• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is introversion really a good trait?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I am an introvert and I recently read a book on the good traits of introverts - you know, they have deeper relationships, etc.

But I have always felt like I was just introverted because I am terrified of being rejected by people. It's easier to be alone than to risk being rejected all the time. So I have seen it as an undesirable trait and I have worked hard on gaining social skills to overcome that undesirability.

Is introversion truly a gift/positive attribute? Should I embrace it, or keep working on being more social?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
like any other trait, it has positive and negative sides to it.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I am an introvert and I recently read a book on the good traits of introverts - you know, they have deeper relationships, etc.

But I have always felt like I was just introverted because I am terrified of being rejected by people. It's easier to be alone than to risk being rejected all the time. So I have seen it as an undesirable trait and I have worked hard on gaining social skills to overcome that undesirability.

Is introversion truly a gift/positive attribute? Should I embrace it, or keep working on being more social?

This isn't introversion, more like social insecurity.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Also, introversion/extraversion, it's best not to look at it in terms of good or bad. Both have unique qualities, advantages as well as disadvantages. And neither are absolute. It's just that the advantages of being introverted are often not as clear as advantages of being extraverted. For obvious reasons. :D

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Extroverts sometimes wish they could shut up. Like your brain prevents you from speaking right away? Well theirs forces them to speak up or sometimes jump right into something. Nobody has it 'easy', but as fluffywolf pointed out, introverted qualities can go unnoticed, which may make them seem inferior.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Society doesn't like introversion because society likes society(...you understand? Because collective cohesion is necessary for there to be a society?). If you're INFJ, then be careful with that Fe. Create your own values.

wolfy

awsm
Introversion is neutral isn't it? It's just a thing, like extroversion.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Is introversion truly a gift/positive attribute?

Yes.

Should I embrace it, or keep working on being more social?

Both. The goal is not to become an extrovert, but a "comfortable introvert". Comfortable in your own skin, whether by yourself or in the presence of others. Sometimes that's a lifelong process, but that's the direction I believe we introverts should move towards.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This isn't introversion, more like social insecurity.
Well, that fear of rejection is something that often accompanies introversion.
What INTPness just said would be true.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Introversion is neutral isn't it? It's just a thing, like extroversion.

exactly. This person is creating his/her own problem.

wildflower

i've also read that shyness and introversion are not the same thing. that gives me hope because i can work on the shyness (fear of rejection) even if the introversion has to stay. i wonder though is there such a thing as a shy extrovert?

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think shyness / fear of rejection more frequently occur among introverts than among extraverts, but for the E's, it would be an even bigger problem.
If you're an I without shyness, then you're golden - you can interact with people without problems, but you are not dependent on it.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
i've also read that shyness and introversion are not the same thing. that gives me hope because i can work on the shyness (fear of rejection) even if the introversion has to stay. i wonder though is there such a thing as a shy extrovert?

Yes, there are several extroverts here who consider themselves shy.

Shyness = discomfort in certain social situations
Introversion = preference for less stimulation and interaction, and more working with ideas internally. Less tends to go on outside, more inside.

They often do go together, but not always, and you can be one without the other. I do think some common traits in introverts cause us to struggle more with it, including the higher level of "mental chatter", which can lead to a lot of worrying about events beforehand and ruminating over them after. Our lower need for interaction can also easily lead to less familiarity and comfort with it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

that's not introversion, it's social phobia. and yes, introversion is wonderful. being an extrovert sucks

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think shyness / fear of rejection more frequently occur among introverts than among extraverts, but for the E's, it would be an even bigger problem.
If you're an I without shyness, then you're golden - you can interact with people without problems, but you are not dependent on it.

that has more to do with N/S and T/F. INTJ children typically could care less about being rejected. ISFJ children are the opposite

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Being an introvert is who you are, there's no reason to change it. Plus you can't. I mean if you have something like social anxiety or you're so avoidant you can't function, yes, that's a problem. But that's not inherent to introversion in and of itself.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
that has more to do with N/S and T/F. INTJ children typically could care less about being rejected. ISFJ children are the opposite
um, everyone cares about being rejected. An INTJ is just more likely to rationalize it by saying "I don't need friends anyway, I'll take over the world on my own!" instead of breaking down and killing him/herself.