• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types and social skills

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Strengths:

• Making people feel comfortable.
  • Deep understanding and love for people.
  • Leadership skills.
  • Seeing the good and what's possible in any situation.
  • Strive for win-win solutions.
  • Good at motivating and inspiring others.
  • Great interpersonal skills.
  • Dependable.
  • Outgoing and very friendly :D.

Weaknesses:

• Melodramatic.
  • Can be over sensitive.
  • Can come across as aloof when bored or uninterested.
  • I wear my heart on my sleeve.
  • Can have an explosive temper, but it takes a lot to get that point!
  • Can be too trusting or too involved.
  • Standoffish towards people I don't care for much.
  • Tendency to take things too personally :doh:.

Silveresque

Good at:
- listening
- showing empathy
- being honest in a nice way
- making people feel at ease
- making sure I don't offend or upset anyone

Bad at:
- initiating conversation
- being talkative or bubbly
- showing enthusiasm
- arranging get-togethers
- consoling

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, I was thinking about things along these lines over the weekend, although I came to a bit of a different conclusion than the OP - I decided over the weekend that my enneagram plays a MUCH stronger role in my socialization ability/how I come across than my mbti type.

I compare myself to my INFJ friend, who is one of the most talkative people I know, who can talk about anything and everything, and who doesn't seem to have any social self-consciousness. She talks about herself a lot, and can monopolize conversation. (On the spectrum of E/I, she says as she's gotten older she's become more comfortable and isn't an extreme I like I am. lol. But anyway, she IS an I.) She's also an e2 so.

Compare her to myself (an e5 sp), and socially, it's almost like we're from different planets - even though cognitively we think about/approach things in the same way. We just appear quite different. I would be/am completely overshadowed by her irl. And socially she's MUCH more skilled than I. I'd sum it up as: she's great at getting other people to know who SHE is, in conjunction to who they are & building on that conversation and relationship; I'm great at getting to know who OTHER people are, but other people don't have any idea who I am - thus I'm not in essence building a relationship.

My strengths? I think I'm very good at HEARING people, and good at getting other people to talk/share of themselves. Making people feel that I acknowledge their existence and I want to get to know them. I may pointedly direct my attention to someone who's not talking (say if we're in a group), ask something of them, listen. Create those little 1:1 moments - more personalized. That's really my only way of 'connecting' to people -- in a 1:1 way, briefly, snatching those opportunities. And I get the sense that people don't get this often... almost that they're not even 'acknowledged' or understood in this way by their own family or their own S.O... there's just something in the eye contact/ way they respond that gives me the sense that they aren't often HEARD by anyone.

I'm also pretty good at the 1-liner comments / summations. That's my other 'role' in groups. I don't talk at length or espouse my opinions, but I'll be the insert-random-but-relevant-humor-or-comment girl.

My weaknesses? Basically... that I am so quiet and that I really should NOT be in any formal chit-chatty/non-activity-based group setting; I am not only usually uncomfortable, but I end up wondering the entire time what purpose there is for my being there because I pretty much only operate, verbally, in a 1:1 way and I don't speak to groups, so I'm quiet/a lump the entire time. I feel REALLY deficient in group social settings. BUT conversely, I also 'navigate' them in the sense that I'm able to read the overall group well and also can tell when individuals in the group are uncomfortable/offended/what have you. I get the sense that I'm well-liked, and I can get along with people, but I'm socially retarded when it comes to talking, and my introversion very easily dips into the realm of being unhealthy -- the whole e5 sp thing. I'm so accustomed to being in my own head that I 'forget' to get out of it sometimes.

I'm also pretty selective with the people I am interested in, so beyond initial inquiries/chatting, will tend to disengage quickly if I realize I don't care for someones' personality or we have absolutely nothing in common.

Other weakness: inability to provide a succinct bullet point list in this thread. :doh:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
+

- good listener
- non judgemental
- calming effect, putting people at ease
- ability to show an interest in whatever moves the other person at the moment
- can be very caring

-

- bad at maintaining contact (too passive)
- bad at bonding with people I don't have much in common with
- bad at small talk (feels awkward)
- often oblivious to etiquette

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me...

Pro's
- great one-on-one
- good listener, good at feedback w/o seeming critical; safe and engaging
- solid in small talk [hard-won skill]
- can sometimes be fun at parties
- very open in e-mail
- can articulate sympathy/empathy
- stay calm when others are not
- can sense where the other person is at (or understand their perspective) and meet them there
- aware of social expectations at play

Con's
- can't salvage/carry the conversation if the other person is not responding
- can sometimes be a withdrawn deadbeat at parties
- bad at maintenance / phone calls / visits
- awkward/anxious at physical/emotional sympathy; have trouble relating outside of the "verbal/rational" sphere
- bad at caring for other's practical needs
- disappear without warning when exhausted / can seem reclusive
- have trouble relaying when I'm being violated / let down in some way
- deal poorly with clingy/needy or aggressive/angry people
- can't engage stupidity or rudeness very long

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me...

Pro's
- great one-on-one
- good listener, good at feedback w/o seeming critical; safe and engaging
- solid in small talk [hard-won skill]
- can sometimes be fun at parties
- very open in e-mail
- can articulate sympathy/empathy
- stay calm when others are not
- can sense where the other person is at (or understand their perspective) and can, if needed meet them there
- aware of social expectations at play

Con's
- can't salvage/carry the conversation if the other person is not responding
- can sometimes be a withdrawn deadbeat at parties
- bad at maintenance / phone calls / visits
- awkward/anxious at physical/emotional sympathy; have trouble relating outside of the "verbal/rational" sphere
- bad at caring for other's practical needs
- disappear without warning when exhausted / can seem reclusive
- have trouble relaying when I'm being violated / let down in some way
- deal poorly with clingy/needy or aggressive/angry people
- can't engage stupidity or rudeness very long
- is not very good at describing himself using the right words when talking about his social aspect.

Also, I am thankful for [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] for doing all the work on making this post for me, didn't have to revise much at all for myself.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, I am thankful for Jennifer for doing all the work on making this post for me, didn't have to revise much at all for myself.

I'll send you the bill for my services later in the week.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started making my list, and realized several items were not actually skills, but motivations. Leaving those out:

Good at:
- respecting personal diversity and not judging others by appearance, stereotype, etc.
- controlling my temper and rarely speaking or acting in anger, no matter how emotional others get
- teaching and mentoring; I can be extraordinarily patient when someone is really trying to learn, however slow their progress
- public speaking and professional meeting formalities
- being a good host (legacy of ESFJ mother)

Bad at:
- judging people harshly on more relevant/substantive grounds
- recreational gatherings of > 10 people, especially when I don't know most of them
- saying too little because the topic seems boring/irrelevant (aloof/awkward); and then saying too much once a good topic comes up (intense/pedantic)
- like Fluffywolf, have trouble relating outside of the "verbal/rational" sphere
- avoidant, of the phone, of large gatherings, of unnecessary interactions with strangers

Last edited:
R

ReflecTcelfeR

People open up to me. Don't know why... They're confused themselves at times, but it makes me feel fuzzy on the inside. It is an honor to learn such deep secrets.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm good at working with or chatting up outsiders.

Im bad at telephone. Especially leaving voice-mail message for others.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I am almost always willing to listen to what you have to say (though feigning interest is difficult). I'm compassionate and generous, but also uncompromising and unwilling to mold myself just to keep the harmony intact. I'm bad at initiating conversation and would like to be more articulate, since sometimes it is hard to make myself understood or express what I truly feel. Emotions especially are something that often comes out in a very awkward manner.