• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my son

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a person having the innate trait of high psychological sensitivity (or innate sensitiveness as Carl Jung originally coined it) In Psychological Types!

Yep, I read it. Are you saying HSP = innate sensitiveness (ala Jung)?

And the word hypersensitivity is notably absent btw.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

A la Jung in which book? Psychological Types uses the word "hypersensibility" in this exact same context.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm still going to say: Why do you really believe that correlation = causation?

You are continually misattributing statements and arguments to me. At one point you even directly misquoted me. Shame!

But I will continue to give you a crack at giving a really good argument against the questionnaire I cited that seems to bother you.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned

A la Jung in which book? Psychological Types uses the word "hypersensibility" in this exact same context.

He describes it as 'innate sensitiveness'. Type Carl Jung HSP and Elaine N. Aron into google and reveal to the group how far you get.

You are continually misattributing statements and arguments to me. At one point you even directly misquoted me. Shame!

But I will continue to give you a crack at giving a really good argument against the questionnaire I cited that seems to bother you.

We have discussed this in depth on three occasions. Your only argument is that hypersensitivity = introversion even though you admit that its a tenuous correlation link and therefore despite you having 8 introverted types to chose from you said 'MUST B ISTP'. Most of the other contributors to the thread have contributed stories of Fi relief, Se inferior, Ni dom and Te parent and went 'Ahha, INTJ'. But you are still unwilling to back track and reconsider the original evidence and instead you are more interested in blaming everyone else for failures in the cohesiveness of your argument.

The amusement of INTP misquotes as well, I misquoted you on 'one post' and then you said 'I understood it fine' on the next in terms of what I understood. Make your mind up time.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
He describes it as 'innate sensitiveness'. Type Carl Jung HSP and Elaine N. Aron into google and reveal to the group how far you get.

But ... but you are going to use a Wikipedia reference as proof? Gah, now I have to get out my HSP book and see if she makes the correlation independently.

Oy vey. Will report back.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
But ... but you are going to use a Wikipedia reference as proof? Gah, now I have to get out my HSP book and see if she makes the correlation independently.

Oy vey. Will report back.

Even better quotes

Elaine Aron said:
The three articles titled "Sensory-Processing Sensitivity and Its Relation to Introversion and Emotionality," "Revisiting Jung's Concept of Innate Sensitiveness," and "Adult Shyness: The Interaction of Temperamental Sensitivity and a Negative Childhood Environment"

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
That's the study I linked already, and it was published AFTER the book as an attempt to find correlates.

As I said, DING, I will report back to you from the source.

EDIT: GASP - I see I have to quote you directly from now on. Lest you delete evidence ...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We have discussed this in depth on three occasions. Your only argument is that hypersensitivity = introversion

That's not a very precise summing of what I said. Using the equals sign is not very convincing in itself.

As I said before, "hypersensitivity" is a trait listed on an introversion test.

But if you would just stop and think, Jim, instead of "hyper-reacting," the test requires at least 15 "true" responses to the introverted traits listed.

That means, Jim, that someone could score "introverted" on the test and yet correctly answer "no" to the question on "hypersensitivity."

Now I've given away the only reasonable counter to my own claim. As usual, I had to do all the thinking myself.

even though you admit that its a tenuous correlation link and therefore despite you having 8 introverted types to chose from you said 'MUST B ISTP'. Most of the other contributors to the thread have contributed stories of Fi relief, Se inferior, Ni dom and Te parent and went 'Ahha, INTJ'. But you are still unwilling to back track and reconsider the original evidence and instead you are more interested in blaming everyone else for failures in the cohesiveness of your argument.

The amusement of INTP misquotes as well, I misquoted you on 'one post' and then you said 'I understood it fine' on the next in terms of what I understood. Make your mind up time.

As I said above, if I accept the INTJ response then I open myself up to the criticism that I am stereotyping her son based on the fact that he plays a good chess game.

And by the way, I never wrote "I understood it fine."

Have you noticed yet that whenever I quote someone I actually use the quoting system here? Why don't you?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Have you noticed yet that whenever I quote someone I actually use the quoting system here? Why don't you?

Because when I am talking to Peacebaby I quote her. I'm tired of telling INTPs that I am not their mother and to stop pawing me.

Hey look, now we are Realllyyy getting somewhere... LINK

Aron said:
; (b) reviewing Jung’s thoughts on the trait, along with the use of the
term by other depth psychologists and its relation to the introverted attitude
and intuitive function

Let's continue

Aron said:
As for the empirical relation of questionnaire measures of the function and sensitivity, a dominant intuitive function is typical of the self-identified sensitive person (Aron 1996). It is rare in my experience to find a sensitive person who is neither introverted nor intuitive. (Sensitive individuals are about equally likely to evidence on questionnaires a strong thinking or feeling function.) Thus, given the emphasis on thorough subjective processing of information found Jung’s concept of innate sensitiveness within the definitions of intuition, introversion, and sensitiveness, all three seem, in this sense only, to be nearly equivalent.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Well, quote later research if you must, but her book was written in 1996 and I want to see if she uses the word "Jung" in it at all.

-----

You know, there's an interesting new thesis that correlates introversion as a point on the autism spectrum, not as an opposite to extroversion nor on a sliding scale of introversion to extroversion.

I'll make a new thread on that later.

You guys make me lol big time.

:hug: to you all, I will be back later after I skim HSP book, which I dislike btw, because a lot of it FEELS wrong.

A

Anew Leaf

I have learned something....

and now I have forgotten something.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
FYI, Elaine Aron does mention Carl Jung in her book, "The Highly Sensitive Person" and she does see an HSP as being a person of Jung's "innate sensitiveness" but it's more of a cart before the horse issue.

She states, "That Jung wrote about HSP's is a little known fact. (I did not know this when I began my work on the trait.)" pg 36

Here's an interesting little excerpt: "I want to emphasize that being an HSP is not the same as being socially introverted. In my studies, I have found that 30% of us [HSP's] are socially extraverted." pg 98

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FYI, Elaine Aron does mention Carl Jung in her book, "The Highly Sensitive Person" and she does see an HSP as being a person of Jung's "innate sensitiveness" but it's more of a cart before the horse issue.

She states, "That Jung wrote about HSP's is a little known fact. (I did not know this when I began my work on the trait.)" pg 36

Here's an interesting little excerpt: "I want to emphasize that being an HSP is not the same as being socially introverted. In my studies, I have found that 30% of us [HSP's] are socially extraverted." pg 98

Don't worry, in no time he'll have you believing that "hypersensitivity = introversion," and that all arguments are solved by using the equals sign.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
If-Only-Closed-Minds-Button-(0509).jpg

Socially introverted is not having an introverted or extroverted dominant cognitive function. The dominant cognitive functions attitude is based upon how it 'views' the problem.

I recommend that you step back from labels categorization and focus on what it does.

:wizfreak: