkest moments I've ever experienced.

That's what I liked the most about this site. It's not only because of the anonymonity but also I'm quite surprised to see many posters here are actually serious about answering each others' questions or discussions. I've always felt disconnected when it comes to sharing my deep, inner-voice with people in real life as most of the time I felt they just didn't get it. Though in here, since we're quite familiar of each other's preceiving functions, it certainly helps to communicate more effectively.

The best part is that not only I've learned about my actual flaws are basically just part of integration of my true self, but learn how to overcome it by reading what others have to share their inner-struggles.

I think for most introverts or extrovert-introverts, this site does provide many helpful resources across the board. :)

:hug:

you also, and i agree completely.

it's what you make of it, i figure. it's therapy, a sounding board, a playpen, an intellectual debate, a social gathering.

what i have learned here about how to better interact with others has been invaluable. my relationships with INTPs and NFJs in particular have improved immensely since the forum opened my world to points of view whose existence i could not grasp previously. i have learned to think in new ways.